Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 28th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 8Thanks
    LUSK
    Account in credit
    • 28th May 18, 1:39 PM
    Account in credit 28th May 18 at 1:39 PM
    I have an account in credit with an electricity supplier but they are no longer my provider.

In short, I'd like to have the credit in the form of money.

Having contacted them several times and requested for the funds to be returned, they continue to ignore despite a statement from them which clearly shows the account in credit.

It seems the only way to grab their attention might be with legal proceedings.

What's your thought on this, please?
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 28th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:10 PM
    I have an account in credit with an electricity supplier but they are no longer my provider.

Having contacted them several times and requested for the funds to be returned, they continue to ignore despite a statement from them which clearly shows the account in credit.

Originally posted by LUSK
    When did you close/switch your account? If it was a switch then suppliers have 6 weeks from the day on which the supply was transferred to issue you with a Final Bill.
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 28th May 18, 2:12 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    • 28th May 18, 2:12 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:12 PM
    When did you close/switch your account? If it was a switch then suppliers have 6 weeks from the day on which the supply was transferred to issue you with a Final Bill.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I would estimate 18 months ago - minimum.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 28th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:15 PM
    In that case, if I was you, I would send the supplier a Letter Before Action and get ready to take them to The Small Claims Court.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 28th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 27,382 Posts
    • 13,401 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 28th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:17 PM
    Is the account using the final meter readings at the date of the Switch - i.e the opening readings for the new supplier.

Is the account marked final? and is it showing on-line or a paper copy?
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 28th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    • 28th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:23 PM
    In that case, if I was you, I would send the supplier a Letter Before Action and get ready to take them to The Small Claims Court.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/
    Originally posted by Hengus
    That's what I am thinking.
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 28th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    • 28th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 28th May 18, 2:26 PM
    Is the account using the final meter readings at the date of the Switch - i.e the opening readings for the new supplier.

Is the account marked final? and is it showing on-line or a paper copy?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    The document date is 22 January 2018 and the statement period os for 17.10.16 - 08.11.16.

It then goes on to say the closing balance for the period of this statement is X.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 28th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 28th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 28th May 18, 9:45 PM
    Have you contacted the supplier and put in a complaint? I would do this. If no joy then https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • Shavuot
    • By Shavuot 29th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Shavuot
    • 29th May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 29th May 18, 10:39 AM

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/reclaim-energy-bill-refunds
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 6th Jul 18, 1:06 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    Just an update to this. In the end as they had no intention of communicating with me, I took them to court to court which in turn managed to get their attention. Within the space of a few days, a cheque for the credit amount had arrived along with the court fee.

I find it incredible that it was necessary for me to go to such extreme lengths. It's just wasted everybodys time.
    • frankie
    • By frankie 6th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 693 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    frankie
    Who was the supplier? Name and shame!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Hengus
    Just an update to this. In the end as they had no intention of communicating with me, I took them to court to court which in turn managed to get their attention. Within the space of a few days, a cheque for the credit amount had arrived along with the court fee.

I find it incredible that it was necessary for me to go to such extreme lengths. It's just wasted everybodys time.
    I agree but, sadly, holding on to consumer's credits is becoming an issue that the Regulator needs to address. Thanks for the update and I am pleased that the matter has been resolved.
    • LUSK
    • By LUSK 6th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LUSK
    Who was the supplier? Name and shame!
    Originally posted by frankie
    It was Solarplicity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,069Posts Today

4,983Users online

Martin's Twitter