Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,743Posts
    • 4,156Thanks
    DD265
    DD's accountability thread
    • 21st May 18, 4:21 PM
    DD's accountability thread 21st May 18 at 4:21 PM
    Here we go again - third time lucky.

I dare say that from 2006-2014 I was almost constantly worried about money. I then changed to a better paid job (which I love) with numerous benefits and a bonus scheme, yet I've still got two credit cards and a loan - lets ignore the student loan. It's not that often these days that I do worry about money so when I do it really hits me hard, and I hate it and I get cross at myself for staying in the spiral.

This time last year my horse was put to sleep, and I gave up my new(ish, by that point) on finance car and bought one outright. I'll actually own it outright when I've paid off the credit card.

Since then we've gotten married and I can't blame the wedding for most of the debt to be honest but obviously it had an effect on finances generally. Our honeymoon is paid for (wedding gift) so touch wood, we've no major expenses coming up and I can knuckle down to sort this rubbish out.
Page 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 61,827 Posts
    • 265,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new hair
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 10th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Thanks beanielou!

I've just painted my finger nails as I have a works event tomorrow with a party afterwards. Still need to do my toenails and pack as it's going to be an early start, so I'm looking forward to the next one when I'll live a lot nearer. Must remember to take those jeans so I can return them on the way home on Saturday.

Managed another no spend day today. I was tempted to go to Tesco, but stopped myself because I didn't need anything. Tomorrow will be a no spend day (food/drink is all provided) but Saturday is another weekly shop day, and as we're out for my birthday on Sunday I expect I'll spend something then too. I'm still well on track for my 20 this month though (7 so far), and the more I do - or rather the less I spend - the easier it is to stick with it.

Given the works event I'm going to do the meal plan and shopping list tonight - we've got a few bits in the freezer that want using up so I'll try and do a few cheap leftovers meals!
    Credit Cards 2019 - 1900/8000 paid off - 23.75%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - 28.85/1500 - 1.92%
    • DD265
    • By DD265 13th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    This weekend hasn't really gone to plan and yesterday was a write off in terms of getting anything done; I didn't get home until 7pm. Long story which I won't go into, but the person in question is fine thankfully. I did manage a NSD on Friday (8/20), and got the food shop done yesterday. However I also ended up buying lunch (unexpected) and then a McDonalds for tea, then having paid for my lunch today I've wiped out my fun money for the month.

I do have 30 of birthday money to pay in, but as it's potentially as few as 2 weekends left before we move, I don't think we'll have time for much that isn't packing so I'd like to put it in the credit card over payment pot. Planning to pay that in (via the Post Office) at lunch time tomorrow.

The jeans were returned yesterday - but they had a sale on so I was able to exchange them for another pair (in the correct size/style etc) and still get a 4.50 refund. As some of mine are a few years old now they're starting to wear through at the thighs and the first pair died a death a couple of months ago. The replacements I got for those are great with heels but too long for flats really, so I can now just wear the pair with the right length for my shoes.

I'm very glad that there are just two weekends left in the month. I'd like to fill up the car once (not sure how feasible that is) and then that means two food shops as well, so the budget feels OK. Anything I don't need from the fuel budget is going to the credit card over payment pot.

Aiming for NSD Mon-Fri, spend day on Saturday and NSD on Sunday. It feels doable!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Managed NSD yesterday and today so feeling good about that. 16 days left in the month and only 'need' 10 of those to be NSDs.

I did only pay 20 in, which I've put in the credit card over payment pot. I kept the rest out so I could have a small treat, and I got an extra 50 from family that I wasn't expecting, so that's in the credit card pot too which is currently sat at 80.

We went to the solicitor today, and have signed all the paperwork. We aren't quite ready to exchange yet as there are a couple of outstanding enquiries but hopefully that will be this week. The help to buy ISA is closed (one less account in my budget!) and the funds have been transferred into the savings account. The withdrawal from the lifetime ISA is set to go ahead as well. All being well, the notice will be handed in for our rental over the weekend.

I need to check, but I think we might be making our first mortgage payment a double one. I couldn't see anywhere in the documentation about paying pro-rata (or anything else) for the period between completion and the first payment date though. It's too late to contact Skipton tonight but I'll find out this week. The plan is to prepare to pay it and then if we have the choice, we can use the money for appliances/into savings or make our first over payment.

I have started packing, but will try to pick up momentum this weekend. Ideally I'd like to do a box an evening but it's not going to happen tonight.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 17th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Checked with Skipton and our first mortgage payment will just be the normal amount - no pro rata increase. However the interest will be calculated from the day of completion, so we need to do some maths to decide whether to pay it. The temptation is obviously not to, so that we have a bit more cash in hand - whether this goes towards appliances, emergency fund or credit cards.

I've been working out the credit cards and budget again. No matter how many times I go over it the numbers obviously don't really change, and it briefly reassures me that I will be able to afford what I'm planning, albeit not as comfortably as I'd like. But the thought of starting 2020 credit card debt free is definitely appealing, and my spreadsheet doesn't take into account the extra money I can make from selling things or bonuses from work etc.

My credit card over payment pot currently sits at 150. I'm tempted to pay 100 of it but holding back just in case. We should get the bonus sheets for December soon, and depending on what that says I may have the confidence to just make that payment Come the end of the month, anything left in fun money, fuel and gym will go towards over payments too. This is just that mid-month limbo period stretching on!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 19th Jan 19, 6:58 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Well, it may come back to bite me, but luckily I think the chances of that happening are very slim. We have given notice on the apartment. We'll have it for just over a month, so a reasonable overlap to get things cleaned. We haven't managed to exchange; it's looking like Monday or Tuesday. The funds are set to go over on Monday morning and our solicitor just has to email the responses to a couple of queries back to us. We've agreed a completion date of the 1st Feb and all are happy with this. If things do go south then I'm confident that our landlord would let us hang on for a bit.

I set up my car insurance to switch next month too (I actually only wanted a quote, but got sick of waiting on the phone so just put the request through online) and was blown away to get an email promising me a 150 refund. I guess my mileage is going to drop by 2/3, we're theoretically moving to a lower risk area and we'll be homeowners.

The solicitor fees were higher than we expected (though I had set aside more for the deposit than I needed so they were covered) which means the refund is really appreciated. At the moment I'm going to hang on to it - not sure whether it's best going into the emergency fund, towards appliances or off the credit cards. Oh and there's the dental fund too.

I'm pleased that I can start slimming my budget down a little bit; I've closed the H2B ISA and changed my LISA to be a tracking (non-budget) account. I've also hidden a couple of categories relating to the purchase as we won't be paying out any more on those. I'd like to be able to report on how much it cost us in the end, hence splitting them out in the first place, but there comes a point where there are just too many categories.

Not a no spend day today as had to do the food shop, but managed one yesterday. I'm definitely feeling the urge to shop this evening so I'm resisting hard!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 20th Jan 19, 9:08 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    NSD today - 13/20 for the month and well on track.

We picked up a microwave we bought yesterday (that was me giving in to the shopping urges!), it's a Samsung one which we got for 65 (brand new) when it's still 130 on a lot of the high street retailer sites. The microwave we use currently must've been left behind by a previous tenant - we were told it wasn't included on the inventory/provided by the landlord - but we know it's not ours so are not taking it with us.

I've shortlisted a few fridge/freezers and washer/dryers. We've agreed a max spend of 700 on the fridge (though I shortlisted one at 879 because I'm naughty, and may be able to find it cheaper in a couple of weeks!) and thinking under 600 for the washing machine. There are quite a few around the 400 mark but there's another Samsung at 560 with a 5 year warranty and the warranty is tempting. We won't be ordering anything until we have the keys though and can measure up, but I'd like to be able to decide quickly so we can hopefully get deliveries over that weekend.

Can't quite bring ourselves to go used on the appliances as I really like to look after my stuff so the dents/scratches that the ones we've seen seem to have would make me sad. That said, I think I've mentioned previously that our corner sofa is not a good fit in the new house; the configuration is the wrong way around. I found one on Facebook for 350 (bearing in mind it starts from 1350 new) in the configuration that we would want. I've saved the advert, and if ours really doesn't work/this one is still available, we'll go for it. In theory we could break even if we get a good price for ours and if not, well we've saved 1k.

We've done a bit of packing but haven't managed nearly as much as I'd hoped. We have another big pile of stuff to go to the charity shop so I might take a long lunch one day just to get it gone - as there's circa 100kg of weights, it'll be the loading/unloading that takes the time! We did take some cardboard to the tip though; one of the cats chews it (literally takes a bite, spits it out, takes another bite) so we're having to implement a no-cardboard-lying-around rule.

I've got one last bit of decluttering to do under the stairs - this also involves seeing what we have in terms of cleaning stuff. I have a list (of course ) but then I'll know what we have enough of and what we might need more of. The new house isn't as convenient for the supermarkets as where we are now (not a bad thing!) so it means my organisational skills will be put to the test!
    Last edited by DD265; 20-01-2019 at 9:13 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jan 19, 9:14 PM
    • 61,827 Posts
    • 265,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would go for the best WM you can.
    A five year warranty is good

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 21st Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Thanks Beanielou. It feels like a toss up between going cheap and accepting that you'll replace it fairly frequently, and buying something more expensive to theoretically last a longer period of time. I think I will have another look at second hand though - there must be some out there that aren't dented!

I'm feeling a bit twitchy tonight. Had hoped to exchange contracts today, but we're waiting for Skipton to confirm that they'll process the LISA withdrawal in time; it's over half our deposit. They told me that it's possible over the phone, but it needs to be confirmed in writing to the solicitor before he's willing to let us exchange. I've been looking to see whether we could get that 5k from elsewhere temporarily and we can get most of it from our current/savings accounts but we'd need a sub from family too. Still, if we don't appear to be making progress tomorrow I'll look into it a bit more seriously.

The refund from my car insurance is in my account already; so far it's just sat to one side until I decide exactly what to do with it. I spent a little cash earlier (doesn't count as a spend day because I'm a cheat ) so I have change for parking on Friday now. I will need to go into town to get that dental refund.

I finally got the shredding done. The next job is to pack the spare bedroom - which probably sounds like a bigger task than it actually is.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jan 19, 9:16 PM
    • 61,827 Posts
    • 265,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    A dent doesent matter as long as it works well.
    Hope you get the deposit sorted out.

***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 23rd Jan 19, 9:08 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    After signing another set of documents and physically taking them to a Skipton branch this morning, the release of the funds is now approved. We should be able to exchange tomorrow. All those people saying house buying is stressful; I didn't agree until this week!

I feel like I can breathe a bit better now though.

Up to 15 NSD for the month, which means 5 to go. I went into the dentist today and got the refund. It's just sat in the budget for now to see how things go. Also got confirmation of bonuses due in my pay next week (750, before tax/student loan). Again, all my disposable income is going to be set aside until I know what we're doing.

Still a lot - OK virtually all - of the packing is still to be done. Best get a shift on
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Jan 19, 9:12 PM
    • 61,827 Posts
    • 265,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news at last

***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 25th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    I won't lie, this week has sucked a bit! But we exchanged yesterday after jumping one last hurdle and will be completing on the 1st February. Now sorting out the van for next weekend as we're still intent on a DIY move.

I took a car full of stuff to the charity shop today, including all the glass bowls we'd had at the wedding and the weights. Whilst there I bought myself a top for 3 - a little snug right now but it'll be lovely when I've lost a bit of weight. I'm glad I tried on though as there were a couple of others that I liked but just weren't good on me. Almost bought a fridge-freezer; a Samsung (check), in grey (check) and the right spec (check) albeit an older model. However we dithered over it - I wasn't 100% sure, and OH was at work not responding to my messages quickly - so when I went back for it about 30 mins later it'd gone. Was 180, we're looking at spending 600-800 if we go brand new so it would've been a big saving even if it wasn't perfect. I'm watching one on eBay though!

I did however get a Vax carpet cleaner for 40. It's about 23 for 24 hour hire, then there are time restraints, and we know we'll want to do the house before we move in and the flat after we move out. That model is selling for about 100 refurbished, so I reckon we can sell it for what we paid for it if we decide we don't want to store it.

The worst thing about today though was having a tooth extracted this morning - the one that made my life miserable over Christmas. It didn't need a surgical extraction, and the dentist was excellent; very gentle and supported my jaw so my neck/jaw muscles feel fine. I feel absolutely rotten though even on pain killers, so it'll be a sleeping pill tonight and hopefully on the mend tomorrow. We've got too much to do for me to feel rough! Luckily my appointment was first thing today, so I'd come home and loaded the car for the charity shop then gone on to do the food shop and into town. I think if I'd stopped at home this morning I wouldn't have gone out again.

As today was a spend day (I'm up to 16/20) the weekend doesn't need to be. We've got all the food for the week, and all the cleaning supplies for next weekend (needed a few bits on top of what we already had). The packing begins in earnest tomorrow.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 27th Jan 19, 7:13 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Packing is well underway upstairs - even to the point of dismantling our Ikea wardrobes and hoping they'll go back together at the new house. Worst case we'll need new frames, which is the cheaper bit anyway; the doors and innards will be fine.

Today has been a spend day; kettle and iron from Amazon and ironing board from Dunelm using a gift card we got for Christmas. It's been really hard to choose these things; there's just too much choice! I can spend hours looking at specs and checking reviews and still not be 100%, but we're happy with the ones we've chosen. Hopefully they'll serve us well for a number of years as they aren't cheap, but not massively expensive either.

I managed to confuse my budget somehow. The budget itself was as I thought/wanted, but my account balances didn't match it by 144 so I've had to transfer money out of savings to square up. Not quite sure how I managed it, but never mind. To some extent it matters less where the money is as long as I'm not gonna dip into my overdraft, as I work to the budget, but it makes me worried that I've missed something or worse, over budgeted in such a way that YNAB hasn't flagged it.

Got some deliveries coming tomorrow so I'm working from home. Last night was quite rough - woke up in pain at 1am and 4am, despite having taken a sleeping tablet - so I'll be glad not to have to get up early. The pain now is better than it was around lunch time, so depending on how I am tomorrow I may go to the dentist to have them check for infection. I do not need to be feeling under the weather this week!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 30th Jan 19, 8:16 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    I'm not quite going to manage 20 no spend days this month and will end on 18. Yesterday was a planned spend day, but today I needed a prescription and I bought a new toaster, as the one to match our new kettle went on sale with 30% off. My finger slipped. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for tea and whilst I could go today to get the cash out so it doesn't count, it's cold and icy.

That said, I'm really pleased with how the month has gone. Trying to achieve 20 no spend days has really made me focus, plan ahead and stopped a lot of the unnecessary spends that would normally trip me up. I've managed to keep my discretionary spending (excluding hair/beauty and gifts which are all properly budgeted for) to 220, plus I've a meal out tomorrow which will come in under 15. It's felt about right, I think. I'm going to try and keep the same focus in February but I will aim for 15 NSD - it's a slightly shorter month plus I'm expecting some surprise purchases for the house. I might be the Queen of Lists but I'm sure I will have forgotten several things!

My savings account feels very low now, threatening to dip under 1k. It's because we've already bought some appliances, and they've come out of the money I had set to one side. Plus all the fees etc have been paid, and aside from the original money towards the deposit, and a few hundred into OH's ISA, everything has come through my accounts. We've talked about it though, and whatever's left out of the cashback we get will probably go to replenish some of what I've spent.

OH's account is now on my YNAB, though still keeping his funds separate. We'll gradually merge things together, I think, but we want to keep separate current accounts for now so that we can take advantage of better savings rates once the credit cards are paid off. I was looking at the MSE newsletter earlier and all the switching incentives you can get, but I think right now it's just too much to manage. This time next year though we'll be in the perfect position to set all that up!

I ended up back at the dentist on Monday, but am finally starting to feel on the mend now. Upstairs is pretty much packed and we're down to one bathroom in use! Downstairs we've made a start but having eaten tonight we can now pack up the kitchen, and dismantle the table. It's going to feel very strange. I am however finally starting to get excited; the end is in sight!
    Last edited by DD265; 30-01-2019 at 8:18 PM.
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 9th Feb 19, 4:03 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    rawr_
    Hey DD265, I hope the move went well! Have subscribed and look forward to reading through your diary
    Car Debt as of March 2019: 9,882.60 | Savings Goal for 2019 4K: 2452.27 / 4000
    • DD265
    • By DD265 10th Feb 19, 9:22 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    We're in!

Let's see how far I get in terms of an update...

House first. We got the keys (only an hour later than anticipated so mid-afternoon) and went out more or less straight away to buy appliances, having measured up. We didn't compromise on the fridge/freezer, went cheap but decent on the washer/dryer and held off on a dishwasher. I used vouchers through the work discount scheme for an extra 9% off too.

The house itself was filthy, still is in places. I'm not going to say it has gotten me down but I think it (literally) took a bit of the shine off. It also made our DIY move harder than it needed to be, as I wasn't available to help with the physical move because I was rushing to get things cleaned. We had a great team of helpers though and couldn't have done it without them. We didn't have to pay van/fuel/time so forced food on everybody - it's cost us a lot but cheaper than removals.

I ended up booking professional cleaners to do the oven, hood, en suite and main bathroom. I just couldn't face it and felt my time was better used doing other things. It was worth it, but we shouldn't have had to. I would be so embarrassed to hand my house over to somebody else in that state. By contrast, we cleaned the flat yesterday and it is immaculate. OK the carpet could do with replacing due to the mog-and-moth damage, and it wants a fresh coat of paint, but they won't need to clean it.

We love the house, and it does feel like home. I've already had to remind myself that we've only been in a week - it shows, given the amount of unpacking left to do. And whilst I am complaining about the amount of cleaning required, it's quite satisfying bringing it up to my standards. I really enjoy deep cleaning (as opposed to the day to day stuff) but could never make money doing it as I'm too much of a perfectionist. Currently taking the en suite shower apart to get in all the nooks and crannies.

For some reason the vendor had ripped out the wardrobes they had said they were leaving on the inventory? We do only need another single wardrobe though. They might've done us a favour really, but they didn't fill the walls or add the skirting in. The kitchen is a space saver and not the most efficient storage wise, so we've got some MDF and are making three new shelves to put in.

The no-spending focus that I had in January has gone by the by, but there are so many bits to get. Some of them, like the appliances, we knew about and had budgeted. Others, like a new oven door seal (wouldn't use the oven as it was so gross, then tried to use it and realised the seal was gone so it wasn't heating up properly!) or three shower heads, are thankfully one offs as where I can't clean something up or it's damaged then I'm replacing it. I did that in the flat to a point as well, but this is ours and I'm going to be so proud of it when we get there.

I reckon we've spent just short of 1800 on the moving including appliances. Affordable and within budget, though I hadn't necessarily planned to budget it all quite as we did. The spends are definitely lessening now though!

Initially we've stayed with British Gas for gas and electric. We do have a smart meter and need to get to grips with the console. I've put us on a tariff with no exit fees though so we aren't stuck and will shop around soon. Already paid the council tax bill for February and March (and had our refund from the flat) so just waiting on the final bills for electricity and water.

Debt wise, I'm on track to pay off 1000 in total this month - 200 has already gone out but I've got to wait for the mortgage cashback before I can do the rest (I covered the other stuff). The budget actually looks quite good on the whole, but we won't be making an extra mortgage payment this month. We don't need to, so it's fine.

I've not had to raid any other budget categories yet, and I think we're getting there now. As far as the rest of the month goes, we've plenty more cleaning/unpacking to do plus some DIY - I expect several more Amazon/eBay orders to go in over the next couple of weeks - and a trip to IKEA is in our future too.

ETA - forgot to say that we're both absolutely shattered!
    Last edited by DD265; 10-02-2019 at 9:24 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 19, 9:57 PM
    • 61,827 Posts
    • 265,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are in
    Enjoy the next chapter

***Keep plodding***
    • DD265
    • By DD265 11th Feb 19, 10:13 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Thanks Beanielou

Tonight we've fitted a new fixed shower head (the old one was worse than I thought when I could inspect it up close) though there's a slight dribble at the back and we can't get it any tighter. Will have a Google, might want to seal or grease it. Also replaced some tatty panel blinds for the conservatory door with some old curtains from the flat. They are way too long, but the width is good, and we had the same track system in the flat so it was all compatible. I'll ask Mom to bring her sewing machine down and we can shorten them. They don't look great, better than the blinds, but it's a short term solution until we decorate.

Also sorted out the recycling for tomorrow - a dustbin full of the sellers rubbish they left behind. Definitely not all recycling! We took enough out (that'll need to go to the tip) to fit all ours in at least. There's a charity collection tomorrow too so I'm going to quickly whip round as I can think of a few bits to put in it.

Changed a few more addresses tonight; it's funny how financial institutions actually seem to be the easiest to do!
    • DD265
    • By DD265 16th Feb 19, 4:33 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,156 Thanks
    DD265
    Decided we aren't keeping the curtains in the lounge; the blind panels are 8 each (we'd need 4) or we kept the originals so we might be able to make our own using those fittings. The curtains there are just a faff and we'd need some tie backs of some kind. Still an improvement on what was there though!

I've put together an IKEA shopping list and it comes in over 300. This includes a new single wardrobe, replacing mesh baskets in our existing wardrobes with solid ones (they mark clothes), another chest of drawers and some shelving/shoe storage for the utility. It doesn't include replacing the hinged wardrobe doors with sliding ones; that's a couple of hundred on top. Suffice to say we won't be buying it all at once.

I suppose that's a bit of a downside of bringing things with you from a different home; trying to make it work and if you need to add to it, whether to get things that complement what you have or have mismatched until you can afford to change the lot. We probably have a similar amount of space but used differently, so our new bedroom is a lot smaller than the old one, for example. I think the spare bedroom here is actually bigger but ours is the one with the en suite.

We did start some DIY last night. There aren't enough shelves in the kitchen units (and some of them aren't placed brilliantly) so we had some MDF cut to size at B&Q. I bought some sticky back plastic (magnolia, slightly paler than the existing shelves but not bad) and covered the MDF. We got some little shelf brackets similar to what you might get from IKEA with their bookcases, so by drilling new holes we can have adjustable shelves. We have put a halt on proceedings until tomorrow as wanted to get some drill stops (it's amazing what you find out about when you start googling) so we don't drill too far. But one shelf is in and it's going to be loads better.

We're still waiting on the cashback from Skipton, but once that is in I can make my credit card overpayments and I am looking forward to that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

919Users online

Martin's Twitter