Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    • 53,930Posts
    • 149,101Thanks
    colinw
    Todays World Cup Fixtures
    • 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    Todays World Cup Fixtures 15th Jun 18 at 11:58 AM
    So today Friday the 15th we have!

1pm Egypt v Uruguay (Sleazy v Murphybear)

4pm Morocco v Iran (Deep In Dept v davidrpj1)

7pm Portugal v Spain (suki1964 v Flick216)

I am looking forward to the suki v Flick showdown
Page 36
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 12th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    This was England's best chance for decades.......it was similar to the Leicester city season ie all the big name not firing on all cylinders for Man City Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal.........replace with Brazil Germany Argentina Spain plus Italy and Holland who didn't qualify
    Four years time it'll be a different story...England were good but not that good
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Who would even value winning in that situation - it's a bit like Allan Wells winning gold and silver in the sprints in Moscow when the U.S. boycotted the games.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Unbelievable watching England applying Hoof Ball tactics last night. It doesn't work in League Two, and it definitely ain't going to work in a World Cup semi-final.

We seem to be content with accepting adequacy as a performance well done.....and then applaud it.

Only 20-30% of Premier League players are eligible to play for England. Lots of English talent is languishing in the lower leagues where their natural talent will never be allowed to shine through.....can't ever see that changing.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    For me, to get a team of distinctly average football players (im sure youll agree) to the semi final of the world cup is exceptional. Its far from adequate. Adequate wouldve probably been getting out of the group stages.

IM guessing you dont think theyre good enough to be in the semi final of a world cup, yet there they where. Seems to contradict your adequacy issues?

As for the lower leagues, if theyre playing there, they arent good enough to be in the top league by definition surely?

As for playing youths in the top leagues we've tried it, Michael Owen, Rooney, walcott. Ok lets go current generation, well have the cut off at 18,

Trent alexander arnold. First team debut for liverpool when he was 18. 26 capps since.

Marcus Rashford. First team debut for Utd when he was 18/19 over 60 appearances since then.

Delle Alli. Started out at MD dons, got a debut at 17 i think. A few seasons there to get noticed and then signed for tottenham.

You can do with most of the England squad. They all play in the premier league. Some have come up/played through the leagues (pickford) and others jumped straight in to a premier league team at 18.

Simple fact is if a team think a player is good enough, they play them. If they dont think theyre ready, they get told to keep trying until they are good enough.

Im a north end fan. Apart from claims of nurturing beckham and pickford the most quality player in my lifetime to play for england and PNE was David Nugent, whilst a legend in his own right and chuffed when he was called up its a bit of a stretch to think he was ever better than anyone in the current set up.

You have to go back to finney to get a player form a lower league side choosing loyalty. Just doesnt happen in todays football.
    Don't be angry!
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 12th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    I'm almost glad we didn't make it to the final - I hate watching France play!! They are the most unsportsmanlike of teams, from what I've seen.
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    For me, it's not so much how they play, it's that they are ......................

how can I put this .........................

French!
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    For me, to get a team of distinctly average football players (im sure youll agree) to the semi final of the world cup is exceptional. Its far from adequate. Adequate wouldve probably been getting out of the group stages.

IM guessing you dont think theyre good enough to be in the semi final of a world cup, yet there they where. Seems to contradict your adequacy issues?
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Which great teams did they beat, Tunisia [just], Peru [self-destructed], Columbia [Just], Sweden [Just]. Luck of the draw really.

As for the lower leagues, if theyre playing there, they arent good enough to be in the top league by definition surely?
    70%+ of the Premier League players are foreigners. English talent hasn't got much a chance if that carries on.....which no doubt it will.

As for playing youths in the top leagues we've tried it, Michael Owen, Rooney, walcott. Ok lets go current generation, well have the cut off at 18,

Trent alexander arnold. First team debut for liverpool when he was 18. 26 capps since. Well done to Jurgen Klopp.

Marcus Rashford. First team debut for Utd when he was 18/19 over 60 appearances since then.

Delle Alli. Started out at MD dons, got a debut at 17 i think. A few seasons there to get noticed and then signed for tottenham.

You can do with most of the England squad. They all play in the premier league. Some have come up/played through the leagues (pickford) and others jumped straight in to a premier league team at 18.
    They haven't won anything though. Rashford looked a bit lost in the short time he had on the pitch [good calmly taken penalty though v Columbia], and Alli under-performed.

Simple fact is if a team think a player is good enough, they play them. If they dont think theyre ready, they get told to keep trying until they are good enough.
    How Premier League players are currently out of loan to Championship or lower league sides? Might not be into 3 figures, but there plenty.

Im a north end fan. Apart from claims of nurturing beckham and pickford the most quality player in my lifetime to play for england and PNE was David Nugent, whilst a legend in his own right and chuffed when he was called up its a bit of a stretch to think he was ever better than anyone in the current set up.

You have to go back to finney to get a player form a lower league side choosing loyalty. Just doesnt happen in todays football.
    What's the nickname of North End fans? I'm glad that Tom Barkhuizen has been given a good run in the Nob Head's first team, a good acquisition from 'The Shrimps'.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 13-07-2018 at 7:51 AM.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Very few argentinians, actually
    Originally posted by kabayiri
    Probably just as well, given the way they've behaved in the past, instigating post-match punch-ups while still on the pitch

Can't see the Russian officials putting up with that sort of nonsense.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 12,955 Posts
    • 23,986 Thanks
    Sleazy
    For me, it's not so much how they play, it's that they are ......................

French!
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Barely.
    That's why I call them The French Foreign Legion
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 39,834 Posts
    • 146,760 Thanks
    Pyxis

French!
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Oo-er!

That's a bit harsh!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • kabayiri
    • By kabayiri 12th Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 19,085 Posts
    • 53,497 Thanks
    kabayiri

I think there are areas where we could do with more players to choose from.

If you take the midfield of the top 6/8 premier teams, there aren't a lot of English players there.

It could be the top teams preference for buying in the finished product from abroad, rather than developing local talent. A manager isn't given a lot of time to get it right nowadays.

Maybe the answer is to get more English players playing abroad? The Croatian players were playing in a number of leagues.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Apparently, there's an immediate investigation going on in FIFA.....Croatia fielded an ineligible player in the Quarter and Semi-Finals.

I'm only the messenger, but my source isn't known for spinning a fib.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 53,930 Posts
    • 149,101 Thanks
    colinw
    Apparently, there's an immediate investigation going on in FIFA.....Croatia fielded an ineligible player in the Quarter and Semi-Finals.

I saw that but it was a deffo a joke and not serious
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 13th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 9,749 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    chucknorris

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/croatia-not-disqualified-world-cup-12909097
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Which great teams did they beat, Tunisia [just], Peru [self-destructed], Columbia [Just], Sweden [Just]. Luck of the draw really.

70%+ of the Premier League players are foreigners. English talent hasn't got much a chance if that carries on.....which no doubt it will.

They haven't won anything though. Rashford looked a bit lost in the short time he had on the pitch [good calmly taken penalty though v Columbia], and Alli under-performed.

How Premier League players are currently out of loan to Championship or lower league sides? Might not be into 3 figures, but there plenty.

What's the nickname of North End fans? I'm glad that Tom Barkhuizen has been given a good run in the Nob Head's first team, a good acquisition from 'The Shrimps'.

I bow to your superior football knowledge.

I thought it was spelt Panama myself, not Peru?!?

Had a feeling i was wasting my time with you. Get out of here you fake.
    Don't be angry!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Originally posted by colinw

I think the joke had something to do with Carlsberg... as in Carlsberg don't do investigations but if they did....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 13th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie

Panama was hilarious
    Were they very bad or were we very good?
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 13th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 9,749 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    chucknorris
    Panama was hilarious
    I think that they were joint rank outsiders available at 5,000/1 at the start of the tournament (I can't remember), but so were Leicester to win the Premiership in the year that they won. Although that did have the look as a once in a lifetime event.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    PompeyPete

Had a feeling i was wasting my time with you. Get out of here you fake.
    Sorry, I was too busy making sure I got my comments to appear in red.

Like I said, North End fans have a well earned nick name amongst their rivals
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Panama was hilarious
    Kane could have had half-a-dozen penalties.....Panama could have been down to 6 players.....and the game forfeited by Panama for having too few players on the pitch.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Jul 18, 3:07 PM
    • 6,052 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    PompeyPete

Originally posted by colinw
    She's been Yellow carded on my list of reliable people.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 13th Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Tallaght

Its nonsense.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 13th Jul 18, 3:30 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Tallaght
    There was some confusion when Ante Rebic was booked in the first-half of extra-time as many were led to believe he had already been cautioned in the 48th minute.
    However, it turns out that after a VAR review a Croatia player was indeed show a yellow card by referee Cuneyt Cakir but it was to Mandzukic instead for throwing the ball away.
    Therefore a repeat of Graham Poll's fiasco from the 2006 World Cup when the Croats momentarily benefited from the official failing to spot he booked Josip Simunic three times was avoided.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

2,531Users online

Martin's Twitter