Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 28th May 18, 12:47 AM
    • 1,878Posts
    • 2,691Thanks
    FreeBear
    Lodger wanting to cook
    • 28th May 18, 12:47 AM
    Lodger wanting to cook 28th May 18 at 12:47 AM
    In need of a bit of extra money, I decided to get myself a lodger - Ended up getting a very quiet pair.. She is wanting to cook meals for both her partner and me, and has wanted to know when I get home from work so that food is ready.

Never factored this in to the rent, nor did I expect it which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma. Should I keep the cupboards well stocked with food and tell her to help herself, or should I adjust the rent.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Page 5
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer

As for my two lodgers, they are very real. I do not "enjoy" having to intervene in their arguments, but do so in an attempt to prevent things turning nasty. If that means dialing 101 and asking for assistance, then that is what I'll do.

Originally posted by FreeBear
    sorry but this quote alone makes it sound as if they have taken over more of your life,and your ability to have "quiet enjoyment" and personal space in your home.

That's a little bit more than 2 toothbrushes and a little bit of clutter if you ask me!
    "hard pushed to know they are around" sounds pure domestic bliss really until the next time.

Colour charts for their room,thinking of painting it whatever colour they want...deluded.

They've got you wrapped round their finger and if you think that's a business relationship you have,think again.
    Last edited by need an answer; 10-07-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 65
    2017 -32
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 32,543 Posts
    • 20,475 Thanks
    DCFC79
    You getting a new lodger OP ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 10-07-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Why aren't you getting a new lodger OP ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Because the OP likes playing Mary Poppins to these two.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 65
    2017 -32
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 10th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,542 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Just because it's usually a man, it doesn't mean it can't be a woman who is the abuse.

And abuse by women of their male partners is under-reported because of the stigma. No one is minimising it. (And it can happen in same-gender relationships)
    Originally posted by Armorica
    I rather think that Red Squirrel is one of those people who thinks that whether something is racist or not depends on the race of the racist. There are quite a few of these virtue signallers about. I think they expect applause for airing their prejudices.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 10th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 19,924 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I am sensing such a desperation for company the knowledge that this pair will kick of and provide that interaction is what is letting the OP keep them there.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 7,124 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Providing colour charts??? How many LLs allow their long term tenants to paint their rentals? Encouraging lodgers to do so smacks of real desperation on the LL's part to me.

I think you are probably lapping up the drama, FB. I'll leave you to it.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Jul 18, 12:02 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Providing colour charts??? How many LLs allow their long term tenants to paint their rentals?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    If they are willing to paint & decorate the room, it saves me the time and cost of doing so. It also gives them a sense of belonging and viewing the place as home rather than just somewhere to crash. In the process, developing respect for the fabric of the building.... It seemed like a good idea at the time.

No arguments, bloodshed, or meals waiting this week. Judging by the washing up on the draining board, I'm guessing they have eaten this evening. Not even sure that they are in at the moment.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 8,765 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I rather think that Red Squirrel is one of those people who thinks that whether something is racist or not depends on the race of the racist. There are quite a few of these virtue signallers about. I think they expect applause for airing their prejudices.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Let me know what I've posted that you feel is inaccurate regarding domestic violence and I will happily link to the research and statistics to inform you of the reality.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 11th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Twopints
    I rather think that westernpromise is from the Tyson Fury school of thought on a woman's place.
    Not even wrong
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 13th Jul 18, 11:46 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I rather think that <insert name here> is one of those people who thinks that whether something is racist or not depends on the race of the racist. There are quite a few of these virtue signallers about. I think they expect applause for airing their prejudices.
    I agree that some of the more vociferous commentators appear to be applying their own experiences and/or prejudices. I'll not hold it against them - They are basing their opinions on a bare minimum of facts and jumping to worst case conclusions.

For example...
    That's a little bit more than 2 toothbrushes and a little bit of clutter if you ask me!

Colour charts for their room,thinking of painting it whatever colour they want...deluded.

They've got you wrapped round their finger and if you think that's a business relationship you have,think again.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    They are paying quite a bit to live here. It is reasonable to ask them what colours they'd like their room to be painted in. It is a home, not some holiday camp or prison. The rest of the house, I decide on the decor.

All quiet, and both the lodgers have been smiles & gentle words apart from Wednesday evening - Something about a bunch of Croatian kids kicking a ball round a field I think....

• archived user
    How much are the lodgers is paying for the month and are you in London?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 16th Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    How much are the lodgers is paying for the month and are you in London?
    Originally posted by rodgerlod75
    They are paying the LHA rate plus a bit for this area, and I'm no where near London.

If/when they move out, I have the choice of a prison officer or a trainee teacher lined up. No more couples.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 64,176 Posts
    • 376,652 Thanks
    PasturesNew

If/when they move out, I have the choice of a prison officer or a trainee teacher lined up. .
    They could be trouble ....

1/ Deals with nutters all day, so spends the day on "high alert", comes home aggressive by nature.

2/ Works part-time, has long holidays, then dosses around at home whining it's so stressful
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 17th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Hmmmm... craiglist - No thanks. Would only have space for one person, not two.

House rules require appropriate dress at all times. For men, shirt, tie, and full length trousers.

• takman
    • By takman 17th Jul 18, 12:09 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    takman
    Hmmmm... craiglist - No thanks. Would only have space for one person, not two.

House rules require appropriate dress at all times. For men, shirt, tie, and full length trousers.
    Is that one extra person? Are you planning to put a third person in the room with your two current lodgers to cause some more drama and more excitement for yourself
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 17th Jul 18, 12:13 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    If/when they move out, I have the choice of a prison officer or a trainee teacher lined up. No more couples.
    They could be trouble ....

1/ Deals with nutters all day, so spends the day on "high alert", comes home aggressive by nature.

2/ Works part-time, has long holidays, then dosses around at home whining it's so stressful
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Neighbour works in the local prison - He is a gentle kinda guy, and rarely has a cross word to say even after a hard day at the "office". It is a colleague of his looking for somewhere, and comes with a personal recommendation.

Two friends of mine are (were) teachers, and they never has time during the school breaks to doss around. Way too busy planning work for the next term. Government policy has increased the workload of teachers, and many rarely get time off, even in the summer months.

Is that one extra person? Are you planning to put a third person in the room with your two current lodgers to cause some more drama and more excitement for yourself
    Originally posted by takman
    No.!

Planning ahead for the day the current pair move out. Have no intention of packing lodgers in like sardines like some of the London squats.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 17-07-2018 at 12:17 AM.

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 20th Jul 18, 4:56 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Just wanted to ask if you play additional business rates and or council tax for all the additional noise and inconvenience that your two lodgers cause the neighbors. Are you insured for running a business? Do you have any covenants or restrictions that are in your lease about this? Do you have planning permission for having noisy lodgers? Have you done a health and safety assessment?

Have you got an HMO license? Have you done a fire risk assessment?

See my point here is to say that your situation where you have two lodgers who are what we at the NHS would call people who live a "chaotic life style" which basically means people who can't live a normal life without support from others and your situation impinges on your neighbours enjoyment of their home and their right to a peaceful environment at home as well much more than my part time quiet work from home situation, you have police cars coming several times plus shouting which can cause alarm and distress to your neighbours which is essentially a breach of the peace

Difference is I've got a hoard of peeps on my thread who would delight at burning me at the stake (metaphorically speaking) and saying more or less than I'm a wrongun and you haven't when I cause less disturbance to anybody but you are causing actual illegal things to happen in your home

I know it's not you but you're create an environment in which you earn money and from that situation that you earn money the law is being broken

See the comparison here??

I am just using you as an example and I'm not personally criticizing you, quite the opposite I think it's admirable you don't judge your lodgers and you give them a second chance!
    Originally posted by scarlett.as81
    something of a revenge post I feel in retaliation over your own thread scarlett.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 65
    2017 -32
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Just wanted to ask if you play additional business rates and or council tax for all the additional noise and inconvenience that your two lodgers cause the neighbors. Are you insured for running a business? Do you have any covenants or restrictions that are in your lease about this? Do you have planning permission for having noisy lodgers? Have you done a health and safety assessment?

Don't give a rat's backside about the neighbours - They make enough noise of their own, so any noise my pair make is sufficient retribution (not that the lodgers are noisy).
    Council tax is paid in full with no discounts applied. As I have absolute title on the property and own the freehold, no lease restrictions apply. As for covenants, the only thing I'm not allowed is pigs - Can keep chickens, goats, and any number of other animals.
    Lodgers do not fall under the remit of planning, as it is a residential property housing residents.

Health & safety assessment is an ongoing process - All chemicals are locked away, the cellars are off limits, and things that (might) go bang in the night are not talked about. Fully insured for all risks despite that.

Have you got an HMO license? Have you done a fire risk assessment?

HMO licence not required as the number of family units in residence do not exceed the threshold. Fire risk assessments are conducted on a regular basis, hence the stipulation of no naked flames (candles, oil burners, incense. etc) or smoking allowed inside the building.

See my point here is to say that your situation where you have two lodgers who are what we at the NHS would call people who live a "chaotic life style" which basically means people who can't live a normal life without support from others and your situation impinges on your neighbours enjoyment of their home and their right to a peaceful environment at home as well much more than my part time quiet work from home situation, you have police cars coming several times plus shouting which can cause alarm and distress to your neighbours which is essentially a breach of the peace

The police have attended a couple of disturbances in the past with 'er next door. The neighbours the other side like playing guitars & drums at various times during the day - A mix of rock & jazz, which isn't really my cup of tea, but is doesn't disturb me..

Oh, and you should now better than making a long distance diagnosis based on minimal evidence.

Difference is I've got a hoard of peeps on my thread who would delight at burning me at the stake (metaphorically speaking) and saying more or less than I'm a wrongun and you haven't when I cause less disturbance to anybody but you are causing actual illegal things to happen in your home

Um, nope. You are running a business from home that is in breach of your tenancy agreement. As for "causing actual illegal things to happen", I'm struggling to see how you can jump to such a damning conclusion.

I know it's not you but you're create an environment in which you earn money and from that situation that you earn money the law is being broken

If you care to point out which laws are being broken (with references to the relevant acts of Parliament, I can put you straight. If anything, my presence actually prevents breaches of the law,

See the comparison here??

Nope. All I see is an armchair lawyer using Judge Rinder as a guide and coming to comical conclusions.

I am just using you as an example and I'm not personally criticizing you, quite the opposite I think it's admirable you don't judge your lodgers and you give them a second chance!

I'll leave the final judgment to the twelve good men (or women).
    something of a revenge post I feel in retaliation over your own thread scarlett.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    I think I would agree with the sentiment, but I've got a thick skin... Perhaps I should offer young Scarlet a guided tour of the cellars
    Last edited by FreeBear; 20-07-2018 at 6:10 PM.

• need an answer
    • By need an answer 20th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Where did I ever proport to being a lawyer?

I'm A LL for goodness sake!

My annual salary is none of your business but we are in the same tax bracket and whilst I'm not the wrong side of 50 I'm certainly old enough to be your parent.

I've also managed a much longer marriage than you !!!8230;.and clearly much happier

Welcome to MSE,36 posts in and joined no more than 20 days ago I feel honoured that you have considered my back posts with such esteem as to now cast judgement on their worth.

At least we agree on the fact that GM is indeed an excellent source of information along with many others here,its a shame you still seem so bitter at some posters replies.

an open forum will always attract a mixed view,you either accept it or debate it.

now do you wish to continue point scoring?
    Last edited by need an answer; 20-07-2018 at 6:53 PM.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 65
    2017 -32
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 20th Jul 18, 6:55 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    need an answer
    Please don't quote me on things I deleted. I deleted that bit about being the wrong side of 50. I wish people wouldn't do that if I delete something it's because I didn't mean it. Yes I do agree with you lets stop point scoring.

We might be in the same tax bracket but I bet we're not in the same income bracket baby!
    #

you deleted a lot of the character assignation too.

Your choice to post what you like,my choice to defend.

May I suggest that if you wish this to carry on its via PM

I wouldn't bet unless it was a sure winner either...but if you really want to bring it on.....
    Last edited by need an answer; 20-07-2018 at 6:58 PM.
    in S 36 T 57 F 57
    out S 51 T 60 F 65
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,248Posts Today

8,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin