Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B17c
    • By B17c 9th Jun 18, 6:19 AM
    • 333Posts
    • 1,905Thanks
    B17c
    Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker
    • 9th Jun 18, 6:19 AM
    Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker 9th Jun 18 at 6:19 AM
    Hi all, I’m currently £11k in debt, enough is enough, I need to get rid once and for all.
    I’m not in dire straits, still managing to pay my rent, bills, minimum payments but it’s tight and there’s no real ‘spare money’ at the end of the month. I’m after tips and ideas on how to cut back/save money/make money to clear the debt quicker...

Things I’ve thought of are:
    Eating through any stores in my cupboards
    Doing a carboot sale or selling on eBay as I do actually have quite a lot of stuff I could get rid of.. I really want to do a carboot sale but I don’t drive so need to find someone that would do one with me
    Buying ‘own brand’ or ‘basics’ food
    Cancelling my gym membership
    Walking to work instead of getting the bus

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

I work nights so could pick up an extra shift as overtime but a 2nd job isn’t feasible
    I rent with 2 other flatmate’s so would have to speak to them regarding bills/utilities
    Credit Card Debt:£12991 £12526
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019
    #126 £1900/£12526
Page 5
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    B17c WOW, that's a sizeable chunk off the Aqua card and now that you have enough euros for the trip, anything else that comes in from selling stuff can knock a bit off as well. At this rate you will have that Aqua card paid off before Christmas. That is amazing.

Think, How come the electric bill is so much in a heatwave? I could understand it if it was really cold and the heating was on, but it seems weird to have such a high bill in this weather. Did they give you any idea of why it was suddenly so much more?

Sorry about the unscheduled change to your user name T I n k . My tablet is a law unto itself.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 5,216 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Wow that is great about your tax rebate!

I don't know Monnagran! We pay £52 a month for the elec - I just assumed as we were now in a house not a flat it was just the extra cost incurred? We have had too but no idea? We have a smart meter but not really sure how to use it to be fair!
    Living the simple life
    £2 savings challenge
    • B17c
    • By B17c 11th Jul 18, 7:58 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Morning all... sorrry I've been quiet, I've been working A LOT over the past week, not long home from a 12 hour night shift.. need to sleeeepp!
    Waiting for my rebate to clear so I can put it towards my aqua card... will hopefully get a fatter pay check too with all this overtime but that won't be til around the 25th...
    My friend rang me this morning about the chaperone work, the family are coming over end of July for 6 weeks... it's normally long days eg 9am til 9pm but I can't fit that around work. I've asked her to check with them if I can do 9 til 6, though it would still mean 4 days a week with barely any sleep, if any. Though it's very well paid and I'm thinking 6 weeks of little sleep is worth it for nearly 5K!
    I'm off to sleep now, last shift in tonight then 3 days off!
    Plan for my 3 days off:
    Batch cook
    List items on eBay
    Sort out carboot stuff
    Plan grocery shop, I've 14 weeks to fit into a bikini so I think slimming world is going to be on the cards again!!
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 5,216 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi - your doing really well!
    The money sounds good but make sure it's do able as your health is very important. Have you thought about using some annual leave on your normal job in order to make taking the 2nd job easier as it's only short term?
    Think about the tax too as that jump in wage and effect your tax code etc!

Tink
    Living the simple life
    £2 savings challenge
    • B17c
    • By B17c 15th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Thanks Tink! It was private work, cash in hand but it's not happening now I've been told, gutted as the money would've helped so much!
    Not much new to report, waiting on pay day... I joined slimming world again, need to make sure the extra hours I did last week have been put in the system...
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    Sorry, not been around for a bit owing to more than the usual mayhem going on.

What a bummer about the job B17c. Still, if you can do extra hours on your normal job it will help with getting extra to whittle down the Aqua card.

How are you surviving the heatwave? I has made me not so hungry so I am taking the opportunity to knock a bit of weight off. It's a bit like getting debt down only in pounds and ounces instead of pounds and pence.
    Good luck with Slimming World. People swear by it but I have tried it twice and put weight ON each time. I must have tried every diet going and every slimming club in existence since 1955 and none of them have worked brilliantly.
    However, I have just read The Overfed Head, purchased at great expense, and it makes perfect sense. I have lost 4 lbs almost painlessly in just over a week. Unheard of in my lifetime. Of course, the hot weather helps.

Keep plugging on. You'll get there.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 21st Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    How's it going B17c? We're heading towards the end of another month and I'm wondering how your saving is coming along and if you will soon be able to slim your debt on the Aqua card as much as you will hopefully be losing at Fat Club.

Have you still got the hot weather? People on the forum keep reporting heavy rain storms. Lucky them. We've not seen a drop of rain for weeks.
    • B17c
    • By B17c 6th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Hi Monnagran! Sorry for the lack of posts, I've been doing a lot of over time at work, haven't really managed to do anything more to make money eg carboot sale still hasn't gone ahead...
    I've lost half a stone at slimming world!
    This probably wasn't the best way to go about it but I've increased my overdraft amount slightly and am taking £500 a month if I can manage it and putting it into another account, then when I have a chunk I'm planning on paying it off the card with the smallest balance to get that gone, then on to the next etc... I only pay £6 a month for my overdraft and I pay much more than that on credit cards so I figured I could have one card paid off in a couple of months by doing it that way... I've got £1000 in there now, and doing a fair bit of overtime this month so will add another £500 to that on 25/8.
    We've had a day of rain but that's it, it's still sooooo hot! Looking forward to autumn so I can get some sleep finally! Greece in 9 weeks so want to have lost another stone if possible!
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oooff! Well done on the slimming front. It makes you feel a whole lot better about yourself, doesn't it? Keep it up.

I so envy you going to Greece. For about 10 years my friend and I went every year. We loved the islands and did Thassos, Keffalonia, Rhodes, Symi (twice) Corfu (twice) and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. I just love the countryside, the people, the food.........you lucky girl.
    My eldest (adopted) son Is half Greek, which accounts fir his good looks and dramatic temperament.

Is there any reason that you save up the money in an account before paying the card off? Wouldn't it be better to pay the card off gradually as and when you get any spare money, then you would also be saving on the interest you are paying. Anyway, you are doing extremely well and will soon have the first card paid off. What a load that will be off your mind.
    Did you dream when you wrote that first post that you would have paid the first card off so quickly. There is no stopping you when you put your mind to it, is there.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 1st Sep 18, 7:45 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    hiya b17c hows it going?
    im exhausted by your work hours .. wish I had the energy to do the same, my debts would be paid off by Christmas!!
    hope you aren't working yourself too hard

S xx
    dec gc epic fail!/150 ..jan 140/160 ..feb gc 90/150
    mar 100/120 apr 85/120
    wading through the treacle of life!
    • Lifeofdreams
    • By Lifeofdreams 2nd Sep 18, 5:45 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    Lifeofdreams
    Subscribed
    Hello

I have subscribed to your thread. I am trying to pay remainder of mortgage off and there are some great tips on here. Good luck with your journey😄
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 4th Sep 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    curlytop12
    I'm finding your thread really inspiring, have subscribed, thank you
    • B17c
    • By B17c 17th Nov 18, 1:53 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while, life got in the way!
    Greece was lovely, seems like a distant memory now though...
    I'm no further on in my journey than I was when I last posted, but I'm not any further into debt either, started up with the overtime again and am hoping to do another shift if not 2 a week up until Xmas! Which means I can do my pay £500 into another account thingy I was doing before.
    I've only been back 3 weeks so I'm fairly broke again so I'm picking up the 'once a month online grocery shop' habit again, or am thinking of being really good and just living on bread and butter for most of December!
    I've had to buy a plane and train ticket to visit my mum for Xmas and will need to buy 3 presents (parents and grandmother) but I plan on cashflowing those with money I've saved from groceries and overtime.

Monnagran and JackieO how are you? And everyone else who has followed or subscribed? Sorry again for being so quiet!

Monnagran Rhodes is where my friends/family are, I love Rhodes and Symi...! My plan when I've paid off my debt is to live part of the year there and part here... obviously it depends on what happens with Brexit... I have a UK passport (I'm not Greek myself, no dual citizenship) but that is my plan. I hope it's possible.

So, plans for December:
    Overtime
    Sell stuff on eBay possibly
    Reduce grocery bill drastically
    Walk to work where possible to half Oyster spend (travelcard)
    No unnecessary spendage (no brainer but it soon racks up if you forget to take your lunch to work and have to buy a sandwich etc)

Any other hints tips or tricks for me??
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • B17c
    • By B17c 17th Nov 18, 1:54 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Thank you Curlytop and Lifeofdreams!
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • B17c
    • By B17c 17th Nov 18, 1:59 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Hi tired with twins! I am exhausted! My thyroid doesn't work properly either which makes me more tired/fatigued than most people, though I imagine twinnies are up there too!
    The only reason I do night shifts is because I get about £2.50 more an hour than the day shift people! Deffo trying to lay the foundations in December so I can go into a new year strong... wouldn't it be amazeballs if I could pay off my debt in 1 year???
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Nov 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    B17c, Hi there. You have been a busy little bee! I do envy you your trips to Greece, it is certainly my spiritual home.

You have done very well to not have added to your debt. It's just getting through until Christmas now.
    If I do have any advice it's PLAN, PLAN, PLAN.

Plan your meals. Plan your packed lunches so NO having to buy stuff. Plan your budget down to the last penny.

One thing that I had to do for a while was to put a fiver into a sealed envelope, only to be opened in dire emergency, and leave your purse at home when you go out - to work or anywhere when you don't want to spend money.

Also use any spare pennies to pay off the card, forget the special account, get it straight to where it needs to be.

So sorry to hear that you have thyroid problems. I think I have low thyroid activity but not low enough to require medical support. My mother always said that I was the only child she knew who actually asked to go to bed.
    It does make life a struggle when everything you do requires a huge effort of will and strength.

I am still in the midst of selling and buying a house. I have high hopes of moving before Christmas, but who knows.
    • B17c
    • By B17c 24th Nov 18, 1:13 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Hi Monnagran! Ooh where are you moving too?? That would be good if you could get it done and dusted before Christmas!
    Yes, hypothyroidism is a pain in the bum, my levels are not bad enough to be given thyroxine unfortunately as I still have the symptoms but no relief! My mum says every women on her side of the family had underactive thyroid so I guess it was inevitable!

I have paid £100 extra each on 2 of my cards so far, and had a text this morning from Aqua to say they have reduced my minimum payment for this month (by £89!) so will pay that £89 off another card!

No food budget this month as I have plenty in the cupboard and freezer drawer to work through, I've allowed £5 for bread and milk for the month.
    I'll get paid again around 20th December so not too long to go, I'm trying to do overtime at work as much as I can because we all know January is a looooooonnnngggggg month and I still want to pay extra of my credit cards in jan.
    I'm still trying to think of extra side hustle ideas that can be done around night shifts... I was thinking a little cleaning job I could go to straight after my shift ends and before I go to bed but would have to be very local... and possibly cash in hand as the extra tax might make it not worth it...

Surveys I've tried but don't have the time or patience for so little payout... I was thinking matched betting. I've got stuff listed on eBay, I'd STILL like to do a carboot sale but no one to do it with...
    Anyhoo, I'm glad I've made 2 extra payments and I'm looking to make 2 more later on in the month!
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 24th Nov 18, 4:09 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Personally, I think I would steer clear of any form of betting - it doesn't sound a very good idea to me. After all, all those companies are offering beting/bingo/gambling because of the money they can make from it - and who are they getting all that money from?

I can't be bothered with surveys and things either.

It sounds to me that you have reached the boring bit of paying off debts. Its tedious, because you have to tighten the pursestrings and you can't do very much, and the debts go down soooo slowly. However, you will get there - honest you will!

If its any help, I used to make sandwiches and freeze them in rounds. I was working during the day, but it saved a lot of time first thing in the morning when I was racing to get out of the door. Ditto with cake - I would bake a cake, cut it into portions and freeze them individually.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 25th Nov 18, 6:38 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 55,398 Thanks
    monnagran
    B17c, That's a good idea of CapricornLass. Make your sandwiches for the week and freeze them. Justvrememer to take them out of the freezer every day.

If you have the energy, a little cleaning job sounds like a good idea but don't wear yourself out. It maybe a bit too hard after a busy shift at work.

Wow! to Aqua reducing the minimum payment but I would go on paying as much as possible on that card. I thought that the plan was to pay the minimum payment on all the cards and all the extra to pay off one card at a time. I thought that Aqua was the card you were throwing all the money you could at so that it would be paid off and finished with and then you could choose another card to get paid down.

I'm probably confused. It's quite easy to confuse me.

Surveys take ages to do for very little money, I wouldn't bother unless you have acres of spare time. Forget car boots until the better weather comes, they are not going to make a fortune but useful to pay small amounts off.

Saving money by not spending it is slow but sure and you will get there in the end. Remember that every pound off is a pound less to worry about. And odd pounds soon build up.

Keep on keeping on.

BTW, I am only moving a few miles away, still on my beautiful island. Just downsizing from a large 4 B edroomed house to a small, boring but practical 2 bedroom bungalow nearer civilisation. Living in a village when you have given up driving is more than a bit tiresome.
    Last edited by monnagran; 25-11-2018 at 6:42 AM.
    • B17c
    • By B17c 26th Nov 18, 5:21 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    B17c
    Thanks CapricornLass, that's a great idea about the sarnies! Any tips on what fillings freeze the best?? I'm doing lots of overtime at work at the mo but I want to do something else just to boost my income, if only for a few months, has to fit around night shifts though!

Morning GrannyMonna, it was because I'd made an extra payment this month to aqua so they lowered this months minimum repayment, I've not decided whether to snowball or avalanche yet, I'm just making extra payments to all of them when I can to get the minimum payments to a manageable level, Crapitall one have increased my min monthly payment by £60!
    My dad and nan have very kindly paid £500 into my account for Xmas so this will be put towards credit cards
    14/12/18 27/12/18
    #126 £1900/£12526
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,721Posts Today

5,103Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin