Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 486Posts
    • 655Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Are we in a sellers market?
    • 17th May 18, 10:48 PM
    Are we in a sellers market? 17th May 18 at 10:48 PM
    I appreciate this will raise conflicting opinions, but I'd love an answer.

Yesterday morning I looked round 2 wee houses on Hereford road in Shrewsbury. Walking back in to town I saw a for sale board up on another one that looked promising, so I rang the number and asked if I could view it. I'll get in touch with the vendor and ring you straight back said the woman. Aye that'd be great cos I'm actually stood across the road from it, a viewing any time now would be perfect if that's no too short notice. I'll see what I can do she said.

10 mins later she rang back.

EA - The vendor isn't doing any more viewings this week, shall I book you in for a week on Saturday?
    Me - No I'm only down here for a couple of days so something today or tomorrow morning is all I can do, then I'm heading back to Yorkshire.
    EA - Have you got a property to sell? What's your position on the market?
    Me - I'll be exchanging next week I think and I'll be a cash buyer. I really only need a few minutes to look round, I've seen so many properties the last coupla days I know exactly what I'm looking for. If it's right I'll put an offer in, I'm a serious buyer.
    EA - Leave it with me.

15 minutes later -
    EA The vendor is unavailable for viewings but we could make you first viewer a week on Saturday. Does that suit at all?
    Me - How is the vendor unavailable? He's sat on his 4rse watching telly, I can see him from here!
    EA - I'm so sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Is a week on Saturday any good for you at all?

I hung up.

So my question is..... wtf happened there?! Why don't sellers want to let people in? I know I'm inexperienced at this, but I thought serious cash buyers were as rare as hen's teeth, decisive ones more so.

Any thoughts any one?

P.S. Before someone says it, I had my bestest tracksuit and trainers on, and clean white socks, and I only smoked like 6 fags while I was waiting... I wasn't even chewing gum! (*Ha haa ahem *) Seriously tho, the guy didn't see me.
Page 1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 9,636 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 17th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:52 PM

So my question is..... wtf happened there?!
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes
    Well, you stood outside somebody's home and pretty much demanded to be let in.

There could have been a million reasons why the vendor wasn't in a position to show you around, one of which might be that you had creeped them out by staring in their window.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 17th May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:56 PM
    I didn't demand to be let in, I asked for a viewing of a house that's for sale. Admittedly at very short notice but still. I wasn't staring in his window, the guy never saw me.

I noticed he was sat in his lounge watching telly when I walked passed, I went about 50 yards up the road and then rang.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th May 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 17th May 18, 10:59 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:59 PM
    Many people don't keep their house viewing-ready at a moment's notice and really don't want to show it in its usual state. I let one couple view my house at very short notice as they said they were "desperate " and didn't care if it looked like a bomb site. Needless to say they weren't desperate and in their feedback commented that the interior was a bit untidy. People like that may explain why some owners might not believe a call like yours.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 17th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 4,427 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 17th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:06 PM
    How can you be sure it was the vendor watching TV and not a house sitter and vendor is away on holiday.

Maybe someone is on nights and sleeping upstairs?
    They are just about to leave and go out to something they don't want to cancel.

The house may be a pigsty and needs a good clear out.

People still have lives when they are selling houses and sometimes they just don't want to be disturbed at short notice. If you are serious you'll be back when they said ....
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 17th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:11 PM
    Yeah I appreciate it was an unusual call... I wouldn't have minded what state the house was in, I was thinking more of room sizes and could I get a bath put in to the bathroom. A sink of dirty dishes/dog hair on the carpet wouldn't have bothered me.

I did say I was there til the following lunchtime though, plenty of time to run the hoover round and tuck stuff away
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 17th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:14 PM
    Good points oystercatcher, I didn't think of the first two.

I was serious, but not serious enough to drive a 300 mile round trip again just to go see it.
    • tom9980
    • By tom9980 17th May 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    tom9980
    • 17th May 18, 11:21 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:21 PM
    My in laws had a property for sale last year, it had a public footpath over the land so lots of people suddenly were going for a sneak peak a few asked to view, some were accommodated where possible.

One serious buyer who had made an offer got upset when the agent treated their repeated absurd questions with a short abrupt answer that they actually turned up to the property. She sat and cried at the kitchen table while my mother in law was still in her dressing gown at 9am one morning practically begging them to accept her offer. I doubt they would have sold it to her even if they were desperate after that.

The eventual purchaser was walking by a few weeks after their offer was accepted with family while we were all sat in the garden enjoying our Sunday, they did not ask to view or expecting too but were invited in for a quick look around. They were however a nice family and easy to like and talk to.

I suspect the op is a bit pushy...
    “In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.”
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 17th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 61,069 Posts
    • 54,284 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 17th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:31 PM

So my question is..... wtf happened there?! Why don't sellers want to let people in? I know I'm inexperienced at this, but I thought serious cash buyers were as rare as hen's teeth, decisive ones more so.

Any thoughts any one?
    Would you invite a total stranger into your house at a moment's notice? I doubt it. If you want to view houses you'd be better off walking into the EA's instead.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 17th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I've bought and sold a good number of properties. I wouldn't agree to a viewing from someone on the spur of the moment who had not yet been properly qualified as a serious buyer.

The agent probably built in the delay to give them time to suss you out.
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,060 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 11:34 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    tom9980 that sounds awful, I wouldn't have sold to them either!

I wasn't pushy, rather keen to view because I didn't have a lot of time available. I rang before 10am yesterday and was leaving after lunch today.

Shrewsbury is a lovely place and there aren't many properties in my budget, but this one (potentially) fit the bill.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 11:41 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    I didn't expect the guy to open the door and let me in, I hoped the agent could arrange a viewing then they could come out to the property and show me round

How would you be qualified as a serious buyer? About half the properties I've viewed over the last few days were short notice (as I spot them come onto Rightmove) and only having called the EA. It was sometimes short notice and I squeezed a lot of viewings into my trip, but is that not what usually happens?
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 17th May 18, 11:43 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Why didn't you knock on the door and say you'd seen the sign, would it be convenient (and bypass the agent although the vendor would still be liable for the fees in most cases).
    Compensation/Refunds - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,060 | Tax Avoidance - £107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th May 18, 11:51 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Ooh I couldn't have Mutton Geoff - that sees a bit too cheeky. If I had the nerve I perhaps would have....
    • Bass_9
    • By Bass_9 18th May 18, 5:55 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Bass_9
    The vendor may have felt unwell, they could have been on a nightshift that night, house may have been untidy etc... Lots of valid reasons.

Just because it was inconvenient for you It doesn't mean they're being awkward... it's their house at the end of the day so if they simply couldn't be arsed that day then so be it.

It also doesn't mean that it's a sellers market, this seems irrelevant. I'd say my area is a sellers market because decent houses generally go very very quickly and there are lots of buyers in competition for them.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 18th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    ProDave
    I would have ignored the agent, and gone and knocked on the door "I'm just in the area for today and notice your house is for sale ,,, "
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 96,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's a seller's market if the seller is just hoping to move and not greatly committed one way or the other.

There are two like this near me at present; both have been unsuccessfully on the market in the last year or two and they have substantially increased their prices since the last time. I'd guess they're thinking it only takes one set of buyers to fall in love with their house, who will then pay close to the inflated price. Neither property is so unique that's likely to happen though!

A buyer's market can happen at any time with any house in areas where turnover is modest. Our house was like that. The vendor needed to be 120 miles away ASAP, so put it on at a good price and hoped for a bidding war....which didn't happen due to the timing and property type. She was just unlucky.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 96,086 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I would have ignored the agent, and gone and knocked on the door "I'm just in the area for today and notice your house is for sale ,,, "
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Me too, "Faint heart never won fair property."
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 18th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 4,303 Posts
    • 9,063 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    It's a sellers' market for sellers who want to make it so, a buyers' market for buyers who do likewise.

Had you been wearing a smart shirt, ironed skirt, and leather shoes rather than your on onesie and slippers and had you knocked politely on the door and got a viewing, you would be making it a buyers market, especially as the slob seller (tv during the day; I didn't know it was broadcast then) and useless agent were aiding a buyers market.

I have seen someone loitering outside when I had a house for sale, details in hand, and offered the m a viewing... and went on to sell to them, hence making that a sellers market.

Market trends influence the market as a whole; individual sales are controlled by buyer, seller, and agent. It's not quite that easy to influence, but I bet that seller hadn't cleaned the house that morning, just in case a viewing popped up!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 64,951 Posts
    • 381,262 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    EA The vendor is unavailable for viewings but we could make you first viewer a week on Saturday. Does that suit at all?
    Me - How is the vendor unavailable? He's sat on his 4rse watching telly, I can see him from here!....
    So my question is..... wtf happened there?! Why don't sellers want to let people in?
    Sellers will want to tidy up before a viewing.
    Sellers might not wish to do viewings, leaving that to the agents as they've not got people skills and are "scared" of random strangers.
    The seller might have been minding a sick relative in another room, with viewings booked at specific times of the day.
    The agents do all the viewings and they're all out/busy.
    The person you are seeing watching the telly isn't the seller, it's their son/father/brother, or a visitor as the seller is down the shops buying coffee/biscuits.

You have already "shown your hand", that you're visiting the area - and it's a well known "tourist activity" to view houses where they have no real desire to move there, they just like looking.... in popular/tourist areas agents will routinely double check your motivations ... and won't want to "bend over backwards" to provide a free tourist destination/activity for an hour or so of their time/at their cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter