Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    • 53,937Posts
    • 149,154Thanks
    colinw
    Todays World Cup Fixtures
    • 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    Todays World Cup Fixtures 15th Jun 18 at 11:58 AM
    So today Friday the 15th we have!

1pm Egypt v Uruguay (Sleazy v Murphybear)

4pm Morocco v Iran (Deep In Dept v davidrpj1)

7pm Portugal v Spain (suki1964 v Flick216)

I am looking forward to the suki v Flick showdown
Page 35
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 12th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 9,749 Posts
    • 14,521 Thanks
    chucknorris
    Can only speak for myself, but suffice to say that I appreciated the joke and thought it was said in a spirit of humour and without malice.

Yes, I would have liked England to win, but on the night they didn't.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    No they didn't, but what England did do, was to provide hope and thrills for the many (including me) that enjoyed the ride of their world cup run. Although I felt that they could have gone farther, it doesn't detract from the fact that they did do very well by reaching the semi final.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 12th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 4,105 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Much as it pains me to say it, Croatia ran rings round us and were the best team on the night.

For me, it was our worst performance of the whole tournament.

I don't know what's wrong with Harry Kane but he didn't play well in the last two games. Gary Neville seemed to think that he may be carrying an injury that they kept quiet about. That makes sense as he definitely wasn't himself last night or in the previous game.

I hope he's back to normal for Saturday's third place play-off.

Anyway, as I can't imagine ever supporting France, I will have to go with Croatia in the final.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    3RD/4TH PLACE PLAY-OFF

14 Jul 15:00 UK Belgium v England

WORLD CUP FINAL

15 Jul 16:00 UK France v Croatia
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    gardner1
    This was England's best chance for decades.......it was similar to the Leicester city season ie all the big name not firing on all cylinders for Man City Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool Arsenal.........replace with Brazil Germany Argentina Spain plus Italy and Holland who didn't qualify
    Four years time it'll be a different story...England were good but not that good
    Last edited by gardner1; 12-07-2018 at 6:38 PM.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Much as it pains me to say it, Croatia ran rings round us and were the best team on the night.

For me, it was our worst performance of the whole tournament.

I don't know what's wrong with Harry Kane but he didn't play well in the last two games. Gary Neville seemed to think that he may be carrying an injury that they kept quiet about. That makes sense as he definitely wasn't himself last night or in the previous game.

I hope he's back to normal for Saturday's third place play-off.

Anyway, as I can't imagine ever supporting France, I will have to go with Croatia in the final.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey

He isn't captaincy material I am afraid.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    The 3RD and 4TH place play off is a pointless exercise.Both teams would prefer to go home ASAP after getting knocked out.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Jul 18, 1:10 PM
    • 6,060 Posts
    • 8,682 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Unbelievable watching England applying Hoof Ball tactics last night. It doesn't work in League Two, and it definitely ain't going to work in a World Cup semi-final.

We seem to be content with accepting adequacy as a performance well done.....and then applaud it.

Only 20-30% of Premier League players are eligible to play for England. Lots of English talent is languishing in the lower leagues where their natural talent will never be allowed to shine through.....can't ever see that changing.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 12-07-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    • kabayiri
    • By kabayiri 12th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 19,129 Posts
    • 53,593 Thanks
    kabayiri
    Somewhere, Kane got the idea that he could play in midfield. The evidence is there, he spent a lot of the play in midfield.

I can understand why he would want to help the team out; but he is not a midfielder.

Compare with Mandzukic. He pretty much does nothing during the entire game, except to be ice cool and finish when it's needed.

Which player was more effective in reality?
    • andygb
    • By andygb 12th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 12,630 Posts
    • 27,887 Thanks
    andygb
    Unbelievable watching England applying Hoof Ball tactics last night. It doesn't work in League Two, and it definitely ain't going to work in a World Cup semi-final.

We seem to be content with accepting adequacy as a performance well done.....and then applaud it.

Only 20-30% of Premier League players are eligible to play for England. Lots of English talent is languishing in the lower leagues where their natural tent will never be allowed to shine through.....can't ever see that changing.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete

That is indeed true.
    England are the current World Cup holders in U21, U17 and I think U19, but what happens to these brilliant young players?
    The vast majority of them will be farmed out from their Premier League teams to play in the lower leagues, when in fact what they should be doing is playing in our top league.
    Such a waste of talent.
    • kabayiri
    • By kabayiri 12th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 19,129 Posts
    • 53,593 Thanks
    kabayiri
    (
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    If you notice, this tactic increases as the game progresses.

That's because skilled and experienced opposition watch how your play develops, and change their play to counter your strengths and build on your weaknesses.

They would know that our defensive midfield tire. Pushing our full backs back towards goal, and switching the play between flanks just wore our midfield down as the back 3 became a 5.

The lack of outball because of a press from the opponents front line just leaves the desperate hoofing.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Chelsea have 38 players out on loan at various clubs in places as varied as Middlesbrough and Mexico.A lot of english clubs loan out their quality youngsters to championship clubs.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    GOLDEN BOOT
    Top goalscorers of the 2018 World Cup

Harry Kane, England, 6 goals
    Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal, 4 goals
    Romelu Lukaku, Belgium, 4 goals
    Denis Cheryshev, Russia, 4 goals
    Edinson Cavani, Uruguay, 3 goals
    Diego Costa, Spain, 3 goals
    Artem Dzyuba, Russia, 3 goals
    Antoine Griezmann, France, 3 goals
    Kylian Mbappe, France, 3 goals
    Yerry Mina, Colombia, 3 goals
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I'm almost glad we didn't make it to the final - I hate watching France play!! They are the most unsportsmanlike of teams, from what I've seen.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 53,937 Posts
    • 149,154 Thanks
    colinw
    Chelsea have 38 players out on loan at various clubs in places as varied as Middlesbrough and Mexico.A lot of english clubs loan out their quality youngsters to championship clubs.
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    Or clubs with a tight owner like Newcastle still we do have Kennedy on loan for another year
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I'm almost glad we didn't make it to the final - I hate watching France play!! They are the most unsportsmanlike of teams, from what I've seen.
    Originally posted by fibonarchie

Nah what I saw from the Uruguayans in their match against France was the most unnsportsman like team. The ref had to actually hold the players back as they surrounded the French player on the floor!!

Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jul 18, 3:30 PM
    • 53,937 Posts
    • 149,154 Thanks
    colinw
    3RD/4TH PLACE PLAY-OFF

14 Jul 15:00 UK Belgium v England

WORLD CUP FINAL

15 Jul 16:00 UK France v Croatia
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    14th Jul 15:00 tommix v Indisisiv

15th Jul 16:00 hazygirl v colinw
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 3:42 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    I just hope Antoine Griezmann,Kylian Mbappe and Lukaku fail to score 3+ goals this weekend so Kane will win the Golden boot.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Nah what I saw from the Uruguayans in their match against France was the most unnsportsman like team. The ref had to actually hold the players back as they surrounded the French player on the floor!!
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    There was a lot of argy-bargy going on in that game, it's true. But when the Uruguayans played Portugal it was quite good natured.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 12th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Colombia were using plenty more dirty tricks when they played England.Elbows in faces and treading on an opponents ankle when he is on the floor just a few to mention.
    • kabayiri
    • By kabayiri 12th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 19,129 Posts
    • 53,593 Thanks
    kabayiri
    There was a lot of argy-bargy going on in that game, it's true. But when the Uruguayans played Portugal it was quite good natured.
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    Very few argentinians, actually
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,744Posts Today

5,644Users online

Martin's Twitter