Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 83
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 16th Jun 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Vodafone an EE are advertising very competitive rates for fibre with GUARANTEED minimum fibre speeds.
    I am with BT (on copper) getting downloads of less than 1mb and BT are advising that even to upgrade i wont get much more than 5mb and then the service will be a bit unstable due to the distance from the exchange
    Can the other firms really guarantee a speed when they are just piggy backing off of the BT infrastructure?
    I need to decide whether to go to Vodafone or EE and chance that it will be better - or stick with the poor service i get now as it is the devil i know! My gut says JFDI as it cant be any worse than it is now!
    Thoughts welcomed as i need to decide whether to terminate the BT contract. Thanks
    Originally posted by BarryBridges
    Those speed guarantees are for customers who have lines that meet the requirements. If your line is unable to support a fibre connection, then they won't accept you as a customer.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 16th Jun 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    If the others are piggy backing off BT then it's quite doubtful you'll get better. As far as the ISP goes I believe BT emphasize quality (which is why its expensive). To be honest if you're not doing anything mission critical (lol) then the average user is much better off going for the cheapest service available for the mere question value.
    Originally posted by ffox
    Yes, that is what their marketing department says.
    • geordiepaul2001
    • By geordiepaul2001 23rd Jun 18, 10:36 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    geordiepaul2001
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the 80 cashback through TopCashBack and the 100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd Jun 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 19,240 Thanks
    mije1983
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the 80 cashback through TopCashBack and the 100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul
    Originally posted by geordiepaul2001

The 100 Mastercard is a uSwitch exclusive isn't it? If so, you won't be able to get both as you'll need to go via uSwitch to get that, or TCB to get the cashback.

• afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 24th Jun 18, 6:13 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    Hi guys,

TIA

Paul
    Originally posted by geordiepaul2001
    If you clicked through TCB and the mastercard 100 is showing on the website of EE still you will get both. I haven't looked at this specific deal but in the past I have done similar via Quidco and got both the Quidco Cashback and the Mastercard prepaid.
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    Not sure what section to post this in as it is more contract related than anything else. I am with Virgin, my 12 month contract ends on 31st July. We are moving to NowTV. Virgin have said the broadband and tv will be set to disconnect on 5th august as I have to give 30 days notice.

Where do I stand on this contractually? If I am out of contract on 31st July, they surely cannot force me to give 30 days notice. I don't see that as a reasonable period to disconnect someone, I see it as a scam to squeeze more money out of people. The large discounts I currently have will expire on 31st July as well, so for 5 days I will probably end up paying another 10.

I wonder whether I can insist they disconnect it on 31st July.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 33,316 Posts
    • 39,271 Thanks
    Browntoa
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Jul 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 19,240 Thanks
    mije1983
    Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?
    Originally posted by ewokuk

You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.

• ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Hmmm ok 5th Aug it is then .
    • solvent saver
    • By solvent saver 12th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    solvent saver
    On the online chat, I was quoted 25.50 per month, plus 30 installation to upgrade my TalkTalk to fibre. But a phone call secured 22.50 and no installation costs (60 cancelled out by 60 credit) and no extra cost for router. Success.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,768Posts Today

8,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin