Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 7Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    Student Loans threatening to fine me 200 a month for going on holiday
    • 17th May 18, 9:13 PM
    Student Loans threatening to fine me 200 a month for going on holiday 17th May 18 at 9:13 PM
    I am going on holiday for exactly 3 months for the summer (not working). Today I've seen they have sent out a threatening letter stating I will be charged 200 a month if I don't send back this form, when I have done so. What can I do here?
    Last edited by freelancepuddle; Today at 9:16 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,838 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:14 PM
    Call them and let them know?
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    • 17th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:38 PM
    I will do but right now I am incredibly distressed by this. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. Student finance usually process everything within 2 weeks, and they're still yet to process my assessment form, so now I'm being threatened with a bill of 1800 the week before I fly.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,838 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:02 PM
    That's why you need to contact them.

There's clearly an admin error that you can only sort out by talking to them.

Anyone else's experience is neither here nor there.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    • 17th May 18, 10:20 PM
    Student Loans threatening to fine me 200 a month for going on holiday
    • 17th May 18, 10:20 PM
    I'm distraught to say the least. If they don't update my details by June the 4th, the fines will start (1800 in total) What can I do here?
    Last edited by freelancepuddle; Today at 9:17 PM.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    • 17th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:31 PM
    That's why you need to contact them.

There's clearly an admin error that you can only sort out by talking to them.

Anyone else's experience is neither here nor there.
    Originally posted by zx81
    I already have done, and they said they haven't processed it despite apparently receiving the details over 3 weeks ago. If it's not inputted in their system by 4th of June, the fine starts. I will phone them again but I've never been so distressed.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,838 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:34 PM
    Stop being distressed.

If you've returned the form and they've acknowledged it, you'd done your bit.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    • 17th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:42 PM
    Stop being distressed.

If you've returned the form and they've acknowledged it, you'd done your bit.
    They couldn't find it at first, then after two tries the guy came back and said they received it (I imagined opened it?) on May 3rd. But nobody has inputted the details in the system since receiving it, so the system has automatically generated a fine letter. It's been well over 3 weeks since they apparently opened it. I offered to tell them my flight dates over the phone and they said they can't do it, it has to be via post. So I did it on April 20th and now nobody has inputted the details.

The only thing I can think of is that I sent them my flight itinerary with my flight dates. I leave to come back to the UK the evening of the 4th, and arrive back on the 5th (overnight flight). I put the 4th as it said to put the date I return to the UK (not arrive). Now I'm thinking this has caused an error (a 1800 error) somehow. I'm not sure but I can't understand why they won't update my details on their system.

I have the postage receipt to prove it but I cannot stop a direct debit coming out of my account. So Im not sure what to do if they tell me that it's still waiting to be processed. If it goes past June the 4th, I'll be automatically fined.
    Last edited by freelancepuddle; 17-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 16,832 Posts
    • 17,838 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:44 PM
    So Im not sure what to do.
    Originally posted by freelancepuddle
    See post #2.

They are behind on their admin. It will resolve itself.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 17th May 18, 10:47 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    See post #2.

They are behind on their admin. It will resolve itself.
    I will phone them as soon as they open tomorrow. What is distressing me is that a letter has stated that if the details aren't updated on their system by June the 4th, I'll be automatically fined. So if they don't do it within the next two weeks, I'll start a year long payment of 200 a month which I can't stop (or afford - this would actually make me broke)
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 18th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 7,241 Posts
    • 6,507 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Is it a fine or a fixed repayment for the debt?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,867 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Start by checking your arithmetic - 200 a month for 3 months is 600 not 1800.

I suspect the letter may be an automated one that wasn't stopped from being sent when they told you your form had been found. Rather than being distraught, why not just ring them up and explain again?
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 18th May 18, 12:54 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    Start by checking your arithmetic - 200 a month for 3 months is 600 not 1800.

I suspect the letter may be an automated one that wasn't stopped from being sent when they told you your form had been found. Rather than being distraught, why not just ring them up and explain again?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Read it through. The fine is for 12 months.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,867 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Read it through. The fine is for 12 months.
    Originally posted by freelancepuddle
    Is it your mind I'm supposed to be reading, because nothing in your post refers to 12 months (and if it did the amount would be 2,400).

I'm out now.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 18th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 20,142 Posts
    • 33,332 Thanks
    Spendless
    Why do you get fined for going on holiday? Sorry, can someone explain.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 18th May 18, 11:31 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    Why do you get fined for going on holiday? Sorry, can someone explain.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    If you go abroad after you graduate and are in debt with student finance England you have to tell them you're going abroad, especially if it's for 3 months or more. You have to tell them if you're working abroad, send them copies of your bank statements and travel itinerary. If you don't provide this evidence you can be fined over 2000 (at 200 a month for almost a year) which isn't included in the repayments, it's a heavy fine for leaving the country without keeping them in the loop essentially.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th May 18, 6:14 AM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    unforeseen
    TBH they are very good at swearing blind that they haven't got your form and then it miraculously turns up when you start chasing them

Similar happened with my daughter when they sent a letter stating that they would take the max 196 per month because she had not sent in the overseas form.

After a phone call they found her overseas form that had been sent in a month and a half previously and did the calculation

SLC or their front line people are a waste of space. They contradict themselves, don't even understand their own rules and make things up as they go along.

Example

Yes your daughter can send her Spanish contract in as proof but we probably won't translate it and read it. WTF! you aren't going to read the evidence that you say she needs to send in? Even though your website says it is not one of the languages that need to be translated for you?
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 19th May 18, 10:12 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    TBH they are very good at swearing blind that they haven't got your form and then it miraculously turns up when you start chasing them

Similar happened with my daughter when they sent a letter stating that they would take the max 196 per month because she had not sent in the overseas form.

After a phone call they found her overseas form that had been sent in a month and a half previously and did the calculation

SLC or their front line people are a waste of space. They contradict themselves, don't even understand their own rules and make things up as they go along.

Example

Yes your daughter can send her Spanish contract in as proof but we probably won't translate it and read it. WTF! you aren't going to read the evidence that you say she needs to send in? Even though your website says it is not one of the languages that need to be translated for you?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I've found after this experience that they don't prioritize the oversea forms much at all. Whenever I sent them evidence to receive my loan, no matter what time of the year, they picked it up and put it into their system within 2 weeks. However it's been sat waiting to be processed for 3 weeks now and they still cannot give me an estimated day when it will be finalized. The only decent answer I got out of them was - yes, we have received you form, so I shouldn't be fined & We see that you have sent flight details and 3 months worth of bank statements, so everything we asked for, so it should be fine but phone back sometime next week to see if it's been processed. Keep in mind that I'm not working abroad, I'm going away for a long summer vacation. I never dreamed they would require so much.

What stood out to me that when I was said I was scared of being fined, both people I spoke to had a little laugh to themselves. Like it was an inside joke about these fine letters being handed out. I have to call back Monday to see if they have processed it yet, they're in no rush. They also told me those fine letters are to get people from overseas to call in to confirm they have sent their evidence, and are sent out automatically regardless if you send it or not.
    Last edited by freelancepuddle; 19-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    • freelancepuddle
    • By freelancepuddle 19th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    freelancepuddle
    Is it a fine or a fixed repayment for the debt?
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    It's a fine.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    I have merged two threads started with the same opening post. It is easier if you post just one thread to avoid advice being repeated.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

8,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin