Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,193Posts
    • 6,171Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 39
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... But it seems prepping is something that people like doing. Fair enough, but it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this. That would be air raids or something like that.

I'm ok with having a few tins, UHT milk in store and bottled water. We will survive a few days on that. Not long term. And I don't think as a proud First World country we should have to prep for anything else really.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Hi

The issue is that it's effectively a form of contingency planning for an issue that may never happen, and most-likely won't be that noticeable to most if it does anyway! ...

Regarding "... it should never be necessary without a warning that we need to do this" ... to most who have a plan for such things, that's effectively what they're more afraid of ... the minute that some numpty official somewhere warns of a possible shortage of anything in particular, you can be sure that panic buying will strip the shelves of it in no time whether necessary or not - it's almost a cardinal rule! ... the last thing anyone should be looking to do is to always sit back & wait for someone else tell them what to do, the problem is that these days too many people prefer to not think things through and make their own decisions, intentionally leaving the option open to blame others ...

Over 23 centuries ago Aristotle famously noted ... "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom" ... if you know yourself then you can reason for yourself and not continually rely on others to reason & think on your behalf & tell you what to do, which is quite apt really considering the subject at hand! ...

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 08-08-2018 at 9:26 PM. Reason: grammar
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 8th Aug 18, 9:30 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,412 Thanks
    dreaming
    [QUOTE=melanzana;74635165]Sorry now.

That is my feeling anyway. I don't like it. Have never had to think about it, and don't want to have to be concerned about it for me or my family. I am actually quite upset about it all TBH. So unnecessary to put this kind of pressure on people in a First World Country isn't it?

/QUOTE]

Apologies, I based my answer on what you said previously that you were upset about it all, and certainly didn't mean that you shouldn't read and post. It was a genuine suggestion in the sense that there are certain things that I choose to ignore for my own reasons.
    I am totally in support of healthy debate, and was not dismissing your POV at all, but this thread is not for debating but for help and advice. I take what I want from it (such as using tinned veg. in soup - hadn't actually occurred to me as I used to grow most of my own veg) and ignore some of it that I might think is a bit ridiculous/not applicable to me.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 8th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 7,526 Thanks
    melanzana
    Debate is about putting your side across for others to ponder. Debate isn't about pulling the opposing side to pieces.

Debate isn't 'having a go' at a group of people who live their lives in a way that you don't.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    How did I do that pray tell? If the opposing side is good enough, they should hammer me down right now!

I don't mind either way.

My points were that that excessive prepping for Brexit (which is the premise of the thread let it be said) is futile, and so unnecessary really. Well it should never be necessary in this day and age.

Such a sad outcome now. We are all against each other. Not a good look anymore is it? And so unnecessary.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 101,707 Thanks
    fuddle
    As has been said before though, this is Old Style. This is where like minded people come together to share Old Style based experiences, coping strategies, knowledge and ideas.

Why come to Old Style to debate when it's been made clear that you're not interested in Old Style coping strategies? Would you go to Bankruptcy to talk about the best interest rated credit cards or to Increase Your Income to talk about a lottery win?

Please, have a thought for the people who have an interest in Old Style ideals and go and debate on Discussion Time. You're being selfish now. You're ruining this thread.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 8th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 7,526 Thanks
    melanzana
    [QUOTE=dreaming;74635688]
    Sorry now.

That is my feeling anyway. I don't like it. Have never had to think about it, and don't want to have to be concerned about it for me or my family. I am actually quite upset about it all TBH. So unnecessary to put this kind of pressure on people in a First World Country isn't it?

/QUOTE]

Apologies, I based my answer on what you said previously that you were upset about it all, and certainly didn't mean that you shouldn't read and post. It was a genuine suggestion in the sense that there are certain things that I choose to ignore for my own reasons.
    I am totally in support of healthy debate, and was not dismissing your POV at all, but this thread is not for debating but for help and advice. I take what I want from it (such as using tinned veg. in soup - hadn't actually occurred to me as I used to grow most of my own veg) and ignore some of it that I might think is a bit ridiculous/not applicable to me.
    Thank you. I get that the thread is not for debate but for prepping.

But I cannot help myself when I think that people might have to do this now.

Appreciate your post enormously.

Will move on now. (maybe!)

You are the first poster to have a view outside the "Prepping for Brexit" theme.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 101,707 Thanks
    fuddle
    For what it's worth melanzana people have had to do this already. If you've got through life and you haven't had to prep well I'm pleased things worked out for you. For me? Not so. My cupboards have been stocked for years and have saved my families bacon on one than one occasion. Please, just let us talk about our thing eh?
    Be like a tree.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... My points were that that excessive prepping for Brexit (which is the premise of the thread let it be said) is futile, and so unnecessary really. Well it should never be necessary in this day and age ...
    Hi

I don't think that there's much in the way of 'excessive prepping' on the thread, there's definitely some over-exuberance in some posts but what most are seeking is likely little more than an idea of what items may have a temporary shortage due to extending the supply lead-time by a few hours or in the worst case, a few days and the knock-on effect of doing so as it always takes a good multiple of the timescale for which an issue such as a national shortage lasts for things to return to normal ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 8th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    I'm going to avoid the political discussions on here, but I will say that I prep for my own reasons. I have children with disabilities and prep every year prior to winter anyway, as they have particular food issues as well as high anxiety, so if there is inclement weather or someone is ill, getting to the supermarket is sometimes not an option. Yes, supermarkets deliver, but sometimes what we might need is not worth the £40 or more minimum that supermarkets require for delivery. Plus I prefer to buy some items on offer and stock up to keep overall costs down.

I've started stocking up on nonperishables, OTC meds, and tinned goods, just by adding extra to each shop. If nothing else, if we have an unexpected expense, having a well stocked cupboard can be a God-send as you can save money on a weekly shop and use that money towards the unexpected expense. If prices are higher after Brexit, a well stock cupboard can help keep the food bill a bit lower as well.

While I understand that the ins and outs of Brexit are complicated and worrying, I think all the political talk has derailed any discussion of what actual prepping people are doing or may need to do.
    Last edited by Pennydropped; 08-08-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: ETA: further discussion
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 8th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 7,526 Thanks
    melanzana
    Hi

I don't think that there's much in the way of 'excessive prepping' on the thread, there's definitely some over-exuberance in some posts but what most are seeking is likely little more than an idea of what items may have a temporary shortage due to extending the supply lead-time by a few hours or in the worst case, a few days and the knock-on effect of doing so as it always takes a good multiple of the timescale for which an issue such as a national shortage lasts for things to return to normal ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Why should our country's citizens have to worry about this at all?

There should be no supply chain drops ever.

I bet Theresa May will not have to stock up anything. As usual it is the ordinary person who will worry. Rees Mogg will be in Dublin, Boris will be fine.

Some UK people seem to thrive on penury and kow towing to our betters.

I am sorry if I may have offended anyone, and perhaps this is not the thread to say it. But honestly...... where is the common sense gone now?
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 8th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,412 Thanks
    dreaming
    Hi

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    I have often thought that the very meaning of the word "prepping" takes on different connotations . For some it means full-on Armageddon contingencies with bunkers and generators and 2 years worth of food and water, for others it can be as simple as noticing that they are getting a bit short of their favourite tea and it's on offer so they buy 2. Most people are in the middle and veer from one end to the other at any given time according to their own experiences/fears/finances. I don't really consider myself a "prepper" but I would say I am "prepared" - for certain things that I can see "might" happen - but I have also lived long enough to know that there is always something that will rear its head and bite you unawares.
    But being prepared has been going on for centuries (it's even mentioned in the Bible (7 wise virgins/7 foolish virgins etc.?) so to me it is not about doomsday (not much I can do about that if it's going to happen) but just common-sense thinking. For example I know that it is 138 days to Xmas (ok I googled it) so I will start to think about making some cards/buying a few presents to spread the cost. That's "prepping" in one sense, it just seems to me that the word has taken on some sort of darker meaning in some circles.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 8th Aug 18, 10:15 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 7,526 Thanks
    melanzana
    Can I ask what do preppers do with their stash after a couple of years when it is no longer potable or edible (apart from cans and tins that last forever)
    • Pennydropped
    • By Pennydropped 8th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Pennydropped
    Can I ask what do preppers do with their stash after a couple of years when it is no longer potable or edible (apart from cans and tins that last forever)
    I replace as I use things, over the winter, so that it stays at generally the same level, and within reasonable date. Then we use it more in the late spring/summer, and restock in autumn again.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 101,707 Thanks
    fuddle
    Preppers don't have that problem. They have the common sense to roll their stocks i.e. rotate using up the older items when replacing with new. Preppers also have the common sense not to stash foods that aren't shelf stable.
    Be like a tree.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 8th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,412 Thanks
    dreaming
    The idea is that you rotate it so although you have, say, a 2 year stash, you actually do use it but replace it as you go along. A sort of "rolling" stock. I have read about prepping in places like America, where despite being a (questionably) first world country, some take it extremely seriously (many have bought land and dug wells etc. to provide their own water supplies). Not anything I would do even if I had the land/money/physical ability but I am absolutely fascinated by other ways of life, and also love a good, dystopian science fiction story. As I said earlier about this thread, I take what I want from it and disregard the rest, but I hope I never get so fixed in my ideas that I can't learn from others even if I modify or moderate their ideas.
    Right tea, then bed Maybe we will all wake tomorrow and find it has all been a dream. Goodnight.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Aug 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 3,108 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I have to say that I can see where Melanzana is coming from (which reminds me I must try again next year and grow some again). I've got enough wine for a year at a bottle a week, plenty of flour as I bake my own and I can never resist picking up anchovies and tinned tomatoes when they are on offer, quite a few bottles of olive oil that I buy on holiday and this week I shall be in Lidl for Spanish week stocking up with their anchovy stuffed olives!

But I don't consider myself a prepper, and sometimes this thread seems a bit overwrought or 'exuberant' was the word Zeupater used. But I'd have to strongly take issue with his analysis that the negotiations are going badly because of people opposed to Brexit. I just see people, who understand their own business and sector trying to fight their corners or, much more worryingly, trying to find out what the plans are amidst worrying uncertainty.

What's the use of worrying, it never was worthwhile... but I still might buy a few more tins of anchovy tomorrow, reduced in Aldi. Getting fresh mozzarella for my pizzas might become a little more difficult!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Aug 18, 11:38 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 101,707 Thanks
    fuddle
    Prepping has never been popular. The prepping thread is often visited by people who wish to ridicule. I do 'get it'. We're a bunch of silly worry worts who are hiding from the world from behind our bags of flour. 9 years ago to the very week I didn't have a store cupboard. We also didn't have a home and we had no way of getting out of a financial mess. We scrabbled about rebuilding a life in a damp rental with a heavy handed attitude landlord.

I came to OS because we struggled to heat and eat. I learned how to prepare my house for winter -taped bubble wrap to windows, stuffed carrier bags into a pillow case as a draught excluder and so on and on. I came to the fence thread and learned about padding out meals with oats and lentils, having a soup starter to fill ourselves so as not to need to consume much in the way of meat that we couldn't afford and I went to preppers who taught me that I need never go hungry, even in financial difficulty, If I have a working store cupboard. I have a psychological need to have a well stocked store cupboard. That is what life has taught me.That is my crux.That is how I keep my family safe. It now goes beyond that in terms of I have a well stocked wood store and working on a coal store too. I have cash in the house in case of technical issues with the bank.

All these things are quite relevant to prepping for Brexit but while so many of you are upset at the sheer thought of such madness towards the idea of this silly, stupid situation that we all find ourselves in together, so much of that is directed towards people who have already struggled in their lives and most probably much worse than what this Brexit mess will throw at them.

Preppers do have common sense. The logic might not be understood but by goodness, preppers are ingenious people with oodles of nouse. They have to be because many have flown by the seat of their pants at some point.

G'night.
    Last edited by fuddle; 08-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Be like a tree.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 8th Aug 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    zeupater
    Why should our country's citizens have to worry about this at all?

There should be no supply chain drops ever.

I bet Theresa May will not have to stock up anything. As usual it is the ordinary person who will worry. Rees Mogg will be in Dublin, Boris will be fine.

Some UK people seem to thrive on penury and kow towing to our betters.

I am sorry if I may have offended anyone, and perhaps this is not the thread to say it. But honestly...... where is the common sense gone now?
    Hi

I'm not worried, above that you'll probably find that anyone with a forward looking view isn't too worried either ... it seems like the only ones attempting to convey a sense of worry on this thread and in other places are the ones with vested interests in creating worry in order to some way have an influence on what Brexit actually looks like, either that or they're in total denial ...

Talking about common sense, we live in a village that's not too far from a market town, so our own logistics issues include country lanes and the like, but at least we're not in the middle of nowhere with no amenities ... the application of common sense here would suggest that anything likely to run short in any of the supermarkets will have long gone before we'd be able to get there even if we left in a panic-buying spree at the same time as everyone else ...

Regarding supply chain disruption ... it happens all of the time even in the largest of industries, but the issue is that they're normally well mitigated by well established contingency plans so most don't even appreciate what's gone on to keep things working ... think about a company running a just-in-time supply chain through Dover and what they do when the potential stormy weather which could affect the logistics is forecast ... well, at a lower level the supply of food into many/most households is conducted on a JiT basis too, people shop, eat, run out ... rinse & repeat, usually on a weekly basis .... Brexit can simply be seen as a forecast of conditions that could potentially impact on the supply of certain goods which are sourced from within the EU for a short period of time whilst new working procedures are settled in (if necessary!) .... it's simple really, if it comes from the EU (as opposed to from the UK or anywhere else) and you definitely can't live without it for a short time, just hold more stock than usual, and if it's got a short shelf life think about a suitable alternative (think fresh tomatoes or olives & tinned tomatoes or jars of olives!) ... that's all it comes down to for us!

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 09-08-2018 at 1:30 AM. Reason: grammar
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 9th Aug 18, 1:17 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    zeupater
    .... But I don't consider myself a prepper, and sometimes this thread seems a bit overwrought or 'exuberant' was the word Zeupater used. But I'd have to strongly take issue with his analysis that the negotiations are going badly because of people opposed to Brexit. I just see people, who understand their own business and sector trying to fight their corners or, much more worryingly, trying to find out what the plans are amidst worrying uncertainty.

What's the use of worrying, it never was worthwhile... but I still might buy a few more tins of anchovy tomorrow, reduced in Aldi. Getting fresh mozzarella for my pizzas might become a little more difficult!
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Hi

In defence & for clarity ... Regarding the pace of Brexit negotiations, I'm pretty sure that I didn't mention that negotiations were going badly, just that forms of intentional delay ensured that "less opportunity for planning a route through the process prior to leaving is available" - here's the paragraph in question ...
    The more the argument & indecision raised & caused by those still haven't accepted that we'll be leaving the EU, the less opportunity for planning a route through the process prior to leaving is available ... Brexit could have been a relatively straightforward process if the ideology & emotions of those in denial (within the UK & EU) hadn't got (/weren't still getting) in the way ..
    It's likely that there'd be general agreement that the EU and it's institutions aren't too happy and therefore logically have an interest in opposing the idea that the population of the UK have chosen/decided to leave through their accepted democratic process, which would likely also be the case for a good proportion of multinational organisations (on a vested interests basis), UK civil servants with career ambitions that include Brussels and many others for which the additional workload involved in delivering a change process within a set timescale is particularly unwelcome ... surely there's merit in assessing that delay & a degree of 'stirring' would be particularly welcomed as being beneficial by these groups (amongst others) in the hope that there'll eventually be movement, especially if everyone else doesn't realise that the initial logistical storm that's being forecast (the one we're interested in within this thread) is likely akin to that contained in a teacup than a full howler ... effectively it's not really a contentious assessment.

For the majority of companies already trading on a truly international basis with global supply lines there's already a great deal of contingency planning for various situation that can be directly applied, as for handling EU trade reporting & customs, well that really comes down to a variation on intrastat reporting, which would also be the basis for categorisation for any trade deals as all of the codes applicable to EU trade already exist in the required detail with both parties fully aware of the value of each commodity & product crossing borders ... any analogy between rocket science and any trade negotiation process just doesn't stand up to scrutiny, in real terms it's little more than a straight tick list with a calculator and a score-card! ... but it still suits those concerned to establish a view that they'll be working very, very hard ... this is why I believe that what happens in the long term on the really important negotiations, the trade deal, will be relatively straightforward as long as there's political will from both sides ... if not it's straight to WTO and both Brussels & Westminster get beaten up by a myriad of powerful industry lobbies until they finally make reasonable trade deal progress ..

Anyway, we too enjoy a number of continental cheeses, however, if the weather's decent on Friday or Saturday we'll be checking out some alternative local(ish) suppliers ... not that I'm worried about supply, it's just something we do in August most years & we do like to support local supply!

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 09-08-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: grammar / +for
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 48,942 Thanks
    maryb
    Life throws us all sorts of curve balls. I find it a bit odd to say it's unfair that we should have to deal with one stemming from wider forces outside our control. Middle class professionals starting their careers in the 1970s never expected to have to deal with redundancy in an advanced economy.

In fact, my own view is that prepping for Brexit probably won't involve much more upheaval than prepping for a bad winter. But the specifics might be different so I need to think about what might be hard to get hold of for a while.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 17,341 Posts
    • 48,099 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    On a positive thought - and I'd be willing to bet there are those of an entrepreneural cast of mind already "prepping" to head over to the Continent with lorries/stock them up with food at the nearest supermarket or wholesaler and re-emerge selling them back here in our markets.

Well - I certainly would be reviewing my options in their position (ie with lorry/driving skills/etc) and planning to top up my bank account by buying & selling like that.

A 21st century version of the Booze Cruise - clinking back across the channel with lots of bottles of booze bought abroad

Guess my own prepping ought to be thinking in terms of what places near me they're likely to sell stuff like that.....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-08-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,222Posts Today

7,438Users online

Martin's Twitter