Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katybunt
    • By Katybunt 17th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Katybunt
    Kia warranty
    • 17th May 18, 5:57 PM
    Kia warranty 17th May 18 at 5:57 PM
    Im new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I purchased a 2016 kia, still under warranty. We have discovered that a defective brake caliper has damaged the disc and pad on the drivers side. This is covered by the warranty however I have been told I will need to pay 60+ for the passenger side disc as they need to be replaced in pairs. Seems a little unfair to me as the passenger side would not need replacing at all if the defective caliper had not damaged the driver side disc. I have complained to customer service however they state that warranty have refused my complaint. Is it worth me continuing to dispute this? I have never owned a car under warranty so do not know what my next step should be.
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 17th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    • 17th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:26 PM
    Just pay the 60 and get the pair done, it will be a lot easier than arguing that you don't need to replace them as a pair.

Once the new pads are bedded in there shouldn't be any difference in braking effort unless the old disc is well scored or worn. However, there will be a big difference at first if there is a brand new disc and pad on one side and the other is the perfectly bedded in old one.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 17th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:38 PM
    Logic tells me that if the passenger side parts need to be changed because of a fault that is covered by the warranty, then the warranty should cover them. But logic & the real word don't often correlate.
    Have you scoured the warranty terms & conditions for the "get out clause" they are using?
    On the other hand 60 sounds good for a disc (& presumably pads) that may need changing soon anyway.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Katybunt
    • By Katybunt 17th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katybunt
    • 17th May 18, 7:07 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:07 PM
    I have had a look through but no luck as yet, the warranty info doesn't specify every part. I know that I will end up paying the cost and 60 isn't a huge amount , it is just a little irritating that the part is perfectly fine. There are only 20000 miles on the car so would expect the discs to last longer than that. I think I may just have to accept the charge. They aren't charging the extra labour to fit the passenger side disc so I am only paying for the part.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 17th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 17th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:13 PM
    At the first service of my current car, having covered about 10,000 miles I reported a slight judder under braking from high speeds.

They reported the driver's side disk was out of true and causing the issue. Even though only one was defective both were changed under warranty. It never entered my head they would charge me for half the job.

Push them harder for a satisfactory resolution. The part will cost them peanuts.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 17-05-2018 at 8:14 PM.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    • 17th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:23 PM
    I hope the 60 is part and labour. Otherwise Kia spares are very expensive. 60 ought to buy a pair of discs & pads.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 17th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 17th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:31 PM
    Run it by this crowd for some others owners experience

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 26,046 Posts
    • 34,973 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 18th May 18, 7:53 AM
    I believe there were some Kia brake parts changed under recall, might be worth a check to see if this is your model and fault
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 18th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 18th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 18th May 18, 10:02 AM
    Otherwise Kia spares are very expensive.

No they're not. I've had two Kias and spares cost very much the same as any other similar car.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • facade
    • By facade 18th May 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    Otherwise Kia spares are very expensive.

No they're not. I've had two Kias and spares cost very much the same as any other similar car.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07

Exactly, so 60 for just one brake disc is too much.

• m0bov
    • By m0bov 18th May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    Did you buy the car new?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

2,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin