Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 70Thanks
    naughtyjo
    Critique my house please
    • 17th May 18, 6:04 PM
    Critique my house please 17th May 18 at 6:04 PM
    Hi our house has been up on the market for nearly 5 weeks and only 2 viewings. The first viewers wanted it but they had a house to sell and to cut a long story short they have now decided not to sell. Plenty of hits on Zoopla etc but feedback from second viewer was they didnít like the location but liked the house and a 3rd viewer was a no show. Getting cheesed off as we have found a house but need to sell ours. Please be honest and brutal if need be as Iím considering reducing the price but EA saying not too!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72555359.html#
    Thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,568 Posts
    • 9,023 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    A "deceptive family home"? Not sure I want to buy a deceptive home. Or is it the home of a deceptive family?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 17th May 18, 6:15 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:15 PM
    Flat roof, questionable colour schemes, narrow 3rd and 4th bedrooms, awkward shaped lounge/kit/diner. Sorry but nothing would appeal to me as a buyer.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    • 17th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:17 PM
    Lol I guess it does read that way thanks
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 17th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 64,983 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 17th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:19 PM
    Could live with the black bathroom and the green downstairs until I changed the colours to something I liked, but for the size of the house there is no garage and what I could not live with is the opened up ground floor - straight in from the front door and see right out the other side to the rear door with nothing in between.

Lots of people like this "modern look" but I'm not one of them.

Some of the bedrooms look a bit packed as well.
    • KL0001
    • By KL0001 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    KL0001
    • 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:23 PM
    The flat roof would put me off, obviously there isnít anything you can do about that. Tone down the paint in the kitchen/living room, this might get more people through the door. Personally Iíd find the black bathroom tiles hard to live with, and cost a fair amount to change. Could you put a single bed in the 3rd and 4th bedrooms? As a buyer the 3rd room with the double bed looks too tight and itís hard to imagine the 4th room as a bedroom with all the furniture.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 17th May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 10,391 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 17th May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:28 PM
    Sorry, but those aren't "good sized bedrooms". The kitchen diner is badly laid out - lots of wasted floorspace but insufficient kitchen cupboards. One room seems to be full of assorted bedroom furniture - presumably because the bedrooms aren't big enough to hold adequate wardrobes/drawers.
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 17th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    wishuponastar
    • 17th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:33 PM
    I quite like the turquoise colour of the kitchen area but I know I'm probably in the minority.

Agree with others about the 3rd and 4th bedroom seeming small/cramped and not 'good sized' as EA has written in bullets in my opinion. Also agree re the black bathroom tiles...maybe the bathroom looks better in real life possibly.

I would also like to have a garage but at least you have off street parking.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 45,896 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 17th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:34 PM
    Oh dear - black bathroom (as others have said).

The kerb appeal is missing too. It's the type of front view and garden that just looks "bare" to me. I'd have to add some "greenery" personally. Admitted I dislike front gardens that have just been covered over for parking - but, even within that context, there is room to put some large plants in nice pots by the front of the house and try and make it look bit less like a car park, so that people can remember it is actually a garden (which there is no evidence of whatsoever at present).

Back garden is also bare-looking and rather a lot of overlooking windows. Major big planting - HUGE plants to try and soften and dim the neighbours gaze a bit too.
    • KatieDee
    • By KatieDee 17th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    KatieDee
    Being a Donny lass myself (but moving away as soon as I could) I have to say that the area would put me off. For Doncaster, the price is quite high, especially considering that it isn't a detached. If you're going to pay 150k for a house, you'd probably try and go closer to what are considered nicer areas.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/53331105 this is very near by and 20k cheaper. Yes it has one less bedroom but it's ready to move into.

Bright colours in the kitchen and dining room are off-putting. It would be lovely if it was white or magnolia though, as it's really spacious!

Mr Dee just glanced over and said "the rooms are a bit statement-y". What works for you and your family might not work for the average Joe, and it can be really hard to look past something that bold and imagine your own stamp. I imagine it'll also be a nightmare to paint over!

I think it's a lovely size though, and your bedrooms look lovely with the big windows. I feel terrible criticising it but I wanted to be as honest as possible. The fact it's a four bed is a definitely plus too!

I think if you were to drop the price to sub 150k, you'd get a lot more interest. It all depends on what situation you're in and whether you're able to do this, but if your EA has suggested it then I'm sure they're worth listening to.
    Last edited by KatieDee; 17-05-2018 at 6:40 PM.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    It!!!8217;s really good to see what folk get from the pictures. The kitchen units actually go much further and there are also 4 double height cupboards but they!!!8217;re not in the picture. I guess I never thought about that as I know they!!!8217;re there. The flat roof is what it is but is fibreglassed and all the houses down here are flat roofed. The room full of furniture is a valid point as they are there ready to go to a friend so I need to get on with that and show it as a single bedroom agreed. The problem I have re the colour scheme of the back room area is that it!!!8217;s the only room with colour but I was thinking of doing a light grey and changing the slats to white in the blinds? But would that suit folk? Thanks for the input
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    The flat roof, strange layout, and the colour schemes would put me off. What exactly is the space that runs from the front to the back used for? It appears to be part of the kitchen but no units showing on the plan and no photos. You have a nice big area for the dining table but have it shoved against the wall, most people only do that to save space but you have plenty. The kitchen colours would bug me but can be painted over relatively easily but the black bathroom is just not to my taste at all, I would want it ripped out on day one, so would have to consider the cost of that on top of the cost of the house and it's just not worth it.

You also appear to have the only house in the street that has blocked off the side access, one of the positives of having a semi detached is the side access.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 17th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 8,029 Posts
    • 11,852 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The black bathroom would put me off, the diner looks dark (lights on during the day? Suggests insufficient natural light), turquoise ceiling beams make the ceilings look low, emphasising the impression of lack of light.
    Odd long thin area on floorplan running to the front of the house from the kitchen. (I would put up a partition wall and put in a doorway on the wall from the hall.)
    I'm a fan of colour but not the colour in the kitchen/diner, it looks like it might take alot to cover it up too.
    TBZh I don't think the extension to the side of the house has been well thought out, it's given insufficient width for the two extra bedrooms , a very odd layout downstairs and lost the side access to the garden. Might as well be a mid-terrace without that side access.
    I would also be worried about the flat roof but as all surrounding houses appear to have the same would be prepared to do further research on this.

Overall impression is lots of work needed, and (potentially) money spending on it.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 17-05-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 8,536 Posts
    • 9,675 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Lack of kerb appeal - front is very stark.
    No side access to rear
    Turquise kitchen walls might be okay but the turquoise ceiling beams are really intrusive
    Dining table is cramped against the wall (The fitted kitchen itself looks quite nice)
    Lounge is OK but no feature fireplace on the chimney breast (not even a small unit with a vase of twigs)
    Building materials on RHS of garden - again all the brickwork is very stark. You can get plastic fake ivy.
    Photo 8 is just a very bad photo
    Photo 9 the bedroom looks unusable with that wardrobe and a double bed. Refurnish as a single
    Photo 10 is that even a bedroom?
    Something needs to be done with that bathroom but I don't know what. Would white grouting improve it? Not sure. But you could at least paint the back of the door.
    "cubicle" is spelt thus.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    Being a Donny lass myself (but moving away as soon as I could) I have to say that the area would put me off. For Doncaster, the price is quite high, especially considering that it isn't a detached. If you're going to pay 150k for a house, you'd probably try and go closer to what are considered nicer areas.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/53331105 this is very near by and 20k cheaper. Yes it has one less bedroom but it's ready to move into.

Bright colours in the kitchen and dining room are off-putting. It would be lovely if it was white or magnolia though, as it's really spacious!

Mr Dee just glanced over and said "the rooms are a bit statement-y". What works for you and your family might not work for the average Joe, and it can be really hard to look past something that bold and imagine your own stamp. I imagine it'll also be a nightmare to paint over!

I think it's a lovely size though, and your bedrooms look lovely with the big windows. I feel terrible criticising it but I wanted to be as honest as possible. The fact it's a four bed is a definitely plus too!

I think if you were to drop the price to sub 150k, you'd get a lot more interest. It all depends on what situation you're in and whether you're able to do this, but if your EA has suggested it then I'm sure they're worth listening to.
    Originally posted by KatieDee
    Thanks for input my house isnít in edenthorpe though itís in Sunnyfields/Scawsby my EA is advising not to reduce but I am tempted. I think my colour may put folk off so will look at making it neutral. Appreciate the reply
    • KatieDee
    • By KatieDee 17th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    KatieDee
    Thanks for input my house isnít in edenthorpe though itís in Sunnyfields/Scawsby my EA is advising not to reduce but I am tempted. I think my colour may put folk off so will look at making it neutral. Appreciate the reply
    Originally posted by naughtyjo
    I completely misread the bit about the EA - sorry! I think dropping the price ever so slightly.

No problem - I know it must be tough to read a bunch of anonymous people critiquing your family home. I am sure you will sell your house, it has some real potential and I can see what you're aiming for. You have an eye for flair! Houses just tend to sell better the more boring they are

Good luck anyway. I hope it sells soon and you get the house of your dreams
    Last edited by KatieDee; 17-05-2018 at 6:54 PM.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 17th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Definitely put off by the flat roof. I would have to change the blue in the kitchen which wouldn't be too much of a problem but the black bathroom would be a lot bigger job.

Looks like most of us think the same.
    • naughtyjo
    • By naughtyjo 17th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    naughtyjo
    I completely misread the bit about the EA - sorry! I think dropping the price ever so slightly.

No problem - I know it must be tough to read a bunch of anonymous people critiquing your family home. I am sure you will sell your house, it has some real potential and I can see what you're aiming for. You have an eye for flair! Houses just tend to sell better the more boring they are

Good luck anyway. I hope it sells soon and you get the house of your dreams
    Originally posted by KatieDee
    Itís really good to see what folk think and is making me think about the house from a buyers point of view itís whats needed and if it helps sell itís all good and much appreciated.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 17th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I wonder why your agent isn"t giving you this advice, that"s what you"re paying them for.

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, I think it"s definitely worth neutralising yours. Most people don"t want the hassle after they move in unless the price is right so any money spent in these areas will reap rewards.

Edited to replace incorrect parsing of the apostrophe error "!!!8217;"
    Last edited by Mutton Geoff; 17-05-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • missprice
    • By missprice 17th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 111,133 Thanks
    missprice
    There is no picture from end if garden to back of house, colour scheme not to my taste, kitchen just looks enormously out of scale with not many cupboards for the size and table shoved up to the wall.
    Omg the black bathroom!!!
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,435Posts Today

7,963Users online

Martin's Twitter