Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 30th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,746Posts
    • 1,628Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Washing machine - burning smell
    • 30th May 18, 10:27 AM
    Washing machine - burning smell 30th May 18 at 10:27 AM
    I got this new machine on the 2nd April and today there is a strong smell of burning from inside the drum. Itís also started making some strange Ďclickingí type noises when turning. The manufacturers (Hotpoint) have offered to send an engineer to look at it. Could anyone help me understand what my rights are with this? Iíve tried reading on the main site but Iím confused about whether I have 30 days or 6 months and if Iím entitled to a replacement or just a repair.

I bought it from Curryís. Should I really be contacting them instead of Hotpoint?
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 11,246 Posts
    • 8,052 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 30th May 18, 11:36 AM
    Yes, you need to speak to Currys, that's who you have a contract with and subsequently your consumer rights. You have 30 days in which to exrecise your short-term right to reject the item outright but as you've now gone beyond that, the retailer has a single attempt at repairing the machine.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 30th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 30th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 30th May 18, 11:48 AM
    Did you remove the transit bolts?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 11,246 Posts
    • 8,052 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 30th May 18, 11:50 AM
    Originally posted by lammy82
    That was my initial thought but given that he's had, and presumably used, the machine since 2 April I'd suspect it's not that.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 30th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 30th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 30th May 18, 12:07 PM
    Originally posted by lammy82
    It was installed by Curryís Knowhow team. They handed me some bolt type things and said to keep them. Iím guessing they were transit bolts. I hope they arenít important because I threw them out! The machine has worked fine until now.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 30th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 30th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 30th May 18, 12:11 PM
    Hotpoint want to send an engineer this Friday. It doesnít cost anything. Should I let them go ahead or is it best to cancel that and ring Curryís?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 30th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 30th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 30th May 18, 12:22 PM
    It was installed by Curryís Knowhow team. They handed me some bolt type things and said to keep them. Iím guessing they were transit bolts. I hope they arenít important because I threw them out! The machine has worked fine until now.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Er...

You'll be ok without them unless you move house - the bolts go back in to keep everything stable in transit.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • dentedporsche
    • By dentedporsche 30th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    dentedporsche
    • 30th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 30th May 18, 12:29 PM
    Clicking noise and burning smell would suggest a fault with the motor. Either broken carbon brush or damaged segments on the motor. Hotpoint should be able to cure this easily on their visit.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 11,246 Posts
    • 8,052 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 30th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 30th May 18, 12:31 PM
    Hotpoint want to send an engineer this Friday. It doesn!!!8217;t cost anything. Should I let them go ahead or is it best to cancel that and ring Curry!!!8217;s?
    Just let them come, if nothing else they'll be able to diagnose what the fault is. I'd still contact Currys just so they are aware should you subsequently decide you want a refund instead.
    • bris
    • By bris 30th May 18, 4:26 PM
    • 7,729 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    bris
    Just let them come, if nothing else they'll be able to diagnose what the fault is. I'd still contact Currys just so they are aware should you subsequently decide you want a refund instead.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    They are not going to get a refund though anyway it goes, at least not at this stage.

Even if you do cancel the appointment and speak to Currys all they will do is tell you to contact Hotpoint to confirm your fault.

They then have the right to repair it so no point in delaying the repair. If it all goes wrong then you can get in touch with Currys to demand a refund.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 1st Jun 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    The engineer said he couldnít find any faults. He also said itís impossible to have a burning smell inside the drum because Ďthereís water in thereí.

Iím not sure what to do now. Iím scared to keep using it in case it causes a fire. Curryís will probably refuse to exchange it since Hotpoint say it fine. Am I stuck with it? Is there anything I can do?
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 1st Jun 18, 2:17 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Raxiel
    The engineer said he couldnít find any faults. He also said itís impossible to have a burning smell inside the drum because Ďthereís water in thereí.

Iím not sure what to do now. Iím scared to keep using it in case it causes a fire. Curryís will probably refuse to exchange it since Hotpoint say it fine. Am I stuck with it? Is there anything I can do?
    It could possibly be the seals rubbing. Try doing a load with a lower spin speed and see if it's any different.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Iíve managed to narrow it down a bit. It only happens when using the high spin speed but it doesnít happen every single time. Itís just randomly. It doesnít seem to matter if itís a small or large load. Is there anything I can do about this? I donít know how to prove it to Hotpoint or Curryís. Would it still be seen as a fault even though it doesnít happen every time?

Itís just frustrating being unable to use the fast spin in case I end up having to rewash everything because of this burning smell. They also take longer to dry.
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Jul 18, 2:19 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    macman
    You can still reject it under CRA 2015. Up to 6m, the fault can be presumed to have pre-existed (so you don't have to prove the fault). However with an intermittent fault this is tricky, and DSG will do all they can to wriggle out of accepting liability. You need to put it in writing that the fault is still present,and not be fobbed off with further offers to inspect/repair.
    Next time, don't buy from DSG, and don't buy a Hotpoint...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Next time, don't buy from DSG, and don't buy a Hotpoint...
    Originally posted by macman
    Whatís DSG? Is that Curryís?

They are refusing to do anything unless I get an independent report from an engineer confirming the fault. That wonít be practical since itís intermittent. I did mention the consumer rights act but they said it doesnít apply because their engineer checked it and found no fault with it. Is that true?
    • NCC-1707
    • By NCC-1707 6th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    NCC-1707
    Whatís DSG? Is that Curryís?

They are refusing to do anything unless I get an independent report from an engineer confirming the fault. That wonít be practical since itís intermittent. I did mention the consumer rights act but they said it doesnít apply because their engineer checked it and found no fault with it. Is that true?
    See here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixons_Retail
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 4,539 Thanks
    DoaM
    If the seller has inspected the goods and says they cannot find a fault then it falls to the consumer to prove (on the balance of probabilities) that the fault exists. (i.e. the burden of proof switches to the consumer, much the same as if a fault is reported after 6 months).

The (reasonable) cost of such a report would be refundable by the seller as long as it clearly states (in the opinion of the engineer, and on the balance of probabilities) that the fault exists and was inherent (existed at the time of sale but not necessarily apparent).

Therefore what Currys have told you is correct.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 6th Jul 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Er...

You'll be ok without them unless you move house - the bolts go back in to keep everything stable in transit.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

I have moved washing mahcines many times without the bolts. No issue.

I think it's more for initial delivery / mass transit where less care is taken.
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Jul 18, 5:16 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    macman
    But it's still quite bizzare to throw them away after the installers have told you to keep them...
    Most retailers at this point would adopt a more reasonable approach, but Curry's aren't named as the UK's worst retailers for nothing...
    OP can still pursue a claim without invoking CRA 2015, but it's a lot harder and more drawn-out.
    Last edited by macman; 06-07-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

2,769Users online

Martin's Twitter