Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nessienoo888
    • By Nessienoo888 4th Jun 18, 7:16 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nessienoo888
    Charging your 18 year old rent
    • 4th Jun 18, 7:16 AM
    Charging your 18 year old rent 4th Jun 18 at 7:16 AM
    My daughter has recently turned 18 and just finishing college. Her boyfriend whoís the same age, also lives with us and has done for almost 2 years. I also have a 15 year old son.

I receive maintenance from the childrenís dad but this will stop on my daughters side of things soon. She also has a part time job. So does her boyfriend.

My daughter is going to university but will be staying at home. She will receive the maintenance that I received from her dad to help her with car and other costs. She has also applied for a student maintenance loan. So all in all she will have a fair amount of money coming in her bank. She is willing to pay rent but I just canít decide how much. Bills are fairly high and I still have a mortgage.. how much is fair? Iíll be losing both hers and her boyfriends child benefit but I pay her boyfriends child benefit back to him. Do I suggest to charge both my daughter and boyfriend. Hopefully once finished college he will get an apprenticeship in software development in London.

Itís a really hard decision but I feel it will teach them the cost of living plus how to manage their finances.

Anyoneís experiences will be appreciated.

Thank you !!!128591;
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 4th Jun 18, 11:06 AM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 9,432 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 4th Jun 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4th Jun 18, 11:06 AM
    Starting point is how much could you let the room for to a lodger / how much would your daughter have to pay to lodge somewhere else?

Then probably negotiate around 2/3rds of that.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 4th Jun 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 4th Jun 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4th Jun 18, 11:12 AM
    Go for 65% of market rate of the room
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 4th Jun 18, 3:24 PM
    • 37,561 Posts
    • 158,087 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 4th Jun 18, 3:24 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 3:24 PM
    Many threads on the main marriage, family etc board discussing this.

Answers vary between charge nothing as why do you want to profit from your children to charge them full lodger rate so they understand the meaning of money.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    • 20,233 Posts
    • 33,537 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 4th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 10:05 PM
    How much maintenance loan will she receive? My son is the same age, finishing college soon and hopefully going to Uni. He will get the min loan due to our household income. We are paying my son's accommodation costs for him. If he were to live at home I wouldn't charge him due to his smaller loan. If he was to receive a larger loan though, then yes I would charge. The boyfriend should also contribute once he finishes college.
    • Robots
    • By Robots 23rd Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Robots
    • 23rd Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    It's really down to how good or bad your finances are - can you afford to fully support her? If not, then you should ask her to pay board. If you can afford it, then it may be a good idea for you to help her out by not asking for board.

I had to pay board to my mother which accounted for about 40% of my income at the time - she couldn't afford to keep me (as an adult) so I think it was fair.
    Veteran gamer and clean freak
    • DrivingMissDaisy
    • By DrivingMissDaisy 9th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    DrivingMissDaisy
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    Charge both her and her bf the maintenance amount you used to receive.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    I would charge but I would take half and put it into savings for her/them.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 19th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 19th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 19th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    I would charge but I would take half and put it into savings for her/them.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Why do people suggest this? Are they not capable of saving themselves?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 19th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    HampshireH
    If you have been giving the boyfriend his Child Benefit back to him are you 100% paying for his living costs for the last 2 years?

He is a very lucky young man to have such support.

I would charge them the going rate for a room in your area (between them) leave it to them to decide what % each of them pays. I.e. who earns more pays more.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 19th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Her income is a loan, which she has to pay back, so it seems unfair to treat this as a 'cash-cow'. Your financial difficulties are not your children's problem (sorry if this sounds a bit harsh). If you must charge her, it should be just a token amount.
    When England was a Kingdom we had a King, when we were an empire we had an emperor. Now we're a country and we have Margaret Thatcher

the late great Kenny Everett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin