Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 15th Jun 18, 1:59 PM
    • 304Posts
    • 880Thanks
    Moguline
    How many school uniform items to buy?
    • 15th Jun 18, 1:59 PM
    How many school uniform items to buy? 15th Jun 18 at 1:59 PM
    Hi all,

my DS starts school in September and I'm really stumped about how much of each item to buy for his uniform.

I'm thinking

2 Jumpers
    2 short sleeve shirts
    3 long sleeve shirts
    2 ties
    3 pairs of trousers
    1 pair of shoes
    1 pair of pumps
    1 PE top
    1 pair PE joggers
    1 coat

Does that sound like enough? I'm thinking I can always add more if it turns out we haven't enough - what are people's experiences with this?
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Highest debt (01/01/2018): 23,786 As of 30/07/2018: 19,570.38 Total reduction in 2018: -4,215.90 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2019
Page 2
    • thegreenone
    • By thegreenone 10th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    thegreenone
    Oh my goodness, I didn't buy half that and my boys survived all the way through school. My youngest got to Year 10 until his PE kit went missing from his locker and that was the first we'd lost for both.

I would strongly suggest that if your child needs proper shirts, buy short sleeved. Wash, press, hang up to dry. Both my boys broke wrists and had plaster and I cut up the sleeve of one short sleeved shirt and washed it every day, pressed, hung, dry. I refused to cut any other shirts. I was working full-time. One tie, one jumper, one pair of trousers/shorts and five shirts.
    Last edited by thegreenone; 10-08-2018 at 7:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin