Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 22nd May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 7Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    Dental Bridge over a gap of 2 missing teeth-Can it be done?
    • 22nd May 18, 11:28 AM
    Dental Bridge over a gap of 2 missing teeth-Can it be done? 22nd May 18 at 11:28 AM
    Hi Guys,

Been a few years since my last dental problem but here we go again.
    Had a bridge over a gap of one tooth which was great for years, but last week the cap came away. What's left is a ground down rotted and infected tooth which has to be removed.

That leaves me with a gap of 2 teeth now so dentist has said need a denture fixing. However, I want another bridge. They have said.
    they can't do a 2 gap bridge. Surely this is the same procedure but with a bigger gap. In fact my brother has one I'm sure.

Can a 2 tooth gap bridge be done? I can't see any reason why it can't!
    Anyone know please?
Page 4
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 10th Apr 19, 8:48 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    "A Twonk"
    Lol, thank you. I have been called a lot worse.

Anyway, back to our argument.

I fully expect to get ripped off in many areas of my life. From the pubs to the estate agent as you say, the difference is, they are choices that I make. Dentistry isn't a choice, it's a necessity, and as an NHS patient, we are usually entitled to the best treatment available.

Unfortunately, the dentists I have encountered are more interested in making profit than their patients.
    It's very obvious. I don't really understand you defending the indefensible, but as I said before "turkeys voting for christmas comes to mind"
    I often look at my pathetic piece of dentures in my cupboard draw. 258 for a piece of plastic that didn't fit properly, made me lisp for the 2 weeks I tried it for, and was total unfit for purpose. Times me by how many other folk have this waste of time dentures in their cupboard draws.
    Of course, if it's your front teeth, you may have to just put up with the lisping and ridiculous amount of denture for the gap, so maybe I'm lucky to be able to simply ditch the rubbish, but I still feel mistreated.

If this is the standard dentistry, then it's simply not good enough. A 2 gap denture should be just that, 2 gapped denture, not a "whole of the mouth piece of plastic that is uncomfortable, makes you lisp, and ends up in your cupboard draw!

And from the 1st April 2019 the charges have increased. It's now 269 for standard dentist work of fitting one crown.
    62 for a filling or extraction (10 mins work)

You gotta laugh. Oh, how I wish I was in charge of Dentistry!
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 10th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 9,062 Posts
    • 10,890 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    Well - this is an argument zinging backwards & forwards isn't it! How can I cope when you keep coming back at me so quickly?

Let us take a trip to this land of Clouds and Cuckoos then, where you are Minister for dentistry.

The dentists are paid a max salary of 28k (Which many newly qualified young dentists would jump at, I'm sure). That's your only idea so far.

The Land of Cloud and Cuckoo therefore has to build the practices, staff and equip them, and pay the costs of providing whatever dental treatment the population want, regardless of how well they actually look after their teeth. What do you think the annual budget for that might be?

The NHS here in the UK provided free dental treatment for all who wanted it at the inception of the NHS is 1948. Then, extractions & dentures were pretty much the only treatment going. The demand nearly led to the collapse of the whole project, and charges had to be introduced in 1951 - which had the effect of halving demand.

How long do you think advanced dental work for all would last before bankrupting the country?

I'll set my calendar for September and eagerly await your reply!
    Last edited by Toothsmith; 10-04-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • welshdent
    • By welshdent 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    welshdent
    With respect. If a business does not make a profit it surely goes OUT of business? Given all general dental practices are private businesses how else do you propose they stay afloat??

Given the costs to run the practice run to about 60 plus % of gross income then what else do you propose dentists do??

I am not being flippant and I am not calling anyone names. FACT. The NHS does not own control or administer any dental practices. They run community clinics and hospital units. Not general practices. Those practices must meet their targets or be financially penalised. DO that they risk going bust. If anyone can square that circle I would suggest contacting the BDA and her majesties government because neither of them seem to be able to do that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

447Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin