Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • prash123
    • By prash123 30th May 18, 10:11 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    prash123
    No contact from Energy Supplier - new build flat
    • 30th May 18, 10:11 AM
    No contact from Energy Supplier - new build flat 30th May 18 at 10:11 AM
    I moved into my new build flat on 1st October 2017. Meter readings were taken for water (Thames water) and electricity (Eon). The developer was meant to call and set up the accounts for me but didn't. In January 2018 I called and registered both accounts sending photos of meter readings and meter numbers. I received acknowledgement of receipt of the emails but have not heard anything since. Last month I emailed again to see what the hold up was. Again, I received acknowledgment of emails but no bills/account information have been received via post. I have no idea what tariff I will be on for electricity and usage costs. (Could be on an expensive SVR tariff and wouldn't know!)

Any ideas what to do next? Am I likely to get a shock bill in like a years time which i will be expected to pay in full immediately?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 30th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 30th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 30th May 18, 10:39 AM
    Ring them.

The developer does not set up accounts for you but he should have them in his name.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 30th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 6,841 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 30th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 30th May 18, 10:56 AM
    (Could be on an expensive SVR tariff and wouldn't know!)

Any ideas what to do next? Am I likely to get a shock bill in like a years time which i will be expected to pay in full immediately?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by prash123
    You will be on a Deemed Contract with E.oN which will be its most expensive tariff. A possible reason for the billing delay could be that your Developer has not taken the appropriate action to register your address/meter on The National Database. Call E.oN and raise a complaint. Whilst the problem is sorted, switch to E.ONís cheapest tariff. This may have exit fees.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 30th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 30th May 18, 11:04 AM
    Morning prash123 and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Robin9 and Hengus,

I agree, please do give us a ring, have the meter serial number, meter read from when you moved in and an up to date meter read when you call.

The account may still be under the developers account and we need to get this set up in your name.

You can then look at tariffs and payment arrangements and I would suggest registering your account online as this is the best way to keep everything up to date.

With new builds we do rely on the customer letting us know that they have moved in, it's rare for the developers to do this.

We have a department that deal with account for new builds, so if you give us a call we'll be able to help from there.

Thank you

Helena
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • prash123
    • By prash123 5th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    prash123
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    Eon are saying that there is a mix up with the serial numbers of the meter and the number I have given them isn't the number they have on file. They said it could take months to sort out and that this is a common occurrence with new build flats... Am i right in thinking i can only be back billed for 12 months? Also, surely i am being unfairly disadvantaged by being placed on a high tariff when I could easily have fixed on a much cheaper tariff? Will I be offered some sort of discount when my first bill finally arrives?
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    Eon are saying that there is a mix up with the serial numbers of the meter and the number I have given them isn't the number they have on file. They said it could take months to sort out and that this is a common occurrence with new build flats... Am i right in thinking i can only be back billed for 12 months? Also, surely i am being unfairly disadvantaged by being placed on a high tariff when I could easily have fixed on a much cheaper tariff? Will I be offered some sort of discount when my first bill finally arrives?
    Originally posted by prash123
    Hiya prash123 and thank you for the extra information.

You've done the right thing in speaking to the crossed meter department, they will now work to investigate this and get your account up and billing correctly.

As they have said it can take a while to sort these issues, it depends how many properties are involved and if we need to arrange site visits etc, but yes it can happen especially on new builds.

In answer to your other questions, this is something the crossed meter guys will discuss with you as they're the ones with the full account information.

If we're at fault, then we need to look at offering something to you, although back billing may not apply as no one let us know that you had moved in. It needs to be looked at carefully.

As I say, this needs a full investigation from the crossed meter team, they can then also come to a resolution with you.

Keep in contact with them.

Thank you

Helena
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,157Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin