Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B17c
    • By B17c 9th Jun 18, 7:19 AM
    • 297Posts
    • 1,630Thanks
    B17c
    Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker
    • 9th Jun 18, 7:19 AM
    Tips to save money to pay debt off quicker 9th Jun 18 at 7:19 AM
    Hi all, I’m currently £11k in debt, enough is enough, I need to get rid once and for all.
    I’m not in dire straits, still managing to pay my rent, bills, minimum payments but it’s tight and there’s no real ‘spare money’ at the end of the month. I’m after tips and ideas on how to cut back/save money/make money to clear the debt quicker...

Things I’ve thought of are:
    Eating through any stores in my cupboards
    Doing a carboot sale or selling on eBay as I do actually have quite a lot of stuff I could get rid of.. I really want to do a carboot sale but I don’t drive so need to find someone that would do one with me
    Buying ‘own brand’ or ‘basics’ food
    Cancelling my gym membership
    Walking to work instead of getting the bus

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

I work nights so could pick up an extra shift as overtime but a 2nd job isn’t feasible
    I rent with 2 other flatmate’s so would have to speak to them regarding bills/utilities
    Credit Card Debt: £11,000
    Capital One: £2900
    Aqua: £2900
    Marbles: £2700
    Tesco: £2500
Page 5
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 54,139 Thanks
    monnagran
    B17c WOW, that's a sizeable chunk off the Aqua card and now that you have enough euros for the trip, anything else that comes in from selling stuff can knock a bit off as well. At this rate you will have that Aqua card paid off before Christmas. That is amazing.

Think, How come the electric bill is so much in a heatwave? I could understand it if it was really cold and the heating was on, but it seems weird to have such a high bill in this weather. Did they give you any idea of why it was suddenly so much more?

Sorry about the unscheduled change to your user name T I n k . My tablet is a law unto itself.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Wow that is great about your tax rebate!

I don't know Monnagran! We pay £52 a month for the elec - I just assumed as we were now in a house not a flat it was just the extra cost incurred? We have had too but no idea? We have a smart meter but not really sure how to use it to be fair!
    1p savings challenge 2018
    £2 savings challenge
    • B17c
    • By B17c 11th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    B17c
    Morning all... sorrry I've been quiet, I've been working A LOT over the past week, not long home from a 12 hour night shift.. need to sleeeepp!
    Waiting for my rebate to clear so I can put it towards my aqua card... will hopefully get a fatter pay check too with all this overtime but that won't be til around the 25th...
    My friend rang me this morning about the chaperone work, the family are coming over end of July for 6 weeks... it's normally long days eg 9am til 9pm but I can't fit that around work. I've asked her to check with them if I can do 9 til 6, though it would still mean 4 days a week with barely any sleep, if any. Though it's very well paid and I'm thinking 6 weeks of little sleep is worth it for nearly 5K!
    I'm off to sleep now, last shift in tonight then 3 days off!
    Plan for my 3 days off:
    Batch cook
    List items on eBay
    Sort out carboot stuff
    Plan grocery shop, I've 14 weeks to fit into a bikini so I think slimming world is going to be on the cards again!!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi - your doing really well!
    The money sounds good but make sure it's do able as your health is very important. Have you thought about using some annual leave on your normal job in order to make taking the 2nd job easier as it's only short term?
    Think about the tax too as that jump in wage and effect your tax code etc!

Tink
    1p savings challenge 2018
    £2 savings challenge
    • B17c
    • By B17c 15th Jul 18, 12:58 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    B17c
    Thanks Tink! It was private work, cash in hand but it's not happening now I've been told, gutted as the money would've helped so much!
    Not much new to report, waiting on pay day... I joined slimming world again, need to make sure the extra hours I did last week have been put in the system...
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 54,139 Thanks
    monnagran
    Sorry, not been around for a bit owing to more than the usual mayhem going on.

What a bummer about the job B17c. Still, if you can do extra hours on your normal job it will help with getting extra to whittle down the Aqua card.

How are you surviving the heatwave? I has made me not so hungry so I am taking the opportunity to knock a bit of weight off. It's a bit like getting debt down only in pounds and ounces instead of pounds and pence.
    Good luck with Slimming World. People swear by it but I have tried it twice and put weight ON each time. I must have tried every diet going and every slimming club in existence since 1955 and none of them have worked brilliantly.
    However, I have just read The Overfed Head, purchased at great expense, and it makes perfect sense. I have lost 4 lbs almost painlessly in just over a week. Unheard of in my lifetime. Of course, the hot weather helps.

Keep plugging on. You'll get there.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 21st Jul 18, 2:00 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 54,139 Thanks
    monnagran
    How's it going B17c? We're heading towards the end of another month and I'm wondering how your saving is coming along and if you will soon be able to slim your debt on the Aqua card as much as you will hopefully be losing at Fat Club.

Have you still got the hot weather? People on the forum keep reporting heavy rain storms. Lucky them. We've not seen a drop of rain for weeks.
    • B17c
    • By B17c 6th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    B17c
    Hi Monnagran! Sorry for the lack of posts, I've been doing a lot of over time at work, haven't really managed to do anything more to make money eg carboot sale still hasn't gone ahead...
    I've lost half a stone at slimming world!
    This probably wasn't the best way to go about it but I've increased my overdraft amount slightly and am taking £500 a month if I can manage it and putting it into another account, then when I have a chunk I'm planning on paying it off the card with the smallest balance to get that gone, then on to the next etc... I only pay £6 a month for my overdraft and I pay much more than that on credit cards so I figured I could have one card paid off in a couple of months by doing it that way... I've got £1000 in there now, and doing a fair bit of overtime this month so will add another £500 to that on 25/8.
    We've had a day of rain but that's it, it's still sooooo hot! Looking forward to autumn so I can get some sleep finally! Greece in 9 weeks so want to have lost another stone if possible!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 54,139 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oooff! Well done on the slimming front. It makes you feel a whole lot better about yourself, doesn't it? Keep it up.

I so envy you going to Greece. For about 10 years my friend and I went every year. We loved the islands and did Thassos, Keffalonia, Rhodes, Symi (twice) Corfu (twice) and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. I just love the countryside, the people, the food.........you lucky girl.
    My eldest (adopted) son Is half Greek, which accounts fir his good looks and dramatic temperament.

Is there any reason that you save up the money in an account before paying the card off? Wouldn't it be better to pay the card off gradually as and when you get any spare money, then you would also be saving on the interest you are paying. Anyway, you are doing extremely well and will soon have the first card paid off. What a load that will be off your mind.
    Did you dream when you wrote that first post that you would have paid the first card off so quickly. There is no stopping you when you put your mind to it, is there.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 1st Sep 18, 8:45 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    hiya b17c hows it going?
    im exhausted by your work hours .. wish I had the energy to do the same, my debts would be paid off by Christmas!!
    hope you aren't working yourself too hard

S xx
    oct gc - 190/200
    Nov gc - 155/250

wading through the treacle of life!
    • Lifeofdreams
    • By Lifeofdreams 2nd Sep 18, 6:45 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Lifeofdreams
    Subscribed
    Hello

I have subscribed to your thread. I am trying to pay remainder of mortgage off and there are some great tips on here. Good luck with your journey😄
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 4th Sep 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    curlytop12
    I'm finding your thread really inspiring, have subscribed, thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

3,069Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin