Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 16th Jun 18, 12:27 AM
    • 104Posts
    • 129Thanks
    Caspeia
    Losing control, time to take charge.
    • 16th Jun 18, 12:27 AM
    Losing control, time to take charge. 16th Jun 18 at 12:27 AM
    I had a diary that I last updated in December but life has changed a bit so thought I'd make a new diary.

I've really been struggling with my mental health over the past few years and this has resulted in me gaining pounds on the scale and pounds of debt also!

I hadn't quite realised how bad things have gotten over the 6 months. My husband has had multiple jobs as he could only get short contracts after getting fired last November and I'm on maternity leave right now. He is now working two jobs and I'm due back to work end of July, however childcare is going to be a nightmare so trying to find a better job before then. I had an interview today so I'm hoping I get it!

Our debt totals stand at:
    Halifax: 523.05 (19.9%)
    TSB: 775 (0% until Sept 2018)
    Lloyds: 3998.66 (some of this was a 0% balance transfer until March 2019 and the rest is 0% until November 2019)
    Sofa: 1122.24 (0% and on monthly payment plan)

Total: 6418.95

The halifax card was cleared until a few weeks ago and my car failed its MOT and I had to put it on the credit card as I had no way to pay it. I also had to use the kids savings account this month as tax credits cut our money by 300 this month and my husband got emergency taxed this month so we ended up being completely skint.

I'm determined to clear this debt so we can start saving up for a deposit on a house. I'd like to be buying our own place by the time the youngest is 5 so that gives us just over 4 years to do it.
Page 6
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    How much is Prime for a student?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 4th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Cant seem to quote on my phone but student prime is 3.99 a month or 39.99 a year if you pay upfront which I did so its paid until 1st april 2019. I did get it so we have more TV to watch but now I have the added bonus of using it for music. Before hand most of the usage of prime was coming from rewatching all of paw patrol
    We don't have sky or any anything like that. We have an amazon firestick so watch everything on prime, netflix and bbc iplayer.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 4th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Sorry its just a flat 39, 99p cheaper than I thought
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 5th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I didn't spend a penny yesterday! I'm really used to always having a pending payment on my account but there's none.

I want to try and get the kids to eat healthier. They've had the same lunch for months. A cheese or ham sandwich, two fromage frais and a selection of whatever fruit we have. Its just quick and easy. I'm not really happy with the sugar content in yoghurts aimed for children either. My plan is to get some plain yoghurt and blitz some frozen fruit in the food processer up to make some fruity yoghurts for them. We have tiny little tubs in the cupboard which would be a good yoghurt size, I've found 8 tubs that have lids so I will be able to make 8 at a time.
    Over the next two weeks I'm going to experiment and see what things they will eat. They can only cold food for lunch as neither of their childcare will heat up, they can bring hot food in a flask but 1. We don't have any 2. anytime I've used them in the past the food has went cold. Not sure what I've done wrong!

I also want to get rid of the chocolate cereal my daughter eats. Its expensive and I really don't want her to eat chocolate everyday for breakfast. She had some on holiday last year, husband bought her some when we got home and its a habit we haven't managed to break yet. I need to figure out some easy, cheap and healthy breakfast ideas. The baby will happily eat Weetabix (own branded) everyday. He has 1.5 boxes left and he only has one a day so he's sorted for a while. Daughter will not touch Weetabix. I was thinking some breakfast muffins of some sort, I can pack them with fruit & veggies and hopefully she will just think she's getting a cake for breakfast and will eat it.

If anyone has any breakfast and lunch ideas for kids that are healthy, easy and cheap please let me know!
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 5th Aug 18, 10:47 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I've placed an order with sainsburys for next week, 45.42 including delivery. I managed to get a 50p slot again. I went through quidco and should get 1 cashback.
    We have 60p cashback sitting in the husbands account which I can't cash out until its over 1 so hopefully that will track soon.
    In my quidco account theres 76.50 tracking, theres 26 I'm confused about as didnt end up actually buying anything I just searched on gocompare. The rest should be paid by november hopefully.

I paid of 3.30 to my 'Pay of line rental challenge'. The line rental money (plus first months payment) was put onto the tesco bank card so its not a priority as longest 0% but just thought it would be a fun challenge. 3 came from the reward I get from my main account and 30p from my husband account as cashback from using his card in coop last month. 3.30/198.88
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 6th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    For my course theres an optional 3 day study week down in Milton Keynes. Its a lab skills class, I want to do it as doing everything online means we get no physical experiment in a lab. It will be expensive though, this years prices are 185 for the week (next years havent been released yet) and then I have to pay for accommodation and travel on top. Its not until next July though. I would need to travel down the day before and stay 3 nights, maybe 4 depending on times.

If I fly down and stay at the hotel they recommend, I'm looking at close to 500 for the trip which is just too expensive. I will need to try and work out how I can get this cheaper as I really want to do
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 6th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    remote_control
    I had a bit of a health kick in the autumn. Managed to get the kids on to plain yoghurt, it took a while for one of them to get used to it but now they both have it and have probably forgotten fruit yoghurt! I often serve it with defrosted frozen fruit.
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 6th Aug 18, 10:47 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    remote_control
    I think the main way I have broken their habits have just been to stop providing the food item. What would happen if you just didn't put yoghurt in there? Could you do cubes of cheese, cucumber and carrot sticks instead? Home popped pop corn? Olives? What about switching to 50 50 bread? I don't know how much more expensive that is though.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    I've placed an order with sainsburys for next week, 45.42 including delivery. I managed to get a 50p slot again. I went through quidco and should get 1 cashback.
    We have 60p cashback sitting in the husbands account which I can't cash out until its over 1 so hopefully that will track soon.
    In my quidco account theres 76.50 tracking, theres 26 I'm confused about as didnt end up actually buying anything I just searched on gocompare. The rest should be paid by november hopefully.

I paid of 3.30 to my 'Pay of line rental challenge'. The line rental money (plus first months payment) was put onto the tesco bank card so its not a priority as longest 0% but just thought it would be a fun challenge. 3 came from the reward I get from my main account and 30p from my husband account as cashback from using his card in coop last month. 3.30/198.88
    Originally posted by Caspeia
    From experience bin quidco and start using top cashback quidco takes an eternity to pay out TC is faster.
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 71.88 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 396.20
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 7th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I've got plain yoghurt and frozen fruit arriving tomorrow. If I took her cereal away she just wouldnt eat anything for breakfast. She'd happily skip it but I'm not happy with her skipping it as she often skips lunch when shes at nursery so just worried she'll eat nothing all day. The baby doesnt care what he gets, as long as its food hes happy. I've hyped up the yoghurt a lot,telling her she gets to mix her blueberries into it and shes excited so fingers crossed shes happy!
    I've got 50/50 bread, its just its a bit boring having sandwiches everyday as they only have cheese or ham on them. I'm not sure what to put on them, they can't have nuts at nursery and I can't face scrambled eggs, I've had an aversion to them since I was little.

I've not heard of top cashback, I will go have a look sainsburys didnt even track, it wont even let me query it
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 10th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I had my first fulltime pay this week. Nothing is going to the credit cards as a lot of things need paid this month. I paid for my daughters next block of swimming which is 43.20 which covers 10 weeks worth, next block is 48 which is due the end of October. I will put aside 4.80 each week so by then we'll have enough to cover it.

The dance shop opens this weekend for the new term so I've put aside money to get the dancing shoes. I've also put 50 into the emergency fund as I realised I hadn't put anything in it with the husbands pay. I'm really happy that swimming and dancing stuff have been paid for in cash, no credit.

Last time I used the credit card was the 16th of July which means its almost a full month since I used it! We've also now got 100 in an emergency savings account. Tax credits have also been updated with the new childcare costs so just a waiting game to see how much they will give us. The first few weeks at work my whole wage will be taken up childcare, hopefully its not too long before tax credits will help out though.

Sainsburys have also sent us a 12 off 50 shop voucher for next weeks shop. I'm really liking getting this delivered. Normally I have to bring the kids shopping as husband works 12hrs most days, I end up buying stuff I don't need. The kids end up wanting things and I end up giving in. I also have no time to look at things and see what cheapest as the kids get bored and try to climb out the trolley so its a case of quickly grab what I can see. I normally come out of the shop with a lot of money spent but not much to actually eat. The past two weeks I've only spent 48.37 and 53.69 in Sainsburys and 19.80 on our amazon milk delivery. 121.86/250. Next weeks shop I plan to get around the 40 mark after the voucher has come off

Tonight we are having meatballs and spaghetti for tea.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    I dident know Amazon delivered milk!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 10th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Its oat milk! When I started breastfeeding the baby I got a huge adversion to cows milk. He was in SCBU and I had to use the breast pump to get him milk. I ended up thinking of the cows and how they to do that everyday for us and it made me upset. I couldn't face drinking cows milk after that as I got upset when I seen it, I'm starting to stop having that reaction when I see it in shops so I might switch back in the future! post birth hormones are weird haha
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    They are indeed!

***Keep plodding***
    • remote_control
    • By remote_control 10th Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    remote_control
    Well done for not using the cards in nearly a month! Keep up the good work!
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 11th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Dancing stuff bought, ended up buying a new leotard as the one we have is a different shade of pink and I dont want her to get picked on for being different. The one we have can be used as a play dress. I put aside 50 to pay for it and it came to 48.50 for the leotard, 2 pairs of shoes and ballet socks.
    The last 1.50 we used to buy ourselves some cakes from the bakery in lidl.
    Yesterday i spent a couple of pounds buying my gran in law a drink and cake to say thank you for driving me to the hospital. I had an eye check up on wednesday where they noticed my eye was swollen at the back. Yesterday I was asked to come in for a check at a hospital an hour away and wasnt allowed to drive home afterwards. Turns out my optic nerve has a lot of excess fluid around it so I'm back in hospital on Tuesday to get a brain scan to make sure theres nothing else lurking they can't see.
    On a more positive note I tried out topcashback. I went for the sun offer to wager 10 and get 20 cashback. I ended up winning 15.25 so cashed that out straight away. 10 to replace what I spent and the 5.25 will go to pay off the line rental. As long as the cashback tracks fine then I'll have earned 25.25 towards my line rental
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well at the hospital.

***Keep plodding***
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 16th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I ended up having to have two CT scans and a lumbar puncture but I now have a diagnosis so I just need to take some tablets to help but the doctor says my weight is a factor so I need to lose weight.

Tax credits have come back and they are only giving us 9 more than before. I increase my childcare costs by 175 per week and I only get 2.25 extra per week. I'll need to try and balance our budget based on this number.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Aug 18, 10:29 AM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,612 Thanks
    beanielou
    I ended up having to have two CT scans and a lumbar puncture but I now have a diagnosis so I just need to take some tablets to help but the doctor says my weight is a factor so I need to lose weight.

Tax credits have come back and they are only giving us 9 more than before. I increase my childcare costs by 175 per week and I only get 2.25 extra per week. I'll need to try and balance our budget based on this number.
    Originally posted by Caspeia
    SW works well for me when I stick to it.
    Hope things get better on the health side soon.

Boo to the tax credits.

***Keep plodding***
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 16th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Okay I've balanced the budget so hopefully it work out. My plan is to keep most of husbands main wage in the bills account. I will add on an extra 115 weekly to cover the childcare costs. This will leave us husbands second wage for food, gas& electric and petrol.

My wage is weekly so I'll use the excess in my wage to use towards the debt repayments and savings. I think it will be motivating as I'll be able to do a debt repayment every single week instead of once a month like I've currently been doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,202Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin