Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 26th Oct 07, 2:11 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaims not covered by the FOS
    • 26th Oct 07, 2:11 PM
    PPI Reclaims not covered by the FOS 26th Oct 07 at 2:11 PM
    This thread is specifically for discussing your PPI Reclaiming case if it is not covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

To report your case click post reply

You can take your complaint to the FOS if your lender was regulated by the Financial Services Authority at the time you signed your agreement. This can be checked on the FSA Register.
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-02-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Page 34
    • societys child
    • By societys child 19th Sep 16, 7:18 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 5,771 Thanks
    societys child
    lukemurton

Have I exhausted all avenues? Is the next step Court proceedings?
    Who are you proposing to you take to court and what illegality have they committed?

• WatchMan
    • By WatchMan 19th Sep 16, 8:39 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    WatchMan
    lukemurtonWho are you proposing to you take to court and what illegality have they committed?
    Originally posted by societys child
    Well the who is a problem here - but Financial Insurance Company Limited take responsibility for some of these sales, which would allow lukemurton access to FOS.

Illegality is quite a different matter!
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 19th Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 9,086 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    Santander is an amalgam of different businesses. Some, such as Abbey National and Alliance & Leicester, were members of predecessor schemes to FOS and FOS can look at complaints about them. Others were not and FOS has no jurisdiction.
    • Dennis118118
    • By Dennis118118 8th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dennis118118
    Hi, new to the forum so sorry if this is on the wrong place.... my wife had a line with welcome finance 99 paid off in 2002, they have all the details of the loan except the underwriters (or they have but not telling). Been onto the fos and Fscs they have said as Pre 2004 it's not under their jurisdiction. Don't know what to do now, any suggestions would be gratefully received!
    Thanks in advance!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 92,964 Posts
    • 60,347 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi, new to the forum so sorry if this is on the wrong place.... my wife had a line with welcome finance 99 paid off in 2002, they have all the details of the loan except the underwriters (or they have but not telling). Been onto the fos and Fscs they have said as Pre 2004 it's not under their jurisdiction. Don't know what to do now, any suggestions would be gratefully received!
    Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Dennis118118
    You give up.

It is pre-regulation and the firm does not exist. So, you have no-one to complain to and as regulation did not start until 2005, neither the FOS or the FSCS can step in. Its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • KB44
    • By KB44 22nd Aug 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KB44
    Fee to check?
    Sorry I'm new to this, but I inquired from the lender if I could have my original loan agreement for my mortgage -which is paid off, with a view to claiming if there was PPI. My letter was sent back with a request for a £10 fee. I'd pay it if I thought I'd got some PPI to claim, but I don't know if I have. Should I have asked a different thing in my letter?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Aug 17, 3:11 PM
    • 92,964 Posts
    • 60,347 Thanks
    dunstonh
    but I inquired from the lender if I could have my original loan agreement for my mortgage -which is paid off, with a view to claiming if there was PPI.
    1- Mortgages were not covered under the consumer credit act and did not have an agreement like a personal loan would.
    2 - If you are looking to complain about MPPI, then a mortage contract would be of no use to. MPPI does not appear on it.

My letter was sent back with a request for a £10 fee. I'd pay it if I thought I'd got some PPI to claim, but I don't know if I have. Should I have asked a different thing in my letter?
    Yes. you have made a mistake and wasted £10. MPPI is a standalone product. That is one of the reasons why so many MPPI complaints fail. That is how PPI should have been set up.

You could have just asked the lender if you had MPPI on the mortgage. Free of charge to ask them. They would only know if you did if you used them to arrange the mortgage. If you used a broker/adviser (as most people do) then they would not know what the broker/adviser arranged. You would need to ask the broker/adviser. However, most of those were not regulated until Jan 2005. So, if the sale was before that, they do not have to consider your complaint. And even where they have to, the vast majority of broker/adviser complaints about PPI are rejected (single premium MPPI being the main area there are issues).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • KB44
    • By KB44 22nd Aug 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KB44
    1- Mortgages were not covered under the consumer credit act and did not have an agreement like a personal loan would.
    2 - If you are looking to complain about MPPI, then a mortage contract would be of no use to. MPPI does not appear on it.

Yes. you have made a mistake and wasted £10. MPPI is a standalone product. That is one of the reasons why so many MPPI complaints fail. That is how PPI should have been set up.

You could have just asked the lender if you had MPPI on the mortgage. Free of charge to ask them. They would only know if you did if you used them to arrange the mortgage. If you used a broker/adviser (as most people do) then they would not know what the broker/adviser arranged. You would need to ask the broker/adviser. However, most of those were not regulated until Jan 2005. So, if the sale was before that, they do not have to consider your complaint. And even where they have to, the vast majority of broker/adviser complaints about PPI are rejected (single premium MPPI being the main area there are issues).
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Thanks for your advice!
    • earthan7dor1
    • By earthan7dor1 27th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    earthan7dor1
    All I want is a simple 'yes' or 'no'!
    Well, I've read a plethora of information; gone on forum; told I'm not entitled; found my archived papers (still painful); heartened by a claims company; just read MSE checklist - which indirectly intimates, "I'm IN!". But am I REALLY?

While I'm ready to re-bury my papers, why is my gut feeling still, "I too have a right to Justice, even though I/my claim don't fit stringent pigeon holes".

[Dan Hyde: Your right to justice musn't fade with time.]

So honestly, aware that my issue doesn't convenently tick rigid boxes :

In short, as a single woman, no kin or dependants, and a 15 year repayment Mortgage before; I was mis-sold an NHL (always was Paragon) 'low start' Endowment Mortgage with insurance cover in 1987.

SO much I was never told. I only received papers after moving in,

I was opiniond an "easy killing".

[Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King].
    Last edited by earthan7dor1; 27-01-2018 at 9:01 PM. Reason: quote wrongly written as (in)justice everywhere!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 27th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 17,216 Posts
    • 18,295 Thanks
    zx81
    I have no idea what you're asking.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 27th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    -taff
    There's no PPI on endowment mortgages, and you are years too late to complain about a shortfall.
    Being single has no bearing on being sold an endowment mortgage.

Of course, I may have completely misunderstood your post because it's a bit confusing...

And you've already been answered here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5783279
    • earthan7dor1
    • By earthan7dor1 27th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    earthan7dor1
    I really need an expert answer to my specific issue, yes or no please??
    Having trawled through articles on PPI mis-selling; fetched my papers from archive; tried forums; came close to a claims collection company - who was the only source to mention my lender and 30 year period! But, forgive me I cannot find the specifics I seek among the jargon.

I am on the verge of giving up; re-burying my papers, but frustratingly remain in limbo, because with all that information 'out there; I am none the wiser. Yes, I am articulate thank you.

Even so, there is a stubborn part of me that considers I have an equal right to justice as everyone else - "Your right to justice musn't fade with time" - just because I am not post 2014 or don't fit stringent pigeon-holes or rigid tick boxes.

So, is there anyone who can genuinely state I have a claim to take to FOS, for serious consideration? Negative clever answers need not reply. I need a mustard vanguard, here:

VIZ: In 1987, as a single woman, no kin or dependents, (and had a 15 year repayment mortgage with Anglia Building Society), I was stitched into an NHL Endowment Mortgage (low start) with Insurance. Nothing was ever properly explained at the time, or at all - "just leave it to me". I didn't get paperwork until after I had moved in.

I didn't know enough to ask questions (especially as Anglia was so professional with my first Mortgage).

If I wrote a book, it would get stuck on the fiction shelves, no one could ever believe so much damage by so many to one lone female - I was viewed as an "easy killing".

Isn't hindsight wonderful! I didn't know what was being done to me, a lamb led to the slaughter. Eg, the Broker could have advised a DSS Home Improvement Loan, that would then enable me putting my entire equity (proceeds of sale) to buy the property.

I was given a whole plethora of false information, ie, Anglia wouldn't Mortgage me. My fallibility is I trust all the wrong people; thinking they are a 'good egg'. Is that on the Statute Books as a crime?

In short, I have never recovered, nor got back on my feet again, or financially solvent. Indeed, I am hoping for a positive response, so I can put a roof over my head. I am too old to continue subsisting in my car.

Justice anywhere is a a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 27th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 17,216 Posts
    • 18,295 Thanks
    zx81
    Is there any chance you could ask a simple question, so that perhaps someone could answer yes or no?

Forget the clever narrative, the quotes, the emoticons. Just ask your question.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 20,385 Posts
    • 11,291 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    All I want is a simple yes or no
    Originally posted by earthan7dor1
    No, then. The answer is no.

Now, what's the question?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 27th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 92,964 Posts
    • 60,347 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Am i suffering d!ją vu ?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 28th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,493 Thanks
    -taff
    So, is there anyone who can genuinely state I have a claim to take to FOS, for serious consideration? Negative clever answers need not reply.
    Like it or lump it you have no complaint.

VIZ: In 1987, as a single woman, no kin or dependents, (and had a 15 year repayment mortgage with Anglia Building Society), I was stitched into an NHL Endowment Mortgage (low start) with Insurance.
    This is not a misselling complaint. You chose this type or mortgage.

Nothing was ever properly explained at the time, or at all - "just leave it to me". I didn't get paperwork until after I had moved in.
    Is you compalint you were 'young and naive'?

I didn't know enough to ask questions (especially as Anglia was so professional with my first Mortgage). .
    As you were borrowing a very big chunk of money, asking questions was entirely your responsibility.

I was given a whole plethora of false information, ie, Anglia wouldn't Mortgage me.
    And it was your responsibility to check this information, no-one elses.

I didn't know what was being done to me, a lamb led to the slaughter. Eg, the Broker could have advised......
    A broker sold you this mortgage? You have no-one to complaint to. They weren't regulated until 2005.

In short, I have never recovered, nor got back on my feet again, or financially solvent. Indeed, I am hoping for a positive response, so I can put a roof over my head. I am too old to continue subsisting in my car.
    Suggest you speak to Shelter.
    • Millown
    • By Millown 6th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Millown
    Natwest Reclaim
    New to this forum, but been very successful in recent claims. All of which I will post in the appropriate forum.

I am however having an issue claiming back PPI from a Natwest Card. On the statement dated in 1998 (a copy of which I sent to Natwest), it clearly shows 'Credit Card Repayment Protector' being deducted at a cost of GBP 30.67 per month on a balance of GBP 4120. The team at Natwest are suggesting that this maybe CPP instead. Any tips how I should go forward with this? I would be happy to proceed to the Ombudsman, but only if I am not mistaken in respect of it being PPI and not CPP. I am happy going forward with my case in respect of the mis-selling and of course Plevin ruling.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 17,216 Posts
    • 18,295 Thanks
    zx81
    Write back and tell them it looks like PPI.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 20,385 Posts
    • 11,291 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    On the statement dated in 1998 (a copy of which I sent to Natwest), it clearly shows 'Credit Card Repayment Protector' being deducted at a cost of GBP 30.67 per month on a balance of GBP 4120. The team at Natwest are suggesting that this maybe CPP instead.
    Originally posted by Millown
    Sounds more like an ANNUAL figure for CPP. You have found one statement and ,made an incorrect assumption that this is a monthly PPI payment.
    • Alan Medcalf
    • By Alan Medcalf 9th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alan Medcalf
    PPI Claim against Derby Mortgage Advice Bureau
    My wife had a Mortgage with the Legal and General Insurance Ltd, arranged through Derby Mortgage Advice Bureau, unknown to her there was a PPI Policy raised, even the application form for the Mortgage the section re PPI is blank, Direct Debit payments for this cover is paid to Legal and General, both refuse to accept that it is their problem, passed to the Financial Ombudsman who have responded saying , as the Policy was sold was before 14 January 2005 as this was before businesses selling Insurance were regulated they cannot look at complaints against them, is there any other action we can take, many thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,954Posts Today

8,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin