Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 11th Jun 18, 4:06 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 104Thanks
    ivormonee
    Interactive Investor Research
    • 11th Jun 18, 4:06 PM
    Interactive Investor Research 11th Jun 18 at 4:06 PM
    Can I just ask if anyone else has any problems when, after logging in to Interactive Investor, selecting ETFs from the "Research" drop down menu? I am getting "error connecting to server" type messages. (I get the same error with shares from the drop down menu but investment trusts works fine).
Page 2
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 14th Jun 18, 1:15 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ivormonee
    Thanks everyone.

If of any interest, this is what I've tried so far: two different computers, three different browsers on both, Windows and Linux operating systems, cleared cache and cookies on both computers for all browsers, performed flush DNS, checked DNS hosts file on Windows, temporarily disabled AV and firewall, pinged URLs.

The reason for the DNS related actions was because the screenshot shows that the URL being looked for is www3.iii.co.uk whereas the URL in the address bar is https://secure.ii.co.uk/webbroker2/select-list/etfs.sp. In other words I'm on the webpage https://secure.ii.co.uk/webbroker2/select-list/etfs.sp which shows the screenshot in my previous message.

I've spoken to ii but they're not aware on any problem nor had anyone else report it. I've spoken to my ISP who checked my broadband settings but they couldn't identify anything either.

The reason for asking on this forum was to identify whether it was just me that was facing this issue or if others were too, in the latter case I'd be able to go back to ii and tell them it's not just me. I don't have anything conclusive on this yet though - see next paragraph for explanation.

Two people in this thread have found that the webpage in question does not give them the error (thanks very much for checking and letting me know) so it really looks like it's just me; however, you need to have a trading account and access the "research" options from within that, on a device not using mobile data, and NOT from within the free research account - it's not the same thing. If you checked without logging in to a trading account then that's not providing any information that can be used regarding the issue. Given all the testing I've done it simply hasn't been possible to get to the bottom of what's causing it.

I have ruled the issue out as a computer, operating system, firewall or browser-related issue. But then, what could it be? Are there any IT developers within these circles?

The mystery continues.
    Last edited by ivormonee; 14-06-2018 at 1:23 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Jun 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I don't get the error - Windows 10 and Chrome.
    • Sue S
    • By Sue S 14th Jun 18, 2:34 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Sue S
    I've just checked, I've got a trading account and have accessed the "research" option from within that as you requested. All is OK. I'm using a PC, Microsoft Edge.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 14th Jun 18, 6:04 PM
    • 9,497 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    masonic
    If of any interest, this is what I've tried so far: two different computers, three different browsers on both, Windows and Linux operating systems, cleared cache and cookies on both computers for all browsers, performed flush DNS, checked DNS hosts file on Windows, temporarily disabled AV and firewall, pinged URLs.

The reason for the DNS related actions was because the screenshot shows that the URL being looked for is www3.iii.co.uk whereas the URL in the address bar is https://secure.ii.co.uk/webbroker2/select-list/etfs.sp. In other words I'm on the webpage https://secure.ii.co.uk/webbroker2/select-list/etfs.sp which shows the screenshot in my previous message.
    Originally posted by ivormonee
    Sounds like DNS may be the culprit. If you run the following command, what do you get?
    Code:
    nslookup www3.iii.co.uk
    You should be seeing it resolve to an iicorp.uk domain and IP address, for example:

www3.iii.co.uk canonical name = tdor-www-tddirectinvesting-co-uk.resolv.iicorp.uk.
    Name: tdor-www-tddirectinvesting-co-uk.resolv.iicorp.uk
    Address: 185.194.40.22

My guess is that your DNS servers are not resolving that www3 domain name. If not, try repeating the command, specifying Google public DNS:
    Code:
    nslookup www3.iii.co.uk 8.8.8.8
    If this solves the problem, you could specify alternative DNS servers on your router or OS network configuration that are being better maintained (Google's secondary DNS IP is 8.8.4.4).
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 14th Jun 18, 9:28 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ivormonee
    Thanks MallyGirl and Sue S - that helped to identify the problem as "me only". Special thanks to masonic for the extra troubleshooting steps.

I tried nslookup and, as per your expectation, got the message: *** dsldevice.lan can't find www3.iii.co.uk: Server failed. I then tried nslookup with google's DNS and got:

nslookup www3.iii.co.uk 8.8.8.8
    Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: tdor-www-tddirectinvesting-co-uk.resolv.iicorp.uk
    Address: 185.194.40.22
    Aliases: www3.iii.co.uk

That indicated to me that the google nameserver should work. So I went into my TCP/ IPv4 settings and changed the DNS server addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. For good measure I closed the browser, did an ipconfig /flushdns, reopened the browser and ... the problem was still there!

Unbelievable!

The mystery continues ...
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 14th Jun 18, 11:22 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    I guess my (previous) last post is irrelevant as I was not logged in to a trading account. It was maybe z temp problem.

Ivor yiu ask about technical support and masonic is giving you xome good support. I woukd agree from what you both write it would seem a DNS problem but you seem to have done all that I in my dotage could have advised except for posting your problem description in the techie board https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
    to get more expert advice or even raising it on your ISP's community forum. I have noted similar queries regarding www3.ii.....on the Plusnet forum (not since the new web was published but certainly fairly recently.
    Best wishes.
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 15th Jun 18, 9:37 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ivormonee
    Thanks very much Heedtheadvice. What you posted was really useful. It confirms that there is a DNS issue of some sort and that nobody really understands exactly what it is or how it can be fixed. I can breathe a sigh of relief that my computer is not at fault, although I still can't access the website pages I need to within ii and may not be able to until either ii or the ISP is able to determine and fix the problem(s) with their DNS/ nameservers.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 15th Jun 18, 6:16 PM
    • 9,497 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    masonic
    These problems have a way of resolving themselves eventually. DNS propagation tends to be a little unreliable and for some reason CNAME records tend to be more troublesome than most.

Ultimately, if you use Chrome, in a few versions time it will be carrying out DNS queries over HTTPS to it's own nameservers, which will cut your ISP out of the loop.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 15th Jun 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    LHW99
    Just tried logging in to II and can't - just get an error message.
    Friday evening and everyone's gone home early I suppose.
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 15th Jun 18, 11:05 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    ivormonee
    Thanks again, Masonic. That's very useful to know. I might keep trying Chrome once in a while to see if that works at some point in the future. The whole affair though is poor as someone, somewhere - with the responsibility to make these things work - has failed with, probably, no consequence (for them).

LHW99 - your issue seems unconnected. The issue of this thread is the inaccessibility of some of the webpages within "Research" from the actual trading account once already logged in. If you can't even log in, then that's another issue.
    • purple rose
    • By purple rose 20th Jun 18, 12:26 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purple rose
    Yes getting the same error all day
    • purple rose
    • By purple rose 22nd Jun 18, 10:45 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purple rose
    Thanks again, Masonic. That's very useful to know. I might keep trying Chrome once in a while to see if that works at some point in the future. The whole affair though is poor as someone, somewhere - with the responsibility to make these things work - has failed with, probably, no consequence (for them).

LHW99 - your issue seems unconnected. The issue of this thread is the inaccessibility of some of the webpages within "Research" from the actual trading account once already logged in. If you can't even log in, then that's another issue.
    Originally posted by ivormonee

Hi Ivormonee, Ive been getting the same issue for the past week. they are the only 2 pages on the internet cannot access. (yes whilst logged in to trading account).
    What ISP are you using?
    • DaveyB123
    • By DaveyB123 3rd Jul 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveyB123
    I get the exact same error on the same pages. Same results from the DNS tests mentioned. ii are taking about a week to reply to each of my messages with no solution yet. Did you manage to get yours fixed?
    • DaveyB123
    • By DaveyB123 3rd Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveyB123
    Who's your internet provider, Plusnet?
    • purple rose
    • By purple rose 5th Jul 18, 1:27 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    purple rose
    Who's your internet provider, Plusnet?
    Originally posted by DaveyB123

Who is your ISP ? iam with BT
    • DaveyB123
    • By DaveyB123 5th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DaveyB123
    I'm with Plusnet. Other Plusnet users have reported the issue, but that's interesting you are with BT Internet
    • masonic
    • By masonic 5th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 9,497 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    masonic
    Plusnet is owned by BT. Supposedly run separately, but might share some infrastructure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,134Posts Today

7,616Users online

Martin's Twitter