Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshbabe88
    • By welshbabe88 9th Jun 18, 10:54 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 35Thanks
    welshbabe88
    Healthy Soft Drink Advice Please
    • 9th Jun 18, 10:54 AM
    Healthy Soft Drink Advice Please 9th Jun 18 at 10:54 AM
    Hi - just starting to get out and about a bit after being ill for a number of years - like to meet up with friends but don't drink alcohol when out as I drive.

BUT what to drink that isn't full of artifical sweeteners and additives.

Tried J2O but that has sweeteners, also did bitter lemon and tonic water (yuck!). Now I usually have a classic coke as althoguh it contains sugar at least its not artificial.

But can anyone point me in the direction of something better please?
Page 1
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 9th Jun 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    squiggles
    • 9th Jun 18, 1:37 PM
    • 9th Jun 18, 1:37 PM
    If I was driving I would order a britvic orange juice or it's branding equivalent depending on the venue. You can either drink it as it is or ask for it to be topped up with soda water which doesn't dilute the taste too much.

I know you don't like the bitter lemon and tonic, I dint either but I do like a soda water with lemon slices and ice cubes, I have this quite often in summer.
    • CheapChick
    • By CheapChick 9th Jun 18, 2:27 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    CheapChick
    • 9th Jun 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Jun 18, 2:27 PM
    Soda and Lime is a nice refreshing and cheap drink!!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 9th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 4,605 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 9th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    • 9th Jun 18, 4:19 PM
    Iced coffee - or some ideas here
    https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/best-soft-drinks-for-adults-go-sober-for-october-a7339111.html
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 9th Jun 18, 4:45 PM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 17,886 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 9th Jun 18, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Jun 18, 4:45 PM
    I always ask for tap water.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.8
    Total so far - 3886.2
    • ailey
    • By ailey 9th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    ailey
    • 9th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    Try this one
    • 9th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    A few weeks ago I lifted every brand of diluting juice in our local Tesco (yes, every brand lol) to find any which did not have aspartame or sweeteners and I only found one. It's called Rocks and 100% squished....just add water. Just went through for the bottle so I'll list the ingredients for you:

Rocks spring water, Organic cane sugar, Organic whole oranges (11%), Citric acid, Organic orange oil.

No artificial sweeteners, No artifical colours, No artificial flavours

A bit more expensive than the ones with all the additives as it costs 2.50 but I'd highly recommend it and worth paying a little bit more for something so good.

What you could do is decant some into a smaller bottle and just order iced water when you are out then sneak some of this into your glass. If anyone does happen to notice, you could just say that you need to use this one for health reasons but I'm sure, if discreet, that nobody would actually notice.

Hope this helps.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • welshbabe88
    • By welshbabe88 10th Jun 18, 12:16 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    welshbabe88
    • 10th Jun 18, 12:16 AM
    • 10th Jun 18, 12:16 AM
    Thanks all - some great suggestions there. I pop out for company not the drinks so its just to have something - I usually onyl buy one just to look ok. Don't think I could ask for tap water but the other suggestions all sound nice - thanks for the info on Rocks Ailey - cutting down on sugar is a good principal but I'd rather sugar than artifical sweetener - cutting down on sugar should mena just that - not repalcing it with something else.
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 23rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 5,340 Thanks
    skint_chick
    • 23rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    I don't drink and I'm allergic to citrus fruit, so usually just have sparkling water. Sometimes I bring a little coconut water in those silicone travel bottles you get in pound shops etc and add a little squirt of it to give the water some flavour. Sometimes I add sliced fruit like grapes, pineapple chunks, apple etc that I bring in my bag in a little tiny tupperware style tub (pound shop/Ikea/supermarket etc). No-one's ever said anything to me in restaurants and bars.

If you're using citrus/sugary fruit then I can also recommend getting a stainless steel straw and a little pouch to keep it in for your bag - to protect your teeth and save the planet!
    Last edited by skint_chick; 23-07-2018 at 9:08 PM. Reason: forgot a word!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8,963 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 23rd Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    Virgin Mary. Probably counts as one of your five a day!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • LilTerryWhite
    • By LilTerryWhite 6th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LilTerryWhite
    I like the tap or regular soda with lemon/lime and mint.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Aug 18, 2:15 AM
    • 25,349 Posts
    • 102,422 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    A lot of pubs sell Fentiman's soft drinks.

I can definitely recommend the Rose Lemonade.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I find as a diabetic that getting soft drinks that are reasonably healthy is difficult.

I bought some high juice squash with sweetener but is was so awful it ended up in the sink. I tried it with sugar but there was so much in it I gave it away.

I go to a lot of food fairs and have found some really good products that are low in sugar but they tend to be too expensive for more than occasional use.

My current favourite is Waitrose lime cordial. It's not too sweet and as I dilute it a lot it's not too sugary.

If I'm in a pub or restaurant I havelin mineral water with ice/slice.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 15th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I just get a good quality water / mineral water. Or I'll have a cuppa, loads of pubs do tea and coffee.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 18th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    I take a 250ml bottle or two of Evian with me everywhere I go, even in winter. husband is partial to Badoit with lemon.

In the South of France they do citron presse which is freshly squeezed lemon juice and water with sugar - and the more knowledgeable places bring it all to you, so you can mix to own taste.

Don't know how sugary Appletize is or Russchian or whether they are still made ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,074Posts Today

7,979Users online

Martin's Twitter