Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,381Posts
    • 8,519Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 167
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 11th Jan 20, 12:22 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 10,712 Thanks
    Living proof
    DigforVictory - itís been many weeks since Iíve read here regularly and Iím only just catching up or I would have posted much earlier. Iím so very, very sorry for your loss, and for everything youíre going through now.
    Originally posted by Cappella

I second this DforV, you are very much in my thoughts. Having lost a son myself 35 years ago I know the pain and feelings of unreality you must be feeling. Look after yourself!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 2:26 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,534 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    HWK is going to have a hernia repair done on Wednesday that will put him out of driving and lifting action for a few weeks over the time that Brexit happens (well, perhaps?) so over the weekend we have topped up with what we need that's storable including tinned meats, loo rolls and OTC Meds. Nor from any panic concerning the actual Brexit happening but in anticipation of possible disruptions to the supply chain to the shops for any one of a number of reasons. We will use all of it in the general course of things anyway, haven't bought in anything exotic or outlandish but just good staples that will let us have life as normal without any lack in out lives, it makes sense to me to do it.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 2:42 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    HWK is going to have a hernia repair done on Wednesday that will put him out of driving and lifting action for a few weeks over the time that Brexit happens (well, perhaps?) so over the weekend we have topped up with what we need that's storable including tinned meats, loo rolls and OTC Meds. Nor from any panic concerning the actual Brexit happening but in anticipation of possible disruptions to the supply chain to the shops for any one of a number of reasons. We will use all of it in the general course of things anyway, haven't bought in anything exotic or outlandish but just good staples that will let us have life as normal without any lack in out lives, it makes sense to me to do it.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    As all the votes have gone through, I think we're fine until December aren't we ?

Good luck to HWK
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 2:45 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,534 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd like to think so but this is the UK and one never ever knows does one?

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jan 20, 2:56 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    All stocked up on the awkward & heavy stuff (loo roll, cans, fresh trying to roll fruit & veg) - excellent. Firewood in manageable lumps?
    All the very best to you both!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 3:03 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,534 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh yes and lots of kindling and saved newspapers for lighting the stove too, I also include oxo's in my 'must haves'!

• jamanda
    • By jamanda 12th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 8,115 Thanks
    jamanda
    Mrs LW - my other half had a hernia repair and the best thing we have done is to get him some braces. He said the waistband/belt rubbed his scar, and the braces stop this happening. Of course, some idiot bought him some bright green ones with tractors on for Christmas. Stunning.
    • C J
    • By C J 12th Jan 20, 4:38 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 8,073 Thanks
    C J
    My little tip for HWK is that if someone is picking him up by car after the op, bring a small cushion. Preferably something half the size and thickness of a normal scatter cushion, which he can use to shield his scar/stitches with in the event that the seatbelt fastens across that area.

Hope all goes well!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 5:17 PM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,534 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks folks, I shall make sure some padding is in his bag to take in with him and braces I can get as we always have a few pairs in the charity shop so thanks very much for the tips xxx.

• Cappella
    • By Cappella 12th Jan 20, 9:07 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Cappella
    Sending every good wish to HWKs MrsLurcherWalker.

We are well stocked, the only thing Iíve added to our Brexit shelves are 6 tins of peach halves and another tin of custard powder. Everything in our íedibleí stash is food we normally eat anyway so it certainly wont be wasted. I might pick up some more flour this week. Iíve been slowly emptying our freezer and I can tuck it in there for a few days to kill any beasties. Will be interesting to see what happens, weíre as prepped as we canoe though which never hurts.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 9:12 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    weíre as prepped as we canoe though which never hurts.
    clearly got a spare paddle then
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,930 Thanks
    unrecordings
    the only thing I’ve added to our Brexit shelves are 6 tins of peach halves and another tin of custard powder.
    Wow, that just triggered a very vivid taste memory (i'm sure there's a medical term for it) - tinned peaches & Carnation cream - must have been during the Three Day Week
    Last edited by unrecordings; 12-01-2020 at 9:19 PM. Reason: missing word
    • amywoodmead
    • By amywoodmead 13th Jan 20, 9:42 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    amywoodmead
    My bf and I have got a backup stock of essentials. Not specifically for Brexit, but for any event. We're no "preppers" but it just seems like common sense to have a few supplies in. A snowstorm is enough to bring this country to its knees lol
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 13th Jan 20, 9:50 AM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,388 Thanks
    euronorris
    My little tip for HWK is that if someone is picking him up by car after the op, bring a small cushion. Preferably something half the size and thickness of a normal scatter cushion, which he can use to shield his scar/stitches with in the event that the seatbelt fastens across that area.

Hope all goes well!
    Originally posted by C J

I second this suggestion. Wish I'd had that after my C-section. The transfer from Bristol to WSM in the car wasn't very pleasant. Not helped by lots of roadworks at the time, which meant lots of bumps in the road. Not fun.

Hope all goes well for HWK, Mrs LW

ETA: I topped up the toilet roll this weekend, and our meat supply. Plenty of store cupboard stuff, but the meat was running low. Have since made a batch of chicken coconut curry (half eaten, half portioned and in the freezer), made a big batch of cottage pie last night (for tonight, leftovers will be portioned and in the freezer), and still now have another 8 or so chicken breasts to see us through until payday next Friday. I'll probably do a bigger shop then, just in case, ready for end of month.
    Last edited by euronorris; 13-01-2020 at 9:54 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jan 20, 10:32 AM
    • 13,981 Posts
    • 189,534 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've made sure to top up the pantry with tinned meats like ham and corned beef and also with tuna and some hot dog sausages. Not haute cuisine I know but all can be made into dishes that are tasty and easy to do but the main reason is they don't need a power supply to keep them in storage and the use by dates are 2024 on nearly all of them. I have tinned fruit and veg, loads of baked beans and tomatoes and tinned custard and evaporated milk too as they'll all get used in the fullness of time anyway. It makes sense to me to keep a good pantry for many different reasons including weather events, Brexit, riots (occasionally) and more likely being too poorly to go out for any length of time.

• euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Jan 20, 11:42 AM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 49,388 Thanks
    euronorris
    Good luck to HWK today Mrs LW! x
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jan 20, 12:23 PM
    • 9,183 Posts
    • 33,402 Thanks
    Primrose
    Probably stating the obvious but think it's particular sensible at this time of year to have in stock some easy meal options in tins or whatever due to weather problems, feeling unwell or just for those days when you really don,t feel up to making much effort in the kitxhen, which does seem to happen increasingly as you age.

As long as you're getting proteins and vitamins I don,t think it matters unduly where they're coming from although I like to have a stock of apples and fresh carrots in stock to chop up and nibble raw to get some fresh fibre inside me.

Incidentally a few months go I emptied the remains of a packet of carrot seeds in some bare earth around my patio perimeter. They've produced some very decorative foliage over this bare winter period and this morning I pulled up the first of some large splendid carrots. Just shows you can dot vegetable seeds in almost anywhere and still reap a worthwhile crop for pennies.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Jan 20, 7:06 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 38,266 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Out of curiosity, who has written what in the Guardian that got my sister out of bed with labyrinthitis to go buy loo roll?

Much intrigued, not least as it worked both to get her stocking up but also vertical for the first time in days. Loving sisters need to know...
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 64,826 Thanks
    Jazee
    Don't know DfV but we're stocking up on the stuff tomorrow now!
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan £0/total £0/£3600
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 19th Jan 20, 12:34 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    jago25_98
    If you're British and you have a European husband or wife you need to face the dilemma of choosing a side.

If the Brit dies while the partner is not in the UK then the partner loses the right to live in the UK.

I'm not sure about the EU side. It will probably be more humane.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter