Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 29th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2,241Posts
    • 14,046Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Doing up the House (and me) while doing away with the Debt
    • 29th May 18, 11:06 AM
    Doing up the House (and me) while doing away with the Debt 29th May 18 at 11:06 AM
    So my first thread was all about finding myself in a really depressing state and the mammoth journey to get out of it. It worked but after an absence I came back with a thread to wake myself up, stop being pushed about and start thinking about making the most of my life.

I feel in a really good position now and haven't felt so content in a long while. Don't get me wrong its not perfect, there's a lot to do.

Debt-free day might just be only 6 months away - CCs and Loans - we spent it all and we are paying back every last penny. I've joined the Pay all your Debts off by Xmas18 challenge and its now so very possible fingers crossed.

Home has become a bit dusty lately (laughing because I've stopped stressing about it now and stopped trying to do everything) but I still like a clean, tidy home and so I've been joining the Weekly Flylady threads to bring a bit of order - I feel so much better shifting a bit of dust and a bit of clutter (with family members helping now of course).

I'm also on my third month of the grocery challenge and that's really helping (Especially as I've set up a new regular saving account of 250 a month) - this time next year I should have 3k in the bank - for me all me - laughing at the thought of it but I need to work hard to keep that up.

And, just in case that wasn't enough challenge, I've decided to follow the Old Style Weight Loss thread. I really want to lose a couple of stone, but my priorities are other challenges first so I'm hoping that I might be able to join in properly soon.

So, as well as becoming debt-free I've decided that I want to do up our home a bit. No major renovations, just making things match and making it more comfortable for us. You can imagine that hasn't been the priority lately.

Last month I managed to sell some old furniture and have bought us a new sofa in the sale for the same price, which is now in pride of place. Then over the weekend I decided to have a go at changing the fabric in a roller blind. That was a huge success - bought a sale blind for 3.50 which was the right dimensions but the wrong orientation (too narrow, too long). Chopped off the top/bottom turned it on its side and re-attached the old fittings - phew.

So that's all got me thinking. Can I do up the house but spend as little money as possible, selling stuff I've got to buy replacements, up cycling and adapting things? So that's my challenge, to do up the house by the time the debt is paid off (and hopefully lose some weight along the way). I won't be posting much cos I'll be too busy but if I write it down, this will be a prompt for me.

So my aims at the moment are:

Cover the kitchen/dining room roller blinds - like this make-a-no-sew-fabric-covered-roller-shade/. Maybe with something like this (but a cheaper version) Cream/Red/Green fabric
    Sell all Tat
    Buy a pine chest of drawers from Ikea
    Then sell my very old large chest of draawers and buy another from Ikea
    Paint the corner unit and maybe a coffee table/side table
    Change the curtains in the lounge - possibly grey/blue colours
    Update the Roman Blinds
    Change/cover the rest of the roller blinds
    Cover the easy chairs
    Sort out the bedroom with aqua/peach colours
    Paint the dining room chairs and re-cover them - maybe to match the newly covered roller blinds
    Get OH to sort out logs/log storage
    Tidy up the garden

Just reading that, I've realised I've given myself a huge challenge, but oh well, lets see how it goes.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 29-05-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Homeowner wannabe by May 2020 :: Last few student loan payments made by April 2020
    Grocery Challenge 239/270 left : Save 1/day Xmas no.62 2020 67.39/366
    Fashion on the Ration (42.60 spent 57/66 vouchers left) :: 5 pleasures/day
    Frugally Fab, Flylady & Sewing Thread Lurker & Exercise regime
Page 4
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 19th Apr 19, 9:56 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Very proud of my 'debt free' badge.

Still waiting for the Student Loan Company to update my student loan. Then I'll be able to transfer over my soon to be maturing savings account. Another milestone for me and an achievement for me in later life

Planning to get a mortgage very soon, so I will probably be heading to the mortgage free wannabe board. We've been planning for retirement as well - get us !!

Been looking at the mortgage information on here and it all looks very complicated - so many different alternatives - so I'm giving myself an extended break at the moment from all things financial and just enjoying being debt-free. Will pull my bootstraps up soon but its just nice to bask a little while .
    Homeowner wannabe by May 2020 :: Last few student loan payments made by April 2020
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 30th Nov 19, 12:41 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just thought I would update on here. Its been a long time since I last posted and its nice that things have moved on ... a lot.

So, I didn't pay all the student loan off, but I paid a huge chunk - enough so that my last student loan payment will be the end of March. So I will start the new financial year free of student debt.

But, we have decided to buy a house and so will be taking on a mortgage in a few months. Rather large one which will wipe out all of our savings. I've been feeling very nervous about this, but then do you know we will be going into this debt-free and will be able to build up a reserve again pretty quickly. I think I'm just nervous about any unknown spends that may crop up with moving. I think we have it all covered though and I'm going to sit down and start really planning again. I sort of let things slide a little - well it was lovely getting rid of all that debt. Mr SS has been so much better with spending and saving lately but I still feel like I need to be the driving force and keep an eye on him. I know a lot of us feel like that about our OHs, so I'm not alone.

Anyway I have a plan, so I need to write it all down and perhaps do an SOA. Haven't done that for a long time.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 26th Dec 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Waiting to exchange and will have to pay over the deposit at that point, so savings will be taking a bit of a hit soon I keep having 'are we doing the right thing' moments mixed in with 'what if it all doesn't happen' moments. But when I sit and think about it rationally it is definitely the right thing to do. Wish we had done it ages ago, but we were just never at the right point in life.

I feel in a bit of limbo, not yet in the 'mortgage free' wannabe group, but I am trying to save as much as possible for our move and still have the rest of my student loan to pay off (less than 300 now and will be paid off in 3 months and OH's van loan (which really belongs to his business).

If everyone doesn't mind I am still going to hang around Debt-free Wannabes. I need to save as much money as possible for our move so will be keeping an eye on the food budget and other spends, would like to join in the frugally fab thread and be a fly lady to make sure my new home is well organised

I don't know what I would do without MSE and especially the debt-free wannabe boards. I read so many stories on here about how people are making changes to get out of debt and make the most of their earnings. Happy Christmas to all and here is to a happy new year for everyone.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 1st Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Happy New Year!

Had a lovely evening in, with DD home to meet up with friends. Its nice to wake up to 2020 with everyone safe at our home.

Hoping to exchange soon, if all works out we should be mortgage free by 2032. I know, we haven't even exchanged yet and I'm working out when the mortgage will be paid off. So keen to get started.

New Year's resolutions:

Stretch Daily
    Run twice a week
    Weight train twice a week
    Walk every lunchtime
    Lose 2 stone
    Start following MSE more regularly so that we can do up the new house, save, pay the mortgage off and enjoy ourselves frugally.

And add in: start sewing (clothes and blinds), reupholster chairs, fably frugal, fly lady and grocery challenge.

Happy New Year to all.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 01-01-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Add in
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 5th Jan 20, 11:00 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, I'm a little lost at the moment. Lots been going on and other things happening including DD gone back after xmas break (so hard when they go again) and I have an unexpected hospital appointment this week. But I want to keep going forward, because that's what we have to do, and time is passing by. I found JWILs list and have kind of copied it below. It's ambitious but do-able and will keep me focussed in this busy time:

Money:
    Find 5 things to sell on eBay (and list them!) - 1 achieved today
    Meal plan for the week each Saturday - whoops
    Budget max 25 pw for any groceries - see above

Health:
    Start running club again (and later parkrun)
    Aim to run, cycle or walk at least 10 mins daily at a good pace
    Cycle rather than take the car (if not a run club day)
    Walk at lunchtime (and definitely if not cycled and run on same day)
    Start weighted exercises, 2-3 times a week

Decluttering:
    Complete 'clothing' declutter
    Read house purchase paperwork
    Sort old papers out

Fabbing
    Keep up moisturising etc. - purchased a self-tan facial moisturiser to use every other evening and have been keeping this up
    Lose weight - been pretty steady over xmas just a few xmas pudding pounds.
    Sort my wardrobe out

I've ordered new leggings and shoes for work/general wear. I've been following the Fashion on the Ration challenge and it prompted me to look up capsule wardrobes. The advice was to be really honest with yourself and I have to say that those bodycon dresses and pencil skirts are really unlikely to be worn. I'm a leggings and long top kind of girl, with comfy shoes. So I've succumbed and ordered 100 worth of leggings and shoes. I have about 3 suitable blouses in my wardrobe and have ordered one more with the above (to take advantage of free delivery). I feel awful spending 100 on clothes, but I will wear these every day and feel comfortable. I will try and sell my old stuff on eBay and then donate what I can't sell.

There are so many articles on the web about capsule wardrobes. The first one I've looked at limits your wardrobe to 33 items (including clothing, jewellery, accessories and shoes). Underwear doesn't count. I love the idea that a capsule wardrobe 'reduces decision fatigue' and frees up time for other things.

Step 1 is to put everything on your bed so you can see what you have. Really, I have so much carp I'm not sure this will work. But it also ties in with the Chris Evans article today where he says take everything out of your drawers and then only put back what you really want. His article seemed to get slated, but I thought it was quite good, it hit home with where I am today.

Step 2 is to sort into:
    Love: I love these items. They fit me well and I wear them frequently.
    Maybe: I want to keep this but I don’t know why. (you know you have those items)
    Donate: These items don’t fit my body or my life.
    Trash: These items are in poor condition. (repurpose if possible)
    Then throw out the trash and bag the donate items immediately.

Then, take a second pass at your two remaining piles (love & maybe). Try on clothing you aren’t sure about and ask the following questions:
    Would I go to the store and buy this today?
    Will I wear this in the next 3-6 months (or ever)?
    If the answer is no, start a new donate pile and immediately add it to your other items for donation.

(I am very fearful that I will end up with nothing - I'm quite glad the leggings are on their way).

This is what the article says about step 3 (and you then revisit this every 3 months):
    Make a list of your 33 items by category. Start with the items you already use every day, and your go-to clothing items. This list may change over time as seasons change, or work/life situations change.

e.g
    Clothes
    jeans
    dress
    skirt
    simple t-shirt or v-neck
    button down shirt
    blazer

Jewelry
    bracelet

Accessories
    sunglasses
    purse
    scarf

Shoes
    flats
    heels
    walking shoes

That’s 13 core items, so you have room for another 20 when building your capsule wardrobe of 33 items. A typical collection could break down to 22 items of clothing including outerwear, 2 jewelry pieces, 5 accessories, and 4 pair of shoes.

They don’t count underwear, sleepwear, or workout clothes, but workout clothes have to workout. If yoga pants spend more time running errands than namstae-ing at the yoga studio, they count as part of the 33

I'm really looking forward to doing this. It would be great to open the wardrobe and only see things that I can wear rather than a load of old tosh that doesn't fit properly. And will be great for moving - only 33 things rather than (at least) 33 pairs of shoes I never wear.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 07-01-2020 at 6:31 AM. Reason: Altered Health section
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 5th Jan 20, 11:06 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, as well as all the goals above, separately I have some wishes. I was going to add them to the above, but realised the above is needed whereas my other wishes are just wants really.

I would like to:

Be a fully paid up member of the flylady club;
    Start sewing properly including clothes
    Do a fear of heights course (step 1 is to get fit)
    Do an advanced driver course/test
    Read more
    Progress my education
    Get a mortgage and join the MFW club.
    Save up an emergency fund again after getting a mortgage.

I think that's it. And I think i need to get busy
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 6th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 6,220 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Your lists sound brilliant, and I could really do with copying some of them

Hope the hospital appointment goes well.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 7th Jan 20, 6:37 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Thank you Chrystal

I've just adjusted my health list after reading a couple of Times articles about how running doesn't damage your joints and it had another underneath about how to get active in mid-life. I've also just been listening to the Women's Hour podcast with the guest who went from being size 8 all her life up to 19 stone and how she felt her self esteem was really damaged. I really do need to lose some weight/get fit as it does have an effect on me. I know its not true when we say oh if I could just have e.g. blonde hair, nice figure I will be so happy. But I really do agree that feeling good about yourself means you are much more positive. I'm hoping my new list will make me much more consistent and make exercise part of my routine.

Off to have a little look around the forums before work - its my little treat to myself today.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 11th Jan 20, 10:06 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Morning All

Had a mixed week but am going to keep it short and sweet - great news at hospital had some flak from people at work , but overall its all good and now its the weekend

So, decluttering and eBay here we come.....
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 11th Jan 20, 1:38 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Decluttering the wardrobe was easier than I thought. I still have more than the ideal 33 items if I include shoes/boots. Plus I have a shelf of summer stuff and a shelf of stuff that used to fit but I want to get back into. I have a week off at easter and will tackle those two then. Hopefully I will have lost some weight. If not I will be weeding out my current wardrobe and the summer shelf and throwing out the doesn't quite fit stuff.

I haven't tackled the shoes yet. I have so many pairs of not very versatile ones. I'm not sure what has happened with my shoes over the past few years. I'm going to have a break and then 1. go through my DDs charity bags as I did put some bnwt stuff in there and I really should have a go at selling first. Then 2. I will put everything on eBay.

I'd really like to do the shoes but I'm not quite ready for that one. I think it will involve putting all my shoes on the bedroom floor (which is currently full of CS bags) and being really ruthless. How many pairs of shoes should I have and what shoes should I have?

Edit - So, answering my own question I had a quick look on the tinterweb and found the article Shoe Capsule Wardrobe. I really like the long boots, the flat chelsea boots, casual trainers and smart loafers. I already have some skechers in the style of trainers which may need replacing soon and I have seen some lace up loafers in New Look I was going to try. So maybe I could start this year with looking in new look, then look at the flat chelsea boots and maybe do the long black boots next autumn? Something to think about.

Late night edit - I now have about 15 bags for the CS and about 25 items to go on eBay. If I can list 5 items each weekend they should hopefully soon be gone.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 11-01-2020 at 8:33 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jan 20, 11:25 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 23,088 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That sounds like excellent progress. I 'Kon Maried' my underwear and all footwear a few years ago. I was never brave enough to do the restof my clothes but I still feel the benefits in the underwear and socks departments. Sadly I regrew some extra shoes despite not seeing myself as a shoes person. Maybe I should try ebaying again, though I find it a bit tricky to manage listings as I work shifts.

Great that you had positive news at the hospital.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by 3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 12th Jan 20, 10:13 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Thanks Cherryfudge I think it was easier because I had so much stuff that I didn't like or didn't fit properly. I find it harder with shoes because they can be so expensive to replace (but now I've got a plan that should be easier) but the underwear drawer, now that really is the drawer of doom

Job that I must do today is to list lots of things on eBay. But first I have to go to the post office to post a parcel and return my non-fitting leggings and shoes I didn't like to Debenhams.

Will update later.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 12th Jan 20, 2:51 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    I've been out and done all the things I needed to do at the shops. Including posting the eBay sale and returning the leggings and shoes. Glad I decided to return the shoes, they didn't feel quite right and I have a feeling I have kept a lot of 'not quite right' shoes and clothes.

Jobs for the afternoon are:

Put last load of washing on.
    Have a go at changing bike brakes.
    Cancel car insurance.
    Put 5 items on eBay.

So my update is that all the above is done. I have just listed the 5 items but will need to update the photos tomorrow morning when there's more light and I have more energy. Should have done this in the afternoon but I always put off listing things on eBay, not sure why its not really that onerous. I have another 20 items to list - so 10 next weekend and 10 the weekend after (5 a day).

And I have a huge paper list to tackle tomorrow.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 12-01-2020 at 9:17 PM. Reason: Update
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 13th Jan 20, 7:53 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So we've eaten dinner and that's about it tonight. I always feel so lethargic in the evenings lately, just being lazy really. Once I sit down I know I won't want to get up again. I must make sure I do half an hour chores first.

I really need to update the eBay photos though as a minimum task.

Tomorrow I want to do a bit of sewing. My new leggings, which I have washed once are coming apart along one seam. I need to repair them quickly, they were in the sale so no point trying to return.

Hopefully will sleep a bit better tonight, was a bit restless last night.

So, update. I managed to drag my lazy self off the sofa and updated my eBay photos. Tick. Now I might have a chance of selling them without blurry photos.
    Last edited by supersaver1000; 13-01-2020 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Update
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 14th Jan 20, 7:02 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Just checking in to say that I was really pleased I did the eBay photos last night. So this morning I've put my washing away. Its lovely to see it all lined up in the newly decluttered wardrobe (just counted 28 items hung up).

I still have around 16 items to list on eBay (a weekend job). I would love to make around 50 to treat myself to one item of my footwear list (white trainers, chelsea boots, lace up loafers/shoes, long boots). But I still have to sort my shoes (weekend job). Then the workout gear and the doesn't quite fit (Spring job).

So, tonight, I have to do my sewing before I sit down. Once I'm on that sofa I can't go anywhere - I'm starting to think it has mystical powers to imprison me
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 20, 8:32 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You’re probably more organised than I but I realised that I didn’t actually like some of my shrink into clothes but was holding onto them more for the size they represented. Might be worth a quick look through
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 64761.98 target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 946.16 target 1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund 4266/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 14th Jan 20, 7:02 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    You are so right INOD, hit the nail on the head. Thanks for dropping by. We are complex creatures aren't we. Perhaps now I've cleared my wardrobe a second look might be a bit more productive (rather than me bemoaning that I can't get into those clothes anymore).

I vaguely remember holding onto some garment until I could get into it and then when I lost a few pounds last year and could get into it I tried it on and decided I didn't like it.

The capsule wardrobe instructions said to think about whether you would go out and buy the same garment today - that will help too.

I am feeling so much better with less to look through in the mornings. I still wear the same clothes, but I just don't have a whole wardrobe of disappointment to navigate first
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jan 20, 11:40 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 23,088 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I so like that phrase 'wardrobe of disappointment'! I have just done a mental list of shirts to see what I remember because those will be the ones I am more likely to wear. I came up with 8 then remembered a 9th which I've worn maybe once but I kept it because it's silk and ultra-light so it might be useful to pack if I'm flying somewhere and besides, it's silk... but it's just occurred to me that if I don't wear it normally, it's not suddenly going to become wearable with my holiday wardrobe.

You are doing brilliantly with sorting through clothes, I bet it feels good to know what's in the wardrobe and that it's things you will wear.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by 3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 17th Jan 20, 8:11 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Thanks CherryFudge. I have definitely got a few things like your silk blouse. The capsule wardrobe instructions include having a box of stuff you can put away if you need to e.g. summer stuff.

I had a quick visit to the charity shop at lunchtime but wasn't really in the mood for shopping. I tried on a couple of coats but nothing was really just right. And to be honest, it was so easy to pick out an outfit this morning - probably 20 seconds. Normally I'd get into a panic, searching through all the stuff that didn't fit or didn't really feel comfortable in. I used to feel that I didn't have anything to wear, so I used to buy more stuff (that I didn't really like). I don't feel like that at the moment.

Got a couple of bids on my eBay stuff (I've probably already said that). And I have about another 16 items to list over the weekend. Once each item is listed I will put it in the spare room out of the way. Although I still have about 15 bags to go to the CS. It would be good to get it all gone by the end of January (or 2nd Feb which is 2 weeks).

Feeling so tired today. I'm not sleeping brilliantly and have various things on my mind (paid stuff, house move and just worrying about life in general - need to knock it on the head). I need to get some good sleep habits going again as I really in the scheme of things don't have much to worry about.

All the Best to everyone. SS x
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 18th Jan 20, 8:36 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 14,046 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    I haven't had much progress with my plans, but have felt under the weather this week so am happy just to make it to the end of the week.

Feeling happier after a nice long soak and a pamper.

So tomorrow I'm planning to list all the eBay items (or as many as possible) and then work my way through my list of things to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,837Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter