Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Horlock
    • By Horlock 19th May 18, 4:34 PM
    • 1,004Posts
    • 214Thanks
    Horlock
    Rights regarding a car service?
    • 19th May 18, 4:34 PM
    Rights regarding a car service? 19th May 18 at 4:34 PM
    I just paid Halfords for a replacement indicator bulb to be replaced. They said it would take a little while but that I was free to leave and come back.
    When I returned I had a message on the car to say that fixing the indicator bulb was too difficult for them, but that I could come back into the store for a refund.
    I don't want a refund I want a working indicator.
    I've come away without the refund - because I want to check what my consumer rights are first. I gave the number plate of the car before ordering anything, the member of staff came out and checked the car before I paid for the service, I accepted a quote for the work and then I paid for the service, I have a receipt for the service, there is no small print on the receipt to say that they can change their minds - because it is difficult.
    I knew it was difficult before taking it in (which is why I was willing to pay for it - I believe that the process involves taking the bumper off the car - ridiculous I know - its a Vauxhall Vectra).
    Is there anyone who knows whether Halfords have an legal obligations to deliver the service or pay for me to get the service done by anyone else?
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
Page 2
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 34,086 Posts
    • 28,973 Thanks
    custardy
    Horlock to heart surgeon.
    You took my money and then tell me you cant do the surgery?
    Surgeon, yes Im afraid so. I wish to refund your money and allow you to find someone able to do the surgery.
    Horlock,No I demand you do the work I contracted you to do and agreed to.
    Surgeon,ah well,I'll give it a go (Insert Dr Pepper whats the worst that could happen music)
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 19th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 17,587 Posts
    • 10,668 Thanks
    motorguy
    I believed it was a nightmare to do - yes because I had tried myself. I even told them that it was tricky. But then again, just because someone who isn't used to changing bulbs finds it tricky doesn't mean that someone who is would have to find it tricky. I still don't know how vauxhall do the job - I only knew that other people had found it difficult. A Vauxhall Vectra is hardly a rare car - do you really think I'm the first person to take a Vauxhall Vectra in to get a bulb replaced? Surely if a car is that common and the fault is as common as a bulb, and I'm going to the local "expert" who changes bulbs they should know if they can't do it either before they start or after they do an initial inspection of the vehicle.

"Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store."

Very useful point. As they did a pre-inspection and still agreed to do the work - I had not noticed that point in terms and conditions as I went into the store.

Thanks for the link.
    Originally posted by Horlock
    You can stomp your feet all you like but they're not going to do the work, nor are they obliged to.

Sorry if thats not the answer you want to hear. From everyone.
    Last edited by motorguy; 19-05-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 19th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 13,628 Posts
    • 8,640 Thanks
    arcon5
    I think the point ops making is a contract was formed and they have failed to provide the service. As such op is required to have the service fulfilled by a third party as additional expense.

Usually op would be correct, despite what others have said. It is not as simple as saying op should be put back in the same position as before.

However in this instance I was under the impression Halfords had a sign about bulb fitting which covered this sort of thing. This would form part of the contract and give them the get out clause they need. And if my memory serves me correctly on the sign op would have a right to a full refund and that's it
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 19th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 17,587 Posts
    • 10,668 Thanks
    motorguy
    I think the point ops making is a contract was formed and they have failed to provide the service. As such op is required to have the service fulfilled by a third party as additional expense.

Usually op would be correct, despite what others have said. It is not as simple as saying op should be put back in the same position as before.

However in this instance I was under the impression Halfords had a sign about bulb fitting which covered this sort of thing. This would form part of the contract and give them the get out clause they need. And if my memory serves me correctly on the sign op would have a right to a full refund and that's it
    Originally posted by arcon5
    Exactly. And as per the link i gave "Please be aware that all fittings are subject to pre-inspection in-store." They pre-inspected it before they started, decided it was beyond their skills and declined to do the work.

It would have been nice if they'd done a little due diligence earlier but hey ho, sometimes these things happen.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 23rd May 18, 2:26 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar

Originally posted by arcon5
    What does that mean!
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 23rd May 18, 5:55 AM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    Zandoni
    I'd be inclined to take the refund and moan to their Head Office that they have wasted your time. You are not the first person to take a Vectra in and they should have know straight away that they couldn't do it.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 23rd May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    waamo
    What does that mean!
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar
    I think it refers to the legal principle known as "loss of bargain". I don't know why people discuss it as the bar set to show a loss of bargain is extremely high as EE found to their cost.
    This space for hire.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 23rd May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    camelot1971
    I haven't read such a ridiculous thread in a long time! Seriously OP, get a grip.

You expect a business to do something they have said, upon further inspection, they can't do and then expect them to pay you to get it done elsewhere?

I hope they ban you for life if you kick up a fuss.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 23rd May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    waamo
    I haven't read such a ridiculous thread in a long time! Seriously OP, get a grip.

You expect a business to do something they have said, upon further inspection, they can't do and then expect them to pay you to get it done elsewhere?

I hope they ban you for life if you kick up a fuss.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    This is Halfords. Banning someone would be doing them a favour.
    This space for hire.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 23rd May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    lammy82
    OP is getting a lot of unwarranted stick for expecting Halfords to be able to change the bulb on a fairly common model of car. It's what the bulb-changing service is for. OP is right to be annoyed that have failed to perform the agreed job.

However, there is nothing in consumer law that forces Halfords to complete the job or give more money to OP to get the job done elsewhere. I suggest OP takes the offered refund and accepts that this is a case of poor service but with no further legal recourse.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 24th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I suggest OP takes the offered refund and accepts that this is a case of poor service but with no further legal recourse.
    Originally posted by lammy82

And gives himself a little slap for going anywhere near a halfords shop in the first place !!
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 24th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Halfords are fine if you want to buy cleaning products or even the odd bulb (to fit yourself).
    • Horlock
    • By Horlock 10th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Horlock
    Final resolution
    For anyone interested in hearing the outcome.

After a long time waiting, I finally got around to contacting Halfords.

I used the online form on their website.

Within a couple of working days, I received a phone call from the manager of the store who was extremely apologetic. Thus we were both spared any inconvenient in court fees etc - but equally it does mean that I cannot comment as to how a court would have ruled.

The manager offered me a full refund £9, for which I needed to return to the store, plus a further £50 compensation.

I returned to the store same day, the refund was issued immediately on my credit card and the further £50 given cash from the till.

Final conclusions:

1. I'm £59 better off than had I not complained and at least £50 better off than had I just walked back into the store at the time.
    2. Halfords have gone up considerably in my estimation, especially the customer services. Sadly going into the store again, I've been tempted to spend money, as their professional socket sets are reduced from £320 to £120.
    3. I'm far from convinced that when you ask a genuine question on MSE you get genuine helpful answers any more.
    4. People's rights are almost certainly greater than most people believe.

Thank you to all who contributed helpfully. As always feel free to say you don't believe me, want to see the receipts, that I was in the wrong or any other trolling comments you like.
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 10th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    Zandoni
    For anyone interested in hearing the outcome.

After a long time waiting, I finally got around to contacting Halfords.

I used the online form on their website.

Within a couple of working days, I received a phone call from the manager of the store who was extremely apologetic. Thus we were both spared any inconvenient in court fees etc - but equally it does mean that I cannot comment as to how a court would have ruled.

The manager offered me a full refund £9, for which I needed to return to the store, plus a further £50 compensation.

I returned to the store same day, the refund was issued immediately on my credit card and the further £50 given cash from the till.

Final conclusions:

1. I'm £59 better off than had I not complained and at least £50 better off than had I just walked back into the store at the time.
    2. Halfords have gone up considerably in my estimation, especially the customer services. Sadly going into the store again, I've been tempted to spend money, as their professional socket sets are reduced from £320 to £120.
    3. I'm far from convinced that when you ask a genuine question on MSE you get genuine helpful answers any more.
    4. People's rights are almost certainly greater than most people believe.

Thank you to all who contributed helpfully. As always feel free to say you don't believe me, want to see the receipts, that I was in the wrong or any other trolling comments you like.
    Originally posted by Horlock

Well done you deserve some compensation for them wasting your time, if they weren't prepared to do the job they should have told you at the start.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12,851 Posts
    • 10,177 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Despite the half a dozen posters telling OP he was wrong, OP was actually right.

Once a contract is agreed, you can't then decide you're not performing your side of it without being liable for damages - with the damages primarily being assessed on the basis of putting the innocent party into the same position they would have been in had the contract been completed correctly.

Businesses are supposed to carry out due diligence. The time for them deciding they couldn't do it was at the pre-inspection or before.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 11th Aug 18, 11:40 PM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 3,224 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Iím glad you got it sorted, but bye then!
    People were giving up their free time to try and help - next time pay for proper legal advice if you want the right answer first time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

7,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• Follow Martin