Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • todayisagreatday
    • By todayisagreatday 2nd Jun 18, 11:37 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 75Thanks
    todayisagreatday
    Woodburner - Conifer
    • 2nd Jun 18, 11:37 PM
    Woodburner - Conifer 2nd Jun 18 at 11:37 PM
    Hi, I have cut down a large number of conifer trees and was wondering if anyone had used these in their woodburner. I have a multi-fuel stove and am planning to log them and season them for at least 12 months as we already have plenty to keep us going through winter, but then I've read a mixture of comments that range from fine if they have been seasoned well, though they will burn quite quickly to other people that say the resin content is high and even after seasoning them shouldn't be used.

Anyone offer any opinions?
Page 2
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Jun 18, 8:18 AM
    • 27,384 Posts
    • 13,402 Thanks
    Cardew

Dragging this almost back on topic, I bought some firewood in France a couple of years ago and it was measured in cords.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

A cord - or half cord - is still the standard method for purchasing firewood in the USA. I always understood it to be 4'x4'x8', but Wikipedia is more precise!

The cord is a unit of measure of dry volume used to measure firewood and pulpwood in the United States and Canada.
    A cord is the amount of wood that, when "racked and well stowed" (arranged so pieces are aligned, parallel, touching and compact), occupies a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.62 m3).[1] This corresponds to a well-stacked woodpile 4 feet (122 cm) high, 8 feet (244 cm) long, and 4 feet (122 cm) deep; or any other arrangement of linear measurements that yields the same volume.
    The name cord probably comes from the use of a cord or string to measure it.[2]
    Cord-foot was a US unit of volume for stacked firewood, four feet long, four feet wide and one foot high - equal to one eighth of a cord.[3] Symbol for the unit was cd-ft.[4]
    It is still a better system than UK where a 'trailer load' or '1 ton bag' seems to be standard.

So what dimensions has a 'French cord'?

P.S.
    To get right back on track, the vast majority of firewood sold in the USA and Canada(particularly) is conifer.
    Last edited by Cardew; 05-06-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jun 18, 9:36 PM
    • 14,415 Posts
    • 19,324 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    So what dimensions has a 'French cord.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    It's three cubic metres I believe, but it seems to vary depending what size logs you want. There is a smaller measurement called a stere. Three steres to a cord.

Unfortunately, the dealer wouldn't sell anything less than a cord. I was only staying for a fortnight so we had a very, very warm house!

Incidentaly, I was offered a choice of oak or larch. I chose oak as it was only slightly more expensive.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 4th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Kiran
    I've burnt quite a bit of leyllandii, I seasoned it for 2 years, mainly because there was other stuff available and everyone was saying don't burn it. It was absolutely fine, and burnt well. I'm another advocate of debarking it. I don't know if it makes a difference but I had some that cot wet and it fell off and then I realised that the other stuff game off quite easily while I was splitting.

4 60ft trees later and I still have plenty left and a clean flue from what I have seen when sweeping.

Go for it OP
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • mumf
    • By mumf 4th Jul 18, 6:01 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    mumf
    I would normally store wood for at least 24 months. I have had conifer that was only really any good after 36 months.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I have had the same experience.I agree,two years, or better three.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter