Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tallmarky76
    • By Tallmarky76 8th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Tallmarky76
    NOW broadband and bad providers
    • 8th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    NOW broadband and bad providers 8th Jun 18 at 8:50 PM
    Hi all,

doing a search for a new broaadband provider and have found NOW broadband plus others but i wanted to know what NOW broadband was like and what other service providers i should be avoiding.

Kind regards Mark
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jun 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Jun 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8th Jun 18, 8:53 PM
    I've just moved to Now Fibre BB, and have had no problems at all, either technically or with customer service.

The only issue is that their router is quite basic, and there is no USB port (so cannot connect network storage).

I was previously with Talktalk, and never had any problems with them, either, despite their poor reputation.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jun 18, 8:58 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Jun 18, 8:58 PM
    • 8th Jun 18, 8:58 PM
    I'm with NowTV for BB fibre and can heartily recommend them, the WiFi is a lot better than I was expecting too.
    • frankie
    • By frankie 8th Jun 18, 10:37 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    frankie
    • 8th Jun 18, 10:37 PM
    • 8th Jun 18, 10:37 PM
    I moved from PN ADSL to NOW and it went smooth as silk. I've been with NOW for about 6 weeks and no problems at all, speeds are slightly up on what I was getting with PN.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    • 9th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    I'm with NowTV for BB fibre and can heartily recommend them, the WiFi is a lot better than I was expecting too.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I should have added that I was with Sky for ADSL up until a house move for 10 years and never had a problem with them, the only reason I moved to NowTV was price (20 for UL fibre which Sky couldn't come near). Before that I was with BT and never had an issue either.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Jun 18, 9:34 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Jun 18, 9:34 AM
    • 9th Jun 18, 9:34 AM
    Sky is very good.

And NOW is part of Sky
    • Tallmarky76
    • By Tallmarky76 10th Jun 18, 9:13 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tallmarky76
    • 10th Jun 18, 9:13 AM
    • 10th Jun 18, 9:13 AM
    Thank you all for your responses and like one of you im with sky at the moment but am looking to move purely because of their prices.
    I think when the time comes in august to give sky my notice to leave i will move to NOW broadband.

Thank you all once again Mark
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Jun 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 10th Jun 18, 9:38 AM
    • 10th Jun 18, 9:38 AM
    sky are quite good on retention deals.

just go on their website near the time.

press a few buttons, like I'm thinking of leaving.
    because of the price. And it should offer you a deal.

don't need to talk to anyone
    Last edited by AndyPK; 10-06-2018 at 9:42 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jun 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 10th Jun 18, 10:24 AM
    • 10th Jun 18, 10:24 AM
    sky are quite good on retention deals.

just go on their website near the time.

press a few buttons, like I'm thinking of leaving.
    because of the price. And it should offer you a deal.

don't need to talk to anyone
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    They certainly weren't with BB for myself a month or two ago. That said there is someone on the Sky TV retention deals thread that's just got a really decent deal off them so perhaps they're having one of their periodic swings.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jun 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thank you all for your responses and like one of you im with sky at the moment but am looking to move purely because of their prices.
    I think when the time comes in august to give sky my notice to leave i will move to NOW broadband.

Thank you all once again Mark
    Originally posted by Tallmarky76
    Check the deals at the time obviously as they come and go for all suppliers.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 8th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Space Captain
    I have signed up with Now Broadband as my Sky deal is ending in a few weeks. Sky wouldn't go any cheaper than 19 line rental and 10 ADSL.
    Now has a summer offer on ADSL of 15 a month which includes line rental and Quidco are offering 65 cashback on top.

I could have got fibre but maybe next year. I get approx 16 Mbps download with Sky at the moment and I would expect similar from Now. The Now Hub 2 looks good as well but only 2 ethernet ports so I'll have to get a Gigabit switch attached to it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    The Now Hub 2 looks good as well but only 2 ethernet ports so I'll have to get a Gigabit switch attached to it.
    Originally posted by Space Captain
    That's the Sky Q router with a different logo, I've had it for the last 3 or 4 months and it's decent.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Aug 18, 8:50 AM
    • 7,618 Posts
    • 52,285 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Set up my switch from Sky to NOW BB yesterday - had to get fibre with Now as they didn't offer ADSL for my area. Still cheaper than line rental plus the ADSL I have currently been paying for Sky. Will be interesting to see if we notice any difference in BB speed / performance with fibre.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• tomthered
    • By tomthered 10th Aug 18, 1:14 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    tomthered
    Set up my switch from Sky to NOW BB yesterday - had to get fibre with Now as they didn't offer ADSL for my area. Still cheaper than line rental plus the ADSL I have currently been paying for Sky. Will be interesting to see if we notice any difference in BB speed / performance with fibre.
    Originally posted by kerri gt

Hope you went through Quidco or Topcashback first?
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    anactuary
    NOW take the monthly payments by card rather than direct debit. Not sure if that's a real issue, but it put me off a bit.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Aug 18, 9:57 AM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    NOW take the monthly payments by card rather than direct debit. Not sure if that's a real issue, but it put me off a bit.
    Originally posted by anactuary
    I found that the disadvantage of that is that when your Bank changes your card number, your payment fails and you don't even know about it until Now TV complains. With DD it would be automatic (and less common).
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    anactuary
    I found that the disadvantage of that is that when your Bank changes your card number, your payment fails and you don't even know about it until Now TV complains. With DD it would be automatic (and less common).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I was thinking more about the end of the term when, if you don't owe anything, you can cancel the direct debit to stop them taking a month's advance charge and refunding it weeks later. Not so easy with a continuous charge on a card - still doable (I think), but probably needs a call rather than a click.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    takman
    I've just moved to Now Fibre BB, and have had no problems at all, either technically or with customer service.

The only issue is that their router is quite basic, and there is no USB port (so cannot connect network storage).

I was previously with Talktalk, and never had any problems with them, either, despite their poor reputation.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    You wouldn't want to connect storage that way anyway because almost all routers that do only have slow USB 2.0 ports.
    Your much better using a NAS drive which you can connect via Ethernet.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Aug 18, 10:19 AM
    • 11,072 Posts
    • 11,699 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    You wouldn't want to connect storage that way anyway because almost all routers that do only have slow USB 2.0 ports.
    Your much better using a NAS drive which you can connect via Ethernet.
    Originally posted by takman
    I don't run big backups to it, only small background incrementals. I don't stream video, either.

It's fine for that kind of usage.

• deutsch
    • By deutsch 13th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    deutsch
    wanted to find a thread to post my NOW experieince. this is after moving from BT and their price rises.

quick delivery
    smooth transition from BT on the day

good speed paying 36mb, getting 39mb

poor / slightly weak router / wifi

in terms of the NOW router though, i've rerouted all traffic to my BT smart hub. took me a few hours and trial and error (reading all sorts online guides). unfortunately, the BT smart hub doesn't work with NOW fibre, so it now acts as switch / access point. i've turned the NOW router wifi off (all this needs an additional power plug and ethernet cable and using the smart hub wifi).
    Last edited by deutsch; 13-08-2018 at 6:48 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,468Posts Today

6,981Users online

Martin's Twitter