Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martyp
    • By martyp 18th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 803Posts
    • 115Thanks
    martyp
    Post office home insurance 50 beat renewal offer help
    • 18th May 18, 10:25 AM
    Post office home insurance 50 beat renewal offer help 18th May 18 at 10:25 AM
    Hi all,

Please can someone clarify this for me as I tried calling the Post Office to figure it out and was still confused.
    Basically my contents renewal is 90 which includes accidental damage and items away from home. Also included for free is family legal protection and home assistance.
    I had a quote from them for 100 including the above benefits so I thought in theory it would be 40 then?
    If someone could please clarify how it works that would be great
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 38,036 Posts
    • 22,133 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 18th May 18, 10:28 AM
    It will be if you take out the policy and adhere to the ts & cs of the offer

Alternatively if the ts & cs aren't clear contact them for an explanation

(Do note that the insurance isn't really provided by the Post Office!)
    Last edited by Quentin; 18-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 18th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 18th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 18th May 18, 2:44 PM
    Are the policies like for like, in terms of their exclusions etc?

Their website says they will do it based on like for like policies. You take out the post office insurance, then they pay you 50.00 back within 60 days.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 18th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    martyp
    • 18th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 18th May 18, 2:51 PM
    Yeah it's a bit confusing as they charge about 50 for emergency assistance and this is only supposed to be based on the basic premium which in my case includes all those extras.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 18th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    martyp
    • 18th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 18th May 18, 7:04 PM
    Thanks all, I've just called and had someone to clarify and let me know the exact situation.
    Basically they ignore the added extras included for free in my existing renewal and add those on with their own charges.
    So they advised me their quote would be 93 as a 'basic policy' with accidental damage, posessions away from home etc.
    I would be charged 50 or something for home emergency assistance so pay about 140 initially then they would refund 50 after 60 days so I'd end up paying about the same as my renewal with my existing insurer.
    So basically the like for like excludes the emergency assistance even though it's free with my existing insurer so not quite like for like in some senses as they consider it an extra even though it's free.
    Hope that might help others considering a policy with Post Office anyway.
    On ComparetheMarket the quote for Post Office is 103 and indicates it includes Home Emergency cover too so one angle taken from the last person I spoke to was that the basic premium would then be 53 or thereabouts and already cheaper than my renewal...
    All seems a bit complicated but it doesn't look like I'll be getting my policy for 40 instead of 90 as initially hoped!
    Last edited by martyp; 18-05-2018 at 7:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,343Posts Today

8,656Users online

Martin's Twitter