Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 24th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 373Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Say No to Credit Cards Diary
    • 24th May 18, 2:39 PM
    Say No to Credit Cards Diary 24th May 18 at 2:39 PM
    Hi Everybody,

I am really nervous about joining this site and starting this diary. It is something that I have wanted to do now for months but have always made an excuse not to do it. Any way today is the day I start to sort myself out and say goodbye to the really high level of debt that I have.

I have read and read all the other diaries and found them all amazing to read and have been in ore of the struggles that people have overcome to reduce the total debt each month.

So her I go. My aims for this diary are:
    Post every day as I feel it will keep me accountable.
    Join some of the challenges which will keep me motivated
    Listen to anybody that wants to offer me any advice that will help me on my way.
    Account for every penny that I spend, do I need it and can I afford it will be my new thing from now on.

This is the really hard part now. My total debt today is 38864.00 all on 4 different credit cards. I cannot believe I have said that as I have never mentioned this to anybody before and nobody else knows about it apart from me.

I will give you all a very brief out line of my life just to create a picture as I do feel it is easier for people to help. I am married with two grown up kids at home. Both hubby and myself work full time. We have totally separate bank accounts. No mortgage as the house is paid for.

The crazy thing about that figure I do not know what the money was used for which drives me out of my mind.

My challenge for today was to write this post so that I can become accountable for that amount, which I have done for the world to see.

I am going to use this diary to set myself challenges week by week, which will help me to reduce the terrible debt figure.

Challenges for this week are:
    Complete a SOA and post on diary. Done
    Complete a budget as I really do not have one. Done
    Open another saving bank account as I really need to start a rainy day fund so I do not use those cards again. Done
    Do a weekly food menu for next week so I can start to reduce the food bill. Done

Challenges for May / June
    Reduce the food bill
    Reduce my petrol bill
    Start to de-clutter the house and sell all stuff on ebay / car boot sales to generate some extra cash.
    See if I can reduce any of my DD phone, gas, electricity etc.
    Do a spreadsheet for a budget so I can see what I am spending all my money on.

Most of the CC debt is on interest free or very low interest rates so there is no movement there at the moment. This is one sensible thing I have done recently.

Feel free to offer me any advice you feel may help because I feel like I am ready for this and today is the start of the rest of my life that this debt is reduced and I can wave goodbye to each of the four cards that are always in the back of my mind.

Sorry to go on but I am one of those people that if it is on a list I generally do it so from now on this diary is going to be my list.

Take care Say No to Credit Card Debt
    Last edited by Say No to Credit Cards; 26-05-2018 at 3:31 PM.
Page 8
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 1st Jul 18, 9:13 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    Great news about the balance transfers, it really does help.

The good thing in our house, is that we are real breakfast people, so we do tend to eat eggs on toast with bacon or something for breakfast. I try and avoid the snacking on anything that is not fruit. Booze we have had a big cull of...thats a massive expense (although not something I can blame this month on). OH has a thing for chutneys, jams, pickles etc etc. He could honestly spend the entire budget on it I swear. I'm also quite picky about meat quality, so I think I do really need to become a lot more savvy about what will fill us up.
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 2nd Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Morning everybody,

Another amazing day, it is great, I love it when the weather is like this.

So what can I tell you all.

Put the petrol into the car yesterday for the months amount. I am going to try and use my bike and walk more this month as well as jumping in the car with other people when I can. For example if my son is going out and he is going past the post office I will get in with him go into the post office and walk back.

Food shop is going to be tomorrow as it has been pushed back a day again. I am finding this is working really well. So tonight I am going to do a plan for the full week and only buy what is needed. I feel that because it is a new month budget I could go crazy and then struggle for the rest of the month, and I really do not want to do that.

Credit Cards - All the balance transfers have gone through now which is fantastic news. The only amount I have at the moment coming up soon is the 1300 on CC1 interest is going to be start being charged very soon. So my aim is to pay as much as it is physically possible from this amount so the interest charged is less. This is July's top goal. Before I started this diary I did not know what interest I was going charged and it really was not part of my thought process. I really can see how I have changed in just two months. So if there is anybody out there reading this that is thinking about starting a diary just do it, it will change your life for the better.

Tea is sorted for tonight and all is good in the food cupboard. I just think this month is going to be a tight one for a few reasons. I have been using a lot of stuff that was in the cupboard from my buy, buy and buy days. Secondly, my son is at home from Uni all day and he is an eating machine, so I am going to have to put my thinking cap on and come up with some good ideas.

I started the loft yesterday, that is going to be a big job. I was hoping I was going to find lots of stuff to go to the car boot sale with but that is just not happening. Over the next week I am going to carry on as it is a job that needs doing anyway and it keeps me entertained and away from shops and spending money. What we will do!!

The other goal for July is to try and come up with some ideas on generating some extra cash after I have decluttered the house. I do have a few things that I am thinking about but I have not worked them through as yet.

Moguline - Thanks for dropping by as always. Keep an eye on your cards I did not have any offers on any of my cards then all of a sudden three appeared so I was able to change the amount around. I know you pay a fee for that but it is nothing compared to if I was paying interest every month.

Gemsy81 - Thank you for dropping by. Food is a strange one. I think everybody has there thing that they want and like. I hate poor quality meat as well and it is a no go for me. I will not eat sausage and burgers that I do not make so I know what is in them. You have just got to find ways that suit you and your family and try and stay within budget.

Right, I am off as I need to get to work, I have a late start today but I am also working later.

Take care everybody
    Last edited by Say No to Credit Cards; 02-07-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    June 2018 Extra Income 498.00 / 300 -
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 2nd Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    I'll be really interested to hear your ideas about feeding your son SNTCC....I fear this may be my problem in years to come, as at 4 years old, he's already an eating machine!!

Have a lovely day in the sunshine x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 2nd Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 7,466 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I have a two year old eating machine. He are an entire children's meal out today. It's meant to still feed a 12 year old.....
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • lindez
    • By lindez 2nd Jul 18, 8:37 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    lindez
    Morning everybody,

lindez and Moguline - Thank you both for dropping by your comments are always helpful and appreciated.

I am just waiting for the last Credit Card Statement to come in for this month. This is something very new to me, knowing exactly where I am with the four cards. It is so much better than just plodding along in the dark not even thinking if they are gong up and up and up.

I am doing more overtime this week, so when I get paid I am going to pay all the overtime off CC1 as an extra payment.

I have also kept up with the payment a day challenge which really does help me stay focused and makes me revisit one credit card each day.

No sales on ebay, I just want one more to get me over that 500 mark.

I am going to try today to do a new budget ready for next month. At the end of this month I would have not used my credit cards for two full months. What a turn around.

So this month I have:

Made just short of 500 extra income,
    Set up tins for the annual bills for 2019,
    Done a credit check and cancelled all cards that I will not use,
    Done a car boot sale,
    Decluttered the garage and started on the rest of the house,
    Set up budgets for food and petrol.
    Stopped spending money that I have not got.

What is next for July.

Keep food budget running, but be a little more organised with batch cooking,
    Keep Petrol budget but use my bike more,
    Declutter loft, which is going to be a big job
    Keep putting money in the annual tins.
    Keep making a PAD.

Right I am off to work so everybody have a great day.
    Originally posted by Say No to Credit Cards
    Hi Say no to Credit Cards, you are doing really well.Thank you for saying about cancelling credit cards that are no longer in use. It made me phone a couple of my old credit card companies and I managed to cancel 3 !! It has definitely made me realise I no longer need or want them. I am still on the payment a day and I find it helps to keep me motivated. xx
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44 YTD 74.00OP/65860.00
    Total debt March 2018 9018.22 June 2018 8,080.00
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 3rd Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Good morning

Thanks for everybody for stopping by.

Gemsy81 and wishingthe - I just think boys are like that. My daughters boyfriend is the same. They just eat, eat and eat. It costs a fortune. At the moment my son is off all snack foods and is on fruit and he eats tons of it I feel like my house is like feeding time at the zoo. Be prepared and when they get older it does get worse, sorry guys.

lindez - I am still doing the Payment a day and I think it keeps you motivated as well. It seems to keep me focused on it as you revisit it each day. I was so happy I started phoning and cancelling my cards as one of them offered me a 0% deal on transfers for 24 months. I had a deal on another card that was coming to an end so I transferred the balance, when that was completed I cancelled that card instead. It has saved me an absolute fortune. Plus as you say the cards that are cancelled can never be used again because they are gone.

Today is shopping day so meal plan all sorted and I am going to go shopping later on this evening with my new budget tin.

I have two birthdays this month, so I have done the same as last month and done the re-gifting thing again. It has saved me about 40 that I would have put on a credit card.

July is going to be another month of not using a Credit Card, so that would make it three in a row. All my balance transfers have been completed now so I feel so much more organised and ready to start smashing these total down.

Today I am going to do something with ebay as my sales seem to have stopped. I was talking to somebody in work and they told me that this does happen. He said I need to tinker with the listings to reboot my listings when people search, so I am going to give this a go today.

I am off to work now another late starter, I hate these as I have to work late, but that is life.

Have a great day everybody
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 3rd Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Moguline
    Great news on the other balance transfer!
    I tend to list all my eBay things as auctions, but starting at 0.99. It always goes for what it's worth, and people actually get drawn in by the low starting price.
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Highest debt (01/01/2018): 23,786 As of 01/07/2018: 19,887 Total reduction in 2018: -3,899 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2019
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 4th Jul 18, 9:07 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Morning

Moguline - Thanks for dropping in. I had a mess about with my ebay listings yesterday and when I got up this morning I had my first sale in a while which is great. Today I am going to carry on doing this and add some new items onto it. Your total is looking great under 20,000 now that is brilliant. It must be great to see it keep on coming down?

Well what is today going to bring me. Firstly I have work another late today. When I get home tea which is all sorted out. Then I really want to finish putting the bag of amazing stuff that I have sorted on ebay.

Jobs for the rest of the week are:

Finish doing the front garden,

When I sorted out the shed I found the paint for the outside of the front of the house. We have a small bit around the front window that gets painted. I have not done this for a few years now so I wont to do that while the weather is nice. Plus we have the paint so it will not cost anything. I am getting really good at finding things to do that do not cost anything!

I really want to do some batch cooking as I feel this would save me so much time in the next few weeks. Any good batch cooking ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up with my PAD,

Generate some ideas for extra income once the house is decluttered. This is going to be fun.

Sort out the house insurance as it is due on 17th of this month, than do another annual tin to pay next years amount.

Take care and have a great cheap day.
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 4th Jul 18, 5:09 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Moguline
    Thanks SNTCC, it is great seeing it come down, although I wouldn't mind if it was faster. But the thought of actually starting to save for a house deposit after the debt is dealt with keeps spurring me on.

I do a lot of batch cooking, especially for work lunches.

Things I batch cook a lot (freeze well and are good for using up odds and ends):
    - soups/stews
    - chilli and rice or quinoa
    - curry/dhal and rice
    - shepherd's pie
    - bangers and mash
    - cabbage roulades (cabbage leaves stuffed with mince+rice)
    - any kind of gratin
    - savoury muffins

I love pasta too, but I find that pasta doesn't freeze well, so I do a lot of pasta sauce in batches and freeze that, then cook the pasta fresh on the day.

I often try and find ingredients that I can use in more than one dish, that way you can cook several things at once. For example if I get a load of soya mince in, I will make a load of chilli and cottage pie. If I have a lot of potatoes, I'll do soup and bangers and mash. You get the gist.
    LBM: Christmas 2017 Highest debt (01/01/2018): 23,786 As of 01/07/2018: 19,887 Total reduction in 2018: -3,899 DFD of my dreams: 31/12/2019
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 5th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Morning,

Well I had a really good day yesterday.

House insurance all sorted and it came in at 30 less than last years so that is good. Paid with my debit card and not a credit card for the first time in years.

Painted the front of the house last night so that looks really nice once again and it did not cost a penny as I used the old paint in the shed. I find it quite funny that when you start sorting out your finances you also start sorting out the rest of your life as well. Has everybody done this?

Done my PAD again today.

Moguline thank you so much for your help with the batch cooking this is something that I really need to do as I just think it will save me a lot of time.

Credit Cards - At their highest the balances on all the cards was 39942 in April 2018.

At the end of June the balances was 37618.45. I am so pleased with this up to now.

This balance consists of:

CC1 - 5885.00 0%
    CC2 - 8899.45 0%
    CC3 - 18801.00 All on 0% but some of the balance will go onto usual rate in September
    CC4 - 4033.00 2.89% PA

I am going to only pay minimum payments of CC1, 2 and 4. Any overpayments are going to CC$ as the 0% promotion is due to end in September so I really need to pay as much of this as possible then try and find a 0% deal for the remainder if that is possible.

I am really looking forward to seeing these totals come down in the next few months.

Had three ebay sales yesterday and today with a profit of 23.66 after postage and fees. I really need to up my game with ebay if I have any hope of reaching my 500 extra income goal this month.

Any way must dash as I have a lot to do before work.

Take care everybody
    Last edited by Say No to Credit Cards; 05-07-2018 at 3:13 PM.
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 5th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Moguline
    That is fantastic progress on the credit card balances, you should be so proud of yourself!

I'm definitely finding I am generally sorting my life out a lot more since starting to sort out my finances. It's a definite "get the head out of the sand" attitude that's starting to spread to everything else in my life.
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 5th Jul 18, 5:07 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    So spring cleaning my life is not just me then. If I am honest it is a really good feeling, knowing that everything is getting sorted out so it will be so much better in times to come.
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 6th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Morning everybody,

House insurance all sorted and paid for for another years. I got it 12 less than I paid last year so I was happy with that. Also paid for it with my debit card for the first time in years. So weekly tin now set up for next years amount. I am loving these tins, it is making me feel more secure and ready for all the annual bills next years.

The next one is car insurance that is due the middle of next month. So any extra income made this month can go towards the car insurance as I am not going to be putting that on a credit card. This is the last annual bill that will need paying. So after this all the extra income can be paid on the credit cards.

Jobs for the weekend:

Finish the front garden,
    Paint the small little bit at the front of the house,
    Carry on with sorting the loft out,
    Get up to date with the washing and ironing.

Because all I seem to be dong lately is either sorting stuff out or doing house maintenance jobs that we have already got the stuff for I feel like I would like to do something nice for a change. It does not need to cost any money so I have been trying to think of a few ideas of things that I could do. I usually take my dogs on long walks but because of the weather being so hot I have not been doing this and think I am missing it. So I need to come up with some ideas.

I have got some overtime in work next week which is great and the extra income will be appreciated.

Also I have got one more birthday towards the end of the month. When I was sorting out the loft I came across a present that had been given to my daughter that she did not want that would be perfect for this person. So I have put that to one side and another 20 - 25 has been saved / not put onto a card.

All I keep asking myself is Why did I not do this before now?

Right I must dash, so everybody have a great day.
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 9th Jul 18, 8:26 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    As you know SNTCC, I totally agree with you on the 'life decluttering' - it feels so good mentally, I have to say.

I'm very envious of your stash of gifts.....I don't seem to have that much lying around here (well not anything of much use anyway!).

Regarding your yearly tins - are they actual, physical tins that you keep in the house, or virtual pots?
    • lindez
    • By lindez 9th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    lindez
    Morning Say No to Credit Cards, this is great news on your credit cards coming down in the right direction well done to you. xx
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44 YTD 74.00OP/65860.00
    Total debt March 2018 9018.22 June 2018 8,080.00
    • Say No to Credit Cards
    • By Say No to Credit Cards 12th Jul 18, 1:40 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Say No to Credit Cards
    Hi Everybody,

Sorry I have been posting the past few days but I have been away with work, and it seemed every second was taken up with work related stuff. Any way back home now and everything can get back to normal once again.

I have still been making a PAD whilst away as I did not want to brake the habit of doing that. I actually like rounding down my bank account each day and paying a small amount from one of the credit cards, it really does help me to refocus.

I really have not done much this week with being away until today with work. So I think I am going to have a night off and get back on the wagon again in the morning.

Gemsy81 - I have about three big boxes of gift stuff in the loft so I do have quite a lot to go at which at the moment is saving me quite a bit when birthdays are coming around. I have another birthday next week so I have sorted out a gift for the person so I must have saved another 20.

As for my annual tins. Yes they are actual tins. They really were very cheap when I bought them. They are sealed and you cannot open them unless you use a tin opener which is great for me as you cannot get at the cash. Each week I am putting the allocated money in each so next years annual bills will all be sorted.

lindez - Thank you for dropping by. I am made up with my progress up to now. When I have looked back on my credit report my balance was going up each month, and had been for about 2 years. So the habit has been broken and I am not using the credit cards at all and the balance is coming down each month now. I really am in a far happy place than I was being starting this diary.

Right I am off to catch up with what has been going on in my house whilst I have been away.

Take care everybody
    July 2018 46.75 / 500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter