Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 83
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 16th Jun 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Vodafone an EE are advertising very competitive rates for fibre with GUARANTEED minimum fibre speeds.
    I am with BT (on copper) getting downloads of less than 1mb and BT are advising that even to upgrade i wont get much more than 5mb and then the service will be a bit unstable due to the distance from the exchange
    Can the other firms really guarantee a speed when they are just piggy backing off of the BT infrastructure?
    I need to decide whether to go to Vodafone or EE and chance that it will be better - or stick with the poor service i get now as it is the devil i know! My gut says JFDI as it cant be any worse than it is now!
    Thoughts welcomed as i need to decide whether to terminate the BT contract. Thanks
    Originally posted by BarryBridges
    Those speed guarantees are for customers who have lines that meet the requirements. If your line is unable to support a fibre connection, then they won't accept you as a customer.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 16th Jun 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    If the others are piggy backing off BT then it's quite doubtful you'll get better. As far as the ISP goes I believe BT emphasize quality (which is why its expensive). To be honest if you're not doing anything mission critical (lol) then the average user is much better off going for the cheapest service available for the mere question value.
    Originally posted by ffox
    Yes, that is what their marketing department says.
    • geordiepaul2001
    • By geordiepaul2001 23rd Jun 18, 10:36 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    geordiepaul2001
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the 80 cashback through TopCashBack and the 100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 23rd Jun 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Hi guys,

My Origin broadband deal is running out and it look like the cheapest standard broadband deal is with EE at the moment.
    Does anyone know if I can claim the 80 cashback through TopCashBack and the 100 prepaid Mastercard or is it a case of choosing one or the other?

TIA

Paul
    Originally posted by geordiepaul2001

The 100 Mastercard is a uSwitch exclusive isn't it? If so, you won't be able to get both as you'll need to go via uSwitch to get that, or TCB to get the cashback.

• afmfifgh
    • By afmfifgh 24th Jun 18, 6:13 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    afmfifgh
    Hi guys,

TIA

Paul
    Originally posted by geordiepaul2001
    If you clicked through TCB and the mastercard 100 is showing on the website of EE still you will get both. I haven't looked at this specific deal but in the past I have done similar via Quidco and got both the Quidco Cashback and the Mastercard prepaid.
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    Not sure what section to post this in as it is more contract related than anything else. I am with Virgin, my 12 month contract ends on 31st July. We are moving to NowTV. Virgin have said the broadband and tv will be set to disconnect on 5th august as I have to give 30 days notice.

Where do I stand on this contractually? If I am out of contract on 31st July, they surely cannot force me to give 30 days notice. I don't see that as a reasonable period to disconnect someone, I see it as a scam to squeeze more money out of people. The large discounts I currently have will expire on 31st July as well, so for 5 days I will probably end up paying another 10.

I wonder whether I can insist they disconnect it on 31st July.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 33,867 Posts
    • 39,998 Thanks
    Browntoa
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    No , their terms and conditions say 30 days , you signed up for that term when you joined
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Jul 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Surely that's when you have a contract, without a contract what legal right do they have to demand any given period of time? What is to stop them saying we want 100 days notice?
    Originally posted by ewokuk

You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.

• ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 5th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ewokuk
    You still have a contract. Your contract is not ending on 31st July. You are simply out of your minimum term.

30 days is standard across communications contracts.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Hmmm ok 5th Aug it is then .
    • solvent saver
    • By solvent saver 12th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    solvent saver
    On the online chat, I was quoted 25.50 per month, plus 30 installation to upgrade my TalkTalk to fibre. But a phone call secured 22.50 and no installation costs (60 cancelled out by 60 credit) and no extra cost for router. Success.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 25th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Latest Sky Deal is Rubbish
    MSE claims in the latest newsletter that the latest Sky deal is the best for 16 months.

Whilst that is true, that simply reflects the poor competition in the Broadband market which IMO are a result of the CMA allowing companies to merge.

Prior to the mergers Sky used to offer 3 cheap deals a year, one at around 65 and two at around 99, they also had a deal for 5.35 for the year including line rental and router.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband

So why is this deal rubbish?
    • Because "You must not have EVER registered an account with Sky or Sky Broadband" previously it was in the last year and it only applied to Broadband.
    • The final deal price is not exactly cheap, 100 per annum was previously offered twice a year, just because MSE no longer gets us the best deals (for 16 months) does not mean this is good value.
    • The actual monthly price is ABOVE AVERAGE, it costs 20 a month and reverts to a rip off 30 thereafter, you can get fibre for around 20 a month, BUT this is basic broadband "with average speeds of 11Mb"
    • This deal is one of those AWFUL prepaid credit card and voucher schemes, you have only to look at these forums to see how many people have NOT BEEN PAID, so while you are promised "Get a 50 prepaid Mastercard & 100 M&S voucher" There is a chance you will not get it and there is not even a reminder. EVEN IF IT PAYS YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT 90 DAYS!!
    • The deal quotes a SETUP price of 9.95 AND it says "If you don't have a line (or for those with a cable one or, IN A FEW OTHER CASES), it's 20, you'll be told before you commit." well I have recommended Sky deals in the past and set them up for people. These have been in standard BT line premises, with previous broadband from Plusnet and BT, they were charged 30.
    • Sky has hiked the cost of the Router by over 65% from 6 to 9.95, previously they have even given it free, but the real smack in the teeth is that it is a 2 port crappy router. Sky will not provide you with the login credentials so you can't use your own router without hacking the router (beyond most people's capability). I think the router is included in the setup fee here but it is the same naff router.
    As if this was not enough, by taking up this deal you have to be prepared to sell your data soul to Broadband Genie to use and abuse for marketing purposes.

It is a great shame that MSE is no longer THE place for the best broadband deals, it is tedious and time consuming to compare all the sites and I do not like the new broadband price compare thing, I find the uSwitch one better, not that they have any better deals.

It seems that this thread has the best deals but they require things like TopCashBack combined with other deals.

Until Thu 26 July, Sky newbies can apply via this Sky link* for this deal ; it's a 12mth contract for unlimited broadband and line rental; with average speeds of 11Mb.
    It's available to 90% of the UK. It depends on your postcode ; you're told when applying (or use our new tool Broadband Unbundled). which only shows deals available in your postcode). though you can't get it if you've had Sky b'band, line or TV in the last 12mths.
    1. Unlimited broadband and line rent's 20/mth for 12 months. It'll rise to 30/mth if you stay. No calls included ; see Sky call costs (a touch more than BT).
    2. 9.95 set-up. There's also a 5 card verification fee, refunded on your first bill.
    3. Get a 50 prepaid Mastercard & 100 M&S voucher but you MUST claim them. Annoyingly Sky won't remind you so diarise to use this Mastercard claim link within 90 days of the service being activated. It should arrive within 30 days. Enter your email address on the Broadband Genie page before signing up and you'll be sent your M&S voucher within 90 days of the service being activated.
    - Cost analysis: You'll pay 249.95 for the 12mth contract before calls or new line costs, equiv to 20.83/mth. But if you claim and use the Mastercard and M&S voucher it's 99.95, equivalent to 8.33/mth.
    Anything else?
    - Could Sky hike prices? Sadly, telecoms firms often do, but you may be able to leave penalty-free if it raised phone prices.
    - Need a new line? If you don't have a line (or for those with a cable one or, in a few other cases), it's 20 ; you'll be told before you commit.

Offer T&Cs:

1. New Sky Broadband customers only, i.e. You must not have EVER registered an account with Sky or Sky Broadband in order to qualify for this Gift Card.

2. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other cashback or voucher code promotion from Broadband Genie

3. Your claim will not be valid if you click on any other links or websites after https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk before making your online purchase at Sky Broadband.

4. The transaction must have taken place online during the promotion period (13/07/2018 ; 26/07/2018). Transactions completed over the phone will be considered invalid and will not qualify for a reward

5. Cancelling or returning any items made in your online purchase will deem the claim invalid and you will not receive the M&S Giftcard.

6. Only one M&S Giftcard reward is available per valid transaction and/or household.

7. The promotion runs from 13/07/2018 - 26/07/2018

8. For any questions contact rewards@broadbandgenie.co.uk

9. Offer is only available on standalone Sky Broadband products including Sky Unlimited Broadband, Sky Fibre Broadband and Sky Fibre Max Broadband. This is not valid with Broadband & TV or TV only purchases

You will be sent an email including your voucher from Broadband Genie once your sale has been confirmed by the provider. This can take up to 90 days.

Please check the redemption instructions and terms and conditions of your M&S Giftcard when you receive it.

By entering your details you are confirming that you are happy to receive information from Broadband Genie regarding your purchase

You must enter a valid email address to qualify. Your gift card will be sent via email once your sale has been confirmed by Sky Broadband. If you navigate away from the page during the sale process, we may not be able to track your sale and you will not qualify for your gift card.
    Last edited by mbmonty; 25-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 25th Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    MSE claims in the latest newsletter that the latest Sky deal is the best for 16 months.

Whilst that is true, that simply reflects the poor competition in the Broadband market which IMO are a result of the CMA allowing companies to merge.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband

So why is this deal rubbish?
    • Sky has hiked the cost of the Router by over 65% from 6 to 9.95, previously they have even given it free, but the real smack in the teeth is that it is a 2 port crappy router. Sky will not provide you with the login credentials so you can't use your own router without hacking the router (beyond most people's capability). I think the router is included in the setup fee here but it is the same naff router.

It is a great shame that MSE is no longer THE place for the best broadband deals, it is tedious and time consuming to compare all the sites and I do not like the new broadband price compare thing, I find the uSwitch one better, not that they have any better deals.
    Originally posted by mbmonty
    Hardly MSE's fault and why wouldn't they push it as the best deal for 16 months if it's true.

Why are you quoting (and comparing) a deal from 3 years ago?

The router is the new Sky Q one which is also used by NOWtv (Hub Two) which is rather good in my opinion. Although it does only have 2 LAN ports that's very easily sorted although I'd hazard a guess that most people wouldn't even be aware of it.

How can you find inputting your postcode time consuming? Do you know a quicker method?
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 25th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Hardly MSE's fault and why wouldn't they push it as the best deal for 16 months if it's true.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    It is all in my post.....

Why are you quoting (and comparing) a deal from 3 years ago?
    To show how useless MSE has become at blagging genuine good deals as they have in the past

The router is the new Sky Q one which is also used by NOWtv (Hub Two) which is rather good in my opinion. Although it does only have 2 LAN ports that's very easily sorted although I'd hazard a guess that most people wouldn't even be aware of it.
    I have used it and compared it to BT and Plusnet AC Routers as well as my own, I compared the signal quality using wifi software used by installers of site wifi solutions. The performance is mediocre at best, if you are a Sky TV customer you would use one of the ports and if you had a laptop with naff wifi you would use the other, this leave no free ports.

If you find it "rather good" then I guess your needs are pretty basic, but most people need 4 ports and a signal that can be used around the house (I even had a friend with a 1 bed flat where they could not get a good signal in every room).

How can you find inputting your postcode time consuming? Do you know a quicker method?
    The layout of the page is time consuming, it is a lead gen funnel, I do not want to give my postcode or email I just want to search for a price.

Yes I do know a quicker method, use another broadband comparison site, where input of personal data is optional, for example

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband

https://broadband.gocompare.com/#/?productType=broadband,phone

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/deals_and_offers/

Using mandatory fields annoys people, none of the sites above force you to enter a postcode
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    • 11,230 Posts
    • 4,902 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Two of the sites are indeed asking for my Postcode .
    One not .
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 25th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    As some deals are area specific, giving your post code improves your chances of finding a good deal.

Comparing current deals to ones that are several years old is pointless. It doesn't matter what I could have got three years ago, I can't get that now. The only valid comparison is with what else is available at the present time. By all means complain that the deals being offered now are not as good as they used to be, but don't try to draw from that some sort of inference that a cheap deal now isn't really cheap.

I doubt very much that "most people" need or use four LAN ports. Most people don't connect things via ethernet, preferring WiFi for convenience. While having more ports is a bonus, I am unconvinced that it is a necessity for "most people". Perhaps, however, you would like to provide some evidence to support this conjecture.

Your comments about WiFi performance ignore the many things that can interfere with a signal, including channel congestion; other radio wave interference; poor quality WiFi adapters; house construction (the placing of steels is a particular issue, and one common in blocks of flats). I have no experience with Sky's router, but your evaluation of it is extremely unscientific.

I agree about the claimable pre-paid Mastercard and M&S vouchers.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 25th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If you find it "rather good" then I guess your needs are pretty basic, but most people need 4 ports and a signal that can be used around the house (I even had a friend with a 1 bed flat where they could not get a good signal in every room).

Yes I do know a quicker method, use another broadband comparison site, where input of personal data is optional, for example

Using mandatory fields annoys people, none of the sites above force you to enter a postcode
    The two posts above cover everything pretty much but just to reiterate, I am a Sky TV subscriber which is connected via WiFi as is the smart TV for Netflix which both work flawlessly. We also have 2 smart phones, the wife's tablet and a WiFi extender upstairs which has the sons PC plugged in. Only one of the LAN ports is used which is for my PC since the router is sat on the same desk.

I would posit that this is fairly commonplace rather than "basic" unless you have evidence to prove otherwise.

As stated previously your postcode is required so that you're not wasting time on deals that just aren't available to you. Which do you think is the quicker method there?

BTW, two of those sites you list (GoCompare & Broadbandchoices) appear to to be the same site or at least use the same search engine.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 25th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    Two of the sites are indeed asking for my Postcode .
    One not .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Yes but if you scroll down the deals are there, no need to enter postcode unless you want to.

The postcode is supposed to tell you if you are going to be ripped off because your exchange is out of town etc, but In my experience this is not accurate, so pointless putting in.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 25th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    mbmonty
    As some deals are area specific, giving your post code improves your chances of finding a good deal.

Comparing current deals to ones that are several years old is pointless. It doesn't matter what I could have got three years ago, I can't get that now. The only valid comparison is with what else is available at the present time. By all means complain that the deals being offered now are not as good as they used to be, but don't try to draw from that some sort of inference that a cheap deal now isn't really cheap.

I doubt very much that "most people" need or use four LAN ports. Most people don't connect things via ethernet, preferring WiFi for convenience. While having more ports is a bonus, I am unconvinced that it is a necessity for "most people". Perhaps, however, you would like to provide some evidence to support this conjecture.

Your comments about WiFi performance ignore the many things that can interfere with a signal, including channel congestion; other radio wave interference; poor quality WiFi adapters; house construction (the placing of steels is a particular issue, and one common in blocks of flats). I have no experience with Sky's router, but your evaluation of it is extremely unscientific.

I agree about the claimable pre-paid Mastercard and M&S vouchers.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I was just trying to show the trend, I had a 65 deal end in 2017, so is not so long ago I was paying 5.41 a month.

There was a time when MSE blagged us good deals, now the market is cutting off cheap deals on broadband either because they do not feel the need to compete or because they want to force us all onto fibre.

The behaviour is cartel like.

That is fine for people with deep pockets but it creates a whole underclass of people who can't afford those prices.

I am wondering if there have been two sky 2 port routers?

Ports simply give better performance, even if they were 100mb it is dedicated, while wifi capacity is shared. People do not know their needs, but it does not take much, a NAS to backup your photos, a media centre to strean video from a PC, a Roku3 ethernet, a Sky TV box, an old laptop.

All because Sky could not be bothered to pay 20p for two extra ports, the industry standard is 4 ports.

All other providers have routers with at least 4 ports, some even with gigabit ports.

Unscientific? My analysis of sky router is on something called Real World Experience, if as you say you have never had one, you are not really in a position to offer credible comment. I compared the router to others in the same property, even the old Sky 4 port router was far better. Structural interference would have been the same, the 2 port sky router should have been better, it is AC (albeit the worst on the market based on the software I used - BT was best, Plusnet was same as old BT), so it would not have been affected by so many old wifi N signals and AC has a better way of handling congestion.

I would not care except Sky do not provide the login credentials so you can't even use your own router without hacking.

If Sky are going to say, USE OUR ROUTER OR NOTHING, they have to provide a decent router and do not get me started on the admin portal, it is dire.

Well at least we agree on the claimable mastercard etc.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Jul 18, 3:40 PM
    • 11,230 Posts
    • 4,902 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <Yes but if you scroll down the deals are there <

11 deals only and will not give me TV deals ;without Postcode

11 deals only but will let me find tv deals

More than 11 deals and lets me find tv deals .

Putting in a postcode to give me more information would please me rather than the nonsense you posted about being ripped off .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 25-07-2018 at 3:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter