Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pretty2811
    • By Pretty2811 13th Jun 18, 11:00 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Pretty2811
    Refund of deposit for a puppy
    • 13th Jun 18, 11:00 AM
    Refund of deposit for a puppy 13th Jun 18 at 11:00 AM
    Hi all,
    Need some advice pls.

I paid £200 deposit for a KC registered puppy. On the day I visited the house of the breeder I did ask if she had the Kc cert and she said yes.
    Came back Home and sent her a message immediately to see the KC papers as my other friend told me to check. Breeder then said she has no papers and have applied for it. Then I was suspicious as she advertised as the puppy being KC registered.
    The next day I called the kennel club to ask if the puppies were registered and they confirmed nothing was. No puppy registered on that date. I asked the breeder and she became very insecure stating that KC is not suppose to give personal details. After having to ask my friends, I then decided that there is something fishy. So I messaged the breeder requesting the deposit amount of £200 as her advertisement was false and she does not have the papers to show. The breeder is refusing to refund my money and says I have caused damages. Itís only been 2 days and I have told her immediately. I have tried calling and messaging that I will bring her to court but she just doesnít response. I am now painfully taking this to the small claims court. She has also rejected the claim and wants to go for mediation.
    What are my chances of getting back my money? Is there anything else I can do? Taking a lawyer will be far more expensive than whatever Iím going to get back. Pls advice but pls be nice thank you
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Jun 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Jun 18, 1:53 PM
    • 14th Jun 18, 1:53 PM
    You do not need to take a lawyer

You may get more advice about small claims process by posting on the consumer rights board.

Do you have proof of her advertising them as KC registered and her then saying she had applied for registration?

KC registration doesn't mean much- anybody can register, even puppy farms.

'Assured breeders' are inspected but not registered' breeders.

You would probably get more input regarding the small claims court on the consumer rights board.
    '
    • itsanne
    • By itsanne 16th Jun 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4,468 Posts
    • 10,585 Thanks
    itsanne
    • 16th Jun 18, 10:03 AM
    • 16th Jun 18, 10:03 AM
    How did you pay? If you paid by card, you should be able to get your money back through section 75 or chargeback.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 16th Jun 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    ka7e
    • 16th Jun 18, 9:06 PM
    • 16th Jun 18, 9:06 PM
    There is often a delay between applying for and receiving KC papers. Although most breeders register online, the paperwork can take some time.More importantly you should have asked to see the pup's pedigree and KC reg of both parents. A bit of research can show how many litters the mother has had, how often the stud dog is used etc and a pup cannot be registered unless both parents are. A breeder usually lets you know the terms of a deposit, if not, it is usual to deduct the cost of readvertising the puppy. The only time I have heard of "damages" being incurred is if a pup is unsold for some time and is reduced in price. Trading standards/small claims seem the route to take unless you can find terms to agree upon mediation.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • Pretty2811
    • By Pretty2811 12th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pretty2811
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the late reply as I am new here and trying to get around how to reply.
    I paid by cash and I have the receipt.
    It!!!8217;s now going through mediation. Breeder just doesn!!!8217;t want to respond to calls or messages or letters sent by post. Seems like she is not bothered. She has readverrised the puppy - originally it was £1050 and now it!!!8217;s £600.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    Why are you replying to this old thread when we're discussing on the new one?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,455Posts Today

9,431Users online

Martin's Twitter