Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    • 4,268Posts
    • 6,057Thanks
    Half_way
    Sort out the 8217 problem
    • 12th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    Sort out the 8217 problem 12th Jun 18 at 7:21 PM
    Noticed this when copy and pasting, and from quite a few posts, it makes some posts hard, if not impossible to read then all you see is !!!8217; all the way through
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Page 2
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Jul 18, 10:53 AM
    • 5,366 Posts
    • 31,943 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    It's getting worse.

A post I did last year, about censoring the acute accent, which at the time had only one of the two acute accents censored.

Where do you think that place might be?
    Originally posted by redux
    Scunthorpe is still censored!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Jul 18, 11:18 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    Sorry - can you say that again in English

One of the few times it has happened to me ...
    I copied some text from somewhere (can't remember where, sorry) and pasted it into the 'reply' box.

When it went all '8217', I copied the text into notepad then saved it in there and copied it back into the reply box - it still gave the error, so I let it be as an unreadable mess!
    Originally posted by J B

In the above example the first one is likely to fail but the second one is safe
    Originally posted by Reaper

Sorry - still don't understand - that looks like a different font, is that what you mean?
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 9th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 4,564 Thanks
    Reaper
    Sorry - still don't understand - that looks like a different font, is that what you mean?
    Originally posted by J B
    No, the apostrophe is a completely different character in the two examples. In the same way a capital "A" is different to a lower case "a".

Behind the scenes computers store characters as numbers.
    In the first example the apostrophe character is stored as 8217 which the forum can't cope with.
    In the second example it is 39 which works fine.
    I haven't shown an example of it but the open quote character (leaning the other way) is 8216 which I doubt the forum can cope with either.

If you write something in Word like 'Hello' it will try to be clever and substitute the single quote character you typed on your keyboard (37) at the start and end for open quote (8216) and close quote (8217).

Now you copy and paste that into the forum and you get a mess.

The same thing happens for iPhone/iPad users who type directly into the forum as it automatically does the same thing (unless they turn the "Smart Punctuation" feature off)

P.S. If you are interested to know what numbers represent which characters this page will tell you:
    https://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm
    If you scroll down to near the bottom you will see "right single quotation mark" is represented in decimal with 8217. The forum hasn't been told what character that represents so it just displays the number instead.
    Last edited by Reaper; 09-07-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    No, the apostrophe is a completely different character in the two examples.

<snip detailed post>

Cheers, but how do I, when typing on here, decide which apostrophe to use?
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 9th Jul 18, 11:06 PM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 4,564 Thanks
    Reaper
    Cheers, but how do I, when typing on here, decide which apostrophe to use?
    Originally posted by J B
    I'm not sure I can explain it any other way. Always use the vertical line style quote/apostrophe. If the text you are copying has any other type then change it otherwise you might have problems.

See my example illustration above.
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Jul 18, 7:58 AM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    I'm not sure I can explain it any other way. Always use the vertical line style quote/apostrophe. If the text you are copying has any other type then change it otherwise you might have problems.

See my example illustration above.

On my (standard UK) keyboard, towards the bottom right corner is the apostrophe and 'at' key

' or @

That looks like a vertical line to me, so I think you mean, 'keep calm and carry on' - correct?
    • J B
    • By J B 21st Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    I totally understand your frustration Half_way.

I promise this hasn't been forgotten.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

Just another little reminder, in case you've forgotten ....

Another example
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74377191
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 22nd Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I have it on good authority that a two-seater aircraft crash-landed into a !!!8217; cemetery. !!!8217; authorities reported finding 300 dead and more were expected as digging continued.

Please note this post is not Xenophobic against !!!8217;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

4,638Users online

Martin's Twitter