Business car insurance for little driver

Hello,
I am looking into buying a company car, and I am shocked at home much the insurance is compared to private car insurances. To my understanding, insurers think company cars are used way more, so I am in the same league as traveling salesmen, for example. But I won't drive nearly as much: I run an online magazine for dogs! I need the car to transport dogs every now and then (I volunteer for two charities) and go to the countryside to cover stories.

What is the community's opinion? I don't want to buy the car as private for tax reasons.
Thank you very much for your help!

Comments

• Chickenlips
    Chickenlips Posts: 150
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm confused as to why your company doesn't have a fleet policy?

Had I had to insure my company car I would most certainly have taken the cash allowance instead. I found the amount on my P11D was excessive, so I lost out on tax. If I would have been responsible for insurance too... I would have been quite poor!

My new company only do the cash allowance. As I technically had no no claims bonus (due to the fleet policy), my first year of cover was £1,100.

I went through a broker and suggest you do the same. I used A-plan who were able to find a suitable policy. Quotes I was getting in general searches exceeded £1,500 for one year!
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Hello,
    I am looking into buying a company car, and I am shocked at home much the insurance is compared to private car insurances. To my understanding, insurers think company cars are used way more, so I am in the same league as traveling salesmen, for example. But I won't drive nearly as much: I run an online magazine for dogs! I need the car to transport dogs every now and then (I volunteer for two charities) and go to the countryside to cover stories. ...

You have a limited company whose business consists of a running a website for dog owners?

Do these charities pay mileage?
    What is the community's opinion? I don't want to buy the car as private for tax reasons.
    Thank you very much for your help!

What tax reasons do you have in mind?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you already have a private car? If so I'm sure it will be much more cost effective to just add appropriate business cover to your current insurance rather than buy another vehicly solely for business use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure