Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 32,229Posts
    • 63,625Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Feel new expensive hobby coming on.....
    • 22nd May 18, 7:22 PM
    Feel new expensive hobby coming on..... 22nd May 18 at 7:22 PM
    We moved house in 2015 and are still stocking the large garden, which had been terribly neglected.

Last weekend we erected a pergola. It looks pretty bare and I just suddenly thought I would like some rambling roses over it.

We don't know much about roses so decided to go to David Austin Roses to get advice and buy one.

Now despite living five miles away from this place for nearly all our lives, (we're in our late 60s) neither of us have ever visited. We've never been keen on roses, they always seem to need a lot of attention and most of the ones we have seen are not bee-friendly as a bee can't get inside.

We expected just a few greenhouses in a field. They are there (more than a few!) but there arealso beautiful rose meadows and rose gardens all laid out, a lovely place to spend an afternoon, even though most of them are not in bloom at this time.

We then had tea/coffee in the lovely coffee shop, my Earl Grey came in a beautiful teapot with matching china cup and saucer and milk jug.

Anyway, we then went to get advice on buying the rose. We were directed to one of the rose experts who turned out to be someone my husband had taught before he retired. She gave us advice and helped us to chose a suitable rose. She gave us a beautifully informative catalogue too.

I actually never realised that there were so many roses, nor that David Austin had invented so many of them, nor that many are bee-friendly, nor that they are internationally famous (Apparently he did some for the recent Royal Wedding). Fancy living so close for so long and not knowing!

Anyway, we spent the rest of the weekend looking through the catalogue and fell in love with roses.

We went back today and bought a second one for our pergola, as one will not be enough

We have decided that our front garden, which we have not yet done to our taste, is going to be a rose garden. We will start this in 2019 and will ask my husband's ex-pupil's advice on which roses to plant.

So...as the thread title - a new expensive hobby coming on!

This is the rose we bought: https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/the-lady-of-the-lake-rambling-rose
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 22-05-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Page 1
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 22nd May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 7,622 Thanks
    tootallulah
    • 22nd May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 7:52 PM
    I moved into a house with a beautiful rose garden at the front, the scent is wonderful - they are a huge pleasure. All hobbies are expensive when they become an obsession - enjoy.
    Mortgage House £45,000, 26 January 2018, 17th September 2018 £1,000.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 22nd May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 22nd May 18, 7:56 PM
    • 22nd May 18, 7:56 PM
    I have Rosa 'Madame Alfred Carrière' on the pergola, bought from David Austin in 2015. It's now more than 75% covered the woodwork
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 31st May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 25,616 Posts
    • 104,700 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 31st May 18, 4:16 PM
    • 31st May 18, 4:16 PM
    You think you've got the bug now?

Just you wait until you open the door/window in a couple of years and gradually get waves of scent drift over you, all slightly different, all absolutely perfect.

[NB - you have to have scented ones]
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    • 11,372 Posts
    • 77,915 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 1st Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1st Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    I was never one for roses. And then I "discovered" them a few years ago.

I agree with Jo Jo I always get scented ones.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Jun 18, 7:08 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,625 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 2nd Jun 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2nd Jun 18, 7:08 AM
    Thank you all for your comments.

I think we will absolutely make sure we get scented ones!!

Will update as and when.
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 2nd Jun 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 2nd Jun 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2nd Jun 18, 10:20 AM
    We love roses and have got a lot, we tried to get as many different ones as we could preferably scented ones but have a few non scented. We've got a couple of arches and a pergola which some climbing ones are on.

We didn't bother with the David Austin ones even though there is a centre for them near the garden centre we visit.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 2nd Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 3,629 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 2nd Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2nd Jun 18, 11:04 AM
    I bought a couple of climbers from David Austin back in March. One, The Pilgrim, is growing at an amazing pace in a shady corner. The other (Blush Noisette?) is about to bloom with literally hundreds of buds. They're the healthiest roses in my garden and are so far are untouched by the plague of various bugs attacking the others.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 2nd Jun 18, 11:02 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    • 2nd Jun 18, 11:02 PM
    • 2nd Jun 18, 11:02 PM
    We were never keen on roses either, till we discovered the wonderful David Austin ones at our local nursery when we lived in Wiltshire. When we moved to the West Midlands in 2014 and realised that the David Austin nursery was just up the road we were in seventh heaven! We spent a small fortune there and went regularly during the flowering season to just enjoy the sight and scents!

Now we've bought; a cottage with land in Wales we're creating a large David Austin rose bed that I'm having huge fun with.......have just bought about forty roses (not done yet either!!!) and even went on a road trip back to the West Midlands specially to go to David Austin! You can buy online, but it's just not the same, lol!

Enjoy your new (expensive, but thoroughly rewarding) hobby
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 3rd Jun 18, 6:16 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,625 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We were never keen on roses either, till we discovered the wonderful David Austin ones at our local nursery when we lived in Wiltshire. When we moved to the West Midlands in 2014 and realised that the David Austin nursery was just up the road we were in seventh heaven! We spent a small fortune there and went regularly during the flowering season to just enjoy the sight and scents!

Now we've bought; a cottage with land in Wales we're creating a large David Austin rose bed that I'm having huge fun with.......have just bought about forty roses (not done yet either!!!) and even went on a road trip back to the West Midlands specially to go to David Austin! You can buy online, but it's just not the same, lol!

Enjoy your new (expensive, but thoroughly rewarding) hobby
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    We have lived only a few miles away from David Austin's Nursery all our lives and have only just visited! What a gem we have missed all our lives, will certainly make up for lost time

https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_C._H._Austin
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/plant-centre-and-gardens
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 03-06-2018 at 6:30 AM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Apr 19, 7:22 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,625 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    You think you've got the bug now?

Just you wait until you open the door/window in a couple of years and gradually get waves of scent drift over you, all slightly different, all absolutely perfect.

[NB - you have to have scented ones]
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Resurrected this thread to say the expensive hobby has stuck

And we have now bought more roses for our back patio, all scented, and all from David Austin.

These are the ones we have :

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/harlow-carr
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/lady-emma-hamilton
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/gertrude-jekyll

This one for the front garden :
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/tottering-by-gently

and this one for a trellis by the shed:
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/malvern-hills-rambling-rose

I am hoping to buy this one soon as I don't have a white one:
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/desdemona

My husband says he is going to ban me from visitin David Austin Roses
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Apr 19, 7:29 AM
    • 32,229 Posts
    • 63,625 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Just to add, my American cousin is a keen gardener and we took her to David Austin Roses when she visited. She thought it was wonderful and when I asked her if she had any, she said No. Then she said 'Oh! We have 'Austin Roses' in the States, they must be these, I thought they came from Texas' !
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 14th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Beautiful.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 15th Apr 19, 1:46 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    I wish I hadn't seen this thread. I want a trellis in the garden full of different coloured roses. I put myself off the idea but now I've seen the links, I think I'm succumbing.
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 15th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    I adore David Austin. The visitor centre is amazing and I love my hard copy catalogue... I just browse and daydream.
    Save12kin2018 #100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,234Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin