Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,146Posts
    • 5,562Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 9
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 4:27 AM
    • 14,987 Posts
    • 143,875 Thanks
    mardatha
    I keep saying this we lived for a long time without being in the EU and we will manage just fine doing that again. The current total guddle is a problem until we get things sorted out again. If somebody wants to sell a product and somebody else wants to buy it, then mankind will find a way to make it happen. Been doing it since the Romans lol
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 6:40 AM
    • 12,397 Posts
    • 78,279 Thanks
    kittie
    yes we knew what it was like to be free from those shackles but then again we had the experience of parents and grandparents who fought two long wars to keep our freedoms. The younger ones don`t have those experiences and are a bit frightened but sometimes you just have to be brave and that takes courage

It is awfully like me and moving house, scary by myself at my age and scary to expand and go to a 1/3 of an acre and a big enough house but nothing wrong with a good adventure, better than sitting back in a comfortable hole,nothing wrong with opportunity, change and a challenge, bring it on

I am not stashing anything, no need, there is more to fear from tempestuous weather.
    Last edited by kittie; 13-07-2018 at 6:44 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm using up all our stores before we move but I shall replace judiciously when we have moved, I'll have a decent space to keep them in but I'll be selective in what I keep and not just go for whatever is cheapest and on offer. Things to give flavour and interest to everyday staples will be top of the list so herbs, spices and sauce /relish ingredients along with canned pulses fruit and veg and some good oils and flavoured oils will be the bulk of it. I'm also going to dedicate a whole freezer drawer to flour and rice and I'm only going to keep in various kinds of lentils rather than beans as they take little time to cook. We have a fantastic wholefood shop in the little town we're moving to so I will be able to build up supplies a couple of things a week with my weekly shop.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 3:02 PM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I went to the wholefood shop in the city today and got some flavoured TVP mince, we don't mind it replacing meat (I know some of you don't like either the idea or the taste) and it will go into the box to take when we move. It's a good source of protein and I dress it up with lots of flavour and it's cheap (under £3 for a decent sized pack) and reconstitutes to at least double it's volume and keeps for a long time. Ideal preparedness food IF you can take it!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 18, 4:16 PM
    • 16,146 Posts
    • 44,450 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ...and personally then yep...it does look rather like we will get "Brexit" in name - but in practice = darn all happening that's any different (at least if Theresa May has anything to do with it). It does look somewhat like we will still be dictated to by Europe if she has her way. What British politician runs something past a foreign politician (ie Angela Merkel) to start with?!!!!

In that case - the politicians might just as well get rid of her imo - sooner the better.
    No (Brexit) deal = no big deal #shrugs and leave anyway

These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do....
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Go do her job then, if you can do it better stand for parliament, get yourself elected and go and sort out Brexit, I suspect it's like walking a tightrope blindfolded in the dark trying to sort out something as intricate as Brexit I wouldn't have a clue where to start and I don't envy the politicians who DO have to do it.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 98,425 Thanks
    fuddle
    I would be more worried that negotiations were hell bent on walking away while thumbing their nose. Hard or soft, change is afoot in areas that just weren't right for just over half of our population.

In my opinion the EU try to hold every dealing they have over a barrel and that isn't changing here. This mess is getting messier because the EU are making it so. To my mind they have everything to loose but are better at the game than us. It's difficult to negotiate when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place but be under no illusion both us and the EU need these talks to go well. We're not going to get all we want no, but I feel like 'we' have panicked and are set to go in too easy. I feel we've shown our final hand somewhat so my worry is how far over the barrel will the EU now try to push us.
    Please don't judge my story by the chapter that you walked in on.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 24,502 Posts
    • 97,260 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    CUDDLES an old wartime dodge to extend how much tea you have was to pick, shred (stainless steel knife only) young bramble leaves, spread them out on absorbent paper and leave them in a cool dry place to dry for a few days. This was mixed with the tea ration (can also apparently be used on it's own) to make it go further. People also used to use tea leaves (no tea bags then) and then dry them to be added back into the tea ration and again you had an extender. I haven't tried the bramble leaves as a tea but it was common practise and apparently on their own they taste like china tea. We have an awful lot of wild blackberries in this country so maybe we'd be OK?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I believe raspberry tea is supposed to be efficacious as well!
    Originally posted by Living proof
    From drinking it for its reputed advantages when cooking two kids, I can say without doubt that Raspberry leaf tea is possibly the most vile concoction on this green and pleasant earth.

Camomile tea - great. Mint tea - lovely. Even Apple Peel tea (pinch of cinnamon and a little sweetner) is lovely.

But anything related to brambles - like infusing the contents of the vacuum cleaner after it's been used to clear up what the cat has kicked out of its tray.

I think that, irrespective of the political side of things/whether or not the idea of being 'independent' appeals, the People will all end up on the pointy end of things whilst the politicians skip off to their chateaus and overseas registered companies and do very nicely, thank you very much.

So I have bought a nice little freezer and will be stocking that with things we actually need, along with lots of pulses and ingredients in the cupboards, particularly as I'm likely to lose my job within the next 12 months (schools which have a considerable intake from the EU won't be needing as many staff when they don't have so many children, after all - application numbers have already plummeted and many families have already returned to their original countries this year) and being unable to eat is only marginally worse in my view than being unable to pay rent or council tax without having to endure the horrors of the UK benefits system.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 13th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Drat, thought I had found a use for neighbour's invading brambles ! Mint tea is gorgeous.

Got my eye on a freezer in a sale A+ energy rating. stainless steel £349 hope to have a look in person Sunday. MrStepford needs to clear understairs space for it.

ASDA delivery today was pretty much all tins and bottles. Olive oil, dripping, chopped tomatoes, pickled mushrooms, wild Alaskan pink salmon, pickled peppers, Swiss vegetable bouillon powder..

Mr Stepford went to Sainsbury's last night and stocked up on cannellini, black, butter and red kidney beans.

I'm not getting into the political stuff because ignorance of the EU is rife in UK and that was a big part of the reason for the Leave vote. One of my friends now is a former MEP and I've learned a lot from him.
    Last edited by MrsStepford; 13-07-2018 at 8:05 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You apparently have to let the bramble leaves ferment to get the 'china tea' taste, I haven't tried it myself and it's suggested that the young leaves as they start growing are the best but I've read somewhere else (and I guess it was wartime so things must have been dire) that they were actually harvested and used for as long as there were leaves on the brambles.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 28,343 Thanks
    Primrose
    Let's not go into roast ground acorn coffee then ! I understand that is pretty dire too.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 18, 8:31 PM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Dandelion roots can be roasted until dark brown and then ground to make an ersatz coffee and you can buy that still as an instant coffee in a jar in wholefood/health food shops, I've tried it and it's not at all bad.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th Jul 18, 9:14 PM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 98,425 Thanks
    fuddle

I'm not getting into the political stuff because ignorance of the EU is rife in UK and that was a big part of the reason for the Leave vote. One of my friends now is a former MEP and I've learned a lot from him.
    Originally posted by MrsStepford
    Just a thought but maybe if ignorance of the EU is rife amongst our country then maybe the remainders could have educated the ignorant during the Referendum campaign instead of bolstering the red top rags with hints of a world war, the end of Western civilisation and the collapse of the NHS due to a faltering economy.

Both sides scare mongered and falsified. There was plenty to educate the people one way or another but that isn't the style of the Politician I fear. Politicians, in my opinion, like to think they're able to keep the general populous in a state of ignorance.

Cameron tried to get the EU onside for for a new settlement for the UK. All this could have been avoided but the EU had the bloke over that barrel.

It doesn't matter what side we're on or what we believe but I think it's important to stand up for your side in a debate, not being derogatory to the opposing side in order to get a point across or take away credibility.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 13th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,635 Posts
    • 7,084 Thanks
    melanzana
    Well the spirit of the Blitz is back so it seems.

But is so totally unnecessary really IMV.

But here we are again years later because Brexit is top dog, and no one realises the consequences. Do they?

Why is this happening, and what are the benefits, could someone tell me please!

Imagine people talking about prepping and drinking leaves of the brambles and so on. Honestly.
    Last edited by melanzana; 13-07-2018 at 9:25 PM.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 13th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 5,562 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Everyone has their own view of what could/should happen with Brexit. Also everyone has their own way of dealing with it. Personally I want to have extra stores in and savings put away. Mainly because although I donít think we will get there again, I started married life with a mortgage with a 15% interest rate and more recently was pushed into bankruptcy in 2010. Empty cupboards, owing money and an empty bank account scare me.
    Some of the preppers here are looking at how we coped in the war because people managed on next to nothing. Some are stocking up with tins. Some are growing their own food. Some are changing their eating habits.
    All these views are personal and acceptable.
    So please try and respect other peopleís ideas and views.

I donít think the EU and Brexit is the only problem we face. Other world leaders. Bad weather. Wars dislodging families. Cutbacks. Just to name a few and a little bit of organisation makes me feel slightly more in control.

Anyway enough of that
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    Credit card £279.88
    Food £64.05/£175
    NSDs 6/15
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 14,987 Posts
    • 143,875 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's common for people to laugh at preppers. But we all know in here what happens when you don't prep. Then people stop laughing
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Jul 18, 7:05 AM
    • 6,429 Posts
    • 98,425 Thanks
    fuddle
    cuddlymarm we had the same awful thing happen in 2009 with the recession and banking crisis. Empty cupboards scare me too. Debt doesn't as we avoid it like the plague but we have got a small mortgage now and the fear of losing my home again is with me every day.

This is why I come from the angle I do. I can't imagine Brexit and what follows being any worse than what my family have already been through. We coped and actually, eventually, we flourished. People's experiences shape them. I keep a close eye on politics and issues of the world and refute that I'm ignorant.Comingbat it from a different angle, yes, but not ignorant.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 18, 7:26 AM
    • 16,146 Posts
    • 44,450 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That's certainly a "thought for the day" - ie re how peoples experiences shape them.

It's a thought that probably never strikes many people just how much their own environment/life has shaped them until they're out of it for whatever reason - and watching other people that have been shaped by their own environment and don't realise it.
    No (Brexit) deal = no big deal #shrugs and leave anyway

These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do....
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 12,397 Posts
    • 78,279 Thanks
    kittie
    People's experiences shape them.
    Originally posted by fuddle

well said, very much so. I completely and wholeheartedly agree.

Trouble being that so many youngsters don`t have that depth of experience, the wise words that came from parents who learnt from grandparents and also from the local community. Having said that, all these wise words are just that ie words and learnt experiences are the most effective, the ones that ignite the learning process. What a boring world if we didn`t have those twists and bends in the road, if everyone stayed in their boring comfort zone, never to stretch themselves beyond what is familiar
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Jul 18, 8:16 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 46,539 Thanks
    maryb
    I've learned over the years that things often turn out differently from the predictions of experts. If they were that expert they'd be wealthy and off sunning themselves somewhere. Once you get round the bend in the road the view may look a lot nicer as the scenery unfolds often in proportion to the pessimism with which you approached it

And I think that something that has so far not really featured in the debate may come to affect us far more. And that is the increasing use and sophistication of robots. The big underlying issue of the last few centuries has been the division of the rewards of economic activity between capital and labour. I think that will evolve into an argument about how to distribute wealth when labour is irrelevant. And European countries that have worried about a demographic deficit and declining population will find that deficit does not exist.

I'm staying put. You don't want to be an outsider in a country that is going through tumult and if it turns out badly we are certainly better off on our own.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter