Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • New Star
    • By New Star 6th Jun 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    New Star
    Finding a debt purchase company
    • 6th Jun 18, 5:57 PM
    Finding a debt purchase company 6th Jun 18 at 5:57 PM
    Hi. I have someone who owes me 9,500. There is a CCJ against her dated 1st Feb 2018. And although she promises and promises she never comes up with the money. She is currently not working, doesn't own her own car or home and claims to have no saving etc. I am so sick of trying to get something from her that I am thinking of selling this debt on. Does anyone know of a good Debt Purchase Company who might be interested in buying this kind of individual, one-off debt from me?
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • Blackadr
    • By Blackadr 6th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blackadr
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    Same problem here
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    I have the exact same problem though am only(!) owed 2000. I have been chasing payment for 18 months now but would love to sell the debt and not have the hassle/anxiety even if only for 10p in the pound. All the companies I have spoken to only deal with larger portfolios and are not interested in individual debts. The CCJ is next to useless because my guy is an old hand at dodging his debts (is a benefit pro, leases his car, owns nothing of value, never lets bailiffs in, uses family members to hold his money, changes bank account regularly) Yet I know he can afford to repay me (e.g. he just got back from a trip to the US!). It seems to me society is very much on the side of the debtor and the only tools available to creditors are next to useless. It's effectively sanctioned theft.

Please post if you do find a buyer - I'll do the same.
    • paulbrighton2018
    • By paulbrighton2018 11th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    paulbrighton2018
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    If that person had run up that large a debt, must have had some intention to pay back, or just rip you off..

Have you considered taking to high court, for bailiff recovery? May get repayment plan, more than selling on (if any firm would touch it..)
    formerly known as skintpaul.
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 12th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    bailiffs are good for payment plans to use removal of goods as leverage. but, if no assets like OP suggests, probably fruitless and expensive to do so...

2 options:
    1) you could apply to the court to make an attachment of earnings order - you can advise them you'll be doing this, may make them pay
    check https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/718846/ex323-eng.pdf

2) you could file to make them bankrupt - yes it will cost you money, but the threat of this may get the to cough up payments. more info here:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-bankrupt-someone

good luck
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 14,867 Posts
    • 13,958 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    I very much doubt Lowell or their ilk, will buy a single account from anyone.

Bad debt is bought in bulk you see, many thousands of portfolios at a time, one account would not be worth there while.

You would be better served applying to the high court (assuming the debt is not regulated by the CCA) and getting HCEOs to attend there address, costs are from around 66.

They have the best chance of getting your money back.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 32,305 Posts
    • 20,315 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    Hi. I have someone who owes me 9,500. There is a CCJ against her dated 1st Feb 2018. And although she promises and promises she never comes up with the money. She is currently not working, doesn't own her own car or home and claims to have no saving etc. I am so sick of trying to get something from her that I am thinking of selling this debt on. Does anyone know of a good Debt Purchase Company who might be interested in buying this kind of individual, one-off debt from me?
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by New Star
    Soyou lent her 9,500, why would you lend a friend that amount of money. Its madness.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,544Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin