Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 13th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 39Thanks
    Zarch
    Quotes and install questions
    • 13th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    Quotes and install questions 13th Jun 18 at 10:05 PM
    Hi all,

Three potential locations on the property in Sheffield.
    • Main Roof (maybe 9 panels, 2.7kWp) SW Facing - PVGIS approx 2500kWh
    • Dormer Flat Roof (4 panels, 1.2kWp) - SW Facing (flat) - PVGIS approx 940kWh
    • Rear Extension (3 panels, 900kWp) - E Facing - PVGIS approx 770kWh (gets sun from sunrise, but has shade issues from noon onwards)

Wife isn't happy about using the dormer as the builders (4 years ago) said the vinyl roof will eventually need replacing.

After weeks of reading forums etc i'm pretty happy with all the FIT and savings figures i've pulled together. I think I understand them all.

I've been monitoring my own usage for the last month via an old Current Cost usage meter into a Raspberry PI running measure it and then uploading to PVOutput.

** I can post my PVOutput url, not enough posts **

Electricity bills also confirm approx 3700kWh per year usage.

Quotes so far
    1. Ikea via Solarcentury - 13 panels 5,600
    2. 'South' installer - 11 x 300w = 3.3kWp (5,200), 11 x 320w = 3.5kWp (5300) Solaredge inverter
    3. 'North' installer (Bisol panels)
    Main roof and Rear Extension (12 panels x 300w = 3.6kWp) - 5470 (plus power optimisers for shade)
    Main roof and Dormer (13 panels x 300w = 3.9kWp) - 5300
    All three locations (16 x 300w = 4.8kWp) - 6350 - quote says permission required

4. 'Local' installer - hopefully coming next week.

1. Don't think I will be going any further with Ikea from comments i've read.
    2. This quote is via emails, photos and google maps. No site survey yet, so discussions are on-going.
    3. Again, this from photos and emails etc. They've also gone to the trouble of checking the building plans for the dormer for the flat roof weight bearing.

Would I be right in thinking both these quotes on the high side? I've seen 4k upwards on here for up to 4kWp systems.

Both quotes have come back with around 10-11 year break even calculations.
    Which sort of ties in with the spreadsheets i've pulled together using PVGIS/FIT/energy saving etc.

I think whether the system costs 4k or 5k/6k, it just seems to add a few years to breaking even. Obviously, the cheaper the better.

Are these private installers open to negotiation? Are these first quotes ripe for discussion?

Any thoughts on any of the above?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Zarch; 13-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Page 3
    • Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 8th Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Can't believe i've not asked this before, but what generation can you expect from panels in full shade?

These East-ish facing 300w panels i'm hoping to put in will be in full shade from 2pm onwards. So it could still be a bright summers day everywhere else.

What performance do you get in full shade during the day? Good, bad of indifferent?
    Originally posted by Zarch

I've two panels vertically mounted on the WSW gable end so in full shade until around 1pm. The remainder are SSE at 23 degree pitch in full sun all day. Generally the two end panels generate between 30 & 50% in comparison depending upon the day. As I'm typing this at 11.20 am they are at 20%, but it was a cloudy start to the day!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23 pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 7,244 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Can't believe i've not asked this before, but what generation can you expect from panels in full shade?

These East-ish facing 300w panels i'm hoping to put in will be in full shade from 2pm onwards. So it could still be a bright summers day everywhere else.

What performance do you get in full shade during the day? Good, bad of indifferent?
    Originally posted by Zarch
    East and 2pm takes the pressure off. They will lose some gen especially in the summer, but will be losing power anyway from 2pm onwards.

On a perfectly clear blue sky (very, very rare) my west panels generate almost nothing in the morning, and my east panels next to nothing in the evening, whereas with a little bit of white, the light still gets reflected back down, which shade won't affect.

No escaping the fact you will lose some gen especially from 2pm to 4pm, but not too big a worry. If they were west facing panels, then it would be a disaster.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JKenH
    • By JKenH 8th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    JKenH

On a perfectly clear blue sky (very, very rare) my west panels generate almost nothing in the morning, and my east panels next to nothing in the evening, whereas with a little bit of white, the light still gets reflected back down, which shade won't affect.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Ah, that probably explains why a couple of days ago with my East and West facing roofs I had disappointing overall power from a crystal clear sky. Peak PV was just over 4 kw compared to over 5kw today with some cloud about.
    Solar newbie. Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Moixa 3kwh battery. IBoost water heater.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin