admiral insurance cancelled policy and ive been driving around uninsured

Absolutely fuming with admiral insurance. Received a letter today informing me my policy has been cancelled, no mention of why and I've checked the DD payments and all have been taken. Only took the policy out in march.
This bit is amazing apparently my policy was cancelled from the 17th May which means as I use it every day I've been driving illegally and God knows what would have happened if I'd had a accident.
No letters or phone calls to advise any issues. Tried calling yesterday evening and they are not back in the office til the morning now got to find some insurance oh and they want to charge me £49 for admin.

I called them this morning and spoke to an advisor they checked for me and advised that the policy had been cancelled because they they had requested a copy of my driving licence via email several times but didnt have it so cancelled it. ive never had the email but since checking its in my spam folder well two of them are. when i spoke to the guy and said ive been driving around uninsured for nearly a week i could have had my car seized and they replied yes thats right but you stipulated for communication to be email, I cant remember but i bet when i did that i assumed its going to be spam, they do have my phone number aswell but no calls. i had to get insurance through someone else this morning as i needed the car and they said they cant reinstate it because they need to see a copy of the licence first and then verify it which can take 48hours.
i used another company and just ticked a box which says i authorise them to obtain driving licence details from the DVLA.

the guy did say hes noticed a issue because on their system it shows sent via portal rather postal and he said he will ask hes IT team to investigate and if thats correct he will refund me the gbp 49.00 for the admin charge.
i just feel a little bit peeved to be honest i've heard horror stories of cars being seized or accidents.

i've got to wait to hear back but i would be very wary of using admiral, elephant etc if i had never been sent a letter i would have never known and still possibly paying per month.
Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like the fault lies with your email provider, incorrectly filtering Admiral's emails go Spam.

I hope you declared the cancelled policy to the new provider!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your fuming with them because they claim to have emailed you several times and you found the emails in your spam. So they told the truth?

Or because you chose the email option for contact and they did actually send you emails as per your instructions?

You would not have been paying per month after they cancelled it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Your fuming with them because they claim to have emailed you several times and you found the emails in your spam. So they told the truth?

Or because you chose the email option for contact and they did actually send you emails as per your instructions?

You would not have been paying per month after they cancelled it.

Exaclty! None of this is Admiral's fault and yet you won't blame anyone else? Weird.
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2018 at 9:38AM
    thanks for the replies, just spoke to admiral this morning and they have advised that they did not follow there internal procedures with regards to notification and therefore they are going to refund me the admin fee of £49.00 and offered me 25% off my next insurance quote as a goodwill gesture.
    they had my mobile number and there system is saying the notifications of cancellation were sent to aportal rather than postal which is what should have happened.

So I can guess i got very lucky on this occasion, i have also asked to put in writing that the polciy was cancelled by mistake so for future quotes it doesnt penalise me, it only added £10 extra to my recent quote so thats not too bad either.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All you can do is complain to them formally and then go to the FOS if they reject it. If it's a genuine mistake, given the issue with cancelled insurance making premiums sky rocket I'd recommend you do this immediately.

Also check your spam each week, I find emails from companies that I want to use in there frequently even though other emails from them are not in spam
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stolt wrote: »
    thansk for the replies, just spoek to admiral this morning and they have advised that they did not follow there internal procedures with regards to notification and therefore they are going to refund me the admin fee of £49.00 and offered me 25% off my next insurance quote as a goodwill gesture.
    they had my mobile number and there system is saying the notifications of cancellation were sent to aportal rather than postal which is what shoudlahve happened.

So I can guess i got very lucky on this occasion, i have also asked to put in writing that the polciy was cancelled by mistake so for future quotes it doesnt penalise me, it only added £10 extra to my recent quote so thats not too bad either.

You need to confirm with them, in writing that this was not a cancellation and that they are re-instating your old policy so it doesn't need to be declared for future quotes.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    For future reference never rely on sole email communication for anything important. You never know what might happen - their mistake, you lose it, your server loses it, your computer packs up, gets a virus, hacked, etc.

Good old-fashioned paper in the post is the most reliable.
  • stolt
    yes i updated to my preferences as postal only, she did say with the severity of these things they should also use the post as they cannot rely on emails and thats what they didnt do even though they said in there system they did.

the big bonus was she said the discrepency was a on a claim i said my wife had, i had it down as 2015 and it was actually 2014 and she said thats actually made your policy cheaper by £26 so they are going to refund that aswell but that was the only issue. to be fair after the initial problem admiral have handled this really well and been apologetic more than i expected and i wonder why are are so apologetic maybe if i had gone to the ombudsman it would have been worse but im happy they have sorted it out and i feel better im not going mad and missing texts, and letters and i ticking boxes saying emails only.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Well.....you should have higher aims over this issue

Your aim should be the policy reinstated and confirmation that the cancellation was an error and need not be disclosed to other Insurers in writing

Your bottom line should be the letter confirming that they have not put this cancellation on any database and you don't have to disclose it to other insurers
  • stolt
    edited 26 May 2018 at 12:01AM
    Quentin wrote: »
    Well.....you should have higher aims over this issue

Your aim should be the policy reinstated and confirmation that the cancellation was an error and need not be disclosed to other Insurers in writing

Your bottom line should be the letter confirming that they have not put this cancellation on any database and you don't have to disclose it to other insurers

yes they confirmed i was covered between the dates and that the policy was never cancelled.
    very lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure