Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 70Thanks
    naughtyjo
    Critique my house please
    • 17th May 18, 6:04 PM
    Critique my house please 17th May 18 at 6:04 PM
    Hi our house has been up on the market for nearly 5 weeks and only 2 viewings. The first viewers wanted it but they had a house to sell and to cut a long story short they have now decided not to sell. Plenty of hits on Zoopla etc but feedback from second viewer was they didnít like the location but liked the house and a 3rd viewer was a no show. Getting cheesed off as we have found a house but need to sell ours. Please be honest and brutal if need be as Iím considering reducing the price but EA saying not too!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72555359.html#
    Thanks
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 18, 7:26 PM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I have to admit, I quite like the frontage - a hint of deco.

Going inside, your taste in colourschemes is... individual. This will not be helping you one bit. A tin of white paint is not expensive, and will improve saleability no end. Yes, it's boring. But...

Individual pics...
    Pic 1 - looks like a commercial building next-but-one. Is it? Streetview seems to go to the wrong place, so can't check it out.
    Pic 3 - living room. Looks very cramped. The dimensions say it's not, but...
    Pic 8 - Bed 2? Odd. Can you swap the office into the room in pic 10, and the dressing room stuff into that bedroom's alcove? Yes, I know they're not buying your furniture, but...
    Pic 9 - CRAMPED!

That apart... No, seriously - the kitchen's a really good size, once you look past that colour. The back garden's just fine. Get dimensions on the floorplan.

As for the locale - it's what it is, and the price point and location are what they are.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 64,176 Posts
    • 376,684 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    In photos order:

1] OK, a little strange looking, but I can see beyond that. Front driveway's a good size, low maintenance, but it looks a bit grubby/drab and dull. Flat roof?

2] OMG my eyes. No, no, no. All bright colours and lighting. Looking beyond that, good sized room, good number of kitchen cabinets and patio door to outside.

3] Living room looks a bit tight for space. Could live with that if something else lures me in.

4] Some might say that's a bit overlooked. Either low maintenance or blank canvas ... either way, garden's fine. Nice shed for "clutter and the mower and stuff".

5] OMG my eyes.... we're back in the nightclub entrance. OK, looking beyond that - big open space you can do what you want with.

6] Another shot of the nightclub entrance.

7] Bedroom, fine.

8] Bedroom - want to see how that looks on the floorplan.

9] Bedroom - fine, looks small to start with, then you realise it's a double bed so could take one

10] Not sure what this room is, some dinky bedroom - want to see how that looks on the floorplan and get the measurements.

11&12] OMG - whoever has a black bathroom? That's a mood killer. I'd have to live with it, but I'd grit my teeth every time I went in there.

Miscellaneous:

I don't think many would be keen on a loo that opens into the kitchen/diner.

Overall I find the kitchen/diner a "bit odd", I think it's the ceiling chunks where the walls have been knocked through.

I am not entirely sure about the bathroom size/layout, seems a big waste of a lot of space.

Bedrooms 3 and 4 aren't useful for the majority of people looking for a 4 bed house.
    5'7" wide for one and 5'11" wide for the other - that'll put a lot off (price depending)

The house does offer some interesting space, but a lot of strange space and tiny spaces. Overall it doesn't seem to fit most people's potential use of a house/space.

It's really a "2 bedroom house with party room downstairs and lots of handy storage upstairs (beds 3&4)" ....

It's a shame the plumbing wasn't dug out when the extension went on, then the loo could've been at the front and Bed4 could've been a bathroom, providing a big bed3 from the existing bath&bed3 spaces.

But it is what it is - you can't change it ......

Somebody might want it that has, say, 2 single visitors (adult or children) to stay at weekends, who'd be happy enough with a small bedroom each. Or just somebody with a lot of clutter they can't let go of. Or people with hobbies they want a hobby/reading room for.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-05-2018 at 7:35 PM.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    Lol schizophrenic decor I like that ! I got bored of neutrals so went a bit mad with the turquoise but that can be easily resolved. Thanks
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 17th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    rach_k
    I'd repaint the dining room and the seating area next to it in a neutral colour, although I think you could leave the actual kitchen area in the blue.

The living room looks small. Can you remove the thing under the window, maybe move the left hand sofa right across to the curtains to show more space to get through as you enter the room?

I'd put a single bed in the third room. I don't think I'd want to use it as a double, so show people there would be some floor space with a single bed. I'd remove some furniture from the forth room (I assume that's what it is - dressing room?). Perhaps stage it as a study or nursery.

The bathroom is so dark! I know you can't change the tiles but can you lighten the overall effect somehow? Maybe remove the red and go for something more neutral, then take the photos so they don't show such a huge expanse of black. Can you fit a lighter coloured shelving unit somewhere and put light towels and a few pretty (light!) toiletries on there?

I like the front and the back garden is fine - fine if you just want somewhere for a BBQ/kids to play and plenty of space if you're a keen gardener.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    Plenty to be getting on with then thanks all for taking the time out to help much appreciated
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 12,026 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Who wrote your description? It's awful! I'd definitely do something about your two single bedrooms and dress them like single bedrooms even if just for the photos.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 9,116 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I agree with others re colour of bathroom and the plan suggest that the bathroom is actually larger than the added bedrooms .

The plan shows what looks like an unused void where the garae once was.

Some people will be put off by the flat roof as whole estates with this design have had problems, after heavy snow. The estate near where I worked had all flat roves, which had to be completely replaced as some collapsed after a bad winter with heavy snow.

A work colleague originally lived in one of these houses nicknamed The Sugar Cube, because it had been the show house and was rendered in white, to hide changes needed for show house/office to dwelling. The colleague wanted to move after the disaster, but found the house very hard to sell, so had to take a big hit on price in order to move to an older Victorian property.
    • eidand
    • By eidand 17th May 18, 8:13 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    eidand
    funnily enough I am actually looking to buy a 4 bed house so did a lot of research so far, granted not in your area.

I don't care about colour, it's all cosmetic anyway and easy to fix.

2 things put me off, the shape of the kitchen, plus the small size of bedroom 3 and 4. The length is decent but the width makes them unappealing.

Those are the deal breakers to me.
    • Bass_9
    • By Bass_9 17th May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Bass_9
    Lack of kerb appeal - front is very stark.
    No side access to rear
    Turquise kitchen walls might be okay but the turquoise ceiling beams are really intrusive
    Dining table is cramped against the wall (The fitted kitchen itself looks quite nice)
    Lounge is OK but no feature fireplace on the chimney breast (not even a small unit with a vase of twigs)
    Building materials on RHS of garden - again all the brickwork is very stark. You can get plastic fake ivy.
    Photo 8 is just a very bad photo
    Photo 9 the bedroom looks unusable with that wardrobe and a double bed. Refurnish as a single
    Photo 10 is that even a bedroom?
    Something needs to be done with that bathroom but I don't know what. Would white grouting improve it? Not sure. But you could at least paint the back of the door.
    "cubicle" is spelt thus.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    This pretty much sums up everything I was thinking, particularly the dining table bit!

Only other thing I'd add is that you should open the living room curtains fully if more photos are taken, as it will make it look lighter and more airy.

Good luck OP.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    funnily enough I am actually looking to buy a 4 bed house so did a lot of research so far, granted not in your area.

I don't care about colour, it's all cosmetic anyway and easy to fix.

2 things put me off, the shape of the kitchen, plus the small size of bedroom 3 and 4. The length is decent but the width makes them unappealing.

Those are the deal breakers to me.
    Originally posted by eidand
    Yeah we only have 2 kids who are now 18 and 23 so the extension was done for my younger son. He had 1 as a bedroom and the other as his tv room but it still big enough for a bed wardrobe and chest of drawers. I think the vast amount of furniture makes it look smaller than it is. I get what you mean by the width but loads of the houses have put the side extension on and they are a decent size for kids. My problem now is having 6ft kids that canít cope with single beds and we have viewed tons of 4 bed houses none have proper double rooms x4 and a 3 bed is no go as they all have a small 3rd room. Itís a nightmare and my sons donít seem to want to leave. Weíve ended up buying a 5 bed just for the decent bedroom sizes and I agree I wouldnít not buy a house just because I didnít like a colour but the problem is getting folk through the door. I also think the pictures need to show the side of the house that folk think is a ex garage/void as itís actually a great space and thereís plenty more kitchen units so more pics needed
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 17th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    julicorn
    I'm not your target buyer, but I think there are quite a few things you could do to attract more people. I know most of these have been mentioned before, but I'll just list what I think would be doable:

1. Put a few large plants in post in your front garden. Just makes it look that little bit more homely.
    2. Kitchen: definitely needs a more neutral colour. The space is huge, but not used very well. For me, it's crying out for a kitchen island, but I appreciate that would be too much work for you now. But at the bare minimum, move that table into the room a bit.
    Also, maybe think about zoning, and what that space could be. You have some sofas and an armchair, but again just shoved against the wall. Maybe, if it's a big enough space, make it a slightly more separate space by creating a U shape with your seating furniture? Or maybe just put a little separating shelf between the sofas and the dining table. Maybe a rug by the sofas. It's such a big space, but at the moment it looks a bit student house to me.
    3. Lounge - good grief those curtains are horrendous. I'd pick something that looks a bit lighter.
    4. Garden- Such a nice big space, but again looks a bit sad. Try and get rid of some of that clutter on the right hand side, and think about what people could use this space for. Maybe a little seating area somewhere? I'd pressure wash those tiles too, and try to add some plants.
    5. Second bedroom / office. Looks smaller than it is. Maybe you could move the position of the furniture around a bit,so that the bed isn't so squeezed in? If it looks like you can have space either side, that makes a room appear much bigger, so I'd be tempted to turn the bed around and move the wardrobe to the side as well.
    6. 3rd bedroom. Put in a single bed. Also, that wardrobe just feels too big for that room. Maybe put in one of your chests of drawers instead?
    7. 4th bedroom. Good grief, what happened here? Get rid of all that furniture asap, and put a single bed in if you can. Instead, I guess you could turn this room into an office by putting in the office stuff from your second bedroom. That would probably make it look a lot nicer, and also mean that you could present bedroom 2 as a nice and spacious room that can almost have a walk in wardrobe feel (or maybe a little sitting area or dressing table by the window- better than having to work and sleep in the same room).
    8. Bathroom - get some white or light grey grout pens, and replace all that red with white or light grey. That will make it look way classier, more like a hotel bathroom rather than some sort of goth interior design idea gone a bit wrong.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 17th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    Kim kim
    It!!!8217;s really good to see what folk get from the pictures. The kitchen units actually go much further and there are also 4 double height cupboards but they!!!8217;re not in the picture. I guess I never thought about that as I know they!!!8217;re there. The flat roof is what it is but is fibreglassed and all the houses down here are flat roofed. The room full of furniture is a valid point as they are there ready to go to a friend so I need to get on with that and show it as a single bedroom agreed. The problem I have re the colour scheme of the back room area is that it!!!8217;s the only room with colour but I was thinking of doing a light grey and changing the slats to white in the blinds? But would that suit folk? Thanks for the input
    Originally posted by naughtyjo
    I would def get rid of that turquoise & I!!!8217;d pull the dining table out from squashed against the wall in the kitchen.

Can you pretty up the front? Hanging baskets, shrubs in pots that sort of thing.

I really dislike the black bathroom.
    Last edited by Kim kim; 17-05-2018 at 9:08 PM.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 5,703 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    picture 1 - looks ok to me plenty of off road parking (is the curb dropped - is it mentioned?). Maybe put out a few pots to give it a bit of colour and more appeal.

picture 2 - nice if you change the colour on the wall.

picture 3 - lounge looks a bit small but wouldn't worry me due to the huge kitchen/diner

picutre 4 - had to look twice to see the full size of the garden, first glance I thought it ended at the end of the grass which makes it look small.

pitcure 5 - like how you have a sofa in the corner, it there a tv there? show it if so.

pitcure 6 - bad photo as it looks as if this is the complete kitchen but looking at the floor plan kitchen is much larger with more units

picture 7 - strange to be looking a a very modern look/acquired taste in previous pictures to suddenly go to traditional pine/floral. At least change the quilt to fit in more with the rest of the house.

picture 8 - I like that with the study/office space

picture 9 - needs a single bed

picture 10 - looks like a storage room and not a very good one at that.

picture 11/12 - back to modern nothing you can do about the black tiles but sorry the red towels/mats/nets make it look terrible. Try it with white accessories or remove them totally. I don't think the pictures of the bathroom are very good, the floor plan details give a better idea of it than those pictures.

I have no idea on the price but if its about right for your area rather than dropping it, I would spend the money on making some changes to the decor first.

Good Luck your house is nice and tidy no clutter but at the same time it actually looks like a home.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 17-05-2018 at 9:04 PM.
    • sheepy21
    • By sheepy21 17th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    sheepy21
    Colour in the kitchen is too much, much more appealing in a neutral colour, the kitchen diner layout would bother me and it looks quite stark. The black bathroom I find pretty awful and would immediately put me off, but it's made worse by the red, I'd ditch that colour scheme. The photo with the bedroom packed with different furniture isn't good, doesn't look like a bedroom just a storage room. Flat roof would be off putting and the front looks quite life less. So basically, I'd tweak the colours in the house and perhaps out some plants out the front
    • missimaxo
    • By missimaxo 17th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    missimaxo
    I'm also a Donny lass and tbh I think it's overpriced for the area. I've not looked up the specific road but I know the estate and it's very near the busy great north road which would put me off. There are similar houses in other areas of Donny that are better value, that have garages and bigger 3rd and 4th bedrooms and I'm not talking just about edenthorpe.

I also echo the comments about the decor being too in your face and needing toning down. I love bright colours and my lounge is purple but we know we'll have to repaint throughout when we come to sell.
    • franklee
    • By franklee 17th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    franklee
    got bored of neutrals so went a bit mad with the turquoise but that can be easily resolved.
    We once rented a lovely seafront flat where the open plan kitchen living room was just that turquoise colour and I loved it. However to sell the landlord painted it all white.

I think my opinion would be paint everything white.

Take the photos when the sun is shining and the sky is blue. Open all the curtains for the photos.

Get some planting into the front with pots and into the back.

What goes on down the narrow corridor fro the kitchen towards the front?

Just under 6ft is not a decent size bedroom, it's a narrow single.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 10:33 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    We once rented a lovely seafront flat where the open plan kitchen living room was just that turquoise colour and I loved it. However to sell the landlord painted it all white.

I think my opinion would be paint everything white.

Take the photos when the sun is shining and the sky is blue. Open all the curtains for the photos.

Get some planting into the front with pots and into the back.

What goes on down the narrow corridor fro the kitchen towards the front?

Just under 6ft is not a decent size bedroom, it's a narrow single.
    Originally posted by franklee
    We have used that area as a study previously but at the minute my hubby has it as his treadmill and office area
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 5,703 Posts
    • 11,542 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    We have used that area as a study previously but at the minute my hubby has it as his treadmill and office area
    office and treadmill don't go but could you get some weights/cheap fitness equipment and make a small 'gym' area in this section and separate the office into the spare room with all the furniture upstairs.

A photo of this area if it can be made to look usable would be good.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 7,205 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I wouldn't pay extra for a 2 bed with a very long and narrow extension that has spaces in it that you can't really use because they are too narrow.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 18, 4:16 AM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 19,924 Thanks
    getmore4less
    more like this

starts with 9 properties in the 130-175 1/2 mile 4+, adding SSTC still 9
    out to 1 mile up to 11/13,

not a big sample and you are in the bottom end.

These are the 2 people have decided on.
    £165k
    £130k

lowering the bottom price adds £120k that looks like an unfinished project.

dropping to 3 bed we have 31/46

back to 4 beds but 3 miles 28/37

Have a look at the SSTC to see what people are offering on.

not a lot of 4+ stock around in that area,
    Last edited by getmore4less; 18-05-2018 at 4:20 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

2,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin