Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rbbadger
    • By rbbadger 19th May 18, 11:29 PM
    • 447Posts
    • 2,437Thanks
    rbbadger
    Light bulbs
    • 19th May 18, 11:29 PM
    Light bulbs 19th May 18 at 11:29 PM
    Since when did you need a degree and a mortgage to buy a new lightbulb?

I just want to replace a lightbulb, have change from a fiver and not feel like I'm facing interrogation with bright white light torture. Is it possible to buy something that give out light in a similar way to old style light bulbs? A nice soft light and not something white and blinding?

Sorry if this is not the correct forum. I am feeling very old style as I rant in a Victor Meldrew type fashion about lightbulbs.
Page 2
    • Witless
    • By Witless 26th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Witless
    These any good to you?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-a60-b22-11-8w-2700k-15kh-dim-pack1/1097k
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 65,991 Posts
    • 387,594 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If that's to me - no. Wrong fitting. That's a BC, mine are BC3 (bayonet/3 pins)
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 31st May 18, 11:28 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    telemarks
    They don't sell my type. I think I can only order mine online, at about 10/bulb + P&P (last time I looked/not bothered since!)

Just looked again as I DO HAVE to buy some now

9.99 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NON-DIMMABLE-Energy-Saving-6000Hrs-Lifetime/dp/B076N5F41K

10.94 at The Lightbulb Co
    https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/15watt-gls-led-3pin-bc3-bayonet-cap-warm-white-equivalent-to-100watt
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You don't need to buy them.

This is a MSE alternative: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-cordgrip-lamp-holder-bc-white/48002
    • Stringerdad
    • By Stringerdad 13th Jan 19, 10:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stringerdad
    The problem is that we have become so used to using watts as a means of telling how bright a bulb is but it never has. It's always been measured in lumens it's just the manufacturers have only had to legally put the lumens on the packaging in the last year or so. Though incandescent bulbs are disapearing thanks to the decision makers you can buy 'rough service' versions of these bulbs which keep the supplies going a little longer.
    • Holyhead
    • By Holyhead 13th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Holyhead
    The problem is that we have become so used to using watts as a means of telling how bright a bulb is but it never has. It's always been measured in lumens it's just the manufacturers have only had to legally put the lumens on the packaging in the last year or so. Though incandescent bulbs are disapearing thanks to the decision makers you can buy 'rough service' versions of these bulbs which keep the supplies going a little longer.
    Originally posted by Stringerdad
    LED bulbs can be difficult because their brightness is measured in lumens like you say and there isn't a completely accurate comparison. As far as I was aware rough service bulbs were pretty much finished now. You can get LED bulbs in warm white now and clear glass LED bulbs with LED filaments.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 19, 11:56 PM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 60,126 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I wish I'd found this thread before I bought myself 3 different lamps last week

On the plus side, I feel I now know all there is I need to know about lightbulbs courtesy of t'internet, and have been pleased with the range available at Poundland, which has saved me 1-2 per LED bulb.

In fact I've bought 4 lights since NYD, including what I think is a 800 lumen torch from Asda for my handbag - which thankfully only requires batteries, so is a much simpler proposition
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • TubbyDown
    • By TubbyDown 14th Jan 19, 12:00 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    TubbyDown
    I have that many variations of LED bulbs in my house it's getting ridiculous. I should never have to think do I need a G9 or a G10 bulb!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 19, 12:03 AM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 60,126 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have that many variations of LED bulbs in my house it's getting ridiculous. I should never have to think do I need a G9 or a G10 bulb!
    Originally posted by TubbyDown
    Try a GU5.3 and then get back to me
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jan 19, 9:20 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 142,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have 12 light bulbs in my sitting room all told and gradually have been replacing the bulbs with the new LED type ones over the past year, wish I had thought of poundland at the time as my local electrical shop charges 4.00 a pop per bulb. They are supposed to last 10 years ,probably longer than I will

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January 41.45 in total spent this month Feb 38.95 spentMarch food spend so far 24.90
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Jan 19, 9:33 AM
    • 11,592 Posts
    • 12,728 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I definitely think that lightbulbs have gone from being a basic staple of home life to being a major complication for many people.

I would also recommend Poundland - they seem to try quite hard to source good quality bulbs that are as cutting edge in technical terms as the price point will allow. Electronics vloggers who have dissected them say that they are well made.

Also: Aldi (still selling the compact fluorescent bulbs, starting at 1.99, which for some applications are brighter than all but the most expensive LED ones).

Also: Wilko - a bit more expensive, but with a large selection including some rarer types. Also a customer services desk who might be able to provide assistance.

Hopefully, once LED bulbs are dominant (which requires lower prices and higher brightness) things will settle down, but for now there is technology-driven turbulence in the market.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

789Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin