Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chyna81
    • By Chyna81 17th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Chyna81
    Vermin Under Decking
    • 17th May 18, 6:26 PM
    Vermin Under Decking 17th May 18 at 6:26 PM
    Hi All,

I moved into a property with decking and it is very old. Iím in the process of taking the old decking up and replacing with slats ect. Fast forward to today I was taking up the decking and heard scurrying. I am pretty sure I have rats or mice underneath it. Iíve never ran so fast in my life.

Iím now going to pay someone to remove the decking as Iím so petrified but the question is should I still continue to remove decking or get pest control to bate first. My fear is as I start to move the decking vermin will get into the house.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 17th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 5,868 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    anselld
    • 17th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:30 PM
    Go down B&Q, get a bait box and some bait.

There is no reason they should get in the house unless you leave the door open and they escape faster than you do.
    • n217970
    • By n217970 17th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    n217970
    • 17th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:52 PM
    Get a cat.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 18,376 Posts
    • 16,599 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:28 PM
    You've already disturbed them by starting the removal. Might as well continue. Get some traps out, but they're as likely to go the other way as in.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 64,259 Posts
    • 377,155 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:41 PM
    I had pest control in, they charged £30 (4 years ago) and turned up with a box/bait, then back 2 weeks later to rebait, then back 2 weeks later to rebait ... and they were gone.

In all honesty, I'm useless, I'm a scaredy cat, I'm a right wuss .... and I'd never seen a box, so was petrified, but the Rat Lady was nice and showed me it all and I know it's possible to do it yourself.

Buy a box and the bait. Shovel a big scoop of bait into the enclosed half of the box, lie it down .... go back after 2 weeks and top up the bait .... ditto 2 weeks later and you should see that there's none been taken. During this time you might hear/see more of them as they hear there's "free food in that box" and bring their mates, but they scoff and run off, so you are very unlikely (1 chance in 1000) to ever open the box and find a dead one in there.... the box will just be empty with/without bait, rarely rarely rarely a dead 'un.

They don't like change; the box will be change, so it will take a while before they get used to seeing it, then go inside for a look/scoff. That's partly why it takes so long.

If you buy the box you've always got it handy "in case" they come back - and cheaper than a recall of the Ratters. And you'd save on getting "a little man" in to remove the old decking.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 17th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    tealady
    • 17th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:47 PM
    Hi
    Might be worth checking with your local Council re pest control services.
    They most probably will have officers who are trained to professional standards and so should give you good advice and any charges should be reasonable.
    Just like humans, rodents need food, water and shelter. The more you can eliminate the less likely they will stay.
    HTH
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 17th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    rosyw
    • 17th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:07 PM
    You could ask the local council about pest control. or you could sort eh problem yourself very easily! Whether it's rats or mice they're going to be more scared of you than you are of them, carry on removing the old decking and they'll soon vanish Get down to your local DIY store and buy some bait blocks, these are better than loose bait if there are rats as they'll take the blocks back to the nest for the whole family to feed on. They won't come into the house unless there are small gaps for them to use as easy access, or uncovered drains etc.

Vermin are nothing to be scared of!!
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 17th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 17th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:09 PM
    I see the odd mouse running about in my garden. If they donít bother me I wonít bother them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,592Users online

Martin's Twitter