Mbna. Can I Cancel?

Hi there, I've applied for an mbna balance transfer card, all accepted fine. I've missed a call today and need to call then back, no card or transfers completed at this time.

I've just been reading the reviews on trust pilot and it makes grave reading (should have checked before I know, won't be making that mistake again).

As no account has been confirmed open yet, can I just cancel and go with a company with a more positive rating?

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes but why bother to cancel now.
    You haven't given them a chance and a search on your credit files to boot.

Phone them and see what they want... if you are still not happy then quit them.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Under FCA regulations, you can cancel within a 14-day cooling-off period:

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/11/1.html

However, MBNA are known for offering decent credit limits and you may find that if you go somewhere else with better reviews on Trustpilot, you won't be offered a comparable deal, so don't be swayed too heavily by what you read on there....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    MBNA are one of the better providers overall, so think carefully where you go to next if you decide they're not good enough.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Yes of course you can cancel. I would point out though that if you did request a balance transfer at the time of application and for any reason it has already gone through, you will have to fully repay it before you can cancel the card and any fee that you have paid will not be refunded.
    What specifically do you believe to be wrong with MNBA? Could you perhaps elaborate? Also which other company do you now plan to go with instead and why do you believe this other company will be better?
  • TrustPilot is full of negative reviews.

People rarely comment or leave reviews for positive reasons as they like to vent.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    All financial service providers get bad reviews.
    Usually these are from people who get into arrears, miss payments etc.
    As long as you set up a direct debit, make your minimum payments you shouldn!!!8217;t have a problem with them.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    MBNA are one of the better providers overall, so think carefully where you go to next if you decide they're not good enough.
    Agreed. We've been with them for years and always found them to be efficient and polite at handling queries and we always have both money and balance transfers available.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Steppy1234
    Steppy1234 Posts: 51 Forumite
    It's purely the reviews that have put me off. But taking on board what's been said, I'll give them the chance and see how I get on. Thanks everyone.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You have already had the hard search on your credit report so may as well have the card.

As long as you follow MBNA rules and don't be late or miss payments.... they seem to be a good provider.

Most people head to Trust Pilot to complain rather than praise and as mentioned... these people tend to complain when they have been in the wrong and want to take it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure