Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 16th Jun 18, 12:27 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 85Thanks
    Caspeia
    Losing control, time to take charge.
    • 16th Jun 18, 12:27 AM
    Losing control, time to take charge. 16th Jun 18 at 12:27 AM
    I had a diary that I last updated in December but life has changed a bit so thought I'd make a new diary.

I've really been struggling with my mental health over the past few years and this has resulted in me gaining pounds on the scale and pounds of debt also!

I hadn't quite realised how bad things have gotten over the 6 months. My husband has had multiple jobs as he could only get short contracts after getting fired last November and I'm on maternity leave right now. He is now working two jobs and I'm due back to work end of July, however childcare is going to be a nightmare so trying to find a better job before then. I had an interview today so I'm hoping I get it!

Our debt totals stand at:
    Halifax: 523.05 (19.9%)
    TSB: 775 (0% until Sept 2018)
    Lloyds: 3998.66 (some of this was a 0% balance transfer until March 2019 and the rest is 0% until November 2019)
    Sofa: 1122.24 (0% and on monthly payment plan)

Total: 6418.95

The halifax card was cleared until a few weeks ago and my car failed its MOT and I had to put it on the credit card as I had no way to pay it. I also had to use the kids savings account this month as tax credits cut our money by 300 this month and my husband got emergency taxed this month so we ended up being completely skint.

I'm determined to clear this debt so we can start saving up for a deposit on a house. I'd like to be buying our own place by the time the youngest is 5 so that gives us just over 4 years to do it.
Page 3
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 28th Jun 18, 11:03 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I've worked out our budget for the month.

Bills: 967
    Electric: 40
    Gas: 60
    Food: 250
    Cats: 132.06 I'm going to put 150 each month in their account to save up for all costs they have, I've taken the cost of the litter I bought this month. Their insurance comes off of this account aswell
    cat food: 172.85 More expensive than previously quoted as I am going to get a couple of the more expensive flavours as I don't want them to get bored, it isn't as many as I used to get though
    Fun: 60
    Tesco CC: 273.54 This was spent this month, crazy amount of money. I'm going to pay this off in full as I don't want to start a new card gathering debt
    Saving: 50
    Lloyds CC: 39.59
    TSB CC: 25
    Other (clothes etc): 60
    Halifax CC: 351.20
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 28th Jun 18, 11:21 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    CC amounts are higher than the first post as I spent on them:

I also just realised that the halifax one will generate interest so going to put the account I was going to be on tesco to the halifax to pay it off in full.

These payments bring out accounts down to:

Halifax: 594.33 to 0
    TSB: 775 to 750
    Lloyds: 395947 to 3919.41
    Sofa: 1122.24 to 1075.48 (payment for this is included in my bills section)
    Tesco: 273.54 to 243.30 (30.24 payment instead of full amount quoted in previous post)

735.92 will be paid off.

My accounts are currently a total of: 6724.11
    This payments will take it down to 5988.66

This works out to be 10.9% of it paid off!
    Last edited by Caspeia; 29-06-2018 at 1:49 PM. Reason: Missed out 47p on lloyds
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 28th Jun 18, 2:09 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    July budgets:
    Food: 250
    Fun: 60
    Other: 60

I took away my petrol allowance as I already fuelled up.

Baby is about to be completely out of his size 3 - 6 month clothes, he some stuff in 6 - 9 months but not sure exactly how much so this weekend I'm going to go through the cupboards and find what he had and work out what he needs.

Another thing we need is a mattress for his cot, he's currently in a snuzpod which attaches to our bed but he has taken to crawling around our bed in the middle of the night. I'm worried he'll end up hurting himself, right now he just crawls over to me and then tries to pull my top up to get milk (I kind of feel like an all you can eat buffet!) but I'm worried he might try and get off the bed though so I think he needs to move into his cot. I've seen quite a few on amazon for around 25. We will also need to some sheets for the cot, I had quite a few when my daughter was a baby but I have no clue where they are! I've searched everywhere!
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 29th Jun 18, 2:16 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I've decided to set a goal to get the debts to under 4000 by the end of the year. It means I need to pay 1988.66 which works out to be 399.73 every month. I hope to pay more but this is the minimum I would like to do.

Budget spent:
    Food: 27.86/250
    Fun: 0 / 60
    Other: 0 / 60

The food money I've spent was on crap mainly. I still need to buy some food for us to actually have this week. Tomorrow we will go to aldi and do a food shop.

I've been buying some things in the coop and I need to work out whats cheaper to buy there. I get a 10% discount with my NUS card and 5% on own brand products back with my membership card. I currently have 1.32 on my membership card.

Unexpected expense today of 114 as we needed to get a locksmith to fix our lock as someone tried to break in. They only got as far as our shared stairwell before the upstairs neighbour caught them when they were halfway up the stairs and they ran. They broke the lock so we have had it replaced. I will be getting the money back from my landlord (family member and I'm seeing them tomorrow) and then upstairs will pay them back their half when he gets back from his business trip on Monday. So when I get this back in cash 100 of it will be split between the gas and electric, 14 back into the food budget.

Cat food has also been ordered which will do us until about the 10th of September. I'm hoping we will have enough in our cats account that when it comes to that we have the money already put aside.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 1st Jul 18, 7:15 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I've really overspent food money wise for only being the start of the month. We have bought enough food for the next week, a couple of things will last the whole month. 23.99 was spent in asda the other day which only bought our tea/snacks for the night

Food 99.82/250
    Fun: 0/60
    other: 0/60

I need to plan what I'm doing this week with the kids so we don't get bored and also that we don't spend much.
    • helsbell
    • By helsbell 1st Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    helsbell
    I'm glad you're burglar was interrupted, shame they broke the lock in the process.
    SPC 11, No. 062

August 2017 B'card 5006.83 BoS 1086.59 DFD November 2020
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 2nd Jul 18, 4:08 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I'm glad you're burglar was interrupted, shame they broke the lock in the process.
    Originally posted by helsbell
    I'm just really thankful my upstairs neighbours have a dog, if they didn't they wouldn't have been on the staircase otherwise as they were taking the dog out for a late night walk. Our door is the first door they come to which is a bit scary to think about.

This has been a recurring problem, they haven't attempted to go up the stairs before but they have raided our bins (they jumped the fence into the garden) and the charity shop next doors donations are always stolen and the stuff they don't want left in the alleyway outside our door. They bring their kids with them and they make the kids raid the bin, my gut feeling is that they are very poor and struggling. My husband tried to speak to them when they were in the alleyway once but they didn't speak any english, they also run if they see us. It worries me that they might be getting more desperate, I hate the fact these children are suffering but at the same time I'm worried that my familys safety might be compromised.
    I think I need to move my pram into the house as I leave it on the staircase and I don't want someone to take it. I couldn't afford to replace it right now, there isn't much room in our flat for it but I'll need to find a space for it.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 2nd Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    We've spent all of today in the house so far but we are going to a wedding reception this evening. I haven't spent any money and don't plan to either. I have a wedding card in the house which I bought for a wedding we went to a few months ago but I forgot to write the card so we'll use that. I'm also just going to bring my water bottle and some juice for the kids in my bag. I will also bring some snacks for them. For tea we are going to just have a snack as we will be getting the buffet at the wedding. I'm not going to bring any cash or bank cards with me so I'm not tempted to spend anything!

Tax credits came in so I could complete the payment to my halifax credit card so that is now paid off!

3 year old has had no accidents in over a week now so I think I can safely say she's fully potty trained, she doesn't need a nappy to bed either so nappy costs have completely halved. For the baby I'm going to use up the size 2 nappies we have in the house before starting to use the reusables again, I don't think he'll be in them for much longer and I don't want them to go to waste. We have 2 packets of 40 nappies to use up.

Tomorrows plans:

- Take cats to vets for vaccinations
    - Fill out paperwork for funding for my university course, I really don't want to be stuck with the 1476 bill for the units I'm starting in October. Luckily I qualify for a grant for my fees so I don't even have to pay them back. Hopefully will post these tomorrow and the cost will come out of my 'other' budget.
    - Make shepards pie for tea, I've been looking for some lamb mince for ages and found some yesterday in Aldi.
    - Find my bank card. I've set up a couple of savings accounts for my seperate budgets, I need to find the bank card that goes with the current account these are connected to. This will be used for all my spending.
    - Look out babies clothes for next size up and make a list of what I need. I don't think I need much
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 4th Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I ended up not following my plan for yesterday, I had a sore head and lost my motivation!

Our cat food arrived yesterday and it was damaged, food still usable but I complained and got a refund of 56.20. This is my head meant I had the green light to spend it as it was 'extra money' in my head. I went out to lunch with my sister which cost 14.10 and for tea we had a chippy and used 10. We don't even have the money in our account for another week.

When the refund comes in I'll repay the accounts and use the remaining 32.10 towards the debt.

Tonight we're having pizza for tea as we're getting the free wuntu pizza deal they have on today, husband is picking his up between jobs and my mums bringing mine to me later on this evening. I will just make some pasta for the children or maybe some veggies fingers, depends what they want.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 4th Jul 18, 3:36 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    CC amounts are higher than the first post as I spent on them:

I also just realised that the halifax one will generate interest so going to put the account I was going to be on tesco to the halifax to pay it off in full.

These payments bring out accounts down to:

Halifax: 594.33 to 0
    TSB: 775 to 750
    Lloyds: 3959.47 to 3919.88
    Sofa: 1122.24 to 1075.48 (payment for this is included in my bills section)
    Tesco: 273.54 to 243.30 (30.24 payment instead of full amount quoted in previous post)

735.92 will be paid off.

My accounts are currently a total of: 6724.11
    This payments will take it down to 5988.66

This works out to be 10.9% of it paid off!
    Originally posted by Caspeia
    I've just checked my accounts:
    Lloyds: 3919.88
    TSB: 750
    Tesco: 237.30
    Sofa: 1075.48

For some reason Tesco account is 6 less than it was before, theres no pending transactions or anything so not sure why it was reading more.

Total: 5982.66

I also checked my statement for the Lloyds card some of this is balance transfer and some of it is purchases.

Purchases: 1550.88( 0% until 1st October 2019)
    Balance transfer: 2369 (0% until 28th March 2019)

My payments go towards the purchases first which is annoying since that is 0% for longer.

My plan of action:

1. Pay off TSB card first as 0% interest is up in September.
    2. Pay off Lloyds card next, try and clear full balance before 28th March.
    3. Pay Tesco card off afterwards.
    4. Overpay on finance for sofa to pay it off early
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 5th Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Thought I was doing really well as I remembered to bring food for the kids to have after swimming. Forgot to bring myself something and Im starving! ended up spending 3.30 in the cafe.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 6th Jul 18, 1:09 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Today I've ordered the babies mattress from amazon and also two cot sheets, 21.58 for the mattress and the cot sheets were 3.65 each for a total of 28.88. This should be arriving tomorrow.

Budget spent:
    Food: 133.82 / 250
    Fun: 0 / 60
    Other: 28.88 / 60

Food budget is a bit over what it should be but we have our food for the next week. I might have to buy some bread mid week but apart from that we should be fine.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 6th Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    My cats all get fed the same amount and I haven't really been paying attention to how much they need. One of the cats is fat, I've always known she was a big cat but at her appointment I was told she was obese and I have to cut her food. This particular cat will eat everyones left overs. So by the vets advice I've cut their food down based on their weights (and the fat cats recommended weight).

Before we were using 500g a day so the 36kg I order would last 72 days. I've cut this down to 400g a day which means the 36kg of food will last 90 days instead.

We were spending 885 a year but with cutting down the amount of more expensive meats we buy and the lower and healthier portion sizes, a years worth of food will be 691.40 which is a saving of 193.60 a year, 21.9% off of the original amount.

I can't believe ordering half the amount of expensive meats and reducing the cats portion size by 25g each per day would make such a difference!

Hopefully the fat cat will lose weight, I don't want her to get ill because she's fat. She needs to lose 3kg. I'm also shutting her away from the other cats when shes getting fed so she doesn't eat anyone elses food.

Including the 22 a year savings on vaccinations and the 72.12 a year saving on the cat litter (assuming I can get the new litter year round), I've saved 287.72 a year on the cats costs which works out to be 24.3% off of the original amount for everything

I love how little changes have made such a difference!
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 8th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Trying to work out a rough budget for when I go back to work.

Tax credit calculator says 550 every 4 weeks but entitled to says 600 every 4 weeks. I'm going to go for a lower estimate of 450 as tax credits never seem to give me what they say they will!

Husband is going to keep his 15hr job until end of November as I've managed to balance childcare until then.

This means our monthly income will be:

Me: 1080
    Husband 1st job: 1100
    Husband 2nd job: 380
    Tax credits: 450
    Child benefit: 137.60

Total: 3147.60

Outgoings:
    Bills 800
    Bus 115.40
    Gas&electric 100
    Petrol 80
    Childcare: 884 (how crazy is it my childcare bill is more expensive than our household bills!)

After this it leaves 1168.20 for food, general spends, debt payments and savings. As long as everything goes smoothly (fingers crossed!) we should be able to pay off our debts pretty fast.

I'm not relying on this though until its in my account, my husband has had multiple jobs in the last few years. He's had very bad luck
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jul 18, 9:35 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,937 Thanks
    beanielou
    Does your bills amount include your rent?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 8th Jul 18, 11:08 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    Does your bills amount include your rent?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes, our rent is 395 so it isn't much.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jul 18, 11:35 PM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,937 Thanks
    beanielou
    Figures looking good for you then.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 9th Jul 18, 1:35 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I can't sleep right now as I'm feeling pretty low and s*** about myself. I need somewhere to just vent my thoughts.
    I'm obese, I've known this for a while but haven't really faced up to it. Just kidding myself that I'm fine.
    I realised earlier that my weight could kill me, I've put myself at an increased risk of health issues. If it was just me I don't think it would bother me as much but I have two kids. If I was to die they might not remember me, the 3 year old might have vague memories but the baby wouldn't remember me. As I've gotten bigger, my self confidence has gotten lower and I don't take any pictures of myself or let anyone take pictures of me. I realised that I barely have any photos of me and the kids so if I was to die there would be no trace of me in their life, no memories and one or two photos.

That thought has broken my heart, I have to be healthier for my children.

I currently weigh 223lbs which puts me at a BMI of 40.7.
    My goal is to be down to 120lbs which would be a BMI of 21.9
    I did manage to go from 233lb to 222lb in May but gave up.

It would be cheaper as well. I can easily have a couple bars of 1 chocolate a day or have take away costing between 10 and 30 for a meal.

103lbs to go, I will do this. For my kids. They need their mum.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 55,533 Posts
    • 222,937 Thanks
    beanielou
    Break it into baby steps.
    1/2 a stone at a time
    With you all the way.

***Keep plodding***
    • Caspeia
    • By Caspeia 9th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Caspeia
    I think I'm going to break it into 21 steps.
    First one being 3lb and the rest being 5lb ones.
    I prefer to use just lbs rather than stones!

This mornings weight: 222.8lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter