Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 3,210Posts
    • 521Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Google Maps - how accurate is the traffic feature?
    • 17th May 18, 11:12 PM
    Google Maps - how accurate is the traffic feature? 17th May 18 at 11:12 PM
    Meant to ask this last week. Friday seems to be a bit of a nightmare to hit the motorway according to Google Maps - red lines everywhere. Last Friday for the first time i drove with Maps open and the A road was green. I was surprised as for the 6-7 mile drive to the motorway junction it was quite slow. 50-60mph and we were doing 30-40, a lot of traffic on the road. I would've expected it to have been orange lines for the road we were on but nope - it was green.

I thought well if this is considered green and the motorway is marked up as red and dark red then i'll be avoiding that!!

How quickly does it updates, how accurate is it, how does it collect its data (does the app need to be open? I'd doubt it as i can't see everyone having Google Maps open as they drive).

Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th May 18, 2:05 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th May 18, 2:05 AM
    • 18th May 18, 2:05 AM
    Usually once every 5-10 minutes, it isn't infallible - no system is.

You don't want to be on the motorway network any time after 9pm. There are full overnight road closures and all but one lane closures on several stretches of pretty much every single motorway and major trunk road.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 18th May 18, 6:49 AM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    marlot
    • 18th May 18, 6:49 AM
    • 18th May 18, 6:49 AM
    I remember listening to an interview with someone on the software team. The average speeds come from other google maps users who are further down the road to you. Their algorithm somehow filters out delivery drivers who are stopping regularly.

I've usually found that red = stationary traffic.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 33,563 Posts
    • 39,663 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 18th May 18, 6:53 AM
    I thought Google maps now updated from live traffic from the Waze app , that they own , at least in part . It may also use live tracking from Android phones .

I tend to use the Waze app for live traffic and live reroutes as I'm not sure if there is a lag in updates between it and Google maps
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 18th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 18th May 18, 8:26 AM
    • 18th May 18, 8:26 AM
    No need for Google Maps to be open to feed Google the data it needs - which means it is Android users and only those Apple users that are running Maps (or other Google services on their iPhones and have agreed to share the data). This means that it is usually astonishingly accurate - I've been on a random back-road in the past and my route 1/2 a mile ahead has changed to red; sure enough we get there and someone has just had an accident, causing cars to start backing up.

In the OP's original question, I would have expected that road to have been marked orange as well - as per Google's own guidance - https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3092439?hl=en

Green: No traffic delays.
    Orange: Medium amount of traffic.
    Red: Traffic delays. The darker the red, the slower the speed of traffic on the road.

But I wonder if it takes in to account average traffic volume/flow - and if the overall average speed for that section of motorway at that time of day is 40mph, is stays green?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 11,648 Posts
    • 8,423 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 18th May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 18th May 18, 8:27 AM
    Have you tried using the Waze app instead?
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 18th May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 18th May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 18th May 18, 9:56 AM
    I've found it's pretty good most of the time. Better than TMC which I had in my previous car only covered major roads, or so it seemed.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 33,563 Posts
    • 39,663 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 18th May 18, 10:01 AM
    I've had great experiences with Waze in emergency , it's diverted me through back roads in areas I do not know and got me back on route with minimal delays as it's always looking for the quickest route . It also warns you about major accident's and delays further down the planned route and gives you the option to reroute there and then , or you can leave it to take it's own decisions
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 18th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 18th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 18th May 18, 10:25 AM
    I have to say I did not really like the Waze app, did not like the routes or the traffic information.

Big fan of google maps. Find the traffic pretty good on the whole.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 7,550 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    almillar
    I use Waze all the time. I've got to the stage on my commute that I know what way it'll want to take me, and that if it changes that route, there's something to avoid, so I follow it.
    The thing with this kind of information, crowdsourced, that Google also uses, is that you need someone to GET STUCK in that traffic in the first place, for it to get back to the servers, and then out to your phone. You could always be the first user there. And conversely, the traffic could clear quite quickly, but it might still be marked as 'slow' for a while afterwards when it's actually fine.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 18th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Up to yesterday I'd have said Google traffic was pretty much 100% but last evening there were 3 road closures on my route. It knew about the last one which is every night for two weeks but the first two which were motorway and trunk roads and likely only that evening were not shown and if you weren't local the second might well have caused significant inconvenience as there were no signs or indication as to what to do.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 18th May 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6,037 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    LeeUK
    They gleam the data from any Google app installed unless you revoked it's permissions. It's not just case of whether it's an Android phone or not.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 18th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I had Waze installed a long time ago but only used it a couple of times as i believe it uses data?? At the time i had an up to date TomTom app on the iPhone but since TomTom ruined their app i now don't have a decent non-data sat nav on my iPhone.

Does Waze use a lot of data?

I should give it another chance i suppose.

• ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 19th May 18, 5:01 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I don!!!8217;t think they use much data at all.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • St_95
    • By St_95 19th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    St_95
    I had Waze installed a long time ago but only used it a couple of times as i believe it uses data?? At the time i had an up to date TomTom app on the iPhone but since TomTom ruined their app i now don't have a decent non-data sat nav on my iPhone.

Does Waze use a lot of data?

I should give it another chance i suppose.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    I can't comment on Waze, but my data usage for Google Maps was 136mb for April. In April, i used the app at least once daily to check traffic before leaving and roughly twice a week on circa 30 minute commutes.

I can't see the data usage of Waze being too disimilar.
    • John_Jones
    • By John_Jones 19th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    John_Jones
    Have you tried using the Waze app instead?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I used Waze when I drive across London a few weekends back, and it repeatedly drove me down roads that were closed for the half marathon. Once I gave up,on trying to get where I was going Google maps took me straight out on the only open route.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 20th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I tried out Waze last night.

Good thing i knew where i was going as it threw an ad up on the screen which blocked off the map.

Not good.

• Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 21st May 18, 6:40 AM
    • 33,563 Posts
    • 39,663 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Yes , that started on the last update , not good . I'm hoping it gets removed on the next update.

You can simply clear the advert by dragging it upwards
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 21st May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Tiexen
    Yes , that started on the last update , not good . I'm hoping it gets removed on the next update.

You can simply clear the advert by dragging it upwards
    Originally posted by Browntoa

Except your not supposed to touch the screen while driving.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 22nd May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Except your not supposed to touch the screen while driving.
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    Just curious how you're 'supposed' to use the reporting feature of Waze?
    Every time you're at a reportable incident - traffic, police, whatever other options there are too, are you supposed to pull over (so that you're still in the location of said incident), turn the engine off, take the key out (necessary or not, i don't know) and then report the incident? Or since you're still behind the wheel are you supposed to get out of the car, go sit in the passenger seat & report from there - in case someone spots you on your phone in the drivers seat?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,398Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter