Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,184Posts
    • 6,068Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 42
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 175,804 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Why would we pressurise anyone else to become a prepper? it's something that needs personal conviction from inside not something that is forced on people. Free choice and a free voice to respond to ridicule from those who think we're wrong is what I ask for because just as I believe in preparing for the unforeseen I also believe in standing up for my choices and not being shot down by people who know nothing of me! If folks don't believe in prepping that's their business and good luck to them but no one can tell me what I do is wrong!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,539 Thanks
    Elona
    MrsL

There are always people happy to tell us we are doing something wrong, whether it is saving and buying things for cash rather than on credit, paying bills promptly rather than wait for repeated requests, study in our own time etc.

DH lost count of the times he was told by friends he had grown up with how silly he was to go to evening classes, to take an apprenticeship, go to university, teacher training and work away from his home town. Years later when he was settled in a good job, company car etc the same people told him how "lucky" he was as if his hard work was somehow "cheating" and unfair to them personally.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 175,804 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Don't I know it Elona! when we were on our overseas job in Germany all the other folk working for the company spent their nice increased wages because the company was paying the rent and school fees and an overseas allowance on holidays, trips abroad, weekends away, new clothes, treats and lots of meals out and we saved ours, we had a trip back to the UK every half term because Nell was boarding and one holiday in the 3 years we were there when we drove to France for a fortnight. We were able to come home and pay off our mortgage buy a new car and have money in the bank most other people came back with memories (nothing wrong with that) and nothing to show for 3 years away. Did we ever get criticised for not living the high life, we were odd man out both with the Ex Pats in the company and our acquaintance here, you just can't win BUT we owned the house and they were all still paying off mortgages, makes you think!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 16,826 Posts
    • 46,470 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You can also let it dry out and grind it into powder fertilizer ( go easy as its very concentrated) chop and drop as a mulch. Its a gift that keeps on giving but a key player in any permaculture garden.
    Originally posted by tori.k
    Now that could be a thought. I hadnt thought of grinding it up to powder - and I do have a VERY powerful liquidizer. Could be an idea to let it "dry out" as you say in a greenhouse I have. Hmmm....

I can feel an experiment coming on...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-08-2018 at 2:47 PM.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 10th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    MrsL

There are always people happy to tell us we are doing something wrong, whether it is saving and buying things for cash rather than on credit, paying bills promptly rather than wait for repeated requests, study in our own time etc.

DH lost count of the times he was told by friends he had grown up with how silly he was to go to evening classes, to take an apprenticeship, go to university, teacher training and work away from his home town. Years later when he was settled in a good job, company car etc the same people told him how "lucky" he was as if his hard work was somehow "cheating" and unfair to them personally.
    Originally posted by Elona

Reminds of the saying, "the harder I work the luckier I get."
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 10th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mattpaint
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good organic tinned Italian tomatoes?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 175,804 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We use the cheapest of the cheap chopped ones from Lidl, they taste perfectly OK in everything I make too and cost what I can afford to pay. I can't afford organic!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 29,330 Thanks
    Primrose
    MrsL

Originally posted by Elona
    There will always be people who want to have their cake and eat it. We,ve always been a very prudent couple, (modest holidays mostly in this country, living within our means, no expensive cars replaced regularly, always saved a proportion of our income).

I can't understand why people say "you're lucky to have paid off your mortgage so early" as if we'd won the pools or something". I just say "well you,ve got memories of some lovely holidays" and you see their eyes cloud over with wistfulness when they're approaching retirement, still haven,t paid off the mortgage, or can,t afford to retire because of other debts.

They could have made the same choices but didn't. You can't have your cake and eat it and the sensible people are those who decide what sort of cake it is they want early on and are single minded about achieving their goals. It's not easy to make sacrifices when you're young, aspirational and everybody else is spending their money and having a good time . But it's a darned sight harder when you're old, perhaps in poor health still trying to pay off the mortgage, can,t afford to retire or put on the heating when it' s cold and frosty.

Nobody knows what misfortunes are going to hit them later in life but it makes sense to arm yourself for the ones you can at least partially protect yourself against.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 48,595 Thanks
    maryb
    I actually prefer the Lidl tomatoes, they taste nicer than more expensive ones in very thick sauce - those can taste very gloopy. Also Lidl tomatoes usually (though not always) come in plain unlined cans whereas Aldi tomatoes are in plastic lined cans. The lining contains BPA which I try to avoid
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 10th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I buy the cheap Sainsbury's own label tomatoes and they are fine.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,539 Thanks
    Elona
    Primrose

I used to say to dds that if we really wanted something then we could probably afford it, by means of cutting down elsewhere but that we could not afford "everything!" DH used to ask me if we were economising when a big bill had come up and when I asked him why he would say "We are eating better!" By that he meant that I was using the slow cooker, the bread maker. making pea and ham soup, home made pizza, quiches etc. and using up the cupboard, fridge and freezer.

I used to have a handful of recipes that were especially frugal like savoury pancakes, homity pies, quiche. pizza and pizza wheels. soups using ham shanks or cooking bacon bits. stuffed mushrooms and chips or home made veggie burgers etc. The breakfast muffin recipe I got from the tightwad gazette remains a firm favourite - as a bacon, cheese and onion recipe or a sweet one using stewed apple and cinnamon or rhubarb etc. To make a dozen muffins using one large egg is certainly economical yet no one who has tried it has thought of it as an economy drive and they have always gone down well.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Aug 18, 7:15 AM
    • 16,826 Posts
    • 46,470 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good organic tinned Italian tomatoes?
    Originally posted by mattpaint
    For organic ones - as you requested - then you could always try your local health food store (if you have a "genuine" one - rather than a "chain - push the supplements one").

Though even a "chain/supplements" one should have canned organic tomatoes.

Personally - I alternate between Tesco organic canned ones and the ones from my local health food store (genuine variety). Both those places only have one choice of canned organic tomatoes - so it's Hobson's Choice with them. But, if you're in a bigger location, then hopefully you'll have more choice.

EDIT; Just had quick check in my larder. I've only got the Tesco ones in at the moment - they are Italian and ready-chopped.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-08-2018 at 7:18 AM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5,880 Posts
    • 63,912 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Canned tomatoes - I now buy a brand called ATP, from the "World Foods" aisle".. They are cheap and really good, but I must admit I never thought of looking to see whether they were plastic-lined.
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 11th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mattpaint
    For organic ones - as you requested - then you could always try your local health food store (if you have a "genuine" one - rather than a "chain - push the supplements one").

Though even a "chain/supplements" one should have canned organic tomatoes.

Personally - I alternate between Tesco organic canned ones and the ones from my local health food store (genuine variety). Both those places only have one choice of canned organic tomatoes - so it's Hobson's Choice with them. But, if you're in a bigger location, then hopefully you'll have more choice.

EDIT; Just had quick check in my larder. I've only got the Tesco ones in at the moment - they are Italian and ready-chopped.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Thank you. I usually use Organico so trying to stock up on those but my local co-operative (not the supermarket) can't get more in and they barely have enough as it is.

How are the Tesco ones? The Waitrose ones are good but they're closing the stores here soon.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 11th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I'm not sure what is going on but my local supermarkets seem to have lots of empty shelves. We haven't had much fizzy drinks for weeks, the freezer section is almost empty, didn't have the butter I normally use. I've been in Sainsbury's and Aldi this week and seems much the same in both. Also hardly any bacon and what there was seemed to be smoked which DH doesn't like. I live in a holiday area so maybe it is the visitors, roll on September when life goes back to normal.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 11th Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    dreaming
    I'm not sure what is going on but my local supermarkets seem to have lots of empty shelves. We haven't had much fizzy drinks for weeks, the freezer section is almost empty, didn't have the butter I normally use. I've been in Sainsbury's and Aldi this week and seems much the same in both. Also hardly any bacon and what there was seemed to be smoked which DH doesn't like. I live in a holiday area so maybe it is the visitors, roll on September when life goes back to normal.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    This is what I have been noticing over the last couple of months. The fizzy drinks I guess was because of the reported carbon dioxide shortage, and I know some of the barbecue food shelves were stripped because of the good weather, but in my local s/market it is what I consider to be basics that have been missing - the tinned tomatoes/pulses/oven chips/dried fruit. I don't live in a holiday area so not sure what can be the cause. I actually didn't go shopping this weekend as I decided to clear the freezer of all the odds and sods that accumulate, so some "make it up" style meals for a few days. Have started to make a list of what I do want to store for autumn/winter/brexit, but am also trying to be mindful of the budget as I have seen prices creeping up over the last couple of months as well. Cat food seems to be one of the costliest items on my list as my old puss only eats a certain brand. It's not the most costly brand thank goodness, but it has gone up quite a bit recently. I have also noticed the milk shelves in my local Tesco Express have been a bit sparse over the last 3 weeks. I did ask the manager about it but he just shrugged and walked away. I don't visit very often for myself but take my elderly neighbour round once or twice a week.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 67,131 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    No shortages here but I noticed that prices are already rising, especially dairy. Milk still the same price but yoghurt, cream and butter had all gone up in Sainsbury's, not been to Aldi this week. I'm running the freezer down now, so haven't bothered with a big shop.

As a matter of interest, What sort of things were missing......was it fresh produce or dry and tinned goods.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 41,267 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Our local Aldi was completely out of all squash, Sainsbury's and Asda was very low on stock, cannot find Lime Squash anywhere...
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 11th Aug 18, 5:54 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    dreaming
    No shortages here but I noticed that prices are already rising, especially dairy. Milk still the same price but yoghurt, cream and butter had all gone up in Sainsbury's, not been to Aldi this week. I'm running the freezer down now, so haven't bothered with a big shop.

As a matter of interest, What sort of things were missing......was it fresh produce or dry and tinned goods.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    It has been mixture in Morrisons. Dried fruit seems to have been scarce for weeks now, although I did get some last week (no sultanas though). Tinned tomatoes/lentils/chickpeas were down to a few tins per shelf - maybe everyone has started stocking up already? Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. but definitely some increases in price. The cereal aisle even seemed a bit sparse os well, although I managed to get some porridge oats. I shop at different times of the day as well - not just the end of the day when you might expect shelves to be empty. I can't decide whether it is actual shortage of goods or the shop's re-stocking policy. Funnily I noticed that there was plenty of organic milk on the shelves in Tesco, but not so much pasteurised (neighbour won't drink organic as she doesn't trust it!).
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 16,826 Posts
    • 46,470 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thank you. I usually use Organico so trying to stock up on those but my local co-operative (not the supermarket) can't get more in and they barely have enough as it is.

How are the Tesco ones? The Waitrose ones are good but they're closing the stores here soon.
    Originally posted by mattpaint
    The Tesco ones seem fine to me.

My sympathies on losing Waitrose - I think the nearest one to me these days is Cardiff (ie way too far away to be a viable proposition).

Re shortages of common goods in the shelves these days - I had it explained to me that the area I'm living in does have periods of time where they clear "standards" off the shelves to some extent and put on more the sort of thing holidaymakers are deemed to want and that that is what is happening at the moment here.

It's something I never noticed prior to moving here - but I think that's down to my home city is one that "everyone wants - all the time". But current area has "holiday period of the year" and things are different because of that. Yep....someone else agreed with me earlier today that there's a lot more holidaymakers around this year than previously. I've actually found myself navigating round people on the streets a fair bit recently -- which is something I'm not used to here - as there are a lot less people here. Add the "long shorts"/generally sporty gear and higher proportion of taller/more confident-looking people and average age going down... and yep....holidaymakers then.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-08-2018 at 6:03 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

378Posts Today

5,121Users online

Martin's Twitter