Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Jun 18, 6:40 AM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,962Thanks
    kittie
    Preserving, it has started
    • 19th Jun 18, 6:40 AM
    Preserving, it has started 19th Jun 18 at 6:40 AM
    Lets get this thread up and running. It is june 2018 and produce will not wait but first I will mention the very best food preservation book I have ever used. You can still get it from amazon for 1p second hand or around £7 new

`home preservation of fruit and vegetables` by AFRC institute of food research

Perhaps people could say what they are growing and picking or buying in bulk.
    Last edited by kittie; 19-06-2018 at 7:31 AM.
Page 4
    • mushypeaman
    • By mushypeaman 9th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    mushypeaman
    Would like to buy this book, 'home preservation of fruit and vegetables by AFRC institute of food research', but can't find it on Amazon. Could you possibly post the ISBN number please?
    Last edited by mushypeaman; 09-08-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added title
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,639 Thanks
    Floss
    Would like to buy this book, 'home preservation of fruit and vegetables by AFRC institute of food research', but can't find it on Amazon. Could you possibly post the ISBN number please?
    Originally posted by mushypeaman
    Link to the Amazon page...
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    The mysteries of canning..... do you have to use new rubber seal things every time you can something new, or can the seals be re used? my freezer is rammed!
    Last edited by purpleivy; 09-08-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • mushypeaman
    • By mushypeaman 9th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    mushypeaman
    Originally posted by Floss
    Many thanks for your prompt reply but that's a dead link.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    If it's pressure canning, then definitely you need a new seal every time (unless they're the re-usable white one)s. For jam or chutney, get jam lids which fit the jars and use them instead - if you're popping something in a jar to keep int he fridge for a day or two, or it's something that doesn't need sealing (dry goods, for example, then you can reuse the seals
    Last edited by Wraithlady; 09-08-2018 at 7:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Aug 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,639 Thanks
    Floss
    Amended with link
    • MisterT
    • By MisterT 10th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MisterT
    I'm not sure a plastic milk bottle would stand up to much jam at 105 deg.C...
    Originally posted by Floss

I can definitely say they do, I've used milk cartons many times.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 10th Aug 18, 11:29 AM
    • 10,022 Posts
    • 46,735 Thanks
    euronorris
    Random question. When you sterilise jars in the dishwasher, I presume you do so without a dishwasher tablet in?

Sorry if it's really obvious, but never done it before, and about to attempt chilli jam tonight (my chilli plants have gone mad!).

Cheers.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 15th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 14,172 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Thanks to the tip-off about jam funnels. I'd been fannying about with a regular funnel; didn't realise you could get wider necked ones. Bought one in Lakeland last night; yes I know it's not a very MSE priced shop, but my reason for a diversion to that part of town were 1) print train tickets from my nearest station (machine out of order so not possible) and 2) buy my type of moisturiser (out of stock) so I felt I needed to buy something to make the trip worthwhile...
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Jam funnels are also really good for filling storage jars with dry goods like flour, sugar or rice
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Aug 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 8,991 Thanks
    Living proof
    Jam funnels are also really good for filling storage jars with dry goods like flour, sugar or rice
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    I use the salt dispenser which came with my dishwasher. The dishwasher is pants, but the funnel is great!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 17th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Is it a bumper year for figs? 2 neighbours stopped by with some. I baked half with honey, and bottled the rest. I have only just realised that the Americans call 'canning' what I call 'bottling'.
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 17th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    I think it is, maybe because of the heat. I picked 10 ripe ones today, not counting 2 that the birds or wasps had been at. I've never before picked that many in one yer fatter than usual, and plenty more to come.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 18th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I've found all the fruit trees to be doing well this year. Our plums were the best season yet. There is a pear tree that is struggling under the weight of the fruit. We also have a quince tree which 2 years ago we got 3 quinces off yet this year is absolutely dripping with them. Looking forward to making some jelly when they are ready.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 18th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 8,347 Posts
    • 29,320 Thanks
    Primrose
    Originally posted by Wraithlady
    They are also very handy for filling empty loo rolls with compost to start off your climbing beans but so be sure to sterilise it properly afterwards !
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 18th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 8,347 Posts
    • 29,320 Thanks
    Primrose
    I did enquire on another thread somewhere but wonder if somebody has some failsafe ways of oven drying some of my surplus tomato crop and storing it afterwards. Im conscious storing in oil could cause bacterial infection but freezing it then defrosting is sometimes a hassle if yiu just want a couple as a savoury topping for someth8ng.
    Am also unsure how long these will store safely in the fridge.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 19th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 24,908 Thanks
    Mirů
    Help! Please may I consult the collective wisdom of fellow preservers? A few days ago a friend promised me 10 kilos of damsons and I planned to make jam and chutney with them. On receiving them this morning I was told that they had been picked several days ago and that they are very ripe. Upon emptying them out to rinse them I have noticed a rather strong alcoholic smell and some liquid seepage in the bottom of the buckets they were transported in. I'm assuming they have started to ferment! My question is....is it OK to still use them? I am all set up with all the other ingredients and ready to start but just wonder if it is wise to continue? Should I just bin the lot and ask around for some more fresh damsons?

(I now have a kichen infested with rather merry fruit flies. )
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 19th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 9,208 Posts
    • 59,165 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Damson wine, perhaps?
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge October. 10/20
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 19th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 24,908 Thanks
    Mirů
    Damson wine, perhaps?
    Originally posted by Nargleblast

Thanks....just had a squiz at some recipes but I don't have any of the equipment or ingredients to do that. Never made wine before!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8,347 Posts
    • 29,320 Thanks
    Primrose
    I hate to say this but you're probably best putting them in your compost heap. unless yiu are physically abso,utwly starving and have nothing else to eat Trying to rescue fruit or veg which is go8ng bad is a waste of your time and other ingredients.
    What a shame though. I,d thoroughly wash any which look as if they can be saved and make a smaller quantity but really it's not worth your time making preserves with ooor ingredients. Sadly unlike good wine, I don,t think they'll improve with age and storage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,774Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin