Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    • 52,510Posts
    • 145,477Thanks
    colinw
    Todays World Cup Fixtures
    • 15th Jun 18, 11:58 AM
    Todays World Cup Fixtures 15th Jun 18 at 11:58 AM
    So today Friday the 15th we have!

1pm Egypt v Uruguay (Sleazy v Murphybear)

4pm Morocco v Iran (Deep In Dept v davidrpj1)

7pm Portugal v Spain (suki1964 v Flick216)

I am looking forward to the suki v Flick showdown
    Founder member of the clique of idiots
Page 30
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 9:45 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Could someone splane, pliz, seeing as how I am a football moron, what it is that Gareth Waistcoat is doing with the England team to make them so successful, that previous England managers in recent years have failed to do?

Am genuinely interested in knowing what has changed so radically.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Southgate has brought a lot of young players into the squad where as England managers before stuck to much older seasoned players.
    He also is seen as 'one of the boys' by the players and not aloof like managers before.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 36,670 Posts
    • 135,621 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Southgate has brought a lot of young players into the squad where as England managers before stuck to much older seasoned players.
    He also is seen as 'one of the boys' by the players and not aloof like managers before.
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    Thanks.
    Has he changed the playing 'style' a lot as well?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Southgate plays the 3-5-2 formation with 3 central defenders basically.Harry Maguire has been a sensation in the central defensive role.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 36,670 Posts
    • 135,621 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Southgate plays the 3-5-2 formation with 3 central defenders basically.Harry Maguire has been a sensation in the central defensive role.
    Ah, you see, that is a foreign language to me! Sorry!

Never mind!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Could someone splane, pliz, seeing as how I am a football moron, what it is that Gareth Waistcoat is doing with the England team to make them so successful, that previous England managers in recent years have failed to do?

Physically hes probably not doing a whole lot different.

Southgate was the under 21 manager from 2013. A lot of the players in the current squad wouldve been involved in those games. They know each other inside out. Take away the big names and egos and youve got a close knit group that appear to want to win for each other as much as they do themselves. A lot of them have played with each other since they where 8/9 years old.

You can tell hes instilled a professional attitude in them. Years past we wouldve seen red cards and hot heads but the egos have been parked for the benefit of the team. I like that he hasnt tried to take out the arrogance in them. Theyre young and think they can take on the world. And they are doing.

you also cant really rule out that weve been a bit lucky with the draw, that said, the games need to be won and theyre doing that! (Excl belgium of course)
    Don't be angry!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 36,670 Posts
    • 135,621 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Physically hes probably not doing a whole lot different.

Southgate was the under 21 manager from 2013. A lot of the players in the current squad wouldve been involved in those games. They know each other inside out. Take away the big names and egos and youve got a close knit group that appear to want to win for each other as much as they do themselves. A lot of them have played with each other since they where 8/9 years old.

You can tell hes instilled a professional attitude in them. Years past we wouldve seen red cards and hot heads but the egos have been parked for the benefit of the team. I like that he hasnt tried to take out the arrogance in them. Theyre young and think they can take on the world. And they are doing.

you also cant really rule out that weve been a bit lucky with the draw, that said, the games need to be won and theyre doing that! (Excl belgium of course)
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    That's interesting.

Illustrates nicely how much the psychological aspect contributes to a successful game!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    As someone else posted,Southgate has grown up managerial wise with a lot of the current players from the England youth set up.A lot less yellow and red cards as he seems to have installed discipline to the England side.
    Judging on games so far,england have a bright future with this current crop of young players.
    • ianh1956
    • By ianh1956 10th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    ianh1956
    Psychologically I believe he has helped with penalties and how to prepare for them, which can only be a good thing! Maguire is indeed playing fantastic too
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    spadoosh
    That's interesting.

Illustrates nicely how much the psychological aspect contributes to a successful game!
    This world cup has been a fantastic example of it.

Russia, ranked 70th in the world got to the last 8. Sweden 24th, the same. Japan 61st used sheer grit and determination to get to the last 16. FIFA world rankings are worked out really weird so its not really an accurate reflection but few people would put those teams where they finished. And on the opposite end, youve got Spain, Germany, Italy and Holland usually considered big teams, long gone from the tournament.
    Don't be angry!
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    The England team have been seeing psychologist DR Pippa Grange before and during the World Cup mainly to help with the mental side of things for Penalties which has worked out well so far.She is with the team for their duration in the world cup.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 36,670 Posts
    • 135,621 Thanks
    Pyxis
    The England team have been seeing psychologist DR Pippa Grange before and during the World Cup mainly to help with the mental side of things for Penalties which has worked out well so far.She is with the team for their duration in the world cup.
    Oooh!

Perhaps I should book an appointment with her!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 14,131 Posts
    • 27,071 Thanks
    onlyroz

Obviously his waistcoat imbibes him with mystical powers.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Thierry Henry is assistant coach of Belgium and he will face his beloved France tonight.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 52,510 Posts
    • 145,477 Thanks
    colinw
    Has anyone booked tommix yet for his Live analysis of the game tomorrow night , I love the way it swings from We have not got a cat in Hells chance to an Open top bus parade on the last post
    I did hear he has been getting competing offers from ITV and SKY
    Founder member of the clique of idiots
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 10,358 Posts
    • 18,483 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Thierry Henry is assistant coach of Belgium and he will face his beloved France tonight.
    Terry Henry brings back memories. I liked him as a player. His parents were French Immigrants, but somehow the French Team then seemed more balanced. There was one white player, Franck Riberry who me and Mrs both liked. Without looking it up, I can only think of a couple of pure French blood players in the current setup. (Giraud est magnifiquè n'est pas?) Even Antoine Griezmann has mainly German parentage, with a bit of Portugese ancestry thrown in for good measure.

That's why I refer to them as the French Foreign Legion
    My bet is that whoever wins tonight gets to lift the trophy on Sunday, unless England's good run continues. I can't see Croatia winning against either France or Belgium somehow. England has a chance ....

Can I have a job as a pungit please?
    Cur Sleazy, Faffer of Nôtre Forum
    Lurker, Rattler Of Cages, Puller Of Both Legs And Chains
    Certified Member Of The Clique Of Idiots
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 10th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Ribery with the big facial scar due to a car accident.He used to be very good but not the same player nowadays.
    I will never forget Thierry Henry after he scored with his hand and knocked the irish out in 2009.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 18, 5:42 PM
    • 36,670 Posts
    • 135,621 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Has anyone booked tommix yet for his Live analysis of the game tomorrow night , I love the way it swings from We have not got a cat in Hells chance to an Open top bus parade on the last post
    I did hear he has been getting competing offers from ITV and SKY
    Originally posted by colinw
    I still vote for Marcus the Mystic Pig. He's been 100% correct so far!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 10th Jul 18, 6:44 PM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 55,276 Thanks
    joansgirl
    From this morning's fly past....

Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 10th Jul 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 5,187 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    France will have too much firepower for Belgium.
    Certainly hope so...
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,199 Posts
    • 15,288 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I never knew about this prediction/promise.

in an episode of Nikki Lilly Meets ahead of the World Cup in Russia, he told her that he would present the programme in... a MANKINI!
    He said: "If they did win the World Cup, I wouldn't mind. It would be amazing!"
    He went on to say: "I think I'm safe..."
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.9
    Total so far - 2238.2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,294Posts Today

6,240Users online

Martin's Twitter