Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,685Posts
    • 3,954Thanks
    DD265
    DD's accountability thread
    • 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    DD's accountability thread 21st May 18 at 4:21 PM
    Here we go again - third time lucky.

I dare say that from 2006-2014 I was almost constantly worried about money. I then changed to a better paid job (which I love) with numerous benefits and a bonus scheme, yet I've still got two credit cards and a loan - lets ignore the student loan. It's not that often these days that I do worry about money so when I do it really hits me hard, and I hate it and I get cross at myself for staying in the spiral.

This time last year my horse was put to sleep, and I gave up my new(ish, by that point) on finance car and bought one outright. I'll actually own it outright when I've paid off the credit card.

Since then we've gotten married and I can't blame the wedding for most of the debt to be honest but obviously it had an effect on finances generally. Our honeymoon is paid for (wedding gift) so touch wood, we've no major expenses coming up and I can knuckle down to sort this rubbish out.
Page 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 60,049 Posts
    • 251,975 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new hair
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 10th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    DD265
    Thanks beanielou!

I've just painted my finger nails as I have a works event tomorrow with a party afterwards. Still need to do my toenails and pack as it's going to be an early start, so I'm looking forward to the next one when I'll live a lot nearer. Must remember to take those jeans so I can return them on the way home on Saturday.

Managed another no spend day today. I was tempted to go to Tesco, but stopped myself because I didn't need anything. Tomorrow will be a no spend day (food/drink is all provided) but Saturday is another weekly shop day, and as we're out for my birthday on Sunday I expect I'll spend something then too. I'm still well on track for my 20 this month though (7 so far), and the more I do - or rather the less I spend - the easier it is to stick with it.

Given the works event I'm going to do the meal plan and shopping list tonight - we've got a few bits in the freezer that want using up so I'll try and do a few cheap leftovers meals!
    Credit Cards 2019 - 300/8000 paid off - 3.75%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - 0/1500 - 0%
    January 2019 NSDs - 12/20
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    DD265
    This weekend hasn't really gone to plan and yesterday was a write off in terms of getting anything done; I didn't get home until 7pm. Long story which I won't go into, but the person in question is fine thankfully. I did manage a NSD on Friday (8/20), and got the food shop done yesterday. However I also ended up buying lunch (unexpected) and then a McDonalds for tea, then having paid for my lunch today I've wiped out my fun money for the month.

I do have 30 of birthday money to pay in, but as it's potentially as few as 2 weekends left before we move, I don't think we'll have time for much that isn't packing so I'd like to put it in the credit card over payment pot. Planning to pay that in (via the Post Office) at lunch time tomorrow.

The jeans were returned yesterday - but they had a sale on so I was able to exchange them for another pair (in the correct size/style etc) and still get a 4.50 refund. As some of mine are a few years old now they're starting to wear through at the thighs and the first pair died a death a couple of months ago. The replacements I got for those are great with heels but too long for flats really, so I can now just wear the pair with the right length for my shoes.

I'm very glad that there are just two weekends left in the month. I'd like to fill up the car once (not sure how feasible that is) and then that means two food shops as well, so the budget feels OK. Anything I don't need from the fuel budget is going to the credit card over payment pot.

Aiming for NSD Mon-Fri, spend day on Saturday and NSD on Sunday. It feels doable!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    DD265
    Managed NSD yesterday and today so feeling good about that. 16 days left in the month and only 'need' 10 of those to be NSDs.

I did only pay 20 in, which I've put in the credit card over payment pot. I kept the rest out so I could have a small treat, and I got an extra 50 from family that I wasn't expecting, so that's in the credit card pot too which is currently sat at 80.

We went to the solicitor today, and have signed all the paperwork. We aren't quite ready to exchange yet as there are a couple of outstanding enquiries but hopefully that will be this week. The help to buy ISA is closed (one less account in my budget!) and the funds have been transferred into the savings account. The withdrawal from the lifetime ISA is set to go ahead as well. All being well, the notice will be handed in for our rental over the weekend.

I need to check, but I think we might be making our first mortgage payment a double one. I couldn't see anywhere in the documentation about paying pro-rata (or anything else) for the period between completion and the first payment date though. It's too late to contact Skipton tonight but I'll find out this week. The plan is to prepare to pay it and then if we have the choice, we can use the money for appliances/into savings or make our first over payment.

I have started packing, but will try to pick up momentum this weekend. Ideally I'd like to do a box an evening but it's not going to happen tonight.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 17th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    DD265
    Checked with Skipton and our first mortgage payment will just be the normal amount - no pro rata increase. However the interest will be calculated from the day of completion, so we need to do some maths to decide whether to pay it. The temptation is obviously not to, so that we have a bit more cash in hand - whether this goes towards appliances, emergency fund or credit cards.

I've been working out the credit cards and budget again. No matter how many times I go over it the numbers obviously don't really change, and it briefly reassures me that I will be able to afford what I'm planning, albeit not as comfortably as I'd like. But the thought of starting 2020 credit card debt free is definitely appealing, and my spreadsheet doesn't take into account the extra money I can make from selling things or bonuses from work etc.

My credit card over payment pot currently sits at 150. I'm tempted to pay 100 of it but holding back just in case. We should get the bonus sheets for December soon, and depending on what that says I may have the confidence to just make that payment Come the end of the month, anything left in fun money, fuel and gym will go towards over payments too. This is just that mid-month limbo period stretching on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

1,603Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin