IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal 'letter of claim'

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marknopark wrote: »
    Yes there was an information sheet, reply form and income and expenditure form.
    Then item number 11 in your requirements list is superfluous, isn't it?
  • marknopark
    marknopark Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    It is, thanks for spotting that
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • marknopark
    Options
    Hi all, sorry to bump an old post but I have now received a claim form from Northampton county court and not sure how I proceed now. Any help appreciated
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Doesn't the claim form tell you what to do? If you go here, you will find all the answers (except you don't start a new thread as you have one -this one - running) and there is even a walkthrough with pictures.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 July 2018 at 2:22PM
    Options
    the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread post #2 tells you what to do, especially the BARGEPOLE walkthrough (have you not read it ?) - it also gives you a timeline

so do the AOS online (and nothing else), then start drafting your DEFENCE based on others

also, drop a SAR bomb on them if you dont have all they have on you, using the new free GDPR powers (as detailed in the GDPR 2018 thread by coupon mad)

also edit post #1 and any other posts to remove the idea of who parked there etc, the DRIVER parked on the day , the KEEPER has received the subsequent letters

WHO is the PPC involved with B W LEGAL ?
  • marknopark
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread post #2 tells you what to do, especially the BARGEPOLE walkthrough (have you not read it ?) - it also gives you a timeline

so do the AOS online (and nothing else), then start drafting your DEFENCE based on others

also, drop a SAR bomb on them if you dont have all they have on you, using the new free GDPR powers (as detailed in the GDPR 2018 thread by coupon mad)

also edit post #1 and any other posts to remove the idea of who parked there etc, the DRIVER parked on the day , the KEEPER has received the subsequent letters

WHO is the PPC involved with B W LEGAL ?

The PPC is Countrywide Parking Management limited
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    Options
    The PPC is Countrywide Parking Management limited

http://www.parkingappeals.info/companydata/Countrywide_Parking_Management.html

Looks like BWL are starting to pick up some of the small-fry, no idea operators and offering them some roboclaim opportunities.

Like Parking Charge Limited in a couple of threads today, Countrywide have no previous record of issuing MCOL proceedings.

They obviously haven't done a due diligence check on BWL and seen the foul ups they've made previously in pursuing PCNs. It's notable that their big customers (Excel and VCS) are starting to do their own claims, with BWL seeming to be increasingly cut out of the picture.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • marknopark
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »

Looks like BWL are starting to pick up some of the small-fry, no idea operators and offering them some roboclaim opportunities.

Like Parking Charge Limited in a couple of threads today, Countrywide have no previous record of issuing MCOL proceedings.

They obviously haven't done a due diligence check on BWL and seen the foul ups they've made previously in pursuing PCNs. It's notable that their big customers (Excel and VCS) are starting to do their own claims, with BWL seeming to be increasingly cut out of the picture.

Thanks for your help, I have just completed the acknowledgment of service using the guide in the newbies thread.

I assume now is when I will begin to draft my defense, to be honest this is the bit I have been most confused/apprehensive over so any and all input would be appreciated. Based on the info in my earlier posts what is the best lines for defense?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    Options
    Based on the info in my earlier posts what is the best lines for defense?
    You haven't really given much info about the important issues like:

Was the Notice to Keeper PoFA compliant?

What does the signage say at the location? Is it 'contractual', 'permit only' or 'prohibitive'? Do you have your own photos of it? Do you have your own site map with the location of each sign shown on it? Was there a sign in close proximity to where your vehicle was parked? Do you have a photo of the parking spot showing no sign in proximity?

You have to challenge their landowner authorisation to issue charges and whether that authorisation allows them to pursue through the courts?

You need to do some forum searches on 'BWL Residential Defence' to find other similar (but won't be exactly the same) recent cases with well developed defences from which you can copy and paste sections.

Doesn't the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 link to a residential defence? Have a look.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport