Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 16th Jun 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,137Posts
    • 3,405Thanks
    crunch_time
    Crunchy's Final Debt Free Diary!
    • 16th Jun 18, 12:12 PM
    Crunchy's Final Debt Free Diary! 16th Jun 18 at 12:12 PM
    Hello everyone!

Yesterday I celebrated 4 years of keeping a diary on here!

So much has changed in that time. We have moved house twice, welcomed our daughter into the family and paid down a whole lot of debt and also racked up a whole lot more.

Last year we managed to pay off around 12k of a loan in about 5-6 months and a year ago we had only 2800 left to go. We then decided to move and at the same time I quit a job I hated to do a course and I'm now about to set up a business doing something that I love.

Moving house and living off one income has meant that we are now around 13k in debt again. I no longer feel guilty about it I just want to pay it off as soon as possible in a sustainable way that has little impact on our current living standards (we are quite frugal but could def improve).

I'm calling this the final diary as I really mean it. This is my 5 diary I think in 4 years and we want to get our lifestyle nailed once and for all so we don't have to do this again and can move onto tackling our HUGE mortgage!

I look forward to this challenge and hope that you will join me!

Crunchy x
    LBM 16/6/14 23,555 Paid off April 2017!!
    Then changed careers and moved house!
    Debt 16th June 2018 = 13,116 vs now 12,896
    Emergency Fund - 490
Page 2
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 29th Jun 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning all

Pay day is finally here! 20 extra for some reason! More towards the EF.

Three out of four credit cards have been paid - min amounts. Just need to pay the 4th one, take the cash out for the pots and then save the excess into a savings account.

Food shop done 71.
    Toiletries, cleaning products and pet food done 58
    Diesel bought - 50 - aiming for this to last the week. It really should do.

We have a quiet weekend planned of weeding, car washing, BBQ, paddling pool etc.

Next thing I am working on - frugal meals!

Crunchy xx
    Emergency Fund - 490
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 29th Jun 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    crunch_time
    I'm just stopping by to say I have updated my signature into a more simple one. EF is currently at 44 and we have paid off 220 of the debt so far!! Debt currently stands at 12,896 so we are not in the 'teens' anymore which is a great start!

This month my main focuses are sticking within the food budget and weaning the husband off his credit card.

Crunchy
    Emergency Fund - 490
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 2nd Jul 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Evening!

Tax rebate has come through so the EF line of signature has been updated! I will have to dip into it as forgot to budget for a wedding present (50). Husband also had an impromptu trip to London for work which involved catching up with a friend over drinks so we may need to chip into it again by the end of the month.

I have paid the nursery bill which was as budgeted - 45. We won't have to pay anything in August as she wont be there but we will have to pay 100 a month roughly from September. We qualify for the 30 hours but the government doesn't pay the nursery enough money to cover its costs so they charge an extra 1 an hour she is there. We have decided to set up childcare vouchers from September. Our annual bill will be 1014 for the academic year but makes sense to claim as husband is a higher rate tax payer.

I'm coming to the end of my course in the next few weeks so will be ready to hustle come the end of this month. Absolutely LOADS to do this month then!

Still doing our best to breathe in this month but might have to dip into the EF - but at least it is there and we can top it properly next month with husbands pay rise.

Crunch xx
    Emergency Fund - 490
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 3rd Jul 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Morning

I have rung up the children's swimming provider today and got the low down on how the direct debit works. First payment won't go out until 20th August so the money I have put aside for this month can be swished into the emergency fund! Hurrah! So it now stands at 554!

However, My sunglasses have broken so I need to buy another pair today, Nothing fancy but setting a budget of 20 so this will go down later. I also might not have enough money in the haircuts pot this month. Will look at this later - may have to make a withdrawal from the EF for this.

Crunchy x
    Emergency Fund - 490
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 13th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Wow - ten days since my last update! Sorry!

We've been very busy.

- Stuck to budget for new sunglasses - 20
    - Hair up for the wedding we went to at weekend was - 35 - more than I expected but it did look pretty

Both theses have come out of emergency fund.

- DD for breakdown insurance has come out of my account - 35! Must be an automatic review. I'm sure I can get it cheaper so shall investigate. Money will come out of emergency fund.
    - Husband got a parking ticket the other day - bit bleary-eyed from wedding and just forgot. Annoyed. Another emergency fund thing! But I can't find where the paperwork is at the moment.
    - we have just enough food money to last the month so long as we are sensible. Same with fuel but may have to dip into it for some spending money but aiming to keep the next few weekends frugal now the wedding is over with.

Payday is two weeks today! I will be launching my business in the next two weeks so its about to get verrrrrrry busy over here.

Crunchy xx
    Emergency Fund - 490
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,328Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin