Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jun 18, 10:28 AM
    • 9,109Posts
    • 21,953Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Brexit discussions
    • 18th Jun 18, 10:28 AM
    Brexit discussions 18th Jun 18 at 10:28 AM
    Hi folks

We're considering placing a ban on all discussion about Brexit.

It would be a shame to do this. We feel many of you are able to discuss the topic in a friendly manner.

However, my team is receiving too many reports about posts that are

a) rude about another forum member
    b) argumentative
    c) disagreement
    d) opinionated
    e) don't break our rules.

Please help my team out by being considerate of other forum members and not reporting posts simply because you disagree with what's being said.

Thank you
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 6
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 24,671 Posts
    • 98,469 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    It would help if the mythical Ignore Button existed.

It's not hard to do, it could be on a dropdown from the user name, accessible when clicking on their profile or really obvious on the sidebar with their user name and post count or next to the Report Post/Spam buttons.

I've done it twice and promptly forgotten how to do it again, which is annoying when you're at the point of being irritated or bored enough with a poster to want to blank as much of them as possible - and likely adds to the report tally.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Mum of 1
    • By Mum of 1 12th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Mum of 1
    I'd like to formally ask the team to consider vivatifosi's proposal to set a minimum number of posts or a minimum length of membership before new users can see/post on DT.

It makes a complete farce of the work of the mods for someone to be PPR'd then immediately make a new account for the purposes of continuing to break the forum rules.

Making it so users have to have been members of the site for - say - a month and have made 100 posts or have gained 100 thanks before being able to access the discussion forums would mean it would be much more difficult for 'professional agitators' to cause trouble.

The functionality exists - as demonstrated by MSE Labs - and I think it would decrease the work required by the team on these fora.

Additionally, one of the issues raised in the OP is the number of reports which are made which are not in breach of the forum rules - therefore I would also like mods to consider if there would be benefit to punishing false/vexatious reporting with the same three strike system as for other rule breaches.

If a user habitually reports other users who are not in violation of the rules of the site they are either doing it maliciously or do not understand the site rules - two warnings give ample opportunity to read the rules or to seek clarity via the site feedback area and a third strike to ban the user shows the team do not appreciate it's time being wasted.
    Originally posted by NewShadow
    I've been reading other threads in this "Site Feedback" bit.

Although what you suggest sounds reasonable, given that MSE seem unable to implement solutions to what seem to be longstanding problems like page format glitches ("Apostrophe problems") and copy/paste glitches as well as the grumblings about disappearing posts and threads, I really wouldn't hold out much hope.
    Of an answer even, never mind a solution.

I'm forming the opinion that the forum area really is more of a hindrance to MSE than anything else and (as has been suggested) only continues to exist so that MSE can boast of vast numbers of registered users.
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 12th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    NewShadow
    I've been reading other threads in this "Site Feedback" bit.

Although what you suggest sounds reasonable, given that MSE seem unable to implement solutions to what seem to be longstanding problems like page format glitches ("Apostrophe problems") and copy/paste glitches as well as the grumblings about disappearing posts and threads, I really wouldn't hold out much hope.
    Of an answer even, never mind a solution.

I'm forming the opinion that the forum area really is more of a hindrance to MSE than anything else and (as has been suggested) only continues to exist so that MSE can boast of vast numbers of registered users.
    Originally posted by Mum of 1
    The area is certainly an annoyance - but if we didn't have it then there's a significant risk that every other area of the site would be swamped by distracting political discourse.

At least now we can keep them where we can see them
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 26% = 25,000 + 800pm * 10 months = 33,000

Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
    • Mum of 1
    • By Mum of 1 12th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Mum of 1
    The area is certainly an annoyance - but if we didn't have it then there's a significant risk that every other area of the site would be swamped by distracting political discourse.

At least now we can keep them where we can see them
    Originally posted by NewShadow
    Maybe the answer lays in what you just said?
    Instead of Brexit, BoJo/Mogg/Corbyn/Abbot and Labour/Tory threads in DT and elsewhere, why not have an "All things political" or somesuch heading?
    Then everything related to "distracting political discourse" is in one place and - rather than disappearing threads - discussions falling foul of other headings could be moved there.
    A suitable warning/advice header in the thread regarding content should do the job of making clear what is acceptable and what is not.

I still think I'm more likely to see unicorns in my garden that I am to see a logical solution in MSE, sadly.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 12th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    David Aston
    Brexit thread closed?
    Could I just point out that this is a subject of such importance, perhaps the moderators should just let us run amok!
    After all, it will also be their futures, and their kids, badly set back.
    How can us remainers not keep at it?
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 12th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 114,054 Posts
    • 234,252 Thanks
    Quasar
    Ten...
    Nine...
    Eight...
    We do have freedom of thought. Now all we need is a bit of thought.
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 12th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 18,361 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    Seven.....
    Six.....
    Five....
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    How can us remainers not keep at it?
    Originally posted by David Aston
    Remoaners you mean

But I don't know what happened to the thread, it either got closed, deleted or moved?
    "If you run into a difficult person in the morning, you ran into an difficult person. If you run into difficult people all day.. you're the difficult person."

cleaned up version of Raylan Givens quote, Justified
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 12th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    NewShadow
    Here you go

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5857666

You'll want to skip to the last few pages

• Graham_Devon
    • By Graham_Devon 12th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 53,422 Posts
    • 115,908 Thanks
    Graham_Devon
    Think we are only allowed to sing come-by-ahh with each other now aren't we?

Strange thing is, this insistance on removing threads just grows anger. I completely get that MSE doesn't want to get sued - but that surely shows the issues we face right now, if silencing people is now the preferred method of controlling a bunch of people.
    Last edited by Graham_Devon; 12-08-2018 at 5:40 PM.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 12th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Remoaners you mean
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    Comments like that are one reason it got closed!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 12th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    NewShadow
    I really, really wish we could have signature images...

• fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Comments like that are one reason it got closed!
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Don't blame me, I don't think I ever posted on the Brexit thread. I'm just taking the mickey, really. This thread'll go in a few minutes, once the BG finds it
    "If you run into a difficult person in the morning, you ran into an difficult person. If you run into difficult people all day.. you're the difficult person."

• Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 12th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 5,524 Posts
    • 18,361 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    We have until 17 September to nominate MSE forums for a "Freedom of Expression Awards Fellowship".

See details of the organisation at https://www.indexoncensorship.org/what-we-do/

Form an orderly queue.

Or maybe not. .

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
    • melbury
    • By melbury 12th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10,248 Posts
    • 16,278 Thanks
    melbury
    Don't blame me, I don't think I ever posted on the Brexit thread. I'm just taking the mickey, really. This thread'll go in a few minutes, once the BG finds it
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    Oh I posted on it all the time.

Will miss having a good old moan at all the lovely people who voted to stay within the blissful European Union, whereas I am one of the people who upset the apple cart by voting out and
    putting my good faith in our wonderful country being free to deal with the rest of the world in any way we choose
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• Quasar
    • By Quasar 12th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 114,054 Posts
    • 234,252 Thanks
    Quasar
    I don't understand how people can get so irked and hot under the collar in a discussion. Ok, someone has a different opinion. Ok, someone maybe uses the wrong words, and lo and behold - another takes offence thinking they are the target (paranoia much?).

It's the !!!!!!!g internet where everyone is anonymous. If one feels they have to report a thread/post because they can't cope with other people's comments and opinions, how on earth do they go through daily life???
    We do have freedom of thought. Now all we need is a bit of thought.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 12th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    David Aston
    Newshadow, I'd like to comment on your pictograms, but I might get banned before we get going.
    I do try to find humour everywhere. For instance, Bojo can make his comments on the bhurka because, although he isn't a comedian, he is a joke.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Newshadow, I'd like to comment on your pictograms, but I might get banned before we get going.
    I do try to find humour everywhere. For instance, Bojo can make his comments on the bhurka because, although he isn't a comedian, he is a joke.
    Sshhh, the Rowan Atkinson thread got closed too, so that subject's off limits as well.

• fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    My crocodile thread got closed, too, and the one asking why it was closed got deleted.

Someone out there not keen on crocs, perhaps. Maybe there was an investiGATOR who looked into it and closed the thread after only 4 posts!

• NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 12th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 13,404 Thanks
    NewShadow
    You could report me instead - seems to be the fashion around these parts

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,493Posts Today

8,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin