Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 24th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 391Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Say No to Credit Cards Diary
    • 24th May 18, 2:39 PM
    Say No to Credit Cards Diary 24th May 18 at 2:39 PM
    Hi Everybody,

I am really nervous about joining this site and starting this diary. It is something that I have wanted to do now for months but have always made an excuse not to do it. Any way today is the day I start to sort myself out and say goodbye to the really high level of debt that I have.

I have read and read all the other diaries and found them all amazing to read and have been in ore of the struggles that people have overcome to reduce the total debt each month.

So her I go. My aims for this diary are:
    Post every day as I feel it will keep me accountable.
    Join some of the challenges which will keep me motivated
    Listen to anybody that wants to offer me any advice that will help me on my way.
    Account for every penny that I spend, do I need it and can I afford it will be my new thing from now on.

This is the really hard part now. My total debt today is 38864.00 all on 4 different credit cards. I cannot believe I have said that as I have never mentioned this to anybody before and nobody else knows about it apart from me.

I will give you all a very brief out line of my life just to create a picture as I do feel it is easier for people to help. I am married with two grown up kids at home. Both hubby and myself work full time. We have totally separate bank accounts. No mortgage as the house is paid for.

The crazy thing about that figure I do not know what the money was used for which drives me out of my mind.

My challenge for today was to write this post so that I can become accountable for that amount, which I have done for the world to see.

I am going to use this diary to set myself challenges week by week, which will help me to reduce the terrible debt figure.

Challenges for this week are:
    Complete a SOA and post on diary. Done
    Complete a budget as I really do not have one. Done
    Open another saving bank account as I really need to start a rainy day fund so I do not use those cards again. Done
    Do a weekly food menu for next week so I can start to reduce the food bill. Done

Challenges for May / June
    Reduce the food bill
    Reduce my petrol bill
    Start to de-clutter the house and sell all stuff on ebay / car boot sales to generate some extra cash.
    See if I can reduce any of my DD phone, gas, electricity etc.
    Do a spreadsheet for a budget so I can see what I am spending all my money on.

Most of the CC debt is on interest free or very low interest rates so there is no movement there at the moment. This is one sensible thing I have done recently.

Feel free to offer me any advice you feel may help because I feel like I am ready for this and today is the start of the rest of my life that this debt is reduced and I can wave goodbye to each of the four cards that are always in the back of my mind.

Sorry to go on but I am one of those people that if it is on a list I generally do it so from now on this diary is going to be my list.

Take care Say No to Credit Card Debt
    Last edited by Say No to Credit Cards; 26-05-2018 at 3:31 PM.
Page 9
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 1st Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 7,720 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Pleased to see you back, and sorry to hear about your dad. Parents are such a worry to us all these days.

Great news with the continued debt busting. I can not believe your family haven't noticed ... how long can this continue for??
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 1st Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Hi WISHINGTHEMORTGAHEAWAY

Thanks for dropping by. As they say parents and kids! It is just one of those things and to be honest he is getting around great now. The problem was when he was not very mobile, it was awful and took up every minute of my time. But it is what it is and I just think if I cannot make it easy for him who can. We have had a good laugh over the last few weeks and I think he has enjoyed having me around.

I find it strange the family not noticing the amount of money that I am not spending any more. However, when I think about it some of the ways I am saving money they would not notice any way. For example re gifting when a birthday present is needed. That has saved me so much money over the last three months. Both my son and daughter are going to the gym a lot at the moment and have asked me not to buy junk as in biscuits, sweets and cakes which is such a gift at the moment.

My list of goals for August are:

1. Stay within the 60 budget for petrol
    2. Stay within my 240 budget for food. I have been and taken this out of the bank this morning as I do like having it in a kitty in the kitchen.
    3. Keep up with the annual bills tins
    4. Do two car boot sales
    5. Make extra income of 300 for the month from boot sales and ebay.
    6. I have three birthdays in September, so I am going to try and regift presents again for these as it will save me 60 / 70.
    7. Start to organise the dreaded Christmas gifts, I know I am really sorry but I want to be organised this year and not over spend or use a credit card.
    8. DO NOT USE A CREDIT CARD. Since I started this diary I have not used a credit card once which is amazing.

Right I am going to go and do some jobs that I need to do so take care everybody.
    Extra Income May 290.92 June 498.00 July 145.61
    August 2018 37.38
    April 2018 39,942 Aug 18 36721.65 PAID 3220.35
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 1st Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    Great to see you back SNTCC sorry to hear about your dad, but it sounds like he is on the mend.
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 2nd Aug 18, 6:20 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    You are doing a fantastic job! Glad to hear your Dad is on the mend.
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 2nd Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    Moguline
    Great to have you back, SNTCC! Hope your dad's recovery goes quickly and smoothly now! How lovely of you to help your dad out like that!
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Highest debt (01/01/2018): 23,786 As of 30/07/2018: 19,570.38 Total reduction in 2018: -4,215.90 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2019
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 2nd Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    Kitten868
    Poor you and your poor dad. It's awful when something like that happens. Truly happy for you both that he's mobile again and that he enjoyed your company. You're brilliant looking after him like that. As for that weeks food kitty are you using it for over payments or a buffer?

When the stuff goes it's so liberating and means you can enjoy the stuff you do have so much more. I'm trying to work out what works for our new house and it's such trial and error. And I'm sure you're going straight over the 1000 threshold. I'm thinking may be the 1200 threshold. Keep up the great work xxx
    Loan 1 5700/8000
    Loan 2 3700/5800
    Total 9400/13800 32% PAID

And CC 1700/1900
    • jwil
    • By jwil 3rd Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 8,790 Posts
    • 27,477 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, all sounds successful otherwise!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 5th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Good morning everybody,

I had a really busy day yesterday. I cleaned my house from top to bottom to get it back to normal from not being around for a couple of weeks. So today I am going to catch up on the washing and ironing and food shopping.

So meal plan for the week all done and shopping list is all sorted. I just love being organised now, as I never was.

So I am feeling a little back to normal now. Don't get me wrong my dad is still taking a lot of my time helping him out but that is not a problem, it will come right soon.

I did not manage to get all the stuff together for a car boot sale this morning, but hopefully I night get to do one in a week or two when I have a little more time. I had my first ebay sale for August yesterday, so a profit of 6.42, let hope it is the first of many.

I went through my 4 credit card accounts this morning and calculated my new balance.

Credit Cards - At their highest the balances on all the cards was 39942 in April 2018.

At the end of July the balances was 367216.45, it really is going in the right direct. I would love this time next month to hit the 35,000.

Gemsy81 - Thank you for dropping by. My dad is on the mend now, and he is starting to do more himself. However, he still does need a lot of help which I really do not mind. It is just hard on my time but we will manage.

GlendaSugar - Thank you for dropping in on me. Your comments are really appreciated and it is so nice that people on this forum are concerned about each other. Thank you so much.

Moguline - Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to post such a lovely comment. I hope you are ok and life in your house is all good.

Kitten868 - Thank you for dropping in on me. I have decided to keep the money left over from last months food kitty as a little buffer this month. The only reason I am doing this is because I have been cooking extra meals and running them around to my dads as he still cannot stand for long to cook. So I will be using more food this month so it is nice to have the buffer. I don't mind as on Friday I went over to my dads and we went out for dinner just the two of us, it was really nice and it was his treat as well.

I would love to get over the 1200 marker this month, it would be great. I would love to take a week off work and just sort out the whole house in one go. Dump all the junk in the garage and then just chip a way at ebay and car boot sales.

jwil - Thank you so much for dropping in on me. Everything is going in the right direction and despite the lack of time in the past few weeks I really have not fell off the wagon as they say. I have stayed within all my budgets and have not used a credit card. The only budget that I may need to look at this month is my fuel one. The only reason I say this is I am going to my dad may twice a day at the moment so will be using a lot more petrol than normal. If I was not pushed for time I wold walk but I really do not have the time at the moment.

Right I am off to tackle the mountain of washing and ironing. In between I am going to try and catch up on all your diaries that I have not looked at for weeks.

Take care everybody and have a great day.
    August 2018 37.38
    • lindez
    • By lindez 6th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    lindez
    Hi Say No to Credit Cards great to see you back.
    So sorry to hear about your dad and its great that he is recovering well.
    You are doing brilliantly with you *bay sales so far this year lets hope you get over the 1200 mark for August.
    I am still chipping away at PAD challenge and its addictive in a good way lol.
    Keep going I am willing you along xx
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44 YTD 74.00 OP/65860.00
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 9th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    SNTCC, what a great dent in those debts you are making! Well done you
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 13th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Good Afternoon Folks,

I have got a well earned day off work today, which is great. So this morning I have done a quick tidy around the house so it looks like somebody lives in it. This afternoon is going to be catching up on the washing and ironing. I know living the dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So kind of getting a little back to normal now with the routine of my house and my dad. He has come on so much and is doing so much more himself now which is amazing. So I feel it is time now for me to start back on my debt free journey.

Yesterday I sold a few things on ebay and made a profit of 30.96 after fees and postage so a total of 38.38 extra income this month. I am hoping the weather is going to be nice on Sunday as I plan on doing a car boot sale, so hopefully that total will go up again.

Food budget going great and meal plan for this week all sorted.

I have paid all the payment for the four C/C for this month and have started making extra payments each day of various amounts. I really would love to get down to 35,000 for the end of this year.

Also once again I still have not used my credit cards which is great.

Has anybody sold stuff on facebook as an alternative to ebay? I have never done it and was just wondering if it was any good.

lindez - Thank you so much for dropping by. I think doing the PAD thing keeps you so focused as you are revisiting the debt each day but in a positive way as you can see it reducing. Keep going, I have been making a payment a day but have just not had time to post on the thread. Hopefully now I will have a little bit ore time. Take care

Gemsy81 - Thank you so much for stopping by. I am made up with the amount it has come down up to now. I am hoping as I am going to start having a little more time I can start it hit it hard again. I am going to go and catch up on your diary now, hope everything is going well with you.

Take care everybody and have a great day.
    August 2018 37.38
    • lindez
    • By lindez 13th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    lindez
    Hi Say No To Credit Cards, well done on your sales, and your plan for debt busting on the extra payments will be a huge boost for you to get below the 35000 target. You are doing so well on not using your credit cards x
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44 YTD 74.00 OP/65860.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,115Posts Today

9,105Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin