Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WeAreValiant
    • By WeAreValiant 17th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    WeAreValiant
    Lloyds/Halifax Closing HELP!
    • 17th May 18, 7:29 PM
    Lloyds/Halifax Closing HELP! 17th May 18 at 7:29 PM
    Hi

I want some help with a bank issue i'm having.

So the other week, I had to go to Lloyds due to suspected 'internet fraud' on my account. I went to branch, gave my ID, but also submitted a complaint due to being misadvised regarding this 'incident'.
    Now the complaint has been resolved, but Lloyds/Halifax have sent me a letter Referenced HR/WN to say that they will be unable to maintain a banking relationship with me.
    Also, any further products i open through Lloyds/Halifax will be closed.

Today I received yet another letter, detailing that my credit card will be cancelled. My parents also received the same letter.
    My issues are:
    The Credit Card is actually used by me, has a balance.
    The Lloyds bank account was being used as a savings current account. No wages were going in/out of the account so it might have potentially been flagged up as suspicious? idk
    The Halifax account was never used so I get why they are shutting that.

I called them and asked what the reason is, they said that they could not see, and a complaint would probably not reveal the reason.
    I am mainly worried about a CIFAS mark due to holding current accounts elsewhere which I don't want to lose. Will a CIFAS warning already be revealed by a SAR?

Also the notice period is 65 days. Just wondering what you guys would advise!
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 7,167 Posts
    • 7,617 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    Nothing stopping you from submitting a SAR to CIFAS but I believe that if there was a fraud issue then you'd have had the accounts closed immediately without 60+ days notice.

No point in speculating about reasons - they won't tell you and they don't have to, which inevitably causes some angst and indignation, but, especially if you have other accounts, best just to accept it and move on.

Have they never given any clue about the 'internet fraud' that they were investigating and do you know nothing about what aroused their suspicion?

I want some help with a bank issue i'm having.
    Originally posted by WeAreValiant
    Some of us of a certain generation were brought up that 'I want doesn't get', don't let it become a habit!
    • WeAreValiant
    • By WeAreValiant 17th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WeAreValiant
    • 17th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:59 PM
    Whoops, phrased original post wrong! My bad
    The only thing im a bit peeved about is that the credit card in question was about to be used for a huge purchase.
    The only thing I know about the internet fraud is this:
    I was switching to the Halifax from Nationwide
    The switch in question was cancelled, got put through to fraud when called
    Fraud eventually coughed up that it was because of internet fraud and a large amount of transactions in regards to my actual income
    Went into branch to clarify this with my ID
    All sorted

To be fair, the exact same thing with the same bank has happened twice. Might just check with CIFAS and if nothing comes back just let it go.

UPDATE: Forgot to say, they have blacklisted me from ever being a customer as well as per their letter so i'm quite confused
    Last edited by WeAreValiant; 17-05-2018 at 8:22 PM.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 17th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,204 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 17th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:45 PM
    Whoops, phrased original post wrong! My bad
    The only thing im a bit peeved about is that the credit card in question was about to be used for a huge purchase.
    The only thing I know about the internet fraud is this:
    I was switching to the Halifax from Nationwide
    The switch in question was cancelled, got put through to fraud when called
    Fraud eventually coughed up that it was because of internet fraud and a large amount of transactions in regards to my actual income
    Went into branch to clarify this with my ID
    All sorted

To be fair, the exact same thing with the same bank has happened twice. Might just check with CIFAS and if nothing comes back just let it go.

UPDATE: Forgot to say, they have blacklisted me from ever being a customer as well as per their letter so i'm quite confused
    Can you upload a photo of the letter?
    • WeAreValiant
    • By WeAreValiant 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WeAreValiant
    • 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    Sorry new forum user so it won't let me post the image directly.

It is at the following link:
    i.imgur.com/5GYx9P2.png

Same letter from Halifax then another that says my Halifax credit card will close in 65 days.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 17th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 58,528 Posts
    • 51,887 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 17th May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:59 PM
    Given your lack of account activity, two "incidents" and submiting a complaint. You are probably deemed not worth having as a customer. Purely a commercial decision.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 24,780 Posts
    • 11,989 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 17th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:36 PM
    Care to share more about the 'incident' which you were advised on?
    Were you abusive at all to a member of staff - if it was a telephone contact they will have a recording of the call.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • WeAreValiant
    • By WeAreValiant 17th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WeAreValiant
    • 17th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:40 PM
    No not at all! By incident I mean they blocked me for fraud on 2 separate occasions sorry for poor phrasing.
    The last time however they mis advised me so I just went through to complaints.
    Wasn't anything to do with abuse to customer service though
    • tg99
    • By tg99 17th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    tg99
    • 17th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 17th May 18, 11:09 PM
    In the first instance I would ask Lloyds to confirm if they have added a CIFAS marker against you. You may have to do this as part of a complaint to get an answer from them.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 17th May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Sorry new forum user so it won't let me post the image directly.

It is at the following link:
    i.imgur.com/5GYx9P2.png

Same letter from Halifax then another that says my Halifax credit card will close in 65 days.
    Sure sucks to be you right now, doesn't it?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 18th May 18, 1:10 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    A similar thread from 2015: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5202564.

Perhaps the best update is message 69. But no definitive reason for the closure.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 18th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 15,885 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You can't really do anything about their decision not to have you as a customer, but I'm wondering why they sent your parents a letter - was it addressed to you at their address, or sent directly to them?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 18th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    Robin9
    Are they joint signatures or guarantor of an overdraft ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • WeAreValiant
    • By WeAreValiant 18th May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WeAreValiant
    About sending the parents a letter too. We are at the same address but they had one addressed to them both too.
    And no overdraft just a credit card
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 18th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Candyapple
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5742860
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768330
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

5,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin